CSNbbs
could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? (/thread-879767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - DavidSt - 07-26-2019 09:38 AM

Cut Loose The Weakest Links

Good article to read. I think football standards would be schools not getting fan support. Since someone pointed out that football is king and basketball is not in this market. Basketball did not saved UConn on staying in the AAC. Could we expand with 2 new P5 conferences in the MWC and AAC while they drop their weakest schools and add castaways which could open up a WAC and SWC as two return conferences.

AAC cuts Tulsa, Tulane, Houston and SMU.
ACC cuts Louisville, Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh.
Big 10 cuts Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland.
Big 12 cuts West Virginia, Baylor and Kansas
C-USA cuts Charlotte, UAB, FIU, FAU.
MAC cuts Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and Ball State
MWC cuts UNLV, San Jose State and Utah State.
PAC 12 cuts Oregon State and Washington State
SEC cuts Vanderbilt and Kentucky
SBC cuts Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, and La.-Monroe along with Little Rock and UTA.

AAC as P7 adds Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Maryland, Boston College, West Virginia and Kentucky.
ACC could add Vanderbilt, UCF and ECU.
Big 10 adds Kansas.
Big 12 adds Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, BYU and New Mexico
C.-USA adds Arkansas State, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, S. Alabama and Stony Brook
MAC adds football only North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison U. and Delaware.
MWC P7 adds Oregon State, Washington State, Kansas, Baylor and UTEP.
PAC 12 stays at 10
SEC stays at 12
SBC adds FAU, Jacksonville State, and some others.

We could figure out where other schools would go. This is just an example of what could happen. The P5 schools I mentioned could still be in a power conference. Just need all the FBS conferences do musical chairs, and enforced the 15,000 attendance rule, and bring up FCS schools that can keep it in the 15,000 and above.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 07-26-2019 09:48 AM

Oh ****, we just got cut from the MAC!!

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - loki_the_bubba - 07-26-2019 09:53 AM

P7
03-lmfao

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - ken d - 07-26-2019 11:38 AM

The answer to the question is no.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Fighting Muskie - 07-26-2019 11:39 AM

David— I stopped reading at Houston being cut from the AAC. That’s one of their best programs

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - CliftonAve - 07-26-2019 11:43 AM

(07-26-2019 11:39 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  David— I stopped reading at Houston being cut from the AAC. That’s one of their best programs

I stopped reading when I saw who started the post. 03-lmfao

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Mestophalies - 07-26-2019 11:59 AM

(07-26-2019 11:43 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 11:39 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  David— I stopped reading at Houston being cut from the AAC. That’s one of their best programs

I stopped reading when I saw there weren't any Division III call ups. 05-stirthepot

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Kit-Cat - 07-26-2019 12:04 PM

There are some real issues with regard to national competitiveness with conferences right now.

I believe the solution will be to expand the CFP in both playoff and access slots to accommodate more schools instead of force realignment onto conferences.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Wedge - 07-26-2019 12:33 PM

(07-26-2019 11:59 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 11:43 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

I stopped reading when I saw there weren't any Division III call ups. 05-stirthepot

Yeah, it was disappointing to not see that in a DavidSt thread, in the same way it would be disappointing if you went to a Bon Jovi concert and they didn't play "Livin' On A Prayer". 07-coffee3

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - b0ndsj0ns - 07-26-2019 12:42 PM

There's a whole lot of nonsense in the entire post, but the answer to the question of could the P5 leagues eventually start downsizing is maybe. Maybe not so much kick schools out of leagues but just reorganize among the schools that actually provide value and move away from those who just happened to be associated with the right schools 50-75 years ago.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Kit-Cat - 07-26-2019 12:46 PM

(07-26-2019 12:42 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  There's a whole lot of nonsense in the entire post, but the answer to the question of could the P5 leagues eventually start downsizing is maybe. Maybe not so much kick schools out of leagues but just reorganize among the schools that actually provide value and move away from those who just happened to be associated with the right schools 50-75 years ago.

