CSNbbs
Game 11: Towson - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Game 11: Towson (/thread-887314.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Game 11: Towson - Tribal - 11-11-2019 11:07 AM

Senior Day. A lot of seniors who gave their all and some who are eligible to return. It'll be interesting to see who walks across that field with their loved ones.

We could end up with 20 TFr and several transfers if all our eligible student-athletes check out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Game 11: Towson - TribePride52 - 11-11-2019 12:26 PM

Seniors who have used all 4 years of playing eligibility:
1- Isaiah Laster S
2- Jalen Christian WR
3- Gavin Johnson LB/DE
5- Kilton Anderson QB
6- Miles Hayes S (Wonder if he applied for Med Redshirt in 2016?)
8- Corey Parker CB
10- Brandon Battle WR? Did not play last year, but had already redshirted in 2015
14- Chris Conlan WR
19- Kris Hooper K
21- Arman Jones LB
26- Albert Funderburke RB
38- Cal Kee (listed as Sr. on website)
42- Nate Atkins LB
59- Nick Wimmer OL
75- Mark WIlliamson OL
82- Tyler Klaus TE
85-Sean Daniel WR
91- Darius Fullwood DL
95- Bill Murray DL

Seniors (redshirt Jr.) who have not used 4 seasons of eligibility but have been at WM for 4 years:
7- Colin Parker S
17- Justin Dulaney TE (I believe that he is graduating and moving on)
18- Dean Rotger WR
21- Jordan Lowery WR
29- Jaret Anderson RB
33- Noah Giles RB
36- Tyler Crist ATH
47- Alex Purviance LB
49- Will Barney FB
66- Dan Evers OL
72- Ryan Ripley OL
79- Andrew Trainer OL
84- Kareem Johnson WR
88- Anthony Mague WR
92- Robert Omelchenko- DL

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe3455 - 11-11-2019 01:12 PM

(11-11-2019 12:26 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  Seniors (redshirt Jr.) who have not used 4 seasons of eligibility but have been at WM for 4 years:
7- Colin Parker S
17- Justin Dulaney TE (I believe that he is graduating and moving on)
18- Dean Rotger WR
21- Jordan Lowery WR
29- Jaret Anderson RB
33- Noah Giles RB
36- Tyler Crist ATH
47- Alex Purviance LB
49- Will Barney FB
66- Dan Evers OL
72- Ryan Ripley OL
79- Andrew Trainer OL
84- Kareem Johnson WR
88- Anthony Mague WR
92- Robert Omelchenko- DL

The way I see it playing out (with zero inside knowledge, including no idea who is on any form of scholarship)

Parker stays
Rotger gone
Lowery stays
Anderson gone
Giles gone
Crist stays or transfers FBS
Purviance stays
Barney goes
Evers stays
Ripley goes
Trainer stays
Johnson gone
Mague stays
Omelchenko gone

I would love for EVERYONE of these kids to stay but, especially if not on scholarship, I can understand the decision to leave. I wish the college had more and better options for 1 year graduate programs. I've said it before, there should be some emphasis put on that issue.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe3455 - 11-11-2019 01:15 PM

Anyway, this conversation should probably be held elsewhere (or not at all : )) for now.

Towson has a very balanced offense. They can run it and throw it. Their defense has really taken a step back this year. The D will have to play really tough. I believe we can run with major success on Saturday.

Game 11: Towson - zablenoise - 11-11-2019 01:48 PM

Towson has to be a little disappointed in this season with Simpson going down early and Flacco not quite living up to the preseason POY hype (he's still had a very good year).

Even so this will be a great test for our defense on Saturday.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribal - 11-11-2019 02:19 PM

(11-11-2019 01:15 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  Anyway, this conversation should probably be held elsewhere (or not at all : )) for now.

