CSNbbs
Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread (/thread-883075.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 05-27-2020 01:42 AM

(05-26-2020 11:18 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  The Ypsilanti 11 talks about 2021 commits! Okay, In the MAC East there aren't as many commits at this point, and in football the MAC East might be A little weaker except Miami which is very young, and loaded with talent, then the MAC West! But in our state C Mich has 12 commits, W Mich has 11 commits, N Illinois has 13 commits, and Toledo has 15 commits! We compete in the MAC West folks, and we've ONE commit! These 6-7 seasons won't change this pattern period! This year's A make, or break for CC...…..He's 25-26 the past 4 seasons, which for E Michigan football historically is great, but to be taken serious, we need to win the MAC WEST! Miami Ohio won the MAC, and has 17 2021 commits, and C Mich after an 1-11 season wins the MAC West, and has 12 commits! I see A 5-7 season next season, at best 6-6! At Kentucky, At Missouri, At Army, At W Mich, At Miami Ohio will all be tough...…..Until I see our running game, new QB, and our DL, LB, I can't see much better...….I wish I could! Can't wait for the responses back! We need to quit making excuses for CC, this is year 7 folks...….

This year has been different in D-I. Schools are getting commits very early, much, much so than in previous years.

We are still on our own schedule of things going slowly of the recruits junior year.

I do see we are missing on a lot of prospects whom I like.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 05-27-2020 08:38 AM

Dear EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s,
If, you check out some of the recruits at these other schools, some had only the offer from the school they chose, some, only had the MAC offer as their only FBS offer, and many are listed as two star or less, meaning no star level was given.
I also get the fact that stars do not necessarily mean much if there is perceived talent by the coaching staff.
It does bother me a little when someone that Eastern was recruiting decides on a different school, but you are never going to get everyone that your school recruits. On that note, again checking the recruits of the schools mentioned, Eastern was probably only involved with about 50% of them. So, my point being we were not even involved in many of the decisions made by the recruits of other schools.
I say relax, there is a lot of time left to get quality players.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 05-27-2020 01:02 PM

(05-27-2020 08:38 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s,
If, you check out some of the recruits at these other schools, some had only the offer from the school they chose, some, only had the MAC offer as their only FBS offer, and many are listed as two star or less, meaning no star level was given.
I also get the fact that stars do not necessarily mean much if there is perceived talent by the coaching staff.
It does bother me a little when someone that Eastern was recruiting decides on a different school, but you are never going to get everyone that your school recruits. On that note, again checking the recruits of the schools mentioned, Eastern was probably only involved with about 50% of them. So, my point being we were not even involved in many of the decisions made by the recruits of other schools.

Ken,

I have two thoughts on your comments:

1). I agree completely that to add a bunch of commits early with so-so ratings isn't a great strategy. Early commits should be better recruits.

A number of MAC schools have a lot of recruits, but their quality is debatable.

This can be easily seen for the early rankings for the 2021 class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=MAC

2). I'm disappointed that we continue to miss on a lot of good G5 recruits from our own state of Michigan.

Once again, we seem to do better outside our own backyard. I'm disappointed that we can't make inroads in schools like Belleville, River Rouge, etc. which should be natural for us.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 05-27-2020 01:04 PM

(05-27-2020 01:02 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Ken,

1). I agree completely that to add a bunch of commits early with so-so ratings isn't a great strategy. Early commits should be better recruits.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=MAC

2). I'm disappointed that we continue to miss on a lot of good G5 recruits from our own state of Michigan.

Once again, we seem to do better outside our own backyard. I'm disappointed that we can't make inroads in schools like Belleville, River Rouge, etc. which should be natural for us.

I would agree especially with our new football building

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 05-27-2020 01:57 PM

We've spent millions of dollars on the new facilities, and we're currently dead last in the MAC West in 2021 recruiting! Creighton has hit his peak which is 6-6 most likely, typically your best recruits are your 1st 10 players, because they're normally your first priority on recruiting! We're getting out recruiting by C Mich with older facilities! This is CC 7th recruiting class........excuses can't be made anymore.........Ball St has 5 commits, C Mich 12 commits, W Mich 11 commits, and Toledo, 15.......New facilities and ONE commit! I really like CC, and I thank him for making us a respectable D1 football program, instead of a laughing stock, but We're losing the battles in Michigan, and we simply have to win some of those! I hope I'm dead wrong, and we beat W Mich, C Mich, Toledo, N Illinois, and Ball St next season!

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - steve4840 - 05-29-2020 01:40 PM

Ken,

I feel like we have more in-road progress as of late. We've signed some local guys (Howie, David Carter) to name a couple. I am getting a little alarmed at the lack of signings at this point (1 commit as of May 29) and I really want to hear why. I trust CC and the staff and am not freaking out as their recruiting the last 3 seasons has been good and getting better each year (take a look a the number of 3 star guys on 247 sports from 5 years ago to last year). It might just go to show you the impact that CC has on these guys in-person and our lack of on-site campus visits have hindered that. Any thoughts as to why we are so low now?

