CSNbbs
UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member (/thread-885646.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Attackcoog - 10-25-2019 08:15 PM

(10-25-2019 08:04 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 10:36 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 11:15 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 07:44 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 04:33 PM)panama Wrote:  *slow clap*

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, 7 AAC schools are averaging 30,000+ attendance this year. That's in keeping with 2018 when 6 AAC schools averaged over 30k attendance and a seventh was at 29,888.
So I guess you're slow clapping Hidden Dragon being *almost* right?

2018 AAC average attendance was 28,902. As a 12th member UAB would be 9th. Georgia State would be dead last. Other "candidates" like App State or ODU would be 10th/11th.

If the strategic objective for the AAC is to look MORE like a P6 and LESS like a G4, then I say attendance is a legitimate metric, and UAB, Ga St, App St etc all come up short.
Sit down. There aren't any 50k attendance schools in the AAC or G5 period. So we all come up short of power status.

Still, a team that’s 6-1 and can’t crack 20K seriously undermines the “HUGE potential” argument. It’s a big red warning flag that this years game over game attendance is in decline as the win total increases. That’s just flat odd.
Now convince your president to let you vote.

Exactly. So many all bothered by what I think. I dont vote...and neither do you. The presidents will do the voting. That would be the same presidents that added 9 schools to the AAC (including Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU) and skipped right over Georgia State and UAB.

There are probably 30 schools right now telling the presidents how much potential they have. And what has been the path selected by the presidents? Try to fight for a rule change that will allow them to avoid adding any of their current options. Sounds like they (much like me), have not been impressed at all by the "we have potential" arguments. Apparently, my view is similar to the presidents. Get over it.

I know exactly how it feels because in 2016 the Big12 presidents basically said the same thing about my favorite school. It's just business. Just keep showing up to games, enjoying your seasons, and donating to your school. In the end, that has more of an effect on real world realignment than any post anyone here will ever make.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - panama - 10-25-2019 08:18 PM

(10-25-2019 07:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 06:55 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  i don’t want to hear questions about what Value does UAB bring when the AAC was willing to take Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, and SMU. SMU is the only one that’s truly flourished in these moves.

Exactly. No conference is looking for additions who look a lot like the worst existing members. Virtually any school can play the "potential" card---but very few ever realize that potential. Its also worth noting that those members you mention were added in haste at a time when a conference had to have 12 members to hold a CCG. These days---there is nothing magical about having 12 members in the conference.

My preference is to stay at 11 and be patient. Over time, one of three things will happen. Either one of the preferred choices will become interested (BYU, Army, AF)----or one of the schools with "potential" will emerge from the scrum as the obvious pick----or the conference will lose a member and get down to a more manageable "schedule friendly" membership of 10. Just be patient and the league can easily avoid making a hasty decision that results in the disaster of a long term unforced error.
Sir

You have Rutgers in line 1 and Pitt holdinb on line 2...

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - ShrackUAB - 10-25-2019 08:22 PM

Are we seriously getting trashed for our attendance even though we're averaging over 27,000?

Houston has hosted an FCS and three top 25 teams (at the time), one being a power 5 school though at a neutral site in Houston. Your FBS home opponents are a combined 18-4.

UAB has hosted an FCS and 3 FBS teams that are a combined 2-19. None of our home opponents have a single FBS win and it is almost November. Not to mention, one of our home games was played during a lightning storm and delayed 3 hours. Last weekend's was played directly after a tropical storm hit the state.

Bit of a difference in the schedules there

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Nerdlinger - 10-25-2019 08:26 PM

(10-25-2019 08:10 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 11:48 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  
(10-22-2019 09:49 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  One thing to consider when considering UAB ... (and I respect that university):

Does the AAC want an athletic program whose football program would play third fiddle (and maybe fourth) in its state to Bama, Auburn and (maybe) Troy?

Does the AAC want an athletic program whose basketball program would play third fiddle in its state to Bama and Auburn?

