CSNbbs
Defensive Scheme - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Defensive Scheme (/thread-884480.html)

Pages: 1 2

Defensive Scheme - sekudog - 10-07-2019 12:58 PM

First off, I am extremely happy with the Dukes season so far - on both sides of the ball. But this is a message board so I can nitpick. I am wondering, at what point do the coaches change our defensive scheme to make up for our lack of ability to cover one on one on the outside? Jimmy is gone...there is no substitute. We clearly have athletic, talented guys but they are not yet able to cover 1:1 effectively. After 5 games shouldn't the coaches be changing our coverages/schemes to compensate for this fact? They know Shad nor Tutt are out there (What happened to Oliver by the way? Wasn't he our other corner opposite Jimmy most of the time last year)? I feel like this is a coaching issue now, you can't simply keep doing the same things and expect different results after 5 games. Am I nuts?

Defensive Scheme - JMU85 - 10-07-2019 01:28 PM

Oliver was a Senior last year.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RE: Defensive Scheme - 94computerguy - 10-07-2019 02:27 PM

That's a great question. I mean, every option has tradeoffs. We could play more deep zone, but that softens up the run defense a lot. We could add pressure and play short zone, but that opens us up to the deep ball when you can't get to the QB in time.

I don't know the answer. But it sure is troubling.

RE: Defensive Scheme - sekudog - 10-07-2019 02:37 PM

But are our defensive backs really making stops in the run defense? Seems to me most of the time it is the front 7 making those plays when we are playing good run d.....perhaps it is a tenant of the blitzing packages we like to run not sure but I agree, if not softer zones then maybe less bump and run at the line?

RE: Defensive Scheme - 94computerguy - 10-07-2019 02:39 PM

Well, I don't have the film handy, but there were multiple medium-deep throws where, looking at the replay, I thought "where the hell are the safeties"? Maybe they were too easily burned on play-action?

RE: Defensive Scheme - Longhorn - 10-07-2019 03:10 PM

I wouldn’t change the defensive schemes (young players are still learning it), but we need better safety play. Maybe a change of starters is warranted.

RE: Defensive Scheme - sekudog - 10-07-2019 03:12 PM

Great article on same subject - you have probably seen it but:

https://jmusportsnews.com/2019/10/07/jmu-secondary-struggles-against-the-seawolves/

I say we win out regular season despite this shortcoming but if we don't fix it by playoff time it will cost us.

RE: Defensive Scheme - Dukester - 10-07-2019 03:33 PM

(10-07-2019 03:10 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  I wouldn’t change the defensive schemes (young players are still learning it), but we need better safety play. Maybe a change of starters is warranted.

Ok with young players learning new system. Just concerning them being less effective as we go through the season and looking lost.

RE: Defensive Scheme - Longhorn - 10-07-2019 04:51 PM

(10-07-2019 03:33 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 03:10 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  I wouldn’t change the defensive schemes (young players are still learning it), but we need better safety play. Maybe a change of starters is warranted.

Ok with young players learning new system. Just concerning them being less effective as we go through the season and looking lost.

Agreed. As was pointed out in the NC year the D looked lost until the Nova game, and then like magic they “got it” and became ferocious. Here’s to hoping the defensive backfield gets it together. The DL, and to a lesser degree the LBs, are already playing at a high level.

RE: Defensive Scheme - Polish Hammer - 10-07-2019 05:08 PM

Nothing wrong with the scheme, in those videos you’ll see poor execution with players biting when they shouldn’t and/or getting caught flat footed. I’m sure the staff has already gone over the film and are stressing to the kids to stay within their assignments. No doubt opponents will be targeting the same thing so they better step up their game and execute.

RE: Defensive Scheme - bjk3047 - 10-07-2019 08:58 PM

So polish, you’re not wrong in that it’s definitely an execution problem. Pardon me if this has been pointed out already, but watch Amos (24) on the last play of the game:

https://youtu.be/3IjjzmEw_h8

Holy CRIPES is that maybe the worst read ever at the worst time that we can all forget about because the Stony Brook kid didn’t catch it.

But so my question is, if execution is that bad, can the scheme not be tailored to reduce weaknesses in execution?

