CSNbbs
Mass shootings/gun control - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Mass shootings/gun control (/thread-880198.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 10:51 AM

(09-04-2019 10:27 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 09:59 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I must admit, the unleaded gas thing puzzled me.

Quote:
Quote:The saying is true. We need to restrict everything. Nobody can have anything that could be misused without permission from Big Brother.

Read this and tell me what is wrong with it.

Blank county has more guns per capita than Other County. Other County has more shootings, more deaths, more woundings per capita. This means:

Choices:
A. we need a study. I cannot make heads or tails of this without some other dude telling me what to think.
B. People in in Blank county are not as violent as people in Other County. We need to outlaw guns in Other County, like they do in Chicago.
It's so silly to take this debate to such extremes, and it's why there can't be a good faith debate about gun control.

A purpose of the government is to protect its citizens, even if that means it is protecting them from each other. So the government identifies objects/substances that it believes don't serve the public good and should be controlled/regulated/banned. The simple fact that the government does that with some items, does not mean it should, or will, do that will all items.

I mean, are you really mad that leaded gasoline was banned?

Also, I love that you frame scientific research as someone telling you what to think. How do you think knowledge is passed???

See bolded comment, where you railed against regulations in general while debating gun control legislation. Based on your grumbling about Big Brother restricting everything, I assumed you were mad about things like leaded gasoline being banned, since Big Brother did that.

Consdering the alternative stance (yours, that is) is the promotion of regulations and defense in depth of such regulations where the effect is stupendously out of touch with real world import, then perhaps OO has a point.

I mean you were going out of your way in defense in depth of requiring heirs to pass a background check, you would think that there are 2 million heirs with evil fleebergeeber guns and responsible for about 10 million deaths.

Perhaps the comment is in response to your rapid and impassioned defense of government regulation where there is literally no underlying basis in reality for it.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - OptimisticOwl - 09-04-2019 10:58 AM

(09-04-2019 10:51 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  fleebergeeber guns

Love me some fleegergeeber guns

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-04-2019 10:59 AM

(09-04-2019 10:23 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 10:19 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  It's so silly to take this debate to such extremes, and it's why there can't be a good faith debate about gun control.
Primarily because a truly good faith argument would have to address issues like whether there is a better way to reduce gun violence than "gun controls" and your side seems totally unwilling to go there.
Your idea of a good faith debate about gun control starts with the assumption that we have to let the government control guns, which is exactly the proposition that the drafters of the 2nd Amendment rejected, and that therefore the field of "good faith" debate is limited to how draconian to make those controls.
Completely disagree that "my side" is unwilling to address whether there are better ways to address gun violence.

So, who on your side has proposed even one way, other than some form of gun regulation, to address the issue? Name one, and give a link.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - RiceLad15 - 09-04-2019 11:25 AM

(09-04-2019 10:51 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 09:59 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I must admit, the unleaded gas thing puzzled me.

Quote:
Quote:The saying is true. We need to restrict everything. Nobody can have anything that could be misused without permission from Big Brother.

Blank county has more guns per capita than Other County. Other County has more shootings, more deaths, more woundings per capita. This means:

Choices:
A. we need a study. I cannot make heads or tails of this without some other dude telling me what to think.
B. People in in Blank county are not as violent as people in Other County. We need to outlaw guns in Other County, like they do in Chicago.
It's so silly to take this debate to such extremes, and it's why there can't be a good faith debate about gun control.

A purpose of the government is to protect its citizens, even if that means it is protecting them from each other. So the government identifies objects/substances that it believes don't serve the public good and should be controlled/regulated/banned. The simple fact that the government does that with some items, does not mean it should, or will, do that will all items.

Also, I love that you frame scientific research as someone telling you what to think. How do you think knowledge is passed???

See bolded comment, where you railed against regulations in general while debating gun control legislation. Based on your grumbling about Big Brother restricting everything, I assumed you were mad about things like leaded gasoline being banned, since Big Brother did that.