But I think the realignment of 2010-2015 was like WWII period. Following it a major shakeup is not going to happen like that because of mutually assured destruction (TV contracts instead of nukes).

There are too many system pressures to keep the 10 conference system in FBS intact from legislative to TV money at this point. Its far easier to expand the playoff to each competitive issues than move teams around.

At least this is my take on where we are at.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - UTEPDallas - 07-26-2019 01:28 PM

David,

You can cut weaker schools but have you thought a new group of schools would take their place?

The B1G can get rid of Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland but more than likely Indiana, Illinois and Purdue will take their place.

Doesn’t make any sense.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - TDenverFan - 07-26-2019 01:30 PM

The ACC cuts Duke? C'mon dude, even you can't think that's a good/realistic idea

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - NIU007 - 07-26-2019 02:06 PM

I stopped reading when he had NIU being dropped after being in the football conference championship game 7 of the last 9 years and winning 4 of them.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - DavidSt - 07-26-2019 02:41 PM

I moved them into the Big 12 to replaced Baylor.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - DavidSt - 07-26-2019 02:47 PM

(07-26-2019 02:06 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I stopped reading when he had NIU being dropped after being in the football conference championship game 7 of the last 9 years and winning 4 of them.

The past 5 years, Northern Illinois average just a little over 12,000 fans. That is not enough to pay the bills.

The article talks about the lack of fan support to fill stadiums. Plus you have scandals that hurt programs in a long run.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - DavidSt - 07-26-2019 02:51 PM

(07-26-2019 01:30 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  The ACC cuts Duke? C'mon dude, even you can't think that's a good/realistic idea

Duke gets way less than 30,000 fans for football, but ECU gets 40,000. Duke to the ACC makes them fit better there along with Wake since they are the 2 runts in the ACC who do not have fan support.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - zoocrew - 07-26-2019 03:11 PM

What the hell?

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - Rube Dali - 07-26-2019 03:21 PM

Block him, I've been sane ever since I did it.

RE: could All 5 P5 Conference Downsize Getting Rid Of Weaker Schools? - TodgeRodge - 07-26-2019 03:23 PM

(07-26-2019 09:38 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Cut Loose The Weakest Links

Good article to read. I think football standards would be schools not getting fan support. Since someone pointed out that football is king and basketball is not in this market. Basketball did not saved UConn on staying in the AAC. Could we expand with 2 new P5 conferences in the MWC and AAC while they drop their weakest schools and add castaways which could open up a WAC and SWC as two return conferences.

AAC cuts Tulsa, Tulane, Houston and SMU.
ACC cuts Louisville, Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh.
Big 10 cuts Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland.
Big 12 cuts West Virginia, Baylor and Kansas
C-USA cuts Charlotte, UAB, FIU, FAU.
MAC cuts Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and Ball State
MWC cuts UNLV, San Jose State and Utah State.
PAC 12 cuts Oregon State and Washington State
SEC cuts Vanderbilt and Kentucky
SBC cuts Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, and La.-Monroe along with Little Rock and UTA.

AAC as P7 adds Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Maryland, Boston College, West Virginia and Kentucky.
ACC could add Vanderbilt, UCF and ECU.
Big 10 adds Kansas.
Big 12 adds Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, BYU and New Mexico
C.-USA adds Arkansas State, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, S. Alabama and Stony Brook
MAC adds football only North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison U. and Delaware.
MWC P7 adds Oregon State, Washington State, Kansas, Baylor and UTEP.
PAC 12 stays at 10
SEC stays at 12
SBC adds FAU, Jacksonville State, and some others.

We could figure out where other schools would go. This is just an example of what could happen. The P5 schools I mentioned could still be in a power conference. Just need all the FBS conferences do musical chairs, and enforced the 15,000 attendance rule, and bring up FCS schools that can keep it in the 15,000 and above.

01-wingedeagle