CSNbbs
Tom Jurich - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Tom Jurich (/thread-886485.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tom Jurich - jarr - 11-02-2019 09:03 AM

I may be missing something, but why does he have such a bad rep, other than just being guilty by association? Is there any evidence of wrongdoing on his part at UL. By all accounts, the guy was the best AD in the country during his time at UL.

RE: Tom Jurich - Def Berkkat - 11-02-2019 09:20 AM

(11-02-2019 09:03 AM)jarr Wrote:  I may be missing something, but why does he have such a bad rep, other than just being guilty by association? Is there any evidence of wrongdoing on his part at UL. By all accounts, the guy was the best AD in the country during his time at UL.

Come on. Let's not be naïve here.

That dude was neck deep in all of Loooavul's shenanigans.

RE: Tom Jurich - cincybb51 - 11-02-2019 09:30 AM

(11-02-2019 09:03 AM)jarr Wrote:  I may be missing something, but why does he have such a bad rep, other than just being guilty by association? Is there any evidence of wrongdoing on his part at UL. By all accounts, the guy was the best AD in the country during his time at UL.
Don't know how culpable he was to all their problems but don't think we should head in that direction. In my opinion definitely should get Fickell involved in the process; someone he would be comfortable working with maybe from a prior relationship. Also instead of a retread look at some up and coming assistant AD like Graham Neff at Clemson or someone else with a strong background at a football elite. Not sure I like the idea I have seen mentioned of bringing back Desiree Reed-Francois from UNLV.

RE: Tom Jurich - TubaCat - 11-02-2019 10:12 AM

Jurich has never been charged with a crime, never been charged with NCAA violations... he is only guilty of refusing to fire one of the best basketball coaches in history, who has also not been charged with any crime or NCAA violation for the UL scandals. If I were AD, you bet I would wait for due process before firing one of the best men to ever be in the profession.

Can we reasonably assume Pitino is guilty? Of course. Did Jurich know that some NCAA violations were going on in the UL recruiting process? Possibly. But if the government and the NCAA both say they are innocent men, then that's good enough for me to hire Jurich and punch our ticket to the P5.

RE: Tom Jurich - rath v2.0 - 11-02-2019 10:19 AM

He was fired without cause. UL was lucky to settle for only $4.5 million after how badly they handled his virtue signaling firing.

Not saying he’s an angel or that there are not things out there, but the reasons they listed for the firing were stupid and cost them.

RE: Tom Jurich - bearcatmark - 11-02-2019 10:26 AM

I'm in on going after jurich. I hope they look into him and decide for themselves if there are concerns. He shouldn't be the only candidate but he has tremendous upside as a candidate.

RE: Tom Jurich - rath v2.0 - 11-02-2019 10:33 AM

(11-02-2019 09:30 AM)cincybb51 Wrote:  
Don't know how culpable he was to all their problems but don't think we should head in that direction. In my opinion definitely should get Fickell involved in the process; someone he would be comfortable working with maybe from a prior relationship. Also instead of a retread look at some up and coming assistant AD like Graham Neff at Clemson or someone else with a strong background at a football elite. Not sure I like the idea I have seen mentioned of bringing back Desiree Reed-Francois from UNLV.

Having a coach help pick an AD because it’s someone he’s comfortable with is possibly not a great idea especially when said coach could be gone before the new butt in chair had time to warm it up.

We tried the Assistant AD from a P5 thing with NitWhit Babcock. I’d prefer a current AD.

RE: Tom Jurich - CardinalJim - 11-02-2019 11:12 AM

Tom Jurich would be a great hire. I honestly believe he would love the opportunity.

Here’s an ESPN article on his settlement with Louisville.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23538395/university-louisville-reaches-45m-settlement-ex-ad-tom-jurich-firing

Tom always maintained that he did nothing wrong. UofL investigators tried everything to find something to keep from paying him; they found nothing. Only guilty of supporting his coach

I had the pleasure of knowing Tom, Terrilynn and the girls through church. They are a great family. Tom will talk sports with anyone.

Honestly I believe he would listen to Cincinnati because of the Louisville rivalry. Tom always understood what rivalries meant to the fans. I know him well enough to know he would love to take Cincinnati to the next level if he thought it might pizz Louisville and Kentucky fans off.

Personally I hope y’all hire him.

RE: Tom Jurich - CardinalJim - 11-02-2019 11:19 AM

(11-02-2019 10:19 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  He was fired without cause. UL was lucky to settle for only $4.5 million after how badly they handled his virtue signaling firing.

Not saying he’s an angel or that there are not things out there, but the reasons they listed for the firing were stupid and cost them.

