CSNbbs
Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big10bbs (/forum-259.html)
+---- Forum: Big 10 Conference Talk (/forum-167.html)
+---- Thread: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? (/thread-886914.html)

Pages: 1 2

Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - NJ2MDTerp - 11-06-2019 05:09 PM

I thought Greg Schiano was your man. Who are the alternative candidates? Do you want Mike Locksley?

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - mikeinsec127 - 11-06-2019 09:20 PM

(11-06-2019 05:09 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I thought Greg Schiano was your man. Who are the alternative candidates? Do you want Mike Lockley?

Other than Greg Schiano, Rutgers has only announced that Butch Jones interviewed. Schiano interviewed, but no announcement about his hiring yet. He is demanding a commitment to a huge investment in football facilities. He wants stadium upgrades, a new indoor practice facility and a new Hale Center that would be football only. That is all already on the dream list, but Schiano wants to see a written financial commitment.
My prediction is that this will still happen. Nobody else moves the needle among the media, fans and donors like Schiano. There are too many forces who want this. It will just take a couple of days to sort out. Think of it as a new dating relationship. Schiano doesn't want to look easy by putting out too soon. It's a, "If you like it put a ring on it," situation. RU is just trying to figure out how to pay for it.

Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - Pony94 - 11-06-2019 09:47 PM

I’ll put money on Moorhead

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - NJ2MDTerp - 11-07-2019 07:40 PM

(11-06-2019 09:20 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 05:09 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I thought Greg Schiano was your man. Who are the alternative candidates? Do you want Mike Lockley?

Other than Greg Schiano, Rutgers has only announced that Butch Jones interviewed. Schiano interviewed, but no announcement about his hiring yet. He is demanding a commitment to a huge investment in football facilities. He wants stadium upgrades, a new indoor practice facility and a new Hale Center that would be football only. That is all already on the dream list, but Schiano wants to see a written financial commitment.
My prediction is that this will still happen. Nobody else moves the needle among the media, fans and donors like Schiano. There are too many forces who want this. It will just take a couple of days to sort out. Think of it as a new dating relationship. Schiano doesn't want to look easy by putting out too soon. It's a, "If you like it put a ring on it," situation. RU is just trying to figure out how to pay for it.
Wow...it takes hubris to ask for the moon. But I'm sure Schiano can and will fill the stadium seats with Rutgers fans instead of the opposing school's fans like what's happening at Maryland.

Otoh, you may find yourself in a UConn (Maryland) situation, where the Huskies (Terps) thought it could catch lightning in a bottle twice with Randy Edsall (Mike Locksley) at the helm. But Maryland was not very good with Locksley the first go around. Locksley was "re-hired" based on the false belief that he would keep the talent home.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - AntiG - 11-08-2019 01:02 AM

Schiano is simply asking for Rutgers to up their facilities to the same level as most of the P5 and some of the G5, and for his assistants to have decent pay. Its not all that much he is asking for... he basically wants Rutgers to stop being the half-ass committed cheapskates that they have been for decades and finally invest in a program that when competitive and winner, is very profitable and gets all of NJ and NYC buzzing. The reason that Rutgers stunk before Schiano and the reason they stunk after Schiano was the same reason - they are privileged enough to be sat in a great location that gets you into the Big East and then the Big Ten, but are unwilling to invest enough and commit to excellence.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - mikeinsec127 - 11-25-2019 11:25 AM

Everything imploded with Schiano. Now RU is onto a Plan D that didn't exist yesterday morning. The alumni, letter winners and what's left of a football fan base are in full revolt. It really seems like Pat Hobbs' ego is preventing him from hiring an alpha male football coach, that is needed but would be a challenge to control. I just don't think he has any idea what the average P5 football program needs to compete with its peers.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - megadrone - 11-25-2019 05:17 PM

Prediction: All our coaches will have the surname Campanile.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - GE and MTS - 11-25-2019 09:29 PM

(11-25-2019 11:25 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Everything imploded with Schiano. Now RU is onto a Plan D that didn't exist yesterday morning. The alumni, letter winners and what's left of a football fan base are in full revolt. It really seems like Pat Hobbs' ego is preventing him from hiring an alpha male football coach, that is needed but would be a challenge to control. I just don't think he has any idea what the average P5 football program needs to compete with its peers.

