CSNbbs
Smaug's $0.02 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Smaug's $0.02 (/thread-881771.html)

Smaug's $0.02 - Smaug - 08-31-2019 10:51 AM

Apologies for the delay. Fridays are pretty busy for me, so I'm just now sitting down to my laptop. Like most of you, I live on my phone, but I'm enough of a geezer that I don't want to pound this whole thing out with my thumbs.

Anywho, on to the observations.

It was a great day to be a Blazer. I'm admittedly a bit of a lightweight, but that Dragon's Milk is an ass-kicker. Beautiful day, great tailgating, fun atmosphere, and we won.

Let me type that last part a second time. We won.

Was it what we were expecting? No. Disappointing? Yes.

But that goes directly to the heart of the mantra that Bill Clark has been preaching since he landed on the south side. Raising expectations. Have you seen such bitching after a win? We're going to be okay. What makes me think we'll be okay?

A couple of things. One, this is a talented team. What it's not is an experienced team. And there's only one way to get that. Two, I saw an unnamed football player tweet, "If I can't sleep after a win, I know we have work to do."

That tells me their minds are right. Satisfied with that performance? Of course you're not. I'm not, and you can bet your ass the coaches and team aren't, either.

This was a learning game. A lot of these guys were in a real game lined up next to these other guys for the first time in their lives. It takes time and experience to mesh (and nowhere more so than the offensive line). We looked a smidge off so many times on offense Thursday night. This isn't surprising. Offense depends on timing in ways defense doesn't.

This was a game a lot of teams lose, and one we almost certainly would have in the past, but we didn't. Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning gets to be a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." When a good team gets down, they keep grinding, because experience has taught them that if they do, they'll be okay. When bad teams get down, you get the eye roll and "here we go again" shoulder slump, because that is what experience has taught them.

We as Blazer fans know both these positions. I like the new one better.

Okay, so where was I?

Observations. Right.

1.Myron Mitchell. Junior. Jasper, Alabama. Comparisons to JJ Nelson are premature and unfair, but damn, this guy's got a set of wheels. I know State is not the best team we'll play, but they simply could not run with him. When this offense gets its feet under it, he's going to be a weapon. That kickoff return was electric.

2. Nick Vogel. Senior. Jacksonville, Florida. All his PATs, a 46 yard field goal (Not a given. His record outside 40 yards has been spotty to date) and 5 more touchbacks. Making them go the long way is about as big a defensive weapon as any. Speaking of...

3. Garrett Marino. Senior. Mission Viejo, California. Yeah, the unsportsmanlike call when he jawed at the QB on the ground was not cool, but we've always known the dude was a brawler. Check this out, though. I opened up the box score and see he had a STUNNING 9 solo tackles from the DT spot. That is not a typo (at least, not mine) but holy Fess, NINE?

The Good

I think as the game ground on, the defense got better and better. They grew up a little bit right in front of us. That goal line stand was a great moment and likely saved the game. We held them to under 300 yards of total offense and 3 of 15 on third down. This is game winning football.

The Bad

Ugh. It was a real scuffle on offense. We were also under 300 yards and were 1 of 13 on third down. It was not without bright spots, however. That touchdown pass to Kendall Parham may be the best pass TJ3 has ever thrown. A dart into a tiny window. We did put together a nine play drive for a touchdown. Markus Grossman had one catch for 6 yards. Arguably the biggest play of the game. It's the only third down we converted, but it was a timely one, because...

The Ugly

I do not remember a football game where we were cursed with such rotten field position in the 4th quarter. We started three possessions. One at our 3 yard line, one at our 4 yard line and one at our 36 after Will Boler's game-icing interception.

Okay, one more ugly thing. State's conditioning program. I've never seen so many cramps in one game. I don't know what we paid them for this game, but I hope they spend some of it on pickle juice.

So, what does this mean, Barbara?

It means we've got work to do. I don't think anyone is surprised by this, though. The month of September will be a very interesting one. We WILL mesh. I believe that. The question then becomes how quickly will we mesh?

If Coach is the coach I think he is, the Zips better buckle up.

That's all I got. For now. I think.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - CyberBlazer - 08-31-2019 12:45 PM

Thank You Smaug.

