CSNbbs
A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? (/thread-883082.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - BIGDTiger - 09-18-2019 12:29 PM

With California & now New York both on the verge of passing new legislation allowing colleges to pay athletes, if the NCAA doesn’t change, and they currently say they won’t, more states will be following suit. When this happens, schools from these states will have to form a new association and new leagues.

I know all of this may seem unlikely, but I’d hedge my bets on this happening. Hopefully Tennessee will jump on board. I’m against paying students, but I’m also for being smart and changing to stay alive. If The state of Tennessee and The UofM act accordingly, they could find themselves on the right side of history. It’s time for the UofM to align itself with the upcoming changes.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - southpaw1 - 09-18-2019 12:59 PM

Instead of paying the athletes they should give them full scholarships so they can get a great free education.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - memtigbb - 09-18-2019 01:23 PM

(09-18-2019 12:59 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  Instead of paying the athletes they should give them full scholarships so they can get a great free education.

30 years ago a free education at a university was worth a lot.

Now, you are basically offering the same as a highschool diploma. The value has dropped so low it isnt really a payment anymore.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - RCM1029 - 09-18-2019 01:25 PM

(09-18-2019 12:59 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  Instead of paying the athletes they should give them full scholarships so they can get a great free education.

If they pay the athletes, will the athletes then be responsible for funding their own education? Inquiring minds and all....

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - Neored1829 - 09-18-2019 01:29 PM

I used to feel that way about paying college athletes. A scholarship is a valuable thing, and there are a lot of perks to being a college athlete that go above and beyond the scholarship. (all the sweet gear, elevated "status" on campus for example) But given the astronomical amount of TV money that is flowing into schools today, even schools like the U of M that are on lower end of the gravy train, it seems almost immoral not to have some of that money available to the athletes who are responsible for the on air product. I know it would open a big can of worms particularly in regards to non-revenue producing sports, but something about it just seems "wrong" to me. And I know that is a pretty large dose of hypocrisy. It bothers me but not enough to stop watching/supporting/loving college sports. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread. In response to OP, I hope the UofM is able to get off the sinking NCAA ship.

A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - aardWolf - 09-18-2019 01:57 PM

You would have to institute some kind of salary cap, or the schools with the money would just buy all the recruits (like they do under the table today).

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - memtigbb - 09-18-2019 02:00 PM

Domino effect....

I need to make a decision regarding what college I attend where I can make the most profit. There are so many factors involved. I need to hire a lawyer, an agent, and a representative.

You don't ask coaches to negotiate their own contract, or University Pres, or AD, but now you want a 17 year old kid to navigate his way through the financial world...

Nope. Now you have to let the kid hire representation to ensure his best course. So now, college has kids being paid, plus agents, shoe company deals and their agents, lawyers, business advisors, etc.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - ncrdbl1 - 09-18-2019 02:01 PM

Do away with ALL athletic scholarships and force them to pay their own way and they must have all their fees paid before they can step foot on campus.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - uskjtc02 - 09-18-2019 02:01 PM

If student athletes start getting paid it will separate the big boys from the rest even more.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - aTxTIGER - 09-18-2019 02:10 PM

(09-18-2019 02:00 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Domino effect....

I need to make a decision regarding what college I attend where I can make the most profit. There are so many factors involved. I need to hire a lawyer, an agent, and a representative.

You don't ask coaches to negotiate their own contract, or University Pres, or AD, but now you want a 17 year old kid to navigate his way through the financial world...

Nope. Now you have to let the kid hire representation to ensure his best course. So now, college has kids being paid, plus agents, shoe company deals and their agents, lawyers, business advisors, etc.

17 year old athletes all over the world do this all the time. Its only in the United States that we've tied major revenue sports to universities under some hypocritical form of faux amateurism.

Marc Gasol had an agent when he went to FC Barcelona.

Christian Pulisic had an agent at 16 when he was signed by Borussia Dortmund. Got an apparel deal at 17

Coco Gauff is barely 15. She has agents, lawyers, apparel deals, etc etc etc.