Consdering the alternative stance (yours, that is) is the promotion of regulations and defense in depth of such regulations where the effect is stupendously out of touch with real world import, then perhaps OO has a point.

I mean you were going out of your way in defense in depth of requiring heirs to pass a background check, you would think that there are 2 million heirs with evil fleebergeeber guns and responsible for about 10 million deaths.

Perhaps the comment is in response to your rapid and impassioned defense of government regulation where there is literally no underlying basis in reality for it.

I've gone out of my way to defend, in-depth mind you, that heirs need to pass background checks?

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - RiceLad15 - 09-04-2019 11:28 AM

(09-04-2019 10:30 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 08:30 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 07:37 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 06:40 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 04:35 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Or perhaps, can you show us evidence that democrats actually care about methods to preserve the individual right (apparently 'specious' to some) embodied in the 2nd Amendment?

Ah, the Three Musketeers with the classic deflection!

And it was abundantly clear that I was not calling the 2nd A specious. Another classic move by y’all.

You did the other thing -- called any way to ascertain the words expressly within it as 'specious'.

What other verbiage in the Constitution do you consider 'specious' to ascertain, given that is the lad reason de jure for ignoring certain provisions you dont like?

Reread that post again, please. I made it very clear I was talking about a single argument you’ve repeatedly made, which we have actually discussed previously.

Lad, perhaps you actually need to go home, read Heller, then come back and give us a book report on how the 'speciousness' of 'shall not infringe' comes into play. That is, as opposed to your interesting viewpoint on it.

That's the whole point! It's more complicated than "shall not infringe" because, as you say, you need to understand the legal theory behind the Heller decision.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - georgewebb - 09-04-2019 01:21 PM

(09-04-2019 09:43 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Maybe you are insulted that I did not give up any of my personal data, i. e., county of residence. A long time ago, on another message board, I let a dedicated liberal know something personal about me, in the interest of better communication between right and left. He used the info to dig into my personal life and then used the info to cause me trouble. His interference almost cost me everything. (I was a target of a $10,000,000 suit at the time.) I will not put myself out there again. One topic we have discussed here is how many liberals feel morally entitled to do anything against the right. Antifa to doxing(Debra Messing?) to chanting at restaurants. While I doubt you or Lad or 93 would act like that, I just, as a matter of principle, don't give out my identity to anybody these days. Left AND right, although especially left. No Tanq doesn't know my name. Nobody knows the names of my businesses or where I live or the names of my siblings, or anything that could be used to dig into my life. There are a few who might know, back from long ago., when the parliament was new and I was anxious to make friends. No new ones.

I don't blame you. My recent experience of seeing a fellow Rice alum/fan doctor a picture of my father's grave, while not personally harmful, was shocking, and makes me regret ever sharing anything about my parents. Sadly, the slime who did it was not the least bit repentant -- on the contrary, he felt that his leftiness entitled him to act like trash.

I too doubt that Fort Bend Owl or RiceLad or Rice93 would do something so trashy -- but I never would have thought that guy would either, or that having done so, he would so petulantly dig in his heels about it.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 03:28 PM

(09-04-2019 11:28 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 10:30 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 08:30 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 07:37 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 06:40 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Ah, the Three Musketeers with the classic deflection!

And it was abundantly clear that I was not calling the 2nd A specious. Another classic move by y’all.

You did the other thing -- called any way to ascertain the words expressly within it as 'specious'.

What other verbiage in the Constitution do you consider 'specious' to ascertain, given that is the lad reason de jure for ignoring certain provisions you dont like?

Reread that post again, please. I made it very clear I was talking about a single argument you’ve repeatedly made, which we have actually discussed previously.

Lad, perhaps you actually need to go home, read Heller, then come back and give us a book report on how the 'speciousness' of 'shall not infringe' comes into play. That is, as opposed to your interesting viewpoint on it.

That's the whole point! It's more complicated than "shall not infringe" because, as you say, you need to understand the legal theory behind the Heller decision.