Towson has a very balanced offense. They can run it and throw it. Their defense has really taken a step back this year. The D will have to play really tough. I believe we can run with major success on Saturday.
Why should it be held elsewhere? It's senior day and this matters. Or not at all? Why, bury our head in the sand and ignore the possibility of 1/3 of our players leaving? That's a really big deal. And, if that happens, it's a clue that something isn't kosher in Tribe Football Land. When, in all of our years of following W&M Football, have we seen an exodus like that? Many eligible kids may stay and this may not be a story at all, but we darn sure better pay attention. It's also important to understand that a player walking doesn't necessarily mean that player won't be back for a 5th year and a senior can walk and enroll in grad school. Nonetheless, it's something to watch.

Also, I don't think Ripley will forego his senior year. Have to think he has a great chance to start at center with Wimmer gone.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe3455 - 11-11-2019 03:14 PM

(11-11-2019 02:19 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(11-11-2019 01:15 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  Anyway, this conversation should probably be held elsewhere (or not at all : )) for now.

Why should it be held elsewhere? It's senior day and this matters. Or not at all? Why, bury our head in the sand and ignore the possibility of 1/3 of our players leaving? That's a really big deal. And, if that happens, it's a clue that something isn't kosher in Tribe Football Land. When, in all of our years of following W&M Football, have we seen an exodus like that? Many eligible kids may stay and this may not be a story at all, but we darn sure better pay attention. It's also important to understand that a player walking doesn't necessarily mean that player won't be back for a 5th year and a senior can walk and enroll in grad school. Nonetheless, it's something to watch.

Also, I don't think Ripley will forego his senior year. Have to think he has a great chance to start at center with Wimmer gone.

I think it should be it's own thread...because it isn't really about the Towson game other than that's when they walk. It is a valid topic that takes away from discussion of the game itself.

I'd love to see Ripley stay...he's done a great job this year and will only improve. I don't think we will have a scholarship athlete leave with a year of eligibility at all. If most walkons leave with a year of eligibility I don't think it means anything is up within the program...it just means they aren't up for paying another $35k to $55k to play one more year of football. The huge loss of 5th years is mostly because they redshirted that entire class...the next one had a few difference makers who played (Laster, Johnson, Jones).

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe32 - 11-11-2019 03:31 PM

As a senior, you either graduate or you don't. So for the kids who do graduate, they have to get accepted into one of our grad programs. If they aren't interested in grad school, they will get a good job somewhere as a student athlete from our college. Those interviews start in the Fall. For those who are a few credits short it may make sense to come back and graduate in December of 2020. You also have to be a full time student (12 credits) to play on a team. I just hope that the kids make smart decisions about what's best for them and their future.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribeheart - 11-11-2019 07:02 PM

Will be curious about Fowler, also, as he stated in an early season interview that he was finished with his major classes at the end of this semester. He may be in a position to graduate after 3 years.

Big, big game for Towson this weekend, as they still have a legit shot at the playoffs, unless we pull the upset. Towson and Flacco will be bringing their A game.

RE: Game 11: Towson - TribePride52 - 11-11-2019 07:20 PM

As previously stated, Towson’s rush defense is not very good. Their pass defense isn’t that good either, but they lead the CAA in INTs. If we can even manage 200 rushing yards on Saturday, I think we’ll win.

Game 11: Towson - Tribal - 11-12-2019 11:21 AM

Interesting to compare Mathis as a TFr with Corley in his 2002 season.

I don't know why I remembered Corley as a good runner - stats don't support that and he was sacked quite a bit.

Corley was much much more lethal through the air but he had, in my eyes, the best WR in Tribe history.

If Mathis can gain some confidence through the air, he very well could be one of the best QBs in the FCS.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe32 - 11-12-2019 11:34 AM

Corley was a little tank with a very accurate and strong arm. He was a much better pure passer out of HS. Just looking at running stats is tough to gauge because the sacks count against it in college. I do remember him as being a good running QB, but no option plays or anything. He did roll out more due to his height so he got to the edge. The QB that Mathis reminds me of is from a real long time ago. Billy Deery was a very similar QB, and like Mathis, his running ability was more of a focus.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe3455 - 11-12-2019 12:24 PM

(11-11-2019 07:02 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Will be curious about Fowler, also, as he stated in an early season interview that he was finished with his major classes at the end of this semester. He may be in a position to graduate after 3 years.