UAB does have excellent men's/women's soccer, is spending money on its sports facilities and coaches, has a quality hoops tradition/fan base, has a strong medical school and is located in the heart of a good-sized city. It would be a very solid choice. But I just have to wonder if there are not better choices.

Now it will be easy to argue (to counter this argument) that existing AAC programs take a back seat to various programs in their respective states. True, but it would be nice to "expand the American brand" into an area that is not so saturated with other league affiliations. And this is one reason Buffalo is intriguing. Likewise for Colorado State and VCU. Obviously, those three have flaws. All candidates do, just like every AAC school has negatives. We're not talking about massive state universities with huge fan bases, robust athletic department budgets, etc. We have to be realistic.

Third in Alabama is much better than 1st in most states. People are seriously just being haters. UAB is a great fit for the AAC.

I would make it between them and Georgia State.
East West
Tulane. UCF
SMU. USF
Navy. Temple
Houston. ECU
Tulsa. Cincinnati
Memphis. ODU
UAB. GSU

...ducks

The eastern teams are in the West and the western teams are in the East! Everything's topsy-turvy! 03-wink

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - panama - 10-25-2019 08:33 PM

(10-25-2019 08:26 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 08:10 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-22-2019 09:49 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  One thing to consider when considering UAB ... (and I respect that university):

Does the AAC want an athletic program whose football program would play third fiddle (and maybe fourth) in its state to Bama, Auburn and (maybe) Troy?

Does the AAC want an athletic program whose basketball program would play third fiddle in its state to Bama and Auburn?

UAB does have excellent men's/women's soccer, is spending money on its sports facilities and coaches, has a quality hoops tradition/fan base, has a strong medical school and is located in the heart of a good-sized city. It would be a very solid choice. But I just have to wonder if there are not better choices.

Now it will be easy to argue (to counter this argument) that existing AAC programs take a back seat to various programs in their respective states. True, but it would be nice to "expand the American brand" into an area that is not so saturated with other league affiliations. And this is one reason Buffalo is intriguing. Likewise for Colorado State and VCU. Obviously, those three have flaws. All candidates do, just like every AAC school has negatives. We're not talking about massive state universities with huge fan bases, robust athletic department budgets, etc. We have to be realistic.

Third in Alabama is much better than 1st in most states. People are seriously just being haters. UAB is a great fit for the AAC.

East West
Tulane. UCF
SMU. USF
Navy. Temple
Houston. ECU
Tulsa. Cincinnati
Memphis. ODU
UAB. GSU

...ducks

The eastern teams are in the West and the western teams are in the East! Everything's topsy-turvy! 03-wink
Lol

West. East

Tulane. UCF

SMU. USF

Navy. Temple

Houston. ECU

Tulsa. Cincinnati

Memphis. ODU

UAB. GSU

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - quo vadis - 10-25-2019 10:02 PM

(10-25-2019 06:55 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  i don’t want to hear questions about what Value does UAB bring when the AAC was willing to take Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, and SMU. SMU is the only one that’s truly flourished in these moves. Tulane turning the corner? I think so. Just swap ECU and Tulsa for UAB and USM. Just stirring the pot.

Since you are the one wanting admission, you are not in a position to decide what you don't want to hear, lol.

I have fond memories of USF competing against UAB 30-35 years ago in the original hoops Sun Belt, but righr now you would just be a mouth to feed in the AAC.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - bill dazzle - 10-25-2019 10:18 PM

Your quote: "Third in Alabama is much better than 1st in most states."

Good point. I agree.

I have been a long-time fan/follower/supporter of Memphis and Cincinnati. I admit that both schools/athletic programs have their flaws and, in many respects, are no better (or worse) than UAB. I have noted UAB's many positives. If the American invites UAB ... I'll get on board.

But just like the Big 12 would not prefer Memphis or Cincy ... I would not prefer UAB. Nothing personal. I love the city. Love Five Points. Love Good People beer. Love the Sloss Factory and Rickwood. Just not my first choice for an addition to the AAC.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - HiddenDragon - 10-26-2019 08:35 AM

(10-25-2019 10:18 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Good point. I agree.