Actually the point is startlingly easy if you take the effort, no matter the current cha cha cha step you want to make it 'complicated'. And it boils down to actually adhering to the 'shall not infringe' language that has your dander up. The issue is that *you* want to make a principle 'specious', when in fact it is not. The problem with it is you really dont have a fing clue, and are desperately acting as though you do.

But simply labeling a reasoning as specious simply because *you* dont understand it, nor seemingly wanting to understand is, funnily, just that --- specious. Kind of rich, aint it?

I'll take your comment as your refusal to do that first step. So I will save us all some time and put *your* final words here --- since lad deems it 'specious', well, it just must be. Sound good to you? At least this will save all of us a lot of fing time on your patented 'defend lad words to the fing end' spiel.

In closing:

Go home, read Heller, and come back to us with your book report. Sound like a plan? Or dont, and lets just keep your 'well its specious' myna bird montage as your last and best comment.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 03:30 PM

(09-04-2019 11:25 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 10:51 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Quote:

Choices:

I've gone out of my way to defend, in-depth mind you, that heirs need to pass background checks?

You've done so well with your spirited defense in depth of any and all other private transactions, why not that one? Or is that a distinction you think you shoudnt defend as much for some odd fing reason?

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 03:42 PM

(09-04-2019 10:59 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  It's so silly to take this debate to such extremes, and it's why there can't be a good faith debate about gun control.
Primarily because a truly good faith argument would have to address issues like whether there is a better way to reduce gun violence than "gun controls" and your side seems totally unwilling to go there.
Your idea of a good faith debate about gun control starts with the assumption that we have to let the government control guns, which is exactly the proposition that the drafters of the 2nd Amendment rejected, and that therefore the field of "good faith" debate is limited to how draconian to make those controls.
Completely disagree that "my side" is unwilling to address whether there are better ways to address gun violence.

So, who on your side has proposed even one way, other than some form of gun regulation, to address the issue? Name one, and give a link.

Thats a specious request. Lol. So specious no one has even attempted to answer. Funny that. I think the silence will be deafening on this one.....

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - Fort Bend Owl - 09-04-2019 03:57 PM

I've proposed several times that we do a better job of using social media (and in particular the darkweb) to try to thwart attacks before they occur. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find the link now but I read a story the other day that said we've made 48 recent arrest in the United States of people who said online that they were going to attack or shoot a particular target.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - OptimisticOwl - 09-04-2019 04:04 PM

(09-04-2019 03:57 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I've proposed several times that we do a better job of using social media (and in particular the darkweb) to try to thwart attacks before they occur. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find the link now but I read a story the other day that said we've made 48 recent arrest in the United States of people who said online that they were going to attack or shoot a particular target.

OK with me.

What crimes were the 48 charged with?

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 04:17 PM

I have zero problem with proactive policing *and* prosecution. In fact, I would *love* to see straw man sales charged more often. The laws are there, why not use them fully?

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 04:29 PM

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - RiceLad15 - 09-04-2019 07:42 PM

(09-04-2019 03:42 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Thats a specious request. Lol. So specious no one has even attempted to answer. Funny that. I think the silence will be deafening on this one.....

Historical perspective: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/apr/30/summary-manchin-toomey-gun-proposal/

And current (Warren has countless proposals that have nothing to do with brute-force gun control): https://medium.com/@teamwarren/protecting-our-communities-from-gun-violence-a2ebf7abd9be

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - Hambone10 - 09-04-2019 09:54 PM

(09-04-2019 03:57 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I've proposed several times that we do a better job of using social media (and in particular the darkweb) to try to thwart attacks before they occur. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find the link now but I read a story the other day that said we've made 48 recent arrest in the United States of people who said online that they were going to attack or shoot a particular target.

I don't think anyone has a problem with this.... though I agree, I'd like to know what they're charging people with. Menacing I suppose.

I could see it get out of hand if all someone has to do is claim you threatened them in person and you spend the night in jail with no proof other than their claim, but things that are written are harder to deny.