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 05-29-2020 02:03 PM

Y
(05-29-2020 01:40 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Ken,

I feel like we have more in-road progress as of late. We've signed some local guys (Howie, David Carter) to name a couple. I am getting a little alarmed at the lack of signings at this point (1 commit as of May 29) and I really want to hear why. I trust CC and the staff and am not freaking out as their recruiting the last 3 seasons has been good and getting better each year (take a look a the number of 3 star guys on 247 sports from 5 years ago to last year). It might just go to show you the impact that CC has on these guys in-person and our lack of on-site campus visits have hindered that. Any thoughts as to why we are so low now?
Why are we struggling? 5-7, 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 last 4 seasons! Mediocrity! Recruits want to see championships, 33 years since we won one, 1987! C Mich last season, W Mich, very recently, N Illinois multiple last decade, and Toledo, very recently! Miami Ohio trending upward, won it last season, and has 17 commits in 2021! Winning is all that matters.......Look at Ohio St versus Michigan........enough said! This is CC 7th season, and it's now, or never realistically! CC is a great human being, cares about his players, parents seem to really like him, ONE huge probably, 25-26 his last 4 seasons, you can't count the 1st two, because what he walked into! 3-21 doesn't count! C Mich went from 1-11 to 8-4, and won the MAC West......that's why we're struggling........Win baby! Why are we sooooo good at track and field, and cross country? All of those banners sell themselves!

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 05-29-2020 03:22 PM

Dear EMUTHEGLORYDAYSthe90's,
Again, I think you are panicking. You need to relax a bit. As far as Central's record last year, you left off the fact that they lost the MAC Championship game, and their bowl game to finish 8-6. Yes, they had a winning record, but nothing to crow to the skies about.
Do you really think that Coach Creighton can't bring us to a MAC championship? I'm not going to say that Eastern has done everything at a perfect level, including recruiting, but I like what I have seen the last few years.
The very fact that Eastern has been competitive has created an excitement in Ypsilanti. That, has created an expectation to win. It is going to happen.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 05-29-2020 04:41 PM

(05-29-2020 03:22 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EMUTHEGLORYDAYSthe90's,
Again, I think you are panicking. You need to relax a bit. As far as Central's record last year, you left off the fact that they lost the MAC Championship game, and their bowl game to finish 8-6. Yes, they had a winning record, but nothing to crow to the skies about.
Do you really think that Coach Creighton can't bring us to a MAC championship? I'm not going to say that Eastern has done everything at a perfect level, including recruiting, but I like what I have seen the last few years.
The very fact that Eastern has been competitive has created an excitement in Ypsilanti. That, has created an expectation to win. It is going to happen.
Ken, I agree about some buzz about the program, but we continually are getting out recruited........Yes, we've done much better then before, but we're not going 9-3, or 10-2 either! Next year I see 6-6 as the peak........1 commit, the end of May, and we've all these new facilities

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - FrankAnderson - 05-29-2020 04:46 PM

No need to panic over recruits right now. We started slow last year, with only 2 commits by this point, and ended up in 7th in the MAC (only 1.52 points behind 6th place, and less than 10 points from 5th place).

Maybe someone else can speak on this, if they've got info, but often a recruit committing takes much more then sending a tweet. They are usually in conversation with the coaching staff before hand. Perhaps due to the current challenges, it been slower going through the full stages of the recruitment. Maybe Creighton and company need to have X number of conversations with the player before the offer is 'committable,' and that process has been slower.

These are just examples. I don't have any inside info. But that stuff happens during recruiting. I don't think we need to pull the panic button yet. Let's give the staff time to round out the class. We can knock the staff for recruiting shortcomings in past years, but I'll reserve my judgement for this recruiting class until later.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 05-29-2020 05:02 PM

Frank, some MAC schools are getting a jump on us by getting MI prepsters.

That is why we are starting slowly vis a vis CMU, TOL, WMU, etc.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - Jerry Weaver - 05-29-2020 06:19 PM

(05-29-2020 03:22 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EMUTHEGLORYDAYSthe90's,

Ken I agree. MACC contestants CMU's and Miami's accomplishments last year while very admirable included an incredible amount of good fortune. CMU drew the two worst teams in the East for crossover games, won a miracle in Muncie, and faced Toledo and NIU at the stage of the season they were mailing it in. Miami won EVERY close game MAC game it played. Neither fared well in their bowls as they were not that good. I truly believe that the best teams in the MAC last year were in order Buffalo, Ohio and Kent State.

Creighton needs to solve two problems.

One, our defense, without stud DE's Maxx, Harris and POC and the overall team was the worst in the last four years. Neathery has to make a comeback this year for sure as CMU and Buffalo blew us out. As Sam has pointed out, that had not happened to us in a MAC game in a long time.

Two, our record in overtime and one possession games is absurdly unsuccessful. The offensive strategy in the fourth quarter clearly needs a refresh. The 2017 team that finished 3-5 in conference would have been 7-1 had they encountered the same one possession game results that MAC Champion Miami did this previous season.