I have been a long-time fan/follower/supporter of Memphis and Cincinnati. I admit that both schools/athletic programs have their flaws and, in many respects, are no better (or worse) than UAB. I have noted UAB's many positives. If the American invites UAB ... I'll get on board.

But just like the Big 12 would not prefer Memphis or Cincy ... I would not prefer UAB. Nothing personal. I love the city. Love Five Points. Love Good People beer. Love the Sloss Factory and Rickwood. Just not my first choice for an addition to the AAC.

And Bill, I can respect your opinion about this. There are clearly better choices than UAB for the AAC to go after. But to nitpick UAB's attendance when there are AAC programs struggling worse than us just seems to me to be the pot calling the kettle black. And honestly, UAB attendance has gotten better over the last 5 years, not worse.

FYI, it's Sloss Furnace...lol. And you need to get back to Birmingham soon. There is so much more stuff going on here than 5 years ago.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - bullet - 10-26-2019 08:56 AM

(10-25-2019 04:12 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 04:05 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  I know I'm a homer, but UAB has a lot going for it and the football program should really blossom once we move to the new stadium in 2021. Legion Field is an old stadium with no amenities in a bad part of town. We'll get an attendance bump just from people that don't feel comfortable going to Legion Field. Combine that with the other facility investments, a strong basketball tradition, location in the most college football crazed place in the country, decent market size, strong academics/research profile (Top Young University in America two straight years, top 25 in NIH research funding - $527M in research last year, just completed a $1 billion capital campaign) and history with multiple AAC members UAB seems like a great fit.

I agree that UAB is on the rise and has a lot of momentum, athletically and academically.

But the only kind of "fit" that matters, or least the gatekeeper factor, is brand value, as that is what TV pays for. And unfortunately, UAB has negligible brand value, hence it would for the time being be a poor add for the AAC.

Maybe in the future if the momentum leads to a building of brand value and prominence, things will be different.

well said.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - TrojanCampaign - 10-26-2019 08:57 AM

Good point. I agree.

Great comment.

Absolutely nothing wrong with preference. BYU, Air Force, and Boise State are certainly better options.

But as an East Coast good fit UAB would grow into a great addition.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - bullet - 10-26-2019 09:01 AM

(10-25-2019 07:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 06:55 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  i don’t want to hear questions about what Value does UAB bring when the AAC was willing to take Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, and SMU. SMU is the only one that’s truly flourished in these moves.

Exactly. No conference is looking for additions who look a lot like the worst existing members. Virtually any school can play the "potential" card---but very few ever realize that potential. Its also worth noting that those members you mention were added in haste at a time when a conference had to have 12 members to hold a CCG. These days---there is nothing magical about having 12 members in the conference.

My preference is to stay at 11 and be patient. Over time, one of three things will happen. Either one of the preferred choices will become interested (BYU, Army, AF)----or one of the schools with "potential" will emerge from the scrum as the obvious pick----or the conference will lose a member and get down to a more manageable "schedule friendly" membership of 10. Just be patient and the league can easily avoid making a hasty decision that results in the disaster of a long term unforced error.

Tulsa has a lot of basketball history. ECU has among the strongest fan support in the conference. SMU and Tulane are in major cities, Dallas and New Orleans, bringing exposure and possible advertisers. The bottom of the conference all brings something. SMU also has the largest budget now that UConn is leaving. And as said, you don't want to just match the bottom.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Kit-Cat - 10-26-2019 10:26 AM

(10-25-2019 10:02 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-25-2019 06:55 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  i don’t want to hear questions about what Value does UAB bring when the AAC was willing to take Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, and SMU. SMU is the only one that’s truly flourished in these moves. Tulane turning the corner? I think so. Just swap ECU and Tulsa for UAB and USM. Just stirring the pot.

Since you are the one wanting admission, you are not in a position to decide what you don't want to hear, lol.

I have fond Belt, but righr now you would just be a mouth to feed in the AAC.