This is exactly right. Tom is iron fisted with the media. If a reporter writes a bad story, Tom would keep them out of the next press conference. Local media here was scared of being shutout by UofL.

Tom would make sure the Cincinnati media understood that UC was THE story.

RE: Tom Jurich - mptnstr@44 - 11-02-2019 11:22 AM

UC took a chance on Goins who had been let go from FSU for ethics violations(?) and it worked out very well.
If Jurich wasn't involved in any of the illegal and unsavory shenannigans at UofL ad it doesn't appear that he was, UC would be stupid to not talk to him. The Yum Center and PapaJohns Stadium and their move to the P5 were all guided by Jurich.

RE: Tom Jurich - mptnstr@44 - 11-02-2019 11:23 AM

(11-02-2019 11:12 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Tom Jurich would be a great hire. I honestly believe he would the opportunity.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23538395/university-louisville-reaches-45m-settlement-ex-ad-tom-jurich-firing

Tom always maintained that he did nothing wrong. UofL investigators tried everything to find something to keep from paying him; they found nothing. Only guilty of supporting his coach

I had the pleasure of knowing Tom, Terrilynn and the girls through church. They are a great family. Tom will talk sports with anyone.

Honestly I believe he would listen to Cincinnati because of the Louisville rivalry. Tom always understood what rivalries meant to the fans. I know him well enough to know he would love to take Cincinnati to the next level if he thought it might pizz Louisville and Kentucky fans off.

Thanks for the info Cardinal Jim.

RE: Tom Jurich - CardinalJim - 11-02-2019 11:32 AM

(11-02-2019 11:23 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 11:12 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Tom Jurich would be a great hire. I honestly believe he would the opportunity.

Thanks for the info Cardinal Jim.

No problem
I would just like to see my friend get a fair shake.
Tom is the ONLY reason Louisville is a member of The ACC. He out worked UConn and got the invite for UofL.
If y’all want to join The ACC or Big 12 Toms the guy to get you there.
He’s well connected.

RE: Tom Jurich - Romell Shorter - 11-02-2019 11:32 AM

Jurich - maybe. He knows how to get us where we want to go.

Francois - no. Please God, no.

RE: Tom Jurich - robertfoshizzle - 11-02-2019 11:48 AM

Would love to have Jurich. I hope we at least give him a call.

RE: Tom Jurich - kyucat - 11-02-2019 12:17 PM

Not sure UC could pay his ego. The dude was making big money. UC was paying Bone nothing in comparison.

RE: Tom Jurich - C1ncy4Life - 11-02-2019 12:51 PM

(11-02-2019 12:17 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Not sure UC could pay his ego. The dude was making big money. UC was paying Bone nothing in comparison.

Since he has some baggage he will likely have to take a lower paying job and rebuild his reputation so to speak, before man elite P5 team will offer him the AD position.

RE: Tom Jurich - Nobones - 11-02-2019 12:58 PM

(11-02-2019 12:51 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 12:17 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Not sure UC could pay his ego. The dude was making big money. UC was paying Bone nothing in comparison.

Since he has some baggage he will likely have to take a lower paying job and rebuild his reputation so to speak, before man elite P5 team will offer him the AD position.

Plus right now he is living off the $4.5 mil from Louisville. So he can afford what we would pay.

RE: Tom Jurich - TubaCat - 11-02-2019 01:02 PM

Jurich was the 2nd highest paid AD in the country at UL, averaging $2.75M per year. It would be unreasonable to expect that kind of salary right away at a new school, after what happened. If we paid him even $1M per year, that would be a top 25 salary, which IMO would be reasonable to start out with. Bohn was making $600k, by comparison.

RE: Tom Jurich - CardinalJim - 11-02-2019 01:20 PM

Tom will mobilize your donors. When he started here in Louisville he got Owsley Brown Frazier of Brown Forman (Jack Daniels, Woodford Reserve, Early Times) involved with funding UofL facilities and it took off from there.

If you hired Tom, I have no doubt he would grow your donor base to more than make up his salary a few times over. At least that’s what he did here.

RE: Tom Jurich - KCat - 11-02-2019 02:03 PM

At first, I didn't like the idea; then, after looking deeper, I kinda like Tom Jurich .... When we hired Bob Goin there
was a cloud over his leaving FSU and Mike Bohn was fired from Colorado... In Jurich's court case against
UL, he was cleared of any wrong doing, his dismissal was changed to "retired" and was awarded $4.5 mil.
He would be perfect for our current situation.. He knows his way about the ACC and B12.. Like I said,,, I
kinda like him...