CSNbbs
FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: the Grindhouse (/forum-722.html)
+------- Thread: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz (/thread-878520.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - cscottl1981 - 07-10-2019 09:07 AM

We got 2 draft picks for Delon and signed a comparable player as opposed to just signing DW. I’m not sure what’s not to like here.

Neither player is taking us to the Western Conference Finals as the team is currently constructed.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 09:14 AM

(07-10-2019 09:07 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  We got 2 draft picks for Delon and signed a comparable player as opposed to just signing DW. I’m not sure what’s not to like here.

Neither player is taking us to the Western Conference Finals as the team is currently constructed.

There is literally no move we could make that would take us to the WCF. Why people type these silly things thinking they have made some kind of point is beyond me.

Delon is a far superior player to Tyus Jones. It's not even close. Tyus is a servicable backup. Can't shoot, small so an average at best defender - 114 Drtg last year, which is poor. Has been 3rd string basically his whole career on average T'Wolves teams. He will be OK here, nothing special. Just now he is overpaid.

I'm the biggest Grizz homer on here. But no need to act like this was some master stroke.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - tiger1016 - 07-10-2019 09:26 AM

(07-10-2019 09:14 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 09:07 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  We got 2 draft picks for Delon and signed a comparable player as opposed to just signing DW. I’m not sure what’s not to like here.

There is literally no move we could make that would take us to the WCF. Why people type these silly things thinking they have made some kind of point is beyond me.

Delon is a far superior player to Tyus Jones. It's not even close. Tyus is a servicable backup. Can't shoot, small so an average at best defender - 114 Drtg last year, which is poor. Has been 3rd string basically his whole career on average T'Wolves teams. He will be OK here, nothing special. Just now he is overpaid.

I'm the biggest Grizz homer on here. But no need to act like this was some master stroke.

I disagree

Delon is a bit better than Tyus sure but he’s still a slightly above average PG. Tyus still has room to grow whereas IMO Delon is who he is at this point in his career. When DRose went down last year, Tyus ended the season really well. There’s no reason he won’t grow with expanded playing time. At the end of the day, these are role players. Having Delon IMO doesn’t move the needle much in terms of the future of the franchise.

FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - cscottl1981 - 07-10-2019 09:30 AM

The point is, neither player gets us to where we want to be. AKA who cares between those two dudes when we’re in rebuilding mode? We are quibbling over a backup PG. Sorry that wasn’t clear to you.

We don’t know what will come of those future picks. Maybe we luck out and nail one of them or use them in a trade for a solid piece down the road.

Charlotte signed Terry Rozier to 3 years/$58M. They have something to complain about. This...nah. Save your breath.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 09:34 AM

(07-10-2019 09:26 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  

I disagree

Delon is a bit better than Tyus sure but he’s still a slightly above average PG. Tyus still has room to grow whereas IMO Delon is who he is at this point in his career. When DRose went down last year, Tyus ended the season really well. There’s no reason he won’t grow with expanded playing time. At the end of the day, these are role players. Having Delon IMO doesn’t move the needle much in terms of the future of the franchise.

Again, these statements are meaningless. Moves the needle in terms of the future of the franchise? Huh? 99% of the moves any teams make don't do so.

Tyus is what he is. This will be his 5th season in the league. Expect more of what he was doing in Minny, where he was the 3rd string PG in his 4th season. He's an average backup point guard. Delon will be the starting point guard on a team that will probably win between 35 and 40 games this year. Big difference.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 09:37 AM

(07-10-2019 09:30 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  

The point is, neither player gets us to where we want to be. AKA who cares between those two dudes when we’re in rebuilding mode? We are quibbling over a backup PG. Sorry that wasn’t clear to you.

We don’t know what will come of those future picks. Maybe we luck out and nail one of them or use them in a trade for a solid piece down the road.

Charlotte signed Terry Rozier to 3 years/$58M. They have something to complain about. This...nah. Save your breath.

I care a lot, because Delon is a much better player than Tyus. And we had his RFA rights. He was ours. We know how hard it is to attract free agents. So when we have good players, we shouldn't just give them away for 2nd rounders. We can get 2nd rounders any time.

Charlotte makes lots of dumb moves. I certainly hope they aren't our barometer.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - BigTigerMike - 07-10-2019 09:37 AM

What’s so hard to understand that we got a backup PG plus 2 second round picks that will most likely be used as bait in future trade/dump salary deals. Just signing Delon wouldn’t have done that

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - tiger1016 - 07-10-2019 09:46 AM

(07-10-2019 09:34 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 09:26 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  

I disagree

Again, these statements are meaningless. Moves the needle in terms of the future of the franchise? Huh? 99% of the moves any teams make don't do so.

Tyus is what he is. This will be his 5th season in the league. Expect more of what he was doing in Minny, where he was the 3rd string PG in his 4th season. He's an average backup point guard. Delon will be the starting point guard on a team that will probably win between 35 and 40 games this year. Big difference.