I don't understand the mindset of someone who doesn't want to be overshadowed by his/her hire. At least here, it isn't like Schiano being successful would negativity effect Hobbs and Schiano wouldn't replace Hobbs which I could mildly understand in a traditional job setting. Hobbs would look good if he hired someone successful! Mind-blowing. But such is Rutgers.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - NJ2MDTerp - 11-25-2019 11:50 PM

Wasn't Hobbs the Dean at Seton Hall Law School prior to his hire as Rutgers AD? For an academician/Dean, Hobbs appears to be out of position at Rutgers.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - AntiG - 11-26-2019 01:53 PM

what a fn shitshow

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - megadrone - 11-29-2019 09:33 AM

(11-25-2019 11:50 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  Wasn't Hobbs the Dean at Seton Hall Law School prior to his hire as Rutgers AD? For an academician/Dean, Hobbs appears to be out of position at Rutgers.

He had ties to Gov. Christie.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - GE and MTS - 11-29-2019 10:08 AM

Schiano may not be out of the picture at Rutgers.

Also, Rutgers is may (or is) looking at Ohio State defensive co-coordinator Jeff Hafley. An Ohio State defensive coordinator? If at first you don't succeed...

I know we give Rutgers crap but they were a bowl regular before joining the conference. It may be too much to expect them to be more than 7-5 regularly but I still believe they are a good coach away from getting back to respectability. Keeping him will be a problem and the administration supporting him may be a problem but there is enough potential (local recruiting, local population) that something could be built if the right coach is hired.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - Transic_nyc - 12-01-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:After negotiations appeared to have stalled last week, Rutgers is indeed going back to Greg Schiano to pull the Scarlet Knights football program out of the basement and turn it around. Again. Rutgers and Schiano have agreed in principle to a reunion, according to NJ.com and Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

The Scarlet Knights have brought back Schiano to lead the program two months after firing Chris Ash. Schiano previously coached Rutgers from 2001-11, compiling a 68-67 record. The Scarlet Knights are 2-10 and winless in the Big Ten play this season with their only wins over UMass and Liberty. The program endured its fifth straight losing season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/rutgers-greg-schiano-reach-agreement-for-former-scarlet-knights-coach-to-return-per-reports/

Well, looks like the coach search is finally over! Now on to the rebuild.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - RutgersMike - 12-01-2019 02:45 AM

THIS TIME IT’S REAL! Greg Schiano returns as Rutgers coach after miraculous reversal

For some reason, I can’t copy the link from nj.com but Greg is back!

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - AntiG - 12-01-2019 03:25 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Rutgers faithful!

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - GE and MTS - 12-01-2019 11:12 AM

Congratulations to Rutgers! Hopefully Schiano is smart and actually signs a contract unlike Taggart.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2019/11/25/willie-taggart-never-signed-a-final-contract-heres-why-it-could-matter/

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - mikeinsec127 - 12-01-2019 06:50 PM

Pat Hobbs and the BOG could still screw this up about fifteen different ways. I'm not celebrating anything until I see GS at the podium for his introductory presser. After that, I'' get out my Chop! t-shirt.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - AntiG - 01-03-2020 08:59 PM

Schiano's got some pull. Sean Gleeson leaves OK State to come home to NJ.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - GE and MTS - 01-03-2020 10:51 PM

(01-03-2020 08:59 PM)AntiG Wrote:  Schiano's got some pull. Sean Gleeson leaves OK State to come home to NJ.

Good hire but just missed out on Joe Moorhead. Not really the "fault" of Rutgers and it may not have been better anyway.

RE: Rutgers - What's the latest news on your head coach search? - AntiG - 01-05-2020 12:09 AM

I don't think Schiano wanted Moorhead; and if you mean hire him as HC, the fanbase would have killed the Rutgers leadership for taking him over Greg.