Big, big game for Towson this weekend, as they still have a legit shot at the playoffs, unless we pull the upset. Towson and Flacco will be bringing their A game.

Fowler still has 2 years of eligibility left. Seems like a good way to pay for 2 years of grad school.

Just looked. Towson has Elon after us. That’s a win. Huge game for Towson in the burg. Tribe would love to spoil it after losing last year in the second half.

RE: Game 11: Towson - wml33t - 11-12-2019 01:11 PM

(11-12-2019 11:34 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Corley was a little tank with a very accurate and strong arm. He was a much better pure passer out of HS. Just looking at running stats is tough to gauge because the sacks count against it in college. I do remember him as being a good running QB, but no option plays or anything. He did roll out more due to his height so he got to the edge. The QB that Mathis reminds me of is from a real long time ago. Billy Deery was a very similar QB, and like Mathis, his running ability was more of a focus.

I view Corley more as a mobile QB than a running QB. He was able to move in the pocket and scramble when appropriate, but wasn't a "running" QB IMO at all.

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe32 - 11-12-2019 01:29 PM

(11-12-2019 01:11 PM)wml33t Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 11:34 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Corley was a little tank with a very accurate and strong arm. He was a much better pure passer out of HS. Just looking at running stats is tough to gauge because the sacks count against it in college. I do remember him as being a good running QB, but no option plays or anything. He did roll out more due to his height so he got to the edge. The QB that Mathis reminds me of is from a real long time ago. Billy Deery was a very similar QB, and like Mathis, his running ability was more of a focus.

I view Corley more as a mobile QB than a running QB. He was able to move in the pocket and scramble when appropriate, but wasn't a "running" QB IMO at all.

I think mobile is probably a better way to describe him. He was a very good runner though, elusive when he needed to be and wasn't afraid to lower his pads. IMO, he's probably the best QB we've ever had. Yagiello was great and a gamer, Knight was a precision passer, and Archer was another gamer, but Corley had great intangibles. He never missed a game and we won a lot of games with him under center.

RE: Game 11: Towson - wml33t - 11-12-2019 02:14 PM

(11-12-2019 01:29 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

I think mobile is probably a better way to describe him. He was a very good runner though, elusive when he needed to be and wasn't afraid to lower his pads. IMO, he's probably the best QB we've ever had. Yagiello was great and a gamer, Knight was a precision passer, and Archer was another gamer, but Corley had great intangibles. He never missed a game and we won a lot of games with him under center.

I'm a big Corley fan - especially because his time and my time becoming a fan overlapped a lot (graduated in 02).

But how is Lang Campbell not in your conversation of best QBs we've ever had? I'm hoping it was just a brain fart!

RE: Game 11: Towson - Tribe32 - 11-12-2019 02:28 PM

(11-12-2019 02:14 PM)wml33t Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 01:29 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

I'm a big Corley fan - especially because his time and my time becoming a fan overlapped a lot (graduated in 02).

But how is Lang Campbell not in your conversation of best QBs we've ever had? I'm hoping it was just a brain fart!

It was a brain fart. I wrote Archer, but meant Campbell. I always mix that up for some reason. I still think Corley was better.

Game 11: Towson - Tribal - 11-12-2019 02:28 PM

Campbell was fine if you appreciate that best player in all of the FCS Payton Award nonsense. Just a smidge better than Archer (rolling my eyes like a Great White getting ready to chomp on a wounded tuna).

RE: Game 11: Towson - nj alum - 11-12-2019 02:58 PM

IMO, the best QB of the Laycock era was Knight.

Game 11: Towson - Tribal - 11-13-2019 10:59 AM

Ugh, Senior Day photo. Concerned yet?

Nearly 40 players in that pic, including several with eligibility.

[Image: 203bcd0b5a22242b9fd203845654ec9a.jpg]