The UAB situation to me has parallels to the Temple situation.

Remember how Temple was about to drop their program and a lease in Philadelphia was in question? They got an invite to the MAC and most MAC fans were upset at the time with the addition of a terrible FB program. Temple of course stabilized their program in the MAC and with their own recruiting territory in PA-NJ had an advantage.

UAB brought the FB program back, put 45,000 in the stands and won a CUSA FB championship. New level of investment including a new FB stadium that will be ready for 2022 the year the AAC has to fill it. Perfect timing for getting back into a conference with Memphis and USF.

Momentum is so important in conference realignment. That is how Temple was able to get back into the Big East in 2012.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - bill dazzle - 10-26-2019 10:27 AM

(10-26-2019 08:35 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Good point. I agree.

And Bill, I can respect your opinion about this. There are clearly better choices than UAB for the AAC to go after. But to nitpick UAB's attendance when there are AAC programs struggling worse than us just seems to me to be the pot calling the kettle black. And honestly, UAB attendance has gotten better over the last 5 years, not worse.

FYI, it's Sloss Furnace...lol. And you need to get back to Birmingham soon. There is so much more stuff going on here than 5 years ago.

May the record show, HDragon, that I have not opposed UAB for attendance reasons. With your new stadium — and if a member of the American — attendance would be more than fine. Bill Clark has done a stellar job. I wanted him to get national coach of the year last year.

Good catch on Sloss. I've been twice. Strong.

I've yet to visit the Peanut Depot (on my "to-do" list for Ham visits). The UAB campus — with its building density and height, and its pedestrian vibe ... big time. Pepper Place is great, as is Cahaba and Avondale beer.

Side note: My father did some "casual recruiting" for Gene Bartow back in the day (when Clean Gene was at Memphis State).

UAB — the university and its athletics — has my full respect.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - DavidSt - 10-26-2019 12:08 PM

I think the issues with C-USA, SBC and AAC for getting fans into the stadiums to fill seats are that they are spread out too far apart. Aside from UTSA hosting Army, the large crowds were with schools like Arizona, Oklahoma State or instate schools. Fans flock to San Antonio. Hosting FAU or FIU? Nothing. Fans are too far apart. Tulsa, UConn. and Tulane struggle to get fans to come. Tulsa may need some more instate schools to be D1. ECU needs some closer schools near by. The issues are that they are either outliers than anything else. SBC has an issue that there are only 4 west schools with football and 6 in the east. Texas State is the new New Mexico State lonely on an island. I do not think this would work for all 3 conferences for too much longer since they do not make the money like the P5. You need too fill the stands to offset it, and there are many schools including 3 in the AAC can't last long.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Kit-Cat - 10-26-2019 12:32 PM

(10-26-2019 12:08 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think the issues with C-USA, SBC and AAC for getting fans into the stadiums to fill seats are that they are spread out too far apart. Aside from UTSA hosting Army, the large crowds were with schools like Arizona, Oklahoma State or instate schools. Fans flock to San Antonio. Hosting FAU or FIU? Nothing. Fans are too far apart. Tulsa, UConn. and Tulane struggle to get fans to come. Tulsa may need some more instate schools to be D1. ECU needs some closer schools near by. The issues are that they are either outliers than anything else. SBC has an issue that there are only 4 west schools with football and 6 in the east. Texas State is the new New Mexico State lonely on an island. I do not think this would work for all 3 conferences for too much longer since they do not make the money like the P5. You need too fill the stands to offset it, and there are many schools including 3 in the AAC can't last long.

Houston's MAC level crowd on Thursday night tells me the only hope to sustaining nice crowds is to consistently maintain a 10 win level team like Boise St does year in and out.

Others things that help is a respected homecoming game and a rivalry game.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Kit-Cat - 10-26-2019 12:36 PM

UAB has the potential to put 40,000 in the stands and that is something you are not going to get with ODU or Georgia State.

