CSNbbs
The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? (/thread-884928.html)

The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Garrettabc - 10-12-2019 08:47 PM

In any other division, there are only a few teams with a realistic chance of winning it in any given year. The ACC Coastal is a different animal all together. Must be nice if you are one of the 7 teams in that division, nobody should feel that they don’t stand a chance, even if you slip up a few times you could still be in the race till the final game.

But without the dominant team, you get little respect as a division winner with 3-4 losses on the year and a date to get woodshedded by Clemson.

Is the parity a good or bad thing?

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - EvilVodka - 10-12-2019 08:55 PM

(10-12-2019 08:47 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  In any other division, there are only a few teams with a realistic chance of winning it in any given year. The ACC Coastal is a different animal all together. Must be nice if you are one of the 7 teams in that division, nobody should feel that they don’t stand a chance, even if you slip up a few times you could still be in the race till the final game.

But without the dominant team, you get little respect as a division winner with 3-4 losses on the year and a date to get woodshedded by Clemson.

I don't think it will be Virginia or Virginia Tech

I like Pitt to make a run, and i like Duke and Miami as well

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Hokie Mark - 10-13-2019 06:52 PM

(10-12-2019 08:47 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  In any other division, there are only a few teams with a realistic chance of winning it in any given year. The ACC Coastal is a different animal all together. Must be nice if you are one of the 7 teams in that division, nobody should feel that they don’t stand a chance, even if you slip up a few times you could still be in the race till the final game.

Winning a division with more than 2 losses is never a good thing IMO. Ideally you want your division winners to have 1 or none.

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 10-13-2019 10:38 PM

I don’t think there is any question that the ACC Coastal is weak. Also, it is absolutely and correctly disrespected by everyone. However, if I’m being honest about things, I really don’t care.

Let’s be very honest with ourselves and acknowledge the obvious reality that aside from Clemson, the whole ACC stinks. It’s not like one division is loaded with great teams and the other one has a bunch of also rans. The whole conference is a bunch of midgets with one giant exception.

Who is the second best team in the entire ACC after Clemson? Seriously who is it?

So, is that good for the league?

Does it matter?

No and no.

Also, there are plenty of other really bad divisions among the Power 5.

From a media perspective, it would be beneficial to the ACC if Miami and Virginia Tech got their respective acts together.

However, if they don’t, so what?

Are they going to take away the ACC’s automatic bid?

Don’t be ridiculous.

Will they also take away the Pac-12’s auto-bid because the Pac 12 South stinks? Last year, the B1G West was probably the worst single division in the BCS era and no one even talks about it.

Was it great for the Big Ten whenever Michigan State and Iowa and Wisconsin were winning that conference? Probably not. It’s probably better for them when Michigan and Ohio State are winning that league. However, so what?

Was it great for the Big 12 when Baylor and Texas Tech were winning that conference instead of Oklahoma or Texas? No, not at all. Did it ultimately matter? Again, no, not at all.

It’s best for MLB whenever the Yankees win the World Series. However, the Kansas City Royals can still win the World Series, right? It’s best for the NFL when the Cowboys, the Steelers or the Packers win it. However, the Baltimore Ravens can still win it, right?

I don’t think it is good for the league for Clemson to run away with it every single year. However, I don’t think it means a whole helluva lot from a perception standpoint because perspectives change so quickly in this day and age. The truth is over the past few years, Clemson would have run away with almost every conference. They have been very, very good.

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 10-13-2019 10:42 PM

I have been around this game long enough to understand that perception is really irrelevant.

It’s a kangaroo court. The people that are determined to look down their nose at you will look down their nose at you no matter what.

The people who are open-minded, will continue to be open-minded as well. There’s really nothing you can do to change anyone’s mind no matter what you say or do. Therefore, I don’t really care what anyone has to say. I just want to beat them when afforded the opportunity to do so.

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - ChrisLords - 10-14-2019 12:07 AM

I like it a lot. Once you get that first loss, you're out of the CFP picture. That's not true for everyone but 80% of teams are out with 1 loss. It's nice to still be able to root for winning the division even after you have a couple of conference losses. There is that potential woodshed beating vs. Clemson in the ACCCG but, I'd much rather win the division and play in that game, than not win the division and have to wait to play in a 2nd tier or lower bowl game.

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - EvilVodka - 10-14-2019 07:44 PM

Why is everyone brainwashed that the ACC Coastal is bad? It is by far the stronger division in the ACC.

The divisional race is actually exciting, and I think the winner might be playing for an Orange Bowl bid

I have never watched as much Pitt football as I have this year. I'm on the Pitt bandwagon now

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - georgia_tech_swagger - 10-14-2019 07:53 PM

(10-14-2019 07:44 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Why is everyone brainwashed that the ACC Coastal is bad? It is by far the stronger division in the ACC.

The divisional race is actually exciting, and I think the winner might be playing for an Orange Bowl bid

I have never watched as much Pitt football as I have this year. I'm on the Pitt bandwagon now

[Image: fry_squint.jpg]

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Garrettabc - 10-14-2019 08:55 PM

Let the record show that I did not call the Coastal division “bad”.

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - HRFlossY - 10-15-2019 10:49 AM

(10-14-2019 07:44 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  It is by far the stronger division in the ACC.

I'll agree, that the coastal may get a bad rap because of no Dominant team, but by FAR the strongest is a bridge too far!!?!?03-yawn

RE: The wheel of destiny division is a good or bad thing? - Statefan - 10-15-2019 11:01 AM

The 7 Coastal schools greatly benefit by their placement in the Coastal. Most importantly they are guranteed appearences in the State of Virgina, State of NC, and State of Florida for recruiting purposes. Every other year they get Pennsylvania, and Georgia.

This is where the kids are that you need for your team. This is the number one advantage of the Coastal - recruiting for those schools that can't recruit with just a phone call.

The largest stadiums and best filling percentage in stadiums is in the Atlantic save for the three small private schools.

1. Clemson 81K - filling near 100%
2. FSU 78K - fillin near 85%
3. Louisville 65K - filling near 100%
4. NC State 60K - filling near 100%

In the Coastal you have:

1. VT 65K - filling at 90%
2. UVa 61K - filling at 85%
3. GT 55 K - filling at 90%
4. UNC - 51K - filling at 95% after cutting 12,000 seats

Miami and Pitt are in professional stadiums but average just 60K and 45K

If you want to address the problem you have to split Clemson and FSU. Then you have to split VT and UVa. If you start with that premise you can get more equal divisions

But nothing is going to happen because the way the bylaws are written, (or were written) you needed 75% to change this or 12 of 14/15/0r 16