CSNbbs
Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+----- Forum: P5 Discussion (/forum-997.html)
+----- Thread: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 (/thread-881488.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Transic_nyc - 08-27-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:The game is tentatively scheduled to be played on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2020, but the date of the game could be changed to accommodate a TV broadcast. The past five games between Arkansas and Missouri have been moved to Black Friday and this year's game will also be played on the day after Thanksgiving.

The move to the 74,416-seat Arrowhead Stadium, home of the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, comes a little more than a year after Arkansas announced it would play its next three home games against Missouri at Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium. On-campus attendance has been poor most years for the Arkansas-Missouri game, which began in 2014.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019/aug/27/arkansas-missouri-game-will-move-arrowhead-stadium/

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Wedge - 08-27-2019 08:32 PM

Arkansas is going to have two of these every year. Neither Texas A&M nor Missouri will be playing in Fayetteville for at least several more years.

This isn't like Oklahoma-Texas or Florida-Georgia, where the game has been played at a neutral site since before most of us were born. These moves are very recent and they're taking what (I assume) is an attractive home game out of each school's season ticket package.

Wonder how season ticket holders feel about moving conference games to a neutral site. Are they ticked off that these games aren't in their season ticket package, or are they happy that their season ticket cost is reduced due to having fewer home games?

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - AllTideUp - 08-28-2019 05:17 AM

(08-27-2019 08:32 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Arkansas is going to have two of these every year. Neither Texas A&M nor Missouri will be playing in Fayetteville for at least several more years.

This isn't like Oklahoma-Texas or Florida-Georgia, where the game has been played at a neutral site since before most of us were born. These moves are very recent and they're taking what (I assume) is an attractive home game out of each school's season ticket package.

Wonder how season ticket holders feel about moving conference games to a neutral site. Are they ticked off that these games aren't in their season ticket package, or are they happy that their season ticket cost is reduced due to having fewer home games?

I can't really speak for another fan base, but I've read here and there that a large chunk of Arkansas fans like to have a game in Little Rock. For one, Fayetteville is not easy to get to for many of their fans.

I'm assuming something similar might be true for Mizzou. Kansas City might be a more attractive location than Columbia although I would assume Columbia is a good midpoint for fans from St. Louis, but I'm not sure.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 08-28-2019 08:46 AM

Mizzou's announced attendance last time in Arrowhead was 42k in 2015 -- a full 16k lower than the lowest attendance in Columbia that season.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Kaplony - 08-28-2019 02:32 PM

(08-27-2019 08:32 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Arkansas is going to have two of these every year. Neither Texas A&M nor Missouri will be playing in Fayetteville for at least several more years.

That was covered in the article in the OP

Quote:On-campus attendance has been poor most years for the Arkansas-Missouri game, which began in 2014.

My guess is that by moving the game to a larger population center they are hoping it's going to be a bigger draw.

My reasoning as to why it's not going to matter is the fact that it's a manufactured "rivalry" being played on a weekend where the college football world is saturated with actual rivalry games being played. They've played ten times total with the first four matchups being played in 1906, 1944, 1963, and 2003. There's simply no history there. It's just another game.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Love and Honor - 08-28-2019 06:22 PM

IIRC this game always happens on Black Friday, having it in Kansas City might be easier to get people to attend.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - whittx - 08-29-2019 04:17 AM

(08-28-2019 08:46 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Mizzou's announced attendance last time in Arrowhead was 42k in 2015 -- a full 16k lower than the lowest attendance in Columbia that season.

But that was for Kansas. A SEC conference game is another animal.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - whittx - 08-29-2019 04:17 AM

(08-28-2019 08:46 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Mizzou's announced attendance last time in Arrowhead was 42k in 2015 -- a full 16k lower than the lowest attendance in Columbia that season.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - The Cutter of Bish - 08-29-2019 11:36 AM

(08-27-2019 08:32 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Wonder how season ticket holders feel about moving conference games to a neutral site. Are they ticked off that these games aren't in their season ticket package, or are they happy that their season ticket cost is reduced due to having fewer home games?

That's a good question. I think back to Penn State and Indiana playing in Landover, MD. It's never been a rivalry, and you can't get people excited about it on either side, but a location change to a major metropolitan area could sweeten the deal for the ardent fans who may never have cared enough to come out to see it. And that game was done because it was known both schools had alumni bases in MD (and some feel it was a fishing expedition to catch UMD's attention).

But Missouri and Arkansas is a weird one. They share a border, but you can't make the two sides care because of it. They simply didn't have much cause between them until the SEC brought them together. But, I could see either side's diehard fans getting a little annoyed at it after awhile. It could be that the game shouldn't sit in that spot on the calendar, or the greater conversation of the value of college football over than weekend in general, when most people/students don't want to be anywhere near a school when they don't have to be.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Wedge - 08-29-2019 02:26 PM

IMO it's not a question of whether that game is a real rivalry. It's an SEC conference game and more attractive than many of their other home games.