RE: Defensive Scheme - jmu007 - 10-07-2019 09:04 PM

(10-07-2019 08:58 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  So polish, you’re not wrong in that it’s definitely an execution problem. Pardon me if this has been pointed out already, but watch Amos (24) on the last play of the game:

Holy CRIPES is that maybe the worst read ever at the worst time that we can all forget about because the Stony Brook kid didn’t catch it.

But so my question is, if execution is that bad, can the scheme not be tailored to reduce weaknesses in execution?

Not sure what you can do when you're got a play called to have the safety cover the deep half and he just runs 5 yards shallow of where the ball is going.

RE: Defensive Scheme - 5000DOLLARBILL - 10-07-2019 09:27 PM

Both safeties had some cringeworthy depth, positioning, and pursuit angles

RE: Defensive Scheme - Longhorn - 10-08-2019 05:42 AM

The question is whether the starting safeties can improve, or is there not the bench depth to replace them? I don’t believe it’s the scheme, it’s the players.

RE: Defensive Scheme - fishingduke12 - 10-08-2019 06:13 AM

(10-07-2019 09:04 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 08:58 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  So polish, you’re not wrong in that it’s definitely an execution problem. Pardon me if this has been pointed out already, but watch Amos (24) on the last play of the game:

Not sure what you can do when you're got a play called to have the safety cover the deep half and he just runs 5 yards shallow of where the ball is going.

That was a pass that should absolutely be picked if amos makes the right read

RE: Defensive Scheme - NJDuke97 - 10-08-2019 06:32 AM

maybe a stupid question but Wayne Davis is listed as a different position in the defense and to me Amos has had a tough season both at Safety and PR- couldn't they move Davis to the more traditional safety and play a traditional LB at the position that Davis has been playing?

RE: Defensive Scheme - fishingduke12 - 10-08-2019 06:57 AM

(10-08-2019 06:32 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  maybe a stupid question but Wayne Davis is listed as a different position in the defense and to me Amos has had a tough season both at Safety and PR- couldn't they move Davis to the more traditional safety and play a traditional LB at the position that Davis has been playing?

I dont think a LB is going to be about to handle to coverage responsibilities that the SPUR position has

RE: Defensive Scheme - doubleduke2016 - 10-08-2019 07:26 AM

Wow! Somehow I missed that read during the game. Was probably looking at the corner and WR but I agree that is an awful read. I would think you're only role there is to stay with the deepest man on your side until the ball is thrown and then jump up and knock it down. Even if he thought the ball was severely under-thrown I am not sure why you risk going forward when the game is over if it falls incomplete. Hopefully that was a onetime lapse in judgement but that looked bad.

RE: Defensive Scheme - bjk3047 - 10-08-2019 08:57 AM

(10-07-2019 09:04 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  Not sure what you can do when you're got a play called to have the safety cover the deep half and he just runs 5 yards shallow of where the ball is going.

Just watched again, and I'm convinced he was locked in on the football out of the QB's hand (45 yards of airtime!), was playing the ball the entire time (his head never gets over to his right), and flat out misjudged where it was going by a pretty stunning 9 yards or so. Took his "oh crap" pivot step at the 4, catch dropped 5 yards deep in the endzone.

RE: Defensive Scheme - ShadyP - 10-08-2019 09:30 AM

(10-07-2019 12:58 PM)sekudog Wrote:  First off, I am extremely happy with the Dukes season so far - on both sides of the ball. But this is a message board so I can nitpick. I am wondering, at what point do the coaches change our defensive scheme to make up for our lack of ability to cover one on one on the outside? Jimmy is gone...there is no substitute. We clearly have athletic, talented guys but they are not yet able to cover 1:1 effectively. After 5 games shouldn't the coaches be changing our coverages/schemes to compensate for this fact? They know Shad nor Tutt are out there (What happened to Oliver by the way? Wasn't he our other corner opposite Jimmy most of the time last year)? I feel like this is a coaching issue now, you can't simply keep doing the same things and expect different results after 5 games. Am I nuts?

Coaches very rarely change schemes either offensively or defensively during the season. That is a recipe for epic failure. You may tweak around the edges some but at all levels of football very rare to make an in season major scheme change. It would be very confusing to the players and lead to breakdowns all over the place in all phases.

Now if you want to say, hey let's play more base defense and blitz less sure. I also think folks are over-reacting. The defense is fine with Rashad in there to handle one side and can then roll coverage/safety help to the other side.