CSNbbs
WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU (/thread-886384.html)

Pages: 1 2

WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Aviewfromthestands2 - 10-31-2019 08:31 PM

It's Friday Night and the ODU Women's Basketball Season kicks into full gear. Exhibition game against Christopher Newport University. Now back in the late 60's and mid 70's, ODU used to play CNU on a regular basis. ODU is 10-0 all time against CNU. In the first year of ODU women's basketball, 1969-70 the Captains were the second team that ODU ever played. Who could ever forget that exciting 29-17 victory. :-) (Seriously--that was the final score. Hard to believe that is a basketball score)

CNU is a pretty good team to play. Last season they were 25-6 and finished in the sweet 16 in the D-3 NCAA tournament. They are expected to repeat as conference champs this season. But make no mistake about it ODU should win this game. Everybody who played in the first round game against Villanova last year is back.

The team has had an off season to strengthen and continue to grow as a unit. I'm curious to see how all the pieces fit together. Yes Senior Taylor Edwards was vital last season playing PG. But even Nikki admits that she isn't a true PG. This season we will have two true PGs in freshman MacKenzie Smith and redshirted freshman Amaya Register. Taylor is athletic enough that she play multiple positions. Amari Young was one of our best players down the stretch. I'm excited to see what she looks like with a full offseason under her belt.

This team has a lot of potential and it's exciting. I have no clue what is in store for this season, but I think it's going to be a fun ride.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Full_Court_Press - 11-01-2019 08:11 AM

Last season was just the beginner of the true rebuild. With the success of the Washington Mystics, I wonder if we'll see any 5 out sets to go with our Dribble Drive Offensive Attack.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - eastcoastDave - 11-01-2019 10:43 AM

I’m excited to see how the pieces fit this year. I’m also curious to see how many times Coach Nikki will sit down during a game. The over/under in Vegas is 3.

Should be a different year with a true point guard or two. Would there be more opportunities for an aggressive full-court press? With the new players adding depth inside and at point guard, I like that possibility.

My anticipation is that ODU finishes nearer the top of the league, rather than the 5th place the media picked for them. There are some interesting games on the schedule, here and away. Let’s go. I’m ready for this year to begin. Let’s get the party started.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Mr.BigBlue - 11-01-2019 02:53 PM

We are going to be missing a player or 2. Time for others to step up. I still think post play is going to a challenge for us this year. I think we are a year away.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Ashgiodufan - 11-01-2019 08:31 PM

Does anyone know why Maggie, Dejah and MacKenzie didn’t play or why they didn’t dress for it

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 11-01-2019 09:53 PM

(11-01-2019 08:31 PM)Ashgiodufan Wrote:  Does anyone know why Maggie, Dejah and MacKenzie didn’t play or why they didn’t dress for it
Maggie out for the season I'm hearing. Idk about the rest.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - ODU DAD - 11-01-2019 10:06 PM

(11-01-2019 08:31 PM)Ashgiodufan Wrote:  Does anyone know why Maggie, Dejah and MacKenzie didn’t play or why they didn’t dress for it
Don’t like to put out personal info on players but as has been said, Maggie is out for the season (you can probably guess why), Dejah will be back for the season opener, and Kenzie’s issue has been described as not season ending.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Ashgiodufan - 11-02-2019 02:30 AM

(11-01-2019 10:06 PM)ODU DAD Wrote:  
Don’t like to put out personal info on players but as has been said, Maggie is out for the season (you can probably guess why), Dejah will be back for the season opener, and Kenzie’s issue has been described as not season ending.

Interesting because none of them appeared to be limping and hope it’s hearsay

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Mr.BigBlue - 11-02-2019 07:58 AM

(11-01-2019 10:06 PM)ODU DAD Wrote:  

Exactly....like I said earlier we will be missing 2 players. Dejah had her wisdom teeth removed and she has been dealing with a hip / sciatica issue as wel. She should be back soon. Don't expect the others back.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Aviewfromthestands2 - 11-02-2019 09:52 AM

There were four players who didn't dress up. One of them was Vanessa Blagmon. She was a midseason transfer from USF, so she won't be eligible to play until winter. Glad to hear that Carter will be back for the opener. We will need her against the taller, athletic teams. Overall a nice night for the team. Out of the 9 players who dressed up, six of them finished with double digit points. (could have been seven if Bailey didn't hold up ball at the end of the game...she had enough time to drive to the basket) Edwards and Adams with six assists each. I love that stat. The days of depending on one player to do all the scoring are gone. This is a team with a lot of weapons.