Look at Missouri's 2020 home schedule (including the Arkansas game):

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

If we asked Missouri season ticket holders, "Which of these 7 games would you like us to remove from the season ticket package so that you don't have to pay for it?" -- almost none of them would choose the Arkansas game as the one to take out of the season ticket package.

Mizzou is shafting their own season ticket holders by taking what is at worst the third-most attractive game out of the season ticket package, while leaving all of the clunkers in there.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - AllTideUp - 08-29-2019 08:36 PM

(08-29-2019 04:17 AM)whittx Wrote:  

Actually, that was BYU, but your point stands. A conference game should perform better.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - AllTideUp - 08-29-2019 08:43 PM

(08-29-2019 02:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  IMO it's not a question of whether that game is a real rivalry. It's an SEC conference game and more attractive than many of their other home games.

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

If we asked Missouri season ticket holders, "Which of these 7 games would you like us to remove from the season ticket package so that you don't have to pay for it?" -- almost none of them would choose the Arkansas game as the one to take out of the season ticket package.

Mizzou is shafting their own season ticket holders by taking what is at worst the third-most attractive game out of the season ticket package, while leaving all of the clunkers in there.

It's still a Mizzou home game though, right? They're just changing the location.

It's still on the season ticket slate, but it will be in KC instead. Actually, I think Arrowhead is about the same size as Mizzou's home stadium anyway so I don't see this affecting season ticket sales.

I'd bet you part of the reason they're doing this is as a message to Kansas. The Border War was played there for a while and if Mizzou can produce a similar crowed in KU's backyard then it put pressure on KU to resume the game.

I do agree though with whoever said Mizzou and Arkansas shouldn't be playing the final week. It should be Mizzou/Kansas, Arkansas/LSU, and Texas/Texas A&M.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Wedge - 08-30-2019 01:40 AM

(08-29-2019 08:43 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(08-29-2019 02:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  IMO it's not a question of whether that game is a real rivalry. It's an SEC conference game and more attractive than many of their other home games.

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

It's still a Mizzou home game though, right? They're just changing the location.

It's still on the season ticket slate, but it will be in KC instead. Actually, I think Arrowhead is about the same size as Mizzou's home stadium anyway so I don't see this affecting season ticket sales.

I'd bet you part of the reason they're doing this is as a message to Kansas. The Border War was played there for a while and if Mizzou can produce a similar crowed in KU's backyard then it put pressure on KU to resume the game.

I do agree though with whoever said Mizzou and Arkansas shouldn't be playing the final week. It should be Mizzou/Kansas, Arkansas/LSU, and Texas/Texas A&M.

If season ticket holders are forced to pay for the game in KC (as opposed to having the option to buy tickets for that game), then season ticket holders who live east of Columbia are not going to like that.

Does Mizzou really care if KU plays them in football? I thought that Mizzou just wanted to resume the basketball series.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - AllTideUp - 08-30-2019 04:09 AM

(08-30-2019 01:40 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

If season ticket holders are forced to pay for the game in KC (as opposed to having the option to buy tickets for that game), then season ticket holders who live east of Columbia are not going to like that.

Does Mizzou really care if KU plays them in football? I thought that Mizzou just wanted to resume the basketball series.

I would think Mizzou would rather have that game back, but I can't speak for them. I think KU is essentially responsible for cutting the game off when it had turned into a nice event for both fan bases to look forward to. That and for the purpose of selling tickets, having KU on the schedule every year would boost the numbers. Rivalry games tend to sell better than others and it wouldn't affect their conference slate.

I can understand fans from St. Louis not wanting to travel all the way to KC for a home game. Although, if you're anywhere else in the country then flying into KC is probably easier than making a trip to Columbia.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - DawgNBama - 08-31-2019 05:44 AM

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

Something I have learned in retail (19 years experience) is that change is constant. There are some things that don't change, but the vast majority of what store does/carries changes constantly. TAMU (Texas A&M) and Texas are going through a period similar to what Georgia and Georgia Tech went through for awhile as well as Alabama and Auburn- the two are refusing to play each other in most visible sport at both institutions-i.e. football. I don't know how long this will last or what it will take to end it. But from what our resident Aggie (10th Mountain, not to pick on you, because I am not picking on you) has stated to us, the rivalry (TAMU-Texas) isn't coming back any time soon, and Texas A&M-LSU is here to stay on the final week. Mizzou/Kansas might come back before TAMU-Texas, and TAMU-Texas might not be played on Thanksgiving anymore when it does eventually come back. Therefore, Arkansas could find itself in a pickle, to use layman's terminology. So, you start looking at alternatives. What if Arkansas played LSU its final week before LSU played its final week? The problem with that is that it's difficult to have games of that difficulty back to back. Auburn has done that before, and got tired of it very quickly!!! (Georgia and 'Bama used to be back to back). A more likely solution might be Arkansas playing Mississippi State on Arkansas final week before Mississippi State plays Ole Miss on Mississippi State's final week. This has been done before, and Arkansas/Mississippi State is a good, underrated rivalry, IMO. Arkansas would also have to play in week 0 every single year to pull this off though. Another alternative solution is to continue having Arkansas and Missouri play on the final week and if Kansas comes back, have Arkansas play Mizzou the week before Mizzou plays Kansas.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Nerdlinger - 08-31-2019 09:30 AM

Here's a thought! If Kansas/Missouri resumes and is scheduled for the last week of the regular season, Arkansas could play Arkansas State that week instead. Although they've never actually played in football for whatever reason...

