CSNbbs
Is - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Football (/forum-340.html)
+------ Thread: Is (/thread-885378.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is - BucDoctor - 10-19-2019 10:16 AM

the talent really there? Or are we looking through blue and gold colored glasses?

Is - ETSUfan1 - 10-19-2019 11:53 AM

I keep seeing the claim that we have great talent. I’m not sure if I see that we have this large amount of talent. We certainly don’t have any game breakers outside of the two running back’s on the offensive side.

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-19-2019 12:33 PM

Yes it is a good question and I guess is relative. We do have two All Americans on defense with other all conference players on both defense and offense. And two of the top running backs in the SoCon. The O line averages about 305 and should able to get pushes against our competition. It is very frustrating that we cannot run for a single yard in the middle of the field.

RE: Is - Buc66 - 10-19-2019 01:35 PM

Talent OR coaching? Which is most important when you can’t always have both at the same time? App State owned this league. I believe it was due to superior talent. Of course Jerry Moore was a good coach, but his athletes made him look great. Jerry Moore was one of the very best Division I-AA recruiters. He went after guys with speed and quickness who were not big enough for the big schools and brought them through there in droves over the years. If your offense can’t outrun and out quick the defenses, then you got some issues in today’s ballgame. So, coaching strategy or recruiting most important? Nice to have both, but K vote for speed and quickness in today’s game if I can’t have it all and build your coaching around your talent and do what works.

Is - ETSUfan1 - 10-19-2019 03:04 PM

We have two players in McGue and Couch I feel could be gamechangers but they are barely used. Why?

And we all know Thrasher’s dad was posting before the season. Could he give us some insight about what’s going on?

RE: Is - Buc76 - 10-19-2019 03:42 PM

Coaches and media agreed that the Bucs have talent this year. Seven were voted to the all conference pre season team. All but one are Torbush recruits.

The defense is highly ranked so far and the offense is middle to bottom in the league standings.

Bucs will lose the starting D-line, again all Torbush recruits and I don't see top talent to replace them. In fact there have been five (supposed to be really good lineman ) that have left the program ( for whatever reason ) that would have been RFr or RSF this year, plus our No 1-DL recruit this year didn't show.

IMO, the D will not be as good next year unless they can bring in some really good transfers and the only change I see for the offense would be at QB. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see how the team will improve unless Sanders changes the stale, predictable offense to an attacking offense that can score TDS and take the pressure off the Defense.

Food for thought. Sanders transfers for the most part, have been a bust.

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-19-2019 04:07 PM

Some very good points. We have a right to question what is going on. I have no problem with players still being Torbush's as our players would all be true or redshirt freshmen if they were all Sanders players.

RE: Is - Buc76 - 10-19-2019 06:46 PM

I'm not disappointed in having Torbush recruits, I'm elated they turned out to be good players,( especially since several posters on this board criticized Torbush and his staffs recruiting efforts ) and won a share of the SoCon championship. I don't see, after two recruiting classes that Sanders has the replacements for the Bucs departing seniors.

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-19-2019 09:24 PM

(10-19-2019 06:46 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  I'm not disappointed in having Torbush recruits, I'm elated they turned out to be good players,( especially since several posters on this board criticized Torbush and his staffs recruiting efforts ) and won a share of the SoCon championship. I don't see, after two recruiting classes that Sanders has the replacements for the Bucs departing seniors.

If there were an opening who should be hired?

RE: Is - Buc76 - 10-19-2019 10:47 PM

It's got to be someone that has a proven track record running a high powered offense.

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-19-2019 11:05 PM

(10-19-2019 10:47 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  It's got to be someone that has a proven track record running a high powered offense.
Chadwell?

RE: Is - etsubuc - 10-20-2019 07:39 AM

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that I think history will be more kind to Carl Torbush than the fans were at the time that he was the coach. He did exactly what he was brought in to do, was a great spokesperson for the program, and the talent that he was able to recruit despite facilities and the record was impressive.

Also, I do think we have the talent needed to compete in the conference. At this level, is it just as much about execution and coaching than talent. I don't think UTC, VMI, Samford, Mercer, or Citadel have more talent than we do, but they are all ahead of us in the standings.

RE: Is - RodShaw2 - 10-20-2019 10:03 AM

(10-19-2019 11:05 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(10-19-2019 10:47 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  It's got to be someone that has a proven track record running a high powered offense.
Chadwell?

He has a lot baggage from his time at Charleston Southern
Also he is already coaching at FBS level would he want to go backwards?

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-20-2019 10:28 AM

(10-20-2019 10:03 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(10-19-2019 11:05 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
Chadwell?

He has a lot baggage from his time at Charleston Southern
Also he is already coaching at FBS level would he want to go backwards?

Good points.

RE: Is - brock20 - 10-20-2019 11:39 AM

You people are out of your mind. Only on this board will you see people talking about how Carl Torbush (a coach who lost to Maryville, Emory Henry among others) be seen as a good coach while Sanders (the guy who brought ETSU it’s ONLY Socon title ever) be seen as bad. Absolutely bananas.

RE: Is - brock20 - 10-20-2019 11:45 AM

And let’s stop with the “torbush recruits”. From what several people have said, he didn’t hardly leave the area. Billy Taylor recruited those guys on defense.

RE: Is - Buc76 - 10-20-2019 01:42 PM

I specifically gave credit to the Torbush staff for recruiting good players.

As far as losing to Maryville etc., anyone that thinks that true freshman can compete with a veteran team is bananas.

RE: Is - Buc76 - 10-20-2019 01:55 PM

Let me correct my statement on freshman not competing with veteran teams. The Bucs competed very hard in their early years but couldn't finish the deal because of lack of strength, size and experience. After three years in the weight room, and experiencing game conditions, you saw boys turning into men, which culminated in a winning season and a share of the SoCon Championship.

RE: Is - Buc66 - 10-20-2019 02:39 PM

(10-20-2019 01:55 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Let me correct my statement on freshman not competing with veteran teams. The Bucs competed very hard in their early years but couldn't finish the deal because of lack of strength, size and experience. After three years in the weight room, and experiencing game conditions, you saw boys turning into men, which culminated in a winning season and a share of the SoCon Championship.

But — why this dramatic drop all the way to the cellar in one season? Seems all 22 starters and most of their backups from last year are gone and we’re back to square one, reminiscent of those program early startup years. Why such a radical drop off?

RE: Is - bucfan81 - 10-20-2019 03:06 PM

(10-20-2019 02:39 PM)Buc66 pid'16386209 Wrote:
(10-20-2019 01:55 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Let me correct my statement on freshman not competing with veteran teams. The Bucs competed very hard in their early years but couldn't finish the deal because of lack of strength, size and experience. After three years in the weight room, and experiencing game conditions, you saw boys turning into men, which culminated in a winning season and a share of the SoCon Championship.

But — why this dramatic drop all the way to the cellar in one season? Seems all 22 starters and most of their backups from last year are gone and we’re back to square one, reminiscent of those program early startup years. Why such a radical drop off?
I think the reality is we are all searching for answers for our team this year. We actually did return plenty on talent on this team. Player, Maduafokwa, Bockrath, Robinson and many more. Our O line is big and experienced having lost only Pyke(a very good center) and the list goes on. We have a new, inexperienced quarterback. Could that be the difference? Or is it scheme as many believe? I for one would be happy to see improvement but we are going to have to improve quickly.