CSNbbs
5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee (/thread-886723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazerDave - 11-04-2019 02:56 PM

https://www.al.com/uab/2019/11/5-takeaways-from-uabs-loss-at-tennessee.html

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazrDawg - 11-04-2019 04:02 PM

(11-04-2019 02:56 PM)BlazerDave Wrote:  https://www.al.com/uab/2019/11/5-takeaways-from-uabs-loss-at-tennessee.html

Without even reading what the link said,,, if we didnt have 4 GIVEAWAYS against em, we may have been able to play em pretty close. Thats what was so disappointing to me sitting there on those cold stands in Kville.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - UABFRENCHY - 11-04-2019 04:05 PM

at that game ...we had a sec defense and swac offense

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazerGreen - 11-04-2019 08:25 PM

Not saying that Dudley's comments about TJ3 aren't accurate, but I think his coaches share some of the blame. Tyler may be a RS sophomore but I believe he's been on campus almost four years. That's a long time to have a guy under development.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - WesternBlazer - 11-04-2019 08:34 PM

(11-04-2019 08:25 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  Not saying that Dudley's comments about TJ3 aren't accurate, but I think his coaches share some of the blame. Tyler may be a RS sophomore but I believe he's been on campus almost four years. That's a long time to have a guy under development.

Aside from last year he spent a lot of the time rehabbing various(arm?) injuries...at least 1 from high school.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - jcduncan13 - 11-04-2019 09:23 PM

Yeah 4 turnovers is why we lost. Defense played well enough to win against Tennessee. I still can’t get Rocky Top and that ugly ass orange out of my head from the game. Downtown Knoxville was fun though 04-cheers

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - Steel Dragon - 11-05-2019 01:56 AM

(11-04-2019 09:23 PM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  Yeah 4 turnovers is why we lost. Defense played well enough to win against Tennessee. I still can’t get Rocky Top and that ugly ass orange out of my head from the game. Downtown Knoxville was fun though 04-cheers

Turnovers wes a huge part of the loss but not establishing the running game contributed just as much

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazinBham - 11-05-2019 02:41 AM

It was gonna go bad whether we had turnovers or not. Clark said we didn’t bother to prepare for them..... If your Oline depth and offensive playcalling is that bad that you can’t decide to go up there to beat this trash @ss Tennessee team, you need to make some serious coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball. Not having that depth on the line, goes back to who you are recruiting. Both USM and La Tech are better teams than UT. Their issues are coaching ineptitude when it matters the most.

We’ll see if Vincent and Owens can keep their jobs with some improvement on their side of the ball over the next 4 games. TJ3 going down may save their jobs(because it’s an excuse), if we’re being honest. Hope TJ3 and key linemen can get back this weekend and all of this gets righted.

The only thing holding Coach Clark and this program back at this moment, is the Meh hires he made at OC and OL. Prove me wrong against teams with winning records.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - UAB Schnauzer - 11-05-2019 08:02 AM

(11-05-2019 02:41 AM)BlazinBham Wrote:  It was gonna go bad whether we had turnovers or not. Clark said we didn’t bother to prepare for them..... If your Oline depth and offensive playcalling is that bad that you can’t decide to go up there to beat this trash @ss Tennessee team, you need to make some serious coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball. Not having that depth on the line, goes back to who you are recruiting. Both USM and La Tech are better teams than UT. Their issues are coaching ineptitude when it matters the most.

We’ll see if Vincent and Owens can keep their jobs with some improvement on their side of the ball over the next 4 games. TJ3 going down may save their jobs(because it’s an excuse), if we’re being honest. Hope TJ3 and key linemen can get back this weekend and all of this gets righted.

The only thing holding Coach Clark and this program back at this moment, is the Meh hires he made at OC and OL. Prove me wrong against teams with winning records.

Clark DID NOT say we didn’t bother to prepare for them. He said we didn’t spend time during the off week on Tennessee. He never said we didn’t prepare for them during the game week

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - THE_LEGEND - 11-05-2019 08:10 AM

In Clark, I trust.

He is a winner. I doubt he stayed at UAB to hire all his buddies for low market assistant wages and didn't care about not winning trophies.

He seems like a focused driven guy to me but I'm not an HR talent scout either.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazerGreen - 11-05-2019 09:05 AM

(11-04-2019 04:05 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  at that game ...we had a sec defense and swac offense

I said OVC in the game thread but that might be generous (kidding of course).

We lost a lot off last year's defense and we've had several injuries there too. Why are we so much better over there than on offense?

Gonna keep putting this up for illustrative purposes:

2017 16 TD 4 INT
2018 18 TD 16 INT
2019 16 TD 14 INT

That's why I don't put it all on Johnston. We have a problem at QB and it's not just personnel.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - blazerjay - 11-05-2019 11:16 AM

(11-05-2019 08:02 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(11-05-2019 02:41 AM)BlazinBham Wrote:  It was gonna go bad whether we had turnovers or not. Clark said we didn’t bother to prepare for them..... If your Oline depth and offensive playcalling is that bad that you can’t decide to go up there to beat this trash @ss Tennessee team, you need to make some serious coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball. Not having that depth on the line, goes back to who you are recruiting. Both USM and La Tech are better teams than UT. Their issues are coaching ineptitude when it matters the most.

Clark DID NOT say we didn’t bother to prepare for them. He said we didn’t spend time during the off week on Tennessee. He never said we didn’t prepare for them during the game week

Here's the actual quote:
Quote:Clark even admitted to focusing primarily on the final conference stretch rather than the Volunteers during the bye week.

