CSNbbs
The Pay For Play issue - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: The Pay For Play issue (/thread-886414.html)

The Pay For Play issue - MICHAELSPAPPY - 11-01-2019 10:33 AM

This from Gary Parrish at CBS:

Among other things, the NCAA plans to "prohibit inducements [for student-athletes] to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution," which is unsurprising but still problematic -- if only because, and I ask this honestly, exactly how does the NCAA think it's going to allow student-athletes to "benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness" while also holding tight to guidelines that "prohibit inducements [for student-athletes] to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution?"

See what a can of worms this issue raises? How do you have Pay For Play and not put athletes up to the highest bidder? Granted we are not far from that now, but at least the NCAA is trying. Once athletes are at a school, if another school waves a bigger Pay For Play figure at them, they will move on to another school IF they are allowed to. And we end up with legalized sports prostitution.

I'm glad they have smarter people than I am trying to figure it out.

RE: The Pay For Play issue - mjs - 11-01-2019 12:09 PM

(11-01-2019 10:33 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  This from Gary Parrish at CBS:

Among other things, the NCAA plans to "prohibit inducements [for student-athletes] to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution," which is unsurprising but still problematic -- if only because, and I ask this honestly, exactly how does the NCAA think it's going to allow student-athletes to "benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness" while also holding tight to guidelines that "prohibit inducements [for student-athletes] to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution?"

See what a can of worms this issue raises? How do you have Pay For Play and not put athletes up to the highest bidder? Granted we are not far from that now, but at least the NCAA is trying. Once athletes are at a school, if another school waves a bigger Pay For Play figure at them, they will move on to another school IF they are allowed to. And we end up with legalized sports prostitution.

I'm glad they have smarter people than I am trying to figure it out.

I don't see how college athletics, as we know it, survives this. I haven't read the details, but is there anyone stopping a booster, at let's say Alabama from saying, "I will give the starting quarterback 1 million dollars every year for being the face of my company (i.e. car dealership; chain of restaurants, etc.)". And of course, then an Auburn booster will up it to 1.25 million.

RE: The Pay For Play issue - MICHAELSPAPPY - 11-01-2019 03:28 PM

And I have yet to be convinced that students are employees and should be compensated as employees. If they want to be pros let them go pro.