CSNbbs
The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC (/thread-885575.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - flushtheherd - 10-21-2019 07:34 AM

Toledo and Buffalo are likely the only real threats on the rest of their schedule.

Toledo apparently can't do much of anything with their backup QB so that might be an easy W for CMU...

We get the mis-fortune of STILL not getting a true bye week until between our LAST two games... HOW THE F' does this happen? Most teams are getting two full bye weeks. We get a short additional off time as we go from a Saturday to the following tuesday... and then a full week between that tuesday and the NIU game two weeks later.

CMU gets a bye between NIU and BSU and then another bye between BSU and Toledo... thats going to definitely help them on the road against BSU and then getting ready for Toledo.

We are hopefully going to knock off both BSU at home and NIU on the road (after our only bye week)... which as I said on a previous thread... is likely the final nail in this atrocious season with us possibly sending CMU to the MACC by knocking out NIU on the road in the final game.

shoot me now.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - george14 - 10-21-2019 08:03 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to anoint us. BSU could be the best team in the MAC. NIU doesn't look great but they play teams close. Toledo could pick up steam by seasons end. We don't get a bye for another few weeks. We could easily drop a few games.

The reality is, the MAC sucks this season. I said earlier in the year the MACCG will likely features a couple 2-3 conference loss teams.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - arrows80 - 10-21-2019 09:31 AM

(10-21-2019 08:03 AM)george14 Wrote:  I wouldn't be so quick to anoint us. BSU could be the best team in the MAC. NIU doesn't look great but they play teams close. Toledo could pick up steam by seasons end. We don't get a bye for another few weeks. We could easily drop a few games.

The reality is, the MAC sucks this season. I said earlier in the year the MACCG will likely features a couple 2-3 conference loss teams.

I agree - I think we'd need to win out to win the west, and I don't see that happening.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - WMUlaxer97 - 10-21-2019 10:15 AM

Is McElwain really doing the best job of coaching in the state of Michigan? Patricia, SOL, Harbaugh, ugh, Dantonio, on his way out, Lester.... this season gets more depressing as we go.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - GRBRONCO - 10-21-2019 10:25 AM

The guy has been coach of the year in 2 separate conferences (soon to be 3) for a reason. Homerun hire for CMU.

Much better than hiring a green position coach based solely on being an alum.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - tayle's mullet - 10-21-2019 10:58 AM

^^^This is true. Although CMU will only get a few years of wild success out of their coach before he bails, while we could get a decade of 7-5 out of ours! Maybe even a couple of decades if everyone grows to enjoy and appreciate the mediocrity.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - r7carlsn24 - 10-21-2019 11:23 AM

Mac is doing a very good job coaching, but it also shows just how bad Bono and his staff were. They were bailed out by the play of Rush and Morris, but when they had to play their own QB, it was a disaster. Bono's staff recruited 99% of the guys playing this year, but they're finally getting coached up by a capable staff.

And while it's nice to control our own destiny, something I didn't expect after the loss to you guys, there's a lot of work left to be done for a team still finding it's identity.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Bronco'14 - 10-21-2019 05:03 PM

(10-21-2019 10:25 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  The guy has been coach of the year in 2 separate conferences (soon to be 3) for a reason.

Mike Neu good shot as well.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Ken Barna - 10-21-2019 05:19 PM

Dear Broncos,
There has been no other evidence of possible wrong doing by Coach McElwain at Central, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He has had controversy at two other schools. It is just me, but I think he is a coach that wants to win at any cost, and the rules belong to everyone else.
So, when some here have suggested he will be moving on in a short period of time, I agree, but not because of winning.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Bronco'14 - 10-21-2019 05:30 PM

(10-21-2019 05:19 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Broncos,
There has been no other evidence of possible wrong doing by Coach McElwain at Central, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He has had controversy at two other schools. It is just me, but I think he is a coach that wants to win at any cost, and the rules belong to everyone else.
So, when some here have suggested he will be moving on in a short period of time, I agree, but not because of winning.

Speculation on your part.

Also congrats on the win Saturday. It was and still is painful, but happy to see how far you guys have come. I know I was complaining about the stadium and atmosphere, but you guys are good now, a long ways from your 1-11, 0-12, 2-10 years.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - r7carlsn24 - 10-22-2019 12:58 PM

(10-21-2019 05:19 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Broncos,

Dear Ken,

What's it like to just completely speculate on something without any factual basis? Please enlighten me what rules Mac would've broken? The only contributors that can be identified as "Mac's guys" are QB Dormady (Grad transfer from Houston), QB Moore (JuCo transfer from Garden City) and OL Udeogo (Grad transfer from Iowa State). The rest were all recruited under Bono's staff or have not played this season.

You also stated on the Toledo forum that Moore had tested positive for Ligandrol and stated it was posted in one of the articles from the Detroit papers, when in fact, it was Florida QB Grier who tested positive for that substance. The substance Moore was suspended for has not been made public at this time.