“It’s like I said in the open date, I didn’t work on Tennessee,” Clark said during postgame interviews. “We were working on those other opponents. Maybe we could have stolen a little time on them (Tennessee), but these other ones are just too big.”

If you're going to have the attitude that such a game is not important enough to warrant full attention, then don't schedule a non-conference body bag game late in the season. I get that a game with conference championship ramifications is important. So, why even schedule an SEC opponent in November.

There is no upside playing them so late in the season if we're just going through the motions for a paycheck. That money is there in September (when a victory in such a game is still considered important to get to bowl eligibility). With that attitude, all a November non-conference guarantee game does is risk injuries at a critical time as with the A&M game last year (costing us home field in the championship game).

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - UAB Schnauzer - 11-05-2019 11:24 AM

(11-05-2019 11:16 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(11-05-2019 08:02 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

Here's the actual quote:
Quote:Clark even admitted to focusing primarily on the final conference stretch rather than the Volunteers during the bye week.

“It’s like I said in the open date, I didn’t work on Tennessee,” Clark said during postgame interviews. “We were working on those other opponents. Maybe we could have stolen a little time on them (Tennessee), but these other ones are just too big.”

If you're going to have the attitude that such a game is not important enough to warrant full attention, then don't schedule a non-conference body bag game late in the season. I get that a game with conference championship ramifications is important. So, why even schedule an SEC opponent in November.

There is no upside playing them so late in the season if we're just going through the motions for a paycheck. That money is there in September (when a victory in such a game is still considered important to get to bowl eligibility). With that attitude, all a November non-conference guarantee game does is risk injuries at a critical time as with the A&M game last year (costing us home field in the championship game).

“During the buy week” is the key part

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - Big Dee - 11-05-2019 11:37 AM

Still we weren’t prepared no matter any excuse, next time just let us know we’re going in half assed and I’ll spend my time watching something else. Looked terrible and unprepared on a national network. But hey let’s keep beating sub 100- 70 teams

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - B'ham Blazer - 11-05-2019 11:41 AM

#5 in total defense this week, and #85 in total offense. This is while playing the #125 SOS. The offense is pretty much trash (not the players, but the scheme/development in general) I'm pretty sure the defense would rank fairly well, even against a tougher schedule.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - THE_LEGEND - 11-05-2019 01:38 PM

This is all about a process.

>Further build recruiting and relationships with in-state/regional High schools. Keep poaching players might otherwise leave the state for a P5 school.

>Keep a pipeline of talent flowing into the program

>Build a new stadium (WIP)

>Grow the fanbase (WIP)

> Win trophies (we are ahead of schedule already)

> Get even better talent

> Play a full 12 game schedule expecting to win them all and prep/plan accordingly
get to a better Conference with more money

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - BlazerGreen - 11-05-2019 03:13 PM

(11-05-2019 01:38 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  This is all about a process.

>Further build recruiting and relationships with in-state/regional High schools. Keep poaching players might otherwise leave the state for a P5 school.

>Keep a pipeline of talent flowing into the program

>Build a new stadium (WIP)

>Grow the fanbase (WIP)

> Win trophies (we are ahead of schedule already)

> Get even better talent

> Play a full 12 game schedule expecting to win them all and prep/plan accordingly
get to a better Conference with more money

Don't take it seriously, at least my gripes. I'm a worrier but I'm loving UAB football. It's just how I follow the team.

They say the market climbs a wall of worry. I hope the Blazers climb the BlazerTalk wall of worry all the way to another conference title.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - HiddenDragon - 11-05-2019 04:06 PM

So Clark didn't spend two weeks preparing for Tennessee but instead spent game week focusing on the Vols. I don't see an issue with this.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - jcduncan13 - 11-05-2019 05:41 PM

(11-05-2019 04:06 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  So Clark didn't spend two weeks preparing for Tennessee but instead spent game week focusing on the Vols. I don't see an issue with this.

I don’t think there’s an issue either. He spent some extra time on our conference opponents which is more important.

RE: 5 takeaways from UAB’s loss at Tennessee - PaUABlazer - 11-06-2019 02:52 AM

(11-05-2019 05:41 PM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  
(11-05-2019 04:06 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  So Clark didn't spend two weeks preparing for Tennessee but instead spent game week focusing on the Vols. I don't see an issue with this.

I don’t think there’s an issue either. He spent some extra time on our conference opponents which is more important.

I don’t Understand how people think his comments are a non Issue. I have never heard a coach say what he did. But I have heard a lot of successful coaches say the next game is the most important, we don’t need to look past our next opponent etc. Well he looked past his next opponent. Hypothetically Couldn’t Southern Miss sustain an few Injuries to some starters and make all the preparation Clark did for them obsolete? Then the bigger question is why even make the comment? it’s a terrible excuse. My goal for UAB football someday is to win every single game and get that New Years Day at large bid. If Bill Clark wants to put more of an emphasis on conference games then he really has taken us as far as he can or wants too. UAB has already won a CUSA championship. The next logical step for US is to continue to do that but also upset some P5 schools and eventually move up to the American conference. That’s my hopes for UAB if Bill Clark does that great. But from what it sounds like from his quote that’s not his goal.He gets paid over a million a year doesn’t he have an obligation to try his best to win every Game? Well, he just admitted he didn’t do that and that doesn’t upset you at all as a UAB fan? It was seriously embarrassing. And if you asked those players during the bye week what game was the most important to them? The would have said the next game Tennessee.