It wasn't perfect though. They do have some things to work on. We broke down a little in the 3rd quarter on defense. And let's not talk about that FT percentage (21-for-33). Marie Reichert had 10 points, 6 boards. But she was going for rebounds down low and lead the team in blocks with 3. We have lots of players who can shot form the outside, so it's a good sign to find a true freshman who can play down low.

I know that Amaya didn't have any assists in this game, but you could tell she has instincts of a point guard. After coming back form a torn ACL, I think it will take some time before she fully comfortable playing with the brace.

Overall I thought coach Nikki was really cool in this game. I didn't catch how many times she sat down, but I do remember seeing her sit and....laughing? That might have been my imagination though... ;-)

Honestly I can't wait for the real season to start. The return game at home against Campbell. That will start showing us what this team is made of.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - VB Monarch - 11-02-2019 10:00 AM

Mackenzie is a freshman so the loss is undetermined, but Maggiw is/was a major piece of the team. Her loss will be considerable. Senior year too, that's a shame.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - VB Monarch - 11-02-2019 10:01 AM

Looking at the player metrics, they don't seem very tall. Achilles heel?

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Ashgiodufan - 11-02-2019 10:54 AM

Are we sure they maggie is out for season if it wasn’t mentioned

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 11-02-2019 11:03 AM

(11-02-2019 10:54 AM)Ashgiodufan Wrote:  Are we sure they maggie is out for season if it wasn’t mentioned
Someone posted on Facebook its an ACL but idk if that's facts or not.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Mr.BigBlue - 11-02-2019 11:13 AM

I will not say any more on this subject but DO NOT expect to see Maggie or Mackenzie this year. I can't be anymore clearer than that. I hope Maggie can apply and get a medical redshirt year. Not sure if it feasible.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Ashgiodufan - 11-02-2019 11:17 AM

(11-02-2019 11:13 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I will not say any more on this subject but DO NOT expect to see Maggie or Mackenzie this year. I can't be anymore clearer than that. I hope Maggie can apply and get a medical redshirt year. Not sure if it feasible.

When I meant mentioned I meant mentioned on odu website

I just pray it’s hearsay but I’m sure you know so sad they are out for season

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Mr.BigBlue - 11-02-2019 12:00 PM

(11-02-2019 11:17 AM)Ashgiodufan Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 11:13 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I will not say any more on this subject but DO NOT expect to see Maggie or Mackenzie this year. I can't be anymore clearer than that. I hope Maggie can apply and get a medical redshirt year. Not sure if it feasible.

When I meant mentioned I meant mentioned on odu website

I just pray it’s hearsay but I’m sure you know so sad they are out for season

Miracles do happen. Just do not expect them back.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Justanodufan - 11-02-2019 01:55 PM

She doesn’t need to apply for a medical. She has only played 3 seasons in 3 years, which means she can sit this year out with the knowledge of knowing she can get healthy and compete next year. (Or did she redshirt during her time at her juco)

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Mr.BigBlue - 11-02-2019 02:51 PM

(11-02-2019 01:55 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

She doesn’t need to apply for a medical. She has only played 3 seasons in 3 years, which means she can sit this year out with the knowledge of knowing she can get healthy and compete next year. (Or did she redshirt during her time at her juco)

Those are the details I am not knowledgable of and I would hope they would go medical route vs a standard redshirt. You have 5 years to play 4.

RE: WBB Exhibition Game: vs the Captains of CNU - Justanodufan - 11-02-2019 04:50 PM

(11-02-2019 02:51 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 01:55 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Those are the details I am not knowledgable of and I would hope they would go medical route vs a standard redshirt. You have 5 years to play 4.

IF she doesn’t need a medical redshirt there is no reason to pursue the extra paperwork. And I am well aware she has 5 to play 4. This is year 4 and she has only played 3, so she doesn’t need a medical to be able to play next year