Having representation isnt a big deal.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - memtigbb - 09-18-2019 02:15 PM

(09-18-2019 02:10 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

17 year old athletes all over the world do this all the time. Its only in the United States that we've tied major revenue sports to universities under some hypocritical form of faux amateurism.

Christian Pulisic had an agent at 16 when he was signed by Borussia Dortmund. Got an apparel deal at 17

So basically you are saying college is no longer amateur. Which is fine with me. If anything you are just reinforcing my point. If they are doing this, then kids will need representation, period. At that point you are no longer amateur, you are starting a career.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - aTxTIGER - 09-18-2019 02:24 PM

(09-18-2019 02:15 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(09-18-2019 02:10 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

So basically you are saying college is no longer amateur. Which is fine with me. If anything you are just reinforcing my point. If they are doing this, then kids will need representation, period. At that point you are no longer amateur, you are starting a career.

Yes, they shouldnt be amateurs if people are willing to pay them for their services.

And there is probably another larger conversation about whether or not institutions of higher learning should be involved in high revenue athletics anyway.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - Claw - 09-18-2019 02:26 PM

Hmmm...

How does Title IX play into this?

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - BengalBurger - 09-18-2019 02:39 PM

If the NCAA doesn't change, then that means that if the athletes accept $$, they will forfeit their amateur status. therefore, these players would be ineligible - right now (unless the NCAA changes its stance). So this may be much ado about nothing.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - SMUleopold - 09-18-2019 02:40 PM

(09-18-2019 12:29 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  With California & now New York both on the verge of passing new legislation allowing colleges to pay athletes, if the NCAA doesn’t change, and they currently say they won’t, more states will be following suit. When this happens, schools from these states will have to form a new association and new leagues.

I know all of this may seem unlikely, but I’d hedge my bets on this happening. Hopefully Tennessee will jump on board. I’m against paying students, but I’m also for being smart and changing to stay alive. If The state of Tennessee and The UofM act accordingly, they could find themselves on the right side of history. It’s time for the UofM to align itself with the upcoming changes.

No, it's not.

Your talking about creating, from scratch, a brand new organization legally, ethically, financially, philosophically, etc.

School presidents don't want any part of that. Not when, no matter how frustrating the NCAA is, they have a semi-working model that can be amended and evolve. If state or federal level legislation forces their hand, making them evolve, then so be it - they couldn't argue with that anyway.

But people are dead wrong if they think that even the jock sniffing schools want a completely different model where the tail wags the dog. One where the any attempt at direct education of student athletes is jettisoned for a purely financial, quasi-professional model that has little or nothing to do with classical academic concerns. I guarantee you the Stanfords, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, Rices, etc. - not to mention the service academies - are out, and probably the Michigans, USC's, and Notre Dames. So this idea won't happen.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - Tigx - 09-18-2019 03:12 PM

(09-18-2019 02:26 PM)Claw Wrote:  Hmmm...

Since it will never happen, guess the answer is not at all.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - aardWolf - 09-18-2019 03:45 PM

(09-18-2019 02:26 PM)Claw Wrote:  Hmmm...

If you don't provide scholarships for revenue-generating male sports, that means less scholarships that you have to provide to women for non-revenue generating sports. So the least of the women's programs would likely cease to exist.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - fsquid - 09-18-2019 03:54 PM

NCAA will either adapt or die. I bet they adapt.

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - tigernole79 - 09-18-2019 04:10 PM

(09-18-2019 03:54 PM)fsquid Wrote:  NCAA will either adapt or die. I bet they adapt.

I bet once the NCAA threatens to ban every Cali school from participating in NCAA sports and collecting revenue from the NCAA, they refuse to follow state law.

Cali is making a RIDIUCLOUS political move here. All they did is say that don't have to follow NCAA rules, nothing else. They don't offer any solution to the problem, just saying don't follow their rules.

Cali, and EXTREMELY rightfully so is about to get 03-nutkick

RE: A new College Athletic Association will be formed. Will we be ready? - fsquid - 09-18-2019 04:11 PM

Cali schools make more money from their TV deals than the NCAA championships. I bet the NCAA changes.