In the end, I'm guessing your speculation can simply be attributed to the fact that you're angry that CMU dominated EMU in every phase of the game a few weeks ago. I think what's really happened at CMU, is that our previous staff was actually able to identify talent, but our unproven coach had a poor staff and did not find a capable QB. Now we have a coach who is a proven winner and can actually manage a game and run an effective offense.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Ken Barna - 10-22-2019 02:45 PM

Dear r7carlsn24,
First of all your coach had this happen to a quarterback, as you stated when he was coach at the University of Florida, and
the substance was Ligandrol. Now we have him as the coach at Central, and the quarterback gets suspended for using a banned substance. It's all just coincidental? Maybe, but I doubt it.
If, your coach is so up on rules and the straight and narrow, why did he have controversies at the two previous schools he coached before arriving at Central? Going from the University of Florida to Colorado State to Central Michigan is not exactly working your way up the coaches ladder. There is generally a reason or reasons for that to happen. If, he's a proven winner why is he going in the opposite direction that most coaches take?
Lastly, I said it was just speculation on my part, and that's the way I feel. Until your quarterback is reinstated with appeal, it does not look good from where I see things. I have the right to make my opinion public, just as you have.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - r7carlsn24 - 10-22-2019 03:07 PM

(10-22-2019 02:45 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear r7carlsn24,
First of all your coach had this happen to a quarterback, as you stated when he was coach at the University of Florida, and
the substance was Ligandrol. Now we have him as the coach at Central, and the quarterback gets suspended for using a banned substance. It's all just coincidental? Maybe, but I doubt it.
If, your coach is so up on rules and the straight and narrow, why did he have controversies at the two previous schools he coached before arriving at Central? Going from the University of Florida to Colorado State to Central Michigan is not exactly working your way up the coaches ladder. There is generally a reason or reasons for that to happen. If, he's a proven winner why is he going in the opposite direction that most coaches take?
Lastly, I said it was just speculation on my part, and that's the way I feel. Until your quarterback is reinstated with appeal, it does not look good from where I see things. I have the right to make my opinion public, just as you have.

You stated in your post that he breaks the rules. What rules has MacElwain personally broken?

Did he have "controversy" at UF? Yes, but from what has been published, he did not break any rules. And considering the number of Florida fans that still actively comment on CM Life articles and other social media about what Mac is doing at CMU, I can 100% believe that he would have received threats while the HC at Florida. I have seen no mention of a controversy during his time at Colorado State.

I also don't believe Mac is instructing his players to take banned substances. And if he was, it wouldn't make much sense to have Moore take them considering Moore was not the starting QB until an injury occurred in week two. If not for the injury, it would've had no benefit to the team.

Also, he went from Colorado State->Florida->Assistant at UM->CMU. So considering he resigned from Florida, he's not going to get a top tier job right away. He essentially has to start over again and work back up, if that's what he wants.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - flushtheherd - 10-22-2019 06:04 PM

Holy hell it has come to the point this season where we have a CMU and EMU poster arguing against each other on our BRONCO forum...

Is this a first?

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - r7carlsn24 - 10-22-2019 06:25 PM

(10-22-2019 06:04 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Holy hell it has come to the point this season where we have a CMU and EMU poster arguing against each other on our BRONCO forum...

Is this a first?

I’ll be done. I don’t like to get into arguments like this on other teams forums. Just calling out someone who is presenting things more as fact than opinion.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - flushtheherd - 10-22-2019 06:35 PM

(10-22-2019 06:25 PM)r7carlsn24 Wrote:  
(10-22-2019 06:04 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Holy hell it has come to the point this season where we have a CMU and EMU poster arguing against each other on our BRONCO forum...

Is this a first?

I’ll be done. I don’t like to get into arguments like this on other teams forums. Just calling out someone who is presenting things more as fact than opinion.

Completely understand... it just seems like this entire season has no regard for normalcy!

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - Boca Rocket - 10-24-2019 08:57 AM

(10-22-2019 03:07 PM)r7carlsn24 Wrote:  
(10-22-2019 02:45 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear r7carlsn24,

You stated in your post that he breaks the rules. What rules has MacElwain personally broken?

Did he have "controversy" at UF? Yes, but from what has been published, he did not break any rules. And considering the number of Florida fans that still actively comment on CM Life articles and other social media about what Mac is doing at CMU, I can 100% believe that he would have received threats while the HC at Florida. I have seen no mention of a controversy during his time at Colorado State.

I also don't believe Mac is instructing his players to take banned substances. And if he was, it wouldn't make much sense to have Moore take them considering Moore was not the starting QB until an injury occurred in week two. If not for the injury, it would've had no benefit to the team.

Also, he went from Colorado State->Florida->Assistant at UM->CMU. So considering he resigned from Florida, he's not going to get a top tier job right away. He essentially has to start over again and work back up, if that's what he wants.

In May 2012, three Colorado St FB players were booted from the team for beating up 4 students in April. In a 90 page police report, a search of the players' residence found anabolic steroids, new and
used syringes, etc. So now you know about that.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - BroncoMD - 10-26-2019 10:34 PM

Buffalo 42 - CMU 20. Now that CMU has lost their second (in the MAC) and Ohio beat BSU, we are back in the hunt for the West title. If we take care of business for the balance of season we have legit shot at the MACC.

Lester can prove a lot of people wrong if we win out. These next 3 games are huge.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - MajorHoople - 10-27-2019 07:11 AM

^ What he said.

RE: The Unlikely Rise of CMU to MACC - toddjnsn - 10-27-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:Lester can prove a lot of people wrong if we win out. These next 3 games are huge.

I think it'd be ridiculous to Expect us to go 3-0 the rest of the way. We haven't won on the road, and our D fails on the road for most quarters. 2 of those games are on the road.

I think a more optimal view would be seeing if we could go 2-1 out of those next 3 games. That'd be really nice. Wassink isn't 100% and even if midly improving every week, it can also take a step backward, too. And our O line has shown that it can fall a bit short as far as having some running room + giving Wassink good time.

But as far as what money-on-the-line expectations would be: I'd expect us to go 1-2, with one of those losses being a barn-burner on the road we fall just short on, and the other one we don't get stomped but we get Frustrated as it's not that close.... while the win is a big lift for us. This is my level of "par" -- as far as what to Expect, by default.