We are basically talking about backup PGs. Delon was a 3rd string PG before he came here. Him starting at Dallas is cuz of the Mav's situation. On most teams he would be a backup PG like he would have been here. Delon is 27, Tyus is 23. Tyus hasn't peaked yet. Regardless the best both can do is be average PGs that need to be serviceable role players. Not worth losing sleep over either Delon or Tyus. Delon would have been fine behind Ja and so will Tyus.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 09:46 AM

(07-10-2019 09:37 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  What’s so hard to understand that we got a backup PG plus 2 second round picks that will most likely be used as bait in future trade/dump salary deals. Just signing Delon wouldn’t have done that

We now have an overpaid backup PG, Jones, who is immediately a negative asset, imo. If you think Delon and Tyus are near equals, fine. If you don't, then it's a bad move.

Some of you guys way overrate 2nd round picks. They are traded and bought and sold like playing cards. Only 60 players are drafted. Their will be many undrafted free agents who it will become immediately clear are better than the guys drafted in the 2nd round. Look at the '16 and '17 drafts, there are 12 guys drafted in the 2nd round who have never played a second in the NBA. Many more have barely played at all.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - MemphisTigerPawr - 07-10-2019 09:54 AM

(07-08-2019 12:39 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 12:30 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 11:19 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 10:56 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 10:38 AM)Dynamos Wrote:  That’s barely more than the mid level exception. 3 24 is nothing these days

Then pay Delon 3/$29M and keep him. Delon can do much more for a team than Tyus can. He will start in Dallas. And $8M is the high end for a 2nd unit point guard.

Wait $8M is the high end for a 2nd unit point guard, but you want to pay Delon over $9.5M to be the backup here?

Also it's about getting assets and Grizz acquired more assets with the S&T.

More assets
Better assist to turnover ratio
5 years younger
Pure PG vs combo means more minutes for Grayson Allen
Millions cheaper

More minutes for Grayson Allen? I'm dying. I love it when you try, and fail, to make coherent basketball arguments.
Yeah who wants to see what a young player like Grayson Allen can do with PT?

You would probably prefer us to resign your guy Holiday for more than we were willing to offer Tyreke.

Speaking of coherent arguments what about the other 4 points that everybody else seems to understand but you? Smh

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - NigelTufnel - 07-10-2019 10:13 AM

From Minneapolis: https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/09/tyus-jones-heading-to-memphis-after-wolves-decline-to-match-offer-sheet/

But there are many other things Jones brings to the game. Consider a point guard’s most basic responsibilities — to take care of the ball and set up others to score — and it’s difficult to find a floor general better than Jones, who recorded an NBA-record 6.9-1 assist-to-turnover ratio last season. He averaged 6.9 points and 4.8 assists in 23 minutes a game.

Although he doesn’t possess the quickness or size often required of perimeter defenders, he swipes steals at a blistering pace, and a few advanced statistics, such as ESPN’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus, rate Jones as a well-above average defensive point guard.

Minnesota has played better basketball with Jones on the court. He’s ranked in the team’s top four in net rating in each of the last three years. Jones has established himself as a quality point guard deserving of at least rotational minutes in the NBA.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - BigTigerMike - 07-10-2019 10:25 AM

(07-10-2019 09:46 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 09:37 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  What’s so hard to understand that we got a backup PG plus 2 second round picks that will most likely be used as bait in future trade/dump salary deals. Just signing Delon wouldn’t have done that

We now have an overpaid backup PG, Jones, who is immediately a negative asset, imo. If you think Delon and Tyus are near equals, fine. If you don't, then it's a bad move.

Some of you guys way overrate 2nd round picks. They are traded and bought and sold like playing cards. Only 60 players are drafted. Their will be many undrafted free agents who it will become immediately clear are better than the guys drafted in the 2nd round. Look at the '16 and '17 drafts, there are 12 guys drafted in the 2nd round who have never played a second in the NBA. Many more have barely played at all.

Did you read my post? I just said that 2nd rounders will be used as salary dumps & trade baits.....not picking players. How is Tyus overpaid at $28 million but Delon at $29 million not?

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 10:29 AM

(07-10-2019 10:25 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 09:46 AM)Tigx Wrote:  

Did you read my post? I just said that 2nd rounders will be used as salary dumps & trade baits.....not picking players. How is Tyus overpaid at $28 million but Delon at $29 million not?

Dude, can you read? I've and others have said it over and over. Delon is a much better player than Tyus. Not even close.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 10:33 AM

(07-10-2019 10:13 AM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  From Minneapolis: https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/09/tyus-jones-heading-to-memphis-after-wolves-decline-to-match-offer-sheet/

But there are many other things Jones brings to the game. Consider a point guard’s most basic responsibilities — to take care of the ball and set up others to score — and it’s difficult to find a floor general better than Jones, who recorded an NBA-record 6.9-1 assist-to-turnover ratio last season. He averaged 6.9 points and 4.8 assists in 23 minutes a game.

