CSNbbs
QMB to Vandy - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: QMB to Vandy (/thread-878475.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

QMB to Vandy - Tiki Owl - 06-29-2019 10:43 AM

https://twitter.com/iqball2000/status/1144993023975133184?s=21

RE: QMB to Vandy - DFW Owl - 06-29-2019 11:08 AM

I haven't been following closely. Was it known or expected that he was leaving?

RE: QMB to Vandy - Tomball Owl - 06-29-2019 11:12 AM

(06-29-2019 11:08 AM)DFW Owl Wrote:  I haven't been following closely. Was it known or expected that he was leaving?

Yes. Announced he was leaving shortly after the season ended, but no word on where he was going until now.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Tiki Owl - 06-29-2019 11:12 AM

(06-29-2019 11:08 AM)DFW Owl Wrote:  I haven't been following closely. Was it known or expected that he was leaving?

There was no indication as late as Frisco. I talked at length with his dad before the tournament game and he had nothing but praise for Rice. When I saw the tweet it was all I could not to reply that while thanking people he should have thanked Rice and coach Pera for turning him into a P5 recruit...I did add that to the tweet from Jeff Goodman who tweeted QMB going to Vandy.

RE: QMB to Vandy - elw4796 - 06-29-2019 11:29 AM

Just one of the weirder transfers I can remember. Prototypical Rice recruit who was probably smart enough to be there regardless of basketball, no indications that I can recall that he was unhappy, serious playing time and important cog for the next three years...and then gone completely out of the blue. Good for him on Vandy. I think athleticism in the SEC might be a problem for him but he showed out well against Bassey last year so who knows.

But again, can't stress how much his departure is going to hurt us. We averaged something like 74 possessions a game last year. Using that number we gave up around 72 points per game with him on the floor and freaking *81* with him off. That's the difference between the 172nd scoring defense in the country and the 340th.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Ourland - 06-29-2019 03:49 PM

He used Rice. No commitment. No loyalty. Why aren't these parents using these opportunities to teach their kids life lessons? When you commit to something, you see it through to the end. All this makes me sick to my stomach. I don't give a damn what happens to him. Really I don't. Turncoat.

RE: QMB to Vandy - GoodOwl - 06-29-2019 05:39 PM

As Chris Rock said: "I'm not saying he should have done it...but I understand."

RE: QMB to Vandy - InterestedX - 06-29-2019 05:42 PM

(06-29-2019 03:49 PM)Ourland Wrote:  When you commit to something, you see it through to the end.

He did. He saw it through to the end of his one-year contract.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Fort Bend Owl - 06-29-2019 06:01 PM

I kind of suspect Vandy got into his head or his parents' head somehow. Maybe they were mildly interested in him out of HS, and followed him along his first year at Rice to see how he was doing. And felt like he was good enough to play for them.

I don't think he's as great as elw says although I respect his basketball knowledge. QMB won't do as badly as Vanderbilt as Obi did at Duke (that was predictable from the start). But let's not put him in Kazemi's class either. It's way too early to know if the two incoming freshmen are going to be able to replace him in 2019-20, but I suspect the Texas Tech transfer can the year after that.

RE: QMB to Vandy - greyowl72 - 06-29-2019 06:43 PM

I’m pretty resigned to this sort of thing. The almost free transfer situation and the one and done philosophy has fundamentally changed everything.
The players want the freedom to parlay their talent into the best situation possible ... on a season by season basis. I can’t really blame them and if that’s the situation then nobody can fight it.
But it destroys loyalty to the programs that initially recruited and supported the players early on. It feels like a free for all.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Ourland - 06-29-2019 07:07 PM

(06-29-2019 05:42 PM)InterestedX Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 03:49 PM)Ourland Wrote:  When you commit to something, you see it through to the end.

He did. He saw it through to the end of his one-year contract.

I wouldn't have as much a problem with it if he had indicated to Rice that he intended to transfer the first chance he got. I'm sure he didn't. He probably gave every indication that he was fully committed, and delighted to be an Owl for the long term. It's the only way he gets a scholarship. Now the coaches he led on, and who were counting on him for four years, are left holding the bag.

RE: QMB to Vandy - ausowl - 06-29-2019 07:08 PM

How is this different than the yearly one and done at UT, et al?

RE: QMB to Vandy - OptimisticOwl - 06-29-2019 07:28 PM

We've joined the big boys. All the best programs are built on one-and-dones.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Ricefootballnet - 06-29-2019 07:42 PM

This one and done in basketball is stupidity. Sick of it. Needs to have the same requirements as baseball. Give us three years or go (semi) pro

I’m getting absolutely sick of college sports. Am hanging on by a thread. Already have moved much of the substance of my limited financial resources to sources who actually appreciate it.

The next-to-the-last straw will be when some thug school gets invited to the AAC over us. One hundred million for Louis John Doerr’s “Leadership Institute”, and not a penny to attempt even the most meager recovery from our prior athletics perch (granted, much to blame on that front).