The Fat Lady don't sing until after Smaug's $0.02 worth. Grant you, GN did a great job and Kevin's discourses are something elegant and to behold but Smaug's $0.02 is "always" Louvre worthy

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - blazerwkr - 08-31-2019 01:44 PM

Got to hand it to ASU, they came to play & get a win, not just a paycheck but we do what good teams do when things aren't going as planned, find a way to put effort in to win. Not sure about Akron game but USA is giving Neb all it can handle.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - Dracorex - 08-31-2019 02:40 PM

Our offense was vanilla. Like Power run game and go routes only vanilla. Not really worried about it too much. Coaches held back on the playbook and we didn't move the ball as much as we will the rest of the season.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - BandGrad - 08-31-2019 03:51 PM

It was great running into Thursday night!!! I always enjoy reading the $.02!!![/u]

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 08-31-2019 03:54 PM

As the saying goes, "you practice until you get it right and then you practice until you can't get it wrong". Since there are no "exhibition games" (like the NFL) and there are NCAA limitations on practice time, these early games play that role for most teams. Looking around the nation, there were several examples of "cupcake revenge" so a win is still the gold standard.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - josephblazer2770 - 08-31-2019 04:09 PM

Well Said, and thank you, but the Blazers were to come out Vanilia know matter what, with a win or loss and they won, would expect coach to open it up a little bit next week, It should be Vanilia again next week, Coach will not open it up until the Conference. But will play to a win. Its hard to do.

Going to have to be a big week in practice.

Akron will knot have the speed as Alabama St. but they will be bigger more solid and better coached and will knot make flags. Over and out.

Next time you tell me that I don't know what I'm Saying - Check the BC. Vtech game.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - HiddenDragon - 08-31-2019 05:52 PM

(08-31-2019 10:51 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Okay, one more ugly thing. State's conditioning program. I've never seen so many cramps in one game. I don't know what we paid them for this game, but I hope they spend some of it on pickle juice.

UAB paid the Hornets $300,000 for a good game and a bunch of cramps.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 08-31-2019 06:24 PM

(08-31-2019 05:52 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(08-31-2019 10:51 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Okay, one more ugly thing. State's conditioning program. I've never seen so many cramps in one game. I don't know what we paid them for this game, but I hope they spend some of it on pickle juice.

Keep in mind that nearly all (or perhaps ALL) athletic programs - even at state schools - are financed through charitable contributions, not taxes. UAB is not an exception in this regard. The HBCUs have even more of a challenge since so many of their alumna usually do not get the best paying jobs. The recent publicity about the terrible athletic facilities at Grambling are probably common to many of those schools. This has to impact their conditioning facilities just as at UAB over the last 30 years. UAB can only afford to pay out a small amount compared to P5 programs who often pay out 7 figure amounts to selected schools.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - the_blazerman - 08-31-2019 06:31 PM

You can always run - wherever you are.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - KevMo4UAB - 08-31-2019 09:17 PM

That comes out to about $10,000 per cramp.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - UAB Band Dad - 09-01-2019 03:16 PM

Funny how often those guys had cramps that made them fall over on third downs.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - Steel Dragon - 09-01-2019 04:12 PM

Another advantage was playing on Thursday night. This gives UAB extra practice time on a travel game. This is a great schedule for a team needing experience. I’m looking to have an expectation season. From The Return to The Repeat

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - HiddenDragon - 09-01-2019 09:29 PM

(09-01-2019 03:16 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Funny how often those guys had cramps that made them fall over on third downs.

And it wasn't that hot. Game time temperature was 79 and comfortable. Not much humidity at all.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - blazers9911 - 09-01-2019 10:39 PM

(08-31-2019 06:24 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

Keep in mind that nearly all (or perhaps ALL) athletic programs - even at state schools - are financed through charitable contributions, not taxes. UAB is not an exception in this regard. The HBCUs have even more of a challenge since so many of their alumna usually do not get the best paying jobs. The recent publicity about the terrible athletic facilities at Grambling are probably common to many of those schools. This has to impact their conditioning facilities just as at UAB over the last 30 years. UAB can only afford to pay out a small amount compared to P5 programs who often pay out 7 figure amounts to selected schools.

Clemson is paying wofford $360,000 this year. I’d say we aren’t doing to bad in terms of payments to FCS schools, but hey, whatever fits your agenda and sounds good works too.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - BlazerFromMD - 09-02-2019 08:26 AM

(09-01-2019 10:39 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Clemson is paying wofford $360,000 this year. I’d say we aren’t doing to bad in terms of payments to FCS schools, but hey, whatever fits your agenda and sounds good works too.

05-nono But we didn't pay them enough to afford Gatorade. 04-chairshot 03-hissyfit

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - BlazrDawg - 09-02-2019 11:31 AM

(09-02-2019 08:26 AM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 10:39 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

05-nono But we didn't pay them enough to afford Gatorade. 04-chairshot 03-hissyfit

Despite all their injuries, cramps, etc.. Those guys almost whipped us! Our game performance was nothing to COGS about IMHO.

RE: Smaug's $0.02 - Marathon Blazer - 09-04-2019 10:12 AM

Well said, Smaug. I know Coach will have them ready for Saturday. Hopefully, their score will be close to their mascot: zip.

Oh, and Vogel is a Redshirt Junior. Vogel and Senior Lee Defour are the only two players remaining from the 2014 team. I think I’m going to start calling our kicker Dr. Vogel next year.