CSNbbs
The stupidity of the AP poll - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The stupidity of the AP poll (/thread-882395.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The stupidity of the AP poll - EvilVodka - 09-08-2019 02:52 PM

LSU goes to Austin and beats Texas
Georgia beats Murray State at home

Georgia ahead of LSU

huh
=============
Michigan still in the AP top 10 ahead of Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State, and Utah

huh

did they even watch the game? Michigan looked like crap and probably should have lost
==============

Hawaii is 2-0 against the PAC12, not ranked
==============
North Carolina has wins against South Carolina and Miami

not ranked

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - solohawks - 09-08-2019 02:53 PM

As long as you dont lose

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - quo vadis - 09-08-2019 02:53 PM

(09-08-2019 02:52 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  LSU goes to Austin and beats Texas
Georgia beats Murray State at home

Georgia ahead of LSU

huh

The AP poll isn't about who has accomplished the most. Heck, why is UCF #17 just because they beat an FCS team and FAU?

It's just about who the pollsters think are the best teams, for whatever reasons they have.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - zoocrew - 09-08-2019 02:54 PM

Also Boise is somehow ranked despite their best win being Marshall. Makes no sense I agree.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - otown - 09-08-2019 02:54 PM

Change the thread title to the stupidly of preseason polls....... this is why we are where we are

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - otown - 09-08-2019 02:56 PM

(09-08-2019 02:54 PM)zoocrew Wrote:  Also Boise is somehow ranked despite their best win being Marshall. Makes no sense I agree.

And barely beating Marshal. They snuck into the polls way too early just because they beat a name brand that people thought was great.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - TampaTom - 09-08-2019 03:06 PM

I would absolutely have Hawaii and California ranked at this point. I understand Maryland, they are on fire.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - CardinalJim - 09-08-2019 03:10 PM

Where you start plays a lot on where you are ranked. They say where you finished last year doesn’t affect where you get ranked this year but it does. It’s old boys club and looks to stay that way. It’s killing college football.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - PicksUp - 09-08-2019 03:38 PM

I haven’t paid attention to rankings for many years. They are stupid.

The only ones that truly matter are playoff rankings!

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - Fighting Muskie - 09-08-2019 04:27 PM

Hawaii is getting shafted. Boise got some love for taking down an FSU team that need OT to beat ULM but no one seems to notice that the warriors took out two PAC 12 squads. I hope Washington becomes the next notch in their belts and then the voters will have to take notice.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - msm96wolf - 09-08-2019 04:35 PM

(09-08-2019 04:27 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Hawaii is getting shafted. Boise got some love for taking down an FSU team that need OT to beat ULM but no one seems to notice that the warriors took out two PAC 12 squads. I hope Washington becomes the next notch in their belts and then the voters will have to take notice.

Polls no longer have any meaning other than to give rankings before the CFP poll. Other than promoting games against ranked teams before the CFP poll, it is no longer the prestige it used to be. Much like bowl games have become.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - Gamecock - 09-08-2019 05:31 PM

By the end of the season they’re usually correct.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - JRsec - 09-08-2019 05:48 PM

(09-08-2019 04:35 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 04:27 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Hawaii is getting shafted. Boise got some love for taking down an FSU team that need OT to beat ULM but no one seems to notice that the warriors took out two PAC 12 squads. I hope Washington becomes the next notch in their belts and then the voters will have to take notice.

Polls no longer have any meaning other than to give rankings before the CFP poll. Other than promoting games against ranked teams before the CFP poll, it is no longer the prestige it used to be. Much like bowl games have become.

They are truly just a tool for marketing televised games. That's why the usual faces will be in every season's opening polls and why the Big 10 and SEC get so many ranked. Those are the two most widely viewed conferences. So rank at least 6 each of those, toss in N.D., UT, and OU, and take 2 from the PAC and 2 from the ACC and one G5 to play David to Goliath and you have all the tools you need to hype whomever you wish to televise.

The reason the polls are more in line with reality at the end of the season is because the SEC and Big 10 have gradually weeded out their also rans, UT and OU have played. The best from the ACC (think FSU and Clemson historically) have played their SEC rivals and the victors advance. The PAC usually winnows down to one school to be considered and if N.D. wins great. If not they are out. Now you have 2 from the SEC and perhaps 2 from the Big 10, 1 from the Big 12, 1 from the PAC, one from the ACC, and 1 or 2 acceptable at large schools to be truly considered for the CFP.