But I see this as going after people who are at least threatening to do wrong, as opposed to people who have done nothing at all

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-04-2019 09:59 PM

(09-04-2019 07:42 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Historical perspective: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/apr/30/summary-manchin-toomey-gun-proposal/
And current (Warren has countless proposals that have nothing to do with brute-force gun control): https://medium.com/@teamwarren/protecting-our-communities-from-gun-violence-a2ebf7abd9be

Not all gun control is brute-force, so the limitation you are imposing by using that adjective is self serving and irrelevant.

A lot of "sensible" gun controls are just legislation to increase the hassle factor for legal gun owners to the point that they give up their guns. This, of course, will do nothing to reduce gun violence, because those legal, responsible gun owners are not the problem.

It is my sincere belief that the left does not care about reducing gun violence. If they did, they would be making different proposals. I actually believe they hope it continues, thus giving them ammunition to argue for ever more stringent, indeed draconian--but useless--gun controls.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - Tomball Owl - 09-04-2019 10:26 PM

(09-03-2019 07:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  So as I mentioned a few posts back, the shooter over the weekend apparently bought his AR 15 in a private sale - likely because he knew he would fail a background check (my speculation on the latter but Governor Abbott did say he failed a background check).

Would any of you be in favor of banning private sales of AR 15 rifles? If one has an AR-15 they want to sell, they'd have to sell it to a gun vendor who could only re-sell it when the buyer would have to pass a background check?

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FBI-served-search-warrant-at-home-in-Lubbock-apparently-in-connection-with-Saturdays-multiple-shootings-559419811.html

I’m sure these two would have followed your proposed private sale background check.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - tanqtonic - 09-04-2019 11:26 PM

(09-04-2019 07:42 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 03:42 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 10:19 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Primarily because a truly good faith argument would have to address issues like whether there is a better way to reduce gun violence than "gun controls" and your side seems totally unwilling to go there.

Historical perspective: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/apr/30/summary-manchin-toomey-gun-proposal/

"brute force gun control" --- now that is the tap dance phrase of the month..... lolz.

Every one of those is 'regulation of guns' (i.e. measures specifically directed at impeding guns from being owned by US citizens). Every. Single. One.

I think it will be fun using your tap dance change of phrase back your way for a while. This could be quite enjoyable.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - RiceLad15 - 09-05-2019 06:39 AM

(09-04-2019 10:26 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 07:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  So as I mentioned a few posts back, the shooter over the weekend apparently bought his AR 15 in a private sale - likely because he knew he would fail a background check (my speculation on the latter but Governor Abbott did say he failed a background check).

Would any of you be in favor of banning private sales of AR 15 rifles? If one has an AR-15 they want to sell, they'd have to sell it to a gun vendor who could only re-sell it when the buyer would have to pass a background check?

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FBI-served-search-warrant-at-home-in-Lubbock-apparently-in-connection-with-Saturdays-multiple-shootings-559419811.html

I’m sure these two would have followed your proposed private sale background check.

So because people may break a new law, it shouldn’t be implemented?

That’s the logic you’re putting out there.

RE: Mass shootings/gun control - RiceLad15 - 09-05-2019 06:41 AM

(09-04-2019 09:59 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 07:42 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Historical perspective: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/apr/30/summary-manchin-toomey-gun-proposal/

Not all gun control is brute-force, so the limitation you are imposing by using that adjective is self serving and irrelevant.

A lot of "sensible" gun controls are just legislation to increase the hassle factor for legal gun owners to the point that they give up their guns. This, of course, will do nothing to reduce gun violence, because those legal, responsible gun owners are not the problem.

It is my sincere belief that the left does not care about reducing gun violence. If they did, they would be making different proposals. I actually believe they hope it continues, thus giving them ammunition to argue for ever more stringent, indeed draconian--but useless--gun controls.

Well, I provided you with a few direct sources of ways the left has either historically, or currently, wanted to try and combat gun violence that don’t directly involve the restriction of gun ownership.

Instead of admitting that you were wrong by saying that these proposals do not exist, you side stepped the topic and doubled down on your personal opinion about the political ideology.

Did you actually read through the multitude of proposals Warren outlined?