Plus they've had a FB program since 1991 (30 years in 2021) which makes it less of an upstart situation.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Attackcoog - 10-26-2019 12:40 PM

(10-26-2019 12:08 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think the issues with C-USA, SBC and AAC for getting fans into the stadiums to fill seats are that they are spread out too far apart. Aside from UTSA hosting Army, the large crowds were with schools like Arizona, Oklahoma State or instate schools. Fans flock to San Antonio. Hosting FAU or FIU? Nothing. Fans are too far apart. Tulsa, UConn. and Tulane struggle to get fans to come. Tulsa may need some more instate schools to be D1. ECU needs some closer schools near by. The issues are that they are either outliers than anything else. SBC has an issue that there are only 4 west schools with football and 6 in the east. Texas State is the new New Mexico State lonely on an island. I do not think this would work for all 3 conferences for too much longer since they do not make the money like the P5. You need too fill the stands to offset it, and there are many schools including 3 in the AAC can't last long.

You make a good point about proximity and rivalries---but there is more to it than that. The MAC is as compact as a conference can get---and it has the lowest average attendance in FBS. Weather, weekday games, poor on field performance, pro/P5 competition, limited ceiling with no CFP access---these are just some of the issues that must be overcome by schools in G5 conferences. For instance, proximity probably wont make much difference at all if the game is on a Thursday night as its going to limit the number of people who can travel overnight to the game--even if its a relatively short trip. Additonally, small private schools which are great for a conference's academic prestige---are at a disadvantage for creating huge fan bases that big enrollment public schools can create. Smaller privates and academies make up an outsized chunk of the AAC membership. So, that high percentage of private schools membership will always be an additional obstacle when it comes to the AAC's drive to increase its attendance per game average.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - Attackcoog - 10-26-2019 12:53 PM

(10-26-2019 12:36 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  UAB has the potential to put 40,000 in the stands and that is something you are not going to get with ODU or Georgia State.

Plus they've had a FB program since 1991 (30 years in 2021) which makes it less of an upstart situation.

I wouldnt say that at all. At least two of the three probably have the potential to do that---especially Georgia St.

UAB has 21K students in a metro area of 1.1 million. Georgia St has 52K students and is located in a metro area of nearly 6 million. Plenty of "potential" for either---but I'd argue Georgia St likely has a much higher ceiling. Extracting that "potential" over the long term is really going to be about budgets and who is best at marshaling resources. Right now, the Georgia St athletic budget is about 5 million higher than UAB's. That would be something to keep and eye on over the next few years to see how that comparison develops.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - DavidSt - 10-26-2019 01:10 PM

ODU also have potentials as well. 25,000 students for fall of 2019. Norfolk is 224,076 census. The Norfolk-Newport News metro is 1.7 million. All three could be in the AAC in the future.
UTSA with 38,400 students with 2.5 million in the metro.

RE: UAB will be AAC 12th FB member - bullet - 10-26-2019 01:35 PM

(10-26-2019 12:53 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-26-2019 12:36 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  UAB has the potential to put 40,000 in the stands and that is something you are not going to get with ODU or Georgia State.

I wouldnt say that at all. At least two of the three probably have the potential to do that---especially Georgia St.

UAB has 21K students in a metro area of 1.1 million. Georgia St has 52K students and is located in a metro area of nearly 6 million. Plenty of "potential" for either---but I'd argue Georgia St likely has a much higher ceiling. Extracting that "potential" over the long term is really going to be about budgets and who is best at marshaling resources. Right now, the Georgia St athletic budget is about 5 million higher than UAB's. That would be something to keep and eye on over the next few years to see how that comparison develops.
I would say ODU has the highest ceiling and Georgia St. has the lowest.

ODU is the furthest from pro competition and instate P5 competition. Also the instate P5 competition has no MNCs and have rarely come close. They aren't competing with Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and Georgia Tech for interest. Its a much bigger metro than Birmingham.

Georgia State has the lowest because of the 1) the pros; 2) Georgia Tech is next door and UGA is within an hour. All 3 of the schools have a big commuter component and the competition makes it tougher to get those commuter student's interest.