That virtually guarantees that 3 of the 4 major regions of the U.S. will be represented and the top G5 drives the talking points that stirs up interest in their champion and the fans who love an underdog.

But in the end the media darlings will be there and Cinderella only makes it in if the P5 really only have 3 solid candidates between them.

That's why you have polls. They are absurd, but they are absurd in ways that draw interest.

For instance would anyone really care much about Auburn playing Oregon if they weren't hyped as 2 highly rated teams with PAC and SEC pride on the line meeting in a city of oh by the way, 11 million within it's reach? That's why that game wasn't at Eugene or Auburn. It was East meets West in the heart of the Southwest. All of it contrived for viewer participation.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - THUNDERStruck73 - 09-08-2019 06:09 PM

(09-08-2019 02:56 PM)otown Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 02:54 PM)zoocrew Wrote:  Also Boise is somehow ranked despite their best win being Marshall. Makes no sense I agree.

And barely beating Marshal. They snuck into the polls way too early just because they beat a name brand that people thought was great.

Excuse me, but I think you’ll find that out team is legit. Especially our defense. We were minus our #1 receiver, starting MLB and starting wide boundary cb. A loss is a loss, but we aren’t a bad team this year.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - otown - 09-08-2019 07:21 PM

(09-08-2019 06:09 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 02:56 PM)otown Wrote:  

Excuse me, but I think you’ll find that out team is legit. Especially our defense. We were minus our #1 receiver, starting MLB and starting wide boundary cb. A loss is a loss, but we aren’t a bad team this year.

I don't know, your conference has been blowing chunks as of late. If you are the team you say you are, I expect you to run through the CUSA with ease.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - ken d - 09-08-2019 07:50 PM

One thing that can not be disputed is this. Every poll is wrong. Every time.

Each week during the season, polls come out. The next week, those polls ask us to believe that, although they were wrong last week, this week they've got it right. And then, for each succeeding week during the season, the polls say the same thing: We got it wrong last week, but this week we have it right. Trust us.

The only thing different about the last poll every year is that there isn't a next week to demonstrate that it's wrong.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - esayem - 09-08-2019 08:12 PM

(09-08-2019 02:54 PM)otown Wrote:  Change the thread title to the stupidly of preseason polls....... this is why we are where we are

Absolutely. Polls shouldn't come out until after week 3 or 4.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - quo vadis - 09-08-2019 08:34 PM

(09-08-2019 07:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  One thing that can not be disputed is this. Every poll is wrong. Every time.

Each week during the season, polls come out. The next week, those polls ask us to believe that, although they were wrong last week, this week they've got it right. And then, for each succeeding week during the season, the polls say the same thing: We got it wrong last week, but this week we have it right. Trust us.

The only thing different about the last poll every year is that there isn't a next week to demonstrate that it's wrong.

That would be true if a poll purported to predict the results of future games. But they don't.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - bullet - 09-08-2019 09:17 PM

(09-08-2019 08:12 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 02:54 PM)otown Wrote:  Change the thread title to the stupidly of preseason polls....... this is why we are where we are

Absolutely. Polls shouldn't come out until after week 3 or 4.

Polls don't mean anything. Other than the CFP poll. That one still comes out a couple weeks too early.

RE: The stupidity of the AP poll - ken d - 09-09-2019 07:22 AM

(09-08-2019 08:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 07:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  One thing that can not be disputed is this. Every poll is wrong. Every time.

That would be true if a poll purported to predict the results of future games. But they don't.

No poll, or computer rating, purports to predict future results. All a poll can ever measure is how good the poll voters are at guessing, with imperfect information, which teams are better than others. And they demonstrate every year that they aren't great guessers. If they were, we would only need one poll each year.

But, as JR points out, their real purpose is to drive viewer interest and promote entertainment events. For that they don't do such a bad job. Even when they are wrong, even egregiously so, they get a reaction from fans. And they prove the adage that no publicity is bad publicity. The worst thing that could happen to any sport is when fans stop talking about it.