Although he doesn’t possess the quickness or size often required of perimeter defenders, he swipes steals at a blistering pace, and a few advanced statistics, such as ESPN’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus, rate Jones as a well-above average defensive point guard.

Minnesota has played better basketball with Jones on the court. He’s ranked in the team’s top four in net rating in each of the last three years. Jones has established himself as a quality point guard deserving of at least rotational minutes in the NBA.

And yet their GM decided he wasn't worth 3/$24M, despite not having another decent backup PG on the roster. And his Drtg was 114 last year, which is poor. And he shot 31% from 3, and only 41% from the floor, which is bad.

He is average. We paid a lot for average.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - tiger1016 - 07-10-2019 10:45 AM

Tyus Def Rtng last year : 108.7 per nba.com
Delon Def Rtg last year: 106.4 per nba.com

Tyus : career 6.9 pts, 4.8 assists, 0.7 TO, 1 steal in 17.7 mins
Delon : career 7.4 pts, 2.7 assists, 1 TO, 1 steal in 19.2 mins

They have very comparable PER.
There's no significant difference between the 2 players.

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.
Most sports media folks haven't gone around proclaiming that Delon is a LOT better than Tyus.

Both are serviceable role players and solid backup PGs on teams that have a bonafide starting PG.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 10:53 AM

(07-10-2019 10:45 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  Tyus Def Rtng last year : 108.7 per nba.com

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.
Most sports media folks haven't gone around proclaiming that Delon is a LOT better than Tyus.

Both are serviceable role players and solid backup PGs on teams that have a bonafide starting PG.

Wrong on everything, except that Minny passed on their own player, which should tell you something.

Here is a link to Tyus Jones' basketball reference page: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html His Drtg was 114 last year. Delon's was 107.

They don't have comparable PERs. Delon's has never been under 15, the league average. Tyus's has never once reached 15, the league average. They both have played 4 years. So literally using your stat, Delon is an above average player, and Tyus is a below average player.

We didn't pass on Delon, we traded him. Which was better than passing on him, but still a mistake.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - tigers0830 - 07-10-2019 11:24 AM

(07-10-2019 10:53 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 10:45 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  Tyus Def Rtng last year : 108.7 per nba.com

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.

Wrong on everything, except that Minny passed on their own player, which should tell you something.

Here is a link to Tyus Jones' basketball reference page: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html His Drtg was 114 last year. Delon's was 107.

They don't have comparable PERs. Delon's has never been under 15, the league average. Tyus's has never once reached 15, the league average. They both have played 4 years. So literally using your stat, Delon is an above average player, and Tyus is a below average player.

We didn't pass on Delon, we traded him. Which was better than passing on him, but still a mistake.

Delon wanted to be in Dallas. He wanted to start (he wasn't going to start here).

Front office was smart and got assets in return for him instead of losing him for nothing.

You're making Delon out to be better than he his.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - tiger1016 - 07-10-2019 11:28 AM

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.

Tyus
https://stats.nba.com/player/1626145/

Delon
https://stats.nba.com/player/1626153/

Defensive ratings are from NBA.com like i mentioned in my post (per NBA.com)

Delon's career PER is 15.9
Tyus' career PER is 13.5
whoa....that's a huge diff, right?

And what was wrong about their career stats : PPG. assists, TOs, steals?
You purposefully removed them from my quoted post....cheeky :)

But, for your edification:
Tyus : career 6.9 pts, 4.8 assists, 0.7 TO, 1 steal in 17.7 mins
Delon : career 7.4 pts, 2.7 assists, 1 TO, 1 steal in 19.2 mins

Huge diff again, right?

Delon is 27. Tyus is 23.
Common sense would be Tyus hasn't peaked yet.

I can't believe we are quibbling over average NBA players. Both are serviceable backup guards to a star level PG.

The Grizz did let Delon go. They executed a sign and trade instead to get some picks out of the situation, which is a shrewd way to do business. This has been mentioned by several media sources in Memphis.

Tyus is a Grizz now. I'm gonna root for him to do well in a backup role to Ja.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - Tigx - 07-10-2019 12:03 PM

(07-10-2019 11:24 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.

Delon wanted to be in Dallas. He wanted to start (he wasn't going to start here).

Front office was smart and got assets in return for him instead of losing him for nothing.

You're making Delon out to be better than he his.

What he is is much better than Tyus Jones. And we had Delon’s RFA rights, so we’re in zero danger of losing him for nothing.

It’s a bad move. And an overpay. Minny was right to let him go.

RE: FA Begins at 6 pm ET Today - ESPN Headline: JV to Sign 3 yr / $45M with Grizz - NigelTufnel - 07-10-2019 12:03 PM

We passed on Delon.
Minny passed on Tyus.

And Memphis essentially passed on Delon. They could have matched Dallas' offer sheet, but didn't. So, in your words, that "should tell you something."

In actuality, it means little. The Wolves had Shabazz Napier signed, so keeping both he and Tyus Jones was not in the cards since they are both undersized back up PGs, plus they are trying to clear cap space for a max offer next off season.