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Wedge - 08-31-2019 11:51 AM

(08-31-2019 05:44 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

Something I have learned in retail (19 years experience) is that change is constant. There are some things that don't change, but the vast majority of what store does/carries changes constantly. TAMU (Texas A&M) and Texas are going through a period similar to what Georgia and Georgia Tech went through for awhile as well as Alabama and Auburn- the two are refusing to play each other in most visible sport at both institutions-i.e. football. I don't know how long this will last or what it will take to end it. But from what our resident Aggie (10th Mountain, not to pick on you, because I am not picking on you) has stated to us, the rivalry (TAMU-Texas) isn't coming back any time soon, and Texas A&M-LSU is here to stay on the final week. Mizzou/Kansas might come back before TAMU-Texas, and TAMU-Texas might not be played on Thanksgiving anymore when it does eventually come back. Therefore, Arkansas could find itself in a pickle, to use layman's terminology. So, you start looking at alternatives. What if Arkansas played LSU its final week before LSU played its final week? The problem with that is that it's difficult to have games of that difficulty back to back. Auburn has done that before, and got tired of it very quickly!!! (Georgia and 'Bama used to be back to back). A more likely solution might be Arkansas playing Mississippi State on Arkansas final week before Mississippi State plays Ole Miss on Mississippi State's final week. This has been done before, and Arkansas/Mississippi State is a good, underrated rivalry, IMO. Arkansas would also have to play in week 0 every single year to pull this off though. Another alternative solution is to continue having Arkansas and Missouri play on the final week and if Kansas comes back, have Arkansas play Mizzou the week before Mizzou plays Kansas.

After the Holy War game last night, Kyle Whittingham said that he doesn't like playing BYU the first week of the season and doesn't think they should play the last week, either.

So, how about a non-conference rivalry week in mid-September? Make it week 3. Each team gets two games under its belt beforehand, and then there are more interesting games for fans on the schedule that week.

I am not suggesting moving games like Notre Dame-USC, or Florida-FSU, or Georgia-GT. This would be for non-con games that don't already have a set place on the schedule. In addition to Utah-BYU, that could include UT-A&M, if they ever play again, or Oklahoma-Nebraska, or Pitt-WVU, etc.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Hokie Mark - 09-01-2019 08:10 AM

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

It's time for 2nd-tier P5 teams like Mizzou to stop pretending they can schedule whoever they want and fans will just show up. That home schedule is awful (and hey, I'm a VT fan, so I know what an awful home schedule looks like!). They NEED to play Kansas OOC to juice it up a bit - especially while the Mad Hatter is coaching there. Illinois wouldn't be bad, either.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - Wedge - 09-01-2019 12:43 PM

(09-01-2019 08:10 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Central Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Eastern Michigan
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
Arkansas

It's time for 2nd-tier P5 teams like Mizzou to stop pretending they can schedule whoever they want and fans will just show up. That home schedule is awful (and hey, I'm a VT fan, so I know what an awful home schedule looks like!). They NEED to play Kansas OOC to juice it up a bit - especially while the Mad Hatter is coaching there. Illinois wouldn't be bad, either.

They're not scheduling to fill the stadium, they're scheduling to try to get non-con wins so that they can go 2-6 or 3-5 in SEC games and still go to a bowl. (That might not work out for Mizzou this year, because they lost at Wyoming in week 1 and play WVU in week 2.)

Look at their future non-con schedules. In every year they're either scheduling no P5 opponents or one against whom Missouri would have at least a chance to be competitive.

If they only play one P5 non-con opponent a year, that means that every other year they don't have one on the home schedule. Which means, IMO, they're shortchanging their season ticket holders (i.e., their best customers) by moving a conference game to a neutral site two hours away.

Mizzou isn't the only team that seems to not put enough thought into having attractive home schedules. That could be the topic of another thread, really.

RE: Arkansas-Missouri game will move to Arrowhead Stadium in 2020 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 09-02-2019 01:17 PM

Mizzou should be playing Kansas and Illinois every year. On campus. This gives the season ticket buyers 4 SEC games, 1 OOC rival, and 2 buy games each year.

Building Mizzou’s schedule should be one of the easiest tasks in the country. It’s very straightforward who makes sense to play.

Mizzou needs a new AD.