As far as recruiting, I think both Murphy and Creighton face a challenge that we ignore too often. While the campus is far more beautiful than when we attended school, the surrounding city clearly is not. The reputation of Ypsilanti throughout SE Michigan is hardly admirable, in fact the golf course employees at Eagle Crest joke about it regularly. Ypsilanti, while apparently starting a rebirth, is still a largely unattractive area and is in the same phase that Detroit was 15 years ago. Watch the replays of the 1987 team and notice how much of the roster was dominated by Michigan HS grads and then realize that Jake Donnellon was the first player recruited out of Washtenaw County since 2008! With respect to local recruits imbued with Ypsi's reputation, CC and Murph are fighting with one arm tied behind their back. It is what it is.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - cidbearit - 05-29-2020 06:35 PM

(05-29-2020 01:40 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  It might just go to show you the impact that CC has on these guys in-person and our lack of on-site campus visits have hindered that. Any thoughts as to why we are so low now?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Speaking from the perspective of CC's visits to Alex at his high school, his visit to our home to talk to me and Alex together, and Alex's official visit, there is an air about CC when you sit down next to him during the recruiting process that I don't believe can come across nearly as strong in virtual visits. And in talking to some of the other parents about it, they experienced the same thing. Once Creighton can sit down in homes again and show his personal passion to a player and his family when they visit campus, I'm sure we'll see a bounce in those '21 numbers. In the meantime, I hope he's learning to adapt his style to virtual visits to at least keep the guys interested.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 06-15-2020 07:10 AM

This is a fascinating story on a boom or bust type recruit from our own backyard.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/06/14/bellevilles-christian-dhue-reid-still-without-offers-he-takes-aim-state-passing-records/3187287001/

Christian Dhue-Reid is an extremely productive QB at Belleville who has two drawbacks: He is 5' 10" and secondly he weighs 230 lbs.

At 5' 10", a QB should be able to run, scramble, etc. to compensate for his height, but at 230 he measures like a LB, not a Mike Glass. Probably has the thickness to play DL in D-II.

Anyway, the Belleville staff is trying to get his weight down and if so he could be a short Mike Glass.

Will EMU bite????

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - holybovine - 06-15-2020 11:36 AM

(05-27-2020 01:57 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  We've spent millions of dollars on the new facilities, and we're currently dead last in the MAC West in 2021 recruiting! Creighton has hit his peak which is 6-6 most likely, typically your best recruits are your 1st 10 players, because they're normally your first priority on recruiting! We're getting out recruiting by C Mich with older facilities! This is CC 7th recruiting class........excuses can't be made anymore.........Ball St has 5 commits, C Mich 12 commits, W Mich 11 commits, and Toledo, 15.......New facilities and ONE commit! I really like CC, and I thank him for making us a respectable D1 football program, instead of a laughing stock, but We're losing the battles in Michigan, and we simply have to win some of those! I hope I'm dead wrong, and we beat W Mich, C Mich, Toledo, N Illinois, and Ball St next season!

Agreed. CC isn’t a championship caliber coach. And his conservative brand of football is one of the least enjoyable schematics to watch in the MAC.

All of the MAC schools are relatively similar in terms of academics, location, and overall experience. Why go to the one that plays football like the it’s the 90s?

Rasnick and Geynk teams were much more enjoyable to watch, despite their relative lack of success.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 06-15-2020 12:07 PM

Lot of EMU Twitter chatter suggesting that things are warming up for '21 class.

https://twitter.com/CoachSamSewell/status/1272571402655277056?s=20

Don't know what it is but a lot of ass't coaches posting with the hashtag #breaktrhough and also XXMMI.

Last I checked we will have a 2020 season so any reference to '21 has to be recruiting.

Here is a tweet from C.C.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Creighton/status/1272588865933578240?s=20

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - FrankAnderson - 06-15-2020 12:56 PM

Yes, I think a commitment or two will be announced soon. That's usually what these cryptic tweets mean.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 06-15-2020 02:08 PM

(06-15-2020 12:56 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Yes, I think a commitment or two will be announced soon. That's usually what these cryptic tweets mean.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11181839/Cameron-Smith/videos

Cameron Smith.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Cam-Smith-140241/RecruitInterests/

Wonder if more commits will indicate their commitment.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 06-15-2020 04:55 PM

(06-15-2020 02:08 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-15-2020 12:56 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Yes, I think a commitment or two will be announced soon. That's usually what these cryptic tweets mean.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11181839/Cameron-Smith/videos

Cameron Smith.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Cam-Smith-140241/RecruitInterests/

Wonder if more commits will indicate their commitment.

Nice pick up we beat most of the MAC for him.

RE: Unofficial 2021 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 06-15-2020 06:06 PM

I wonder if we'll have a small class this year (2021)?

I (or someone) should go through the roster and count the number of senior scholarship players.

EDIT: My count was 20. I just used the class as recorded by EMU on the official roster.

https://emueagles.com/sports/football/roster