This school is shrinking to general relevance in the Houston area and the State of Texas like so much as the much as the Wicked Witch of the West melted into her garb. We’re almost gone. Only the smoke is left

RE: QMB to Vandy - GoodOwl - 06-29-2019 08:11 PM

(06-29-2019 07:42 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  This one and done in basketball is stupidity. Sick of it. Needs to have the same requirements as baseball. Give us three years or go (semi) pro

I’m getting absolutely sick of college sports. Am hanging on by a thread. Already have moved much of the substance of my limited financial resources to sources who actually appreciate it.

The next-to-the-last straw will be when some thug school gets invited to the AAC over us. One hundred million for Louis John Doerr’s “Leadership Institute”, and not a penny to attempt even the most meager recovery from our prior athletics perch (granted, much to blame on that front).

This school is shrinking to general relevance in the Houston area and the State of Texas like so much as the much as the Wicked Witch of the West melted into her garb. We’re almost gone. Only the smoke is left

I never would have applied to today's Rice. D-I athletics, competing at the top level as a University across the board--academics and athletics, was an important factor. Didn't have to be Alabama, but I didn't apply to RPI or Caltech or UofC for similar reasons, though they had interesting academic programs. Growing up in the South, I wanted to be normal, have big-time football, have the total, well-rounded college experience with great academics. Rice used to offer that. There is a difference in today's Rice vs Vandy that wasn't the same 30 years ago.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Ourland - 06-29-2019 08:23 PM

Two good posts. I wish I could be done with college athletics, but I love Rice Football too much to do it. Everything that's going on makes me absolutely sick. The kids have too much power. No college athlete should ever be paid a dime, there should be real consequences for transferring, and the NCAA should be taken to court for allowing such an immense P5 - G5 divide. It's ludicrous.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-29-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:Two good posts. I wish I could be done with college athletics, but I love Rice Football too much to do it. Everything that's going on makes me absolutely sick. The kids have too much power. No college athlete should ever be paid a dime, there should be real consequences for transferring, and the NCAA should be taken to court for allowing such an immense P5 - G5 divide. It's ludicrous.
(06-29-2019 08:11 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 07:42 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  This one and done in basketball is stupidity. Sick of it. Needs to have the same requirements as baseball. Give us three years or go (semi) pro
I never would have applied to today's Rice. D-I athletics, competing at the top level as a University across the board--academics and athletics, was an important factor. Didn't have to be Alabama, but I didn't apply to RPI or Caltech or UofC for similar reasons, though they had interesting academic programs. Growing up in the South, I wanted to be normal, have big-time football, have the total, well-rounded college experience with great academics. Rice used to offer that. There is a difference in today's Rice vs Vandy that wasn't the same 30 years ago.

I wouldn't have, either. I would probably have gone to Georgia Tech, Duke, or Vandy. Auburn (my brother went there) and Florida State (they offered me a scholarship, and I was kind of interested in a lady friend who went there and became a NASA engineer at Cape Canaveral) would have been secondary options. Had I gone to Ga Tech or Auburn, I would probably have been a civil engineer (with agronomy minor if Auburn) and become a golf course architect.

I did not list Notre Dame, because I would not have gone there at the time I came to Rice, but after going up there for our football game in 2014 (thanks, George Webb, for talking me into it) they would definitely be high on my preference list.

My freshman year, we beat TexasU in Austin. That brought our record against the Horns over 32 years to 16 wins, 15 losses, 1 tie. At that point, we had more wins against Texas than any other school--more than aTm, more than Oklahoma, more than anybody else. The following year, we beat LSU. Over Jess's career, we won or tied 50% of our games against Texas, aTm, and LSU. And out track team had scored more points in the NCAA meet, cumulatively, than anybody else in the SWC. We were actually relevant in athletics. We have not been since 1970. By 1980, Rice would probably not have been on my A list.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Ourland - 06-29-2019 09:48 PM

The transfer leniency is designed to help the power conferences get all the best athletes. The high schools a G5 universities are the farm system for the P5, who are a semi-professional league for the NFL and NBA. I don't think I've ever seen an instance where a talented, impactful player transfers "down" to a G5 school. It never happens. It's not supposed to happen. The NCAA knows this, and they know it's destroying the small schools' ability to compete. They just don't care.

RE: QMB to Vandy - owlatheart - 06-29-2019 10:11 PM

(06-29-2019 09:48 PM)Ourland Wrote:  The transfer leniency is designed to help the power conferences get all the best athletes. The high schools a G5 universities are the farm system for the P5, who are a semi-professional league for the NFL and NBA. I don't think I've ever seen an instance where a talented, impactful player transfers "down" to a G5 school. It never happens. It's not supposed to happen. The NCAA knows this, and they know it's destroying the small schools' ability to compete. They just don't care.

Precisely. Like many other things, it is about nothing more than money. The NCAA has strayed far far away from what college athletics was intended to be and should be.

RE: QMB to Vandy - Tiki Owl - 06-29-2019 10:52 PM

(06-29-2019 09:48 PM)Ourland Wrote:  The transfer leniency is designed to help the power conferences get all the best athletes. The high schools a G5 universities are the farm system for the P5, who are a semi-professional league for the NFL and NBA. I don't think I've ever seen an instance where a talented, impactful player transfers "down" to a G5 school. It never happens. It's not supposed to happen. The NCAA knows this, and they know it's destroying the small schools' ability to compete. They just don't care.

I would say Egor approached your scenario.