CSNbbs
It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. (/thread-877809.html)

It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Garrettabc - 06-17-2019 01:05 PM

Much a-do is made by Mike Martin retiring after 40 years as FSUs baseball coach. His son has been on staff 20 of the years and has actually done a nice job as the hitting coach. Many FSU fans are scared that we are going to get a Jeff Bowden situation and don’t want Jr as the next FSU head coach. Here is why I feel Jr will get a shot:

FSU is financially strapped and really can’t afford to go after someone with a big buy out.

He is the safe choice. He will likely continue FSUs 40 year post season and 40 year win streak.

Despite the opposers, I think the majority have warmed up to him as the next guy.

He knows FSU, he knows the recruiting territory, he would be loyal.

Bring on the Jr. era.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Pervis_Griffith - 06-17-2019 01:46 PM

JR's been getting some plaudits by the talking heads in some of the games I've watched. I don't know if they're accurate takes, but it sounds like JR's made some nice differences, actually coaching, in this latest run.

Hard to not hire the son of the legend.

While a safe pick, it's probably the best pick too.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Garrettabc - 06-17-2019 02:54 PM

If Mike Martin retired after last year, I think FSU would have cleaned house, but because FSU is on this improbable run, I think the mood has shifted. Jr. would be my choice.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Garrettabc - 06-21-2019 11:54 AM

It’s Jr.!
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2019/6/21/18700920/florida-state-baseball-mike-martin-new-baseball-coach

A couple reasons why this makes sense:

1 As originally stated, he knows FSU, knows the recruiting territory, will be loyal, will be less expensive than a buy out from another program and on of the top assistants in baseball.

2 FSU has an out going president and an interim AD, if Jr. fails then the new administration can make their own hire.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - nole - 06-21-2019 01:15 PM

yea. Good luck firing the son of 11. Be careful who you hire, you just might have to fire them.

This was done for reasons I am uncomfortable with:

*It was part of the agreement to get 11 to retire. This isnt' reported, but something I heard from a source of mine.

*It was made easier because FSU is broke.

*It was done by the same leaders who have done little while FSU baseball facilities fall WAY behind the big time programs. Including UF building a $50 million stadium right now.

*FSU just had something like 2-3 RBis in the last 35 innings of baseball and promoted the hitting coach.

*FSU passed on some big time options.

Hope it works and I like Jr......I just believe he got the job because of who he is related to.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Hokie Mark - 06-21-2019 02:58 PM

(06-21-2019 01:15 PM)nole Wrote:  yea. Good luck firing the son of 11. Be careful who you hire, you just might have to fire them.

This was done for reasons I am uncomfortable with:

*It was part of the agreement to get 11 to retire. This isnt' reported, but something I heard from a source of mine.

*It was made easier because FSU is broke.

*It was done by the same leaders who have done little while FSU baseball facilities fall WAY behind the big time programs. Including UF building a $50 million stadium right now.

*FSU just had something like 2-3 RBis in the last 35 innings of baseball and promoted the hitting coach.

*FSU passed on some big time options.

Hope it works and I like Jr......I just believe he got the job because of who he is related to.

NEPOTISM
gotta love it

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Garrettabc - 06-21-2019 04:48 PM

Jeff Bowden was nepotism. Jr. is actually qualified. Do you think big names are crawling over broken glass to be interviewed for the HC position? FSU can not afford a big name and their buyout. The current FSU prez and interim AD has only a few years left, the next guy will fire JR. if he does a bad job and possibly make that splash hire. Money is tight for FSU mainly because of season ticket sales is down after a bad 2018 season. A good football season along with a bigger check from the ACCN will afford FSU to hopefully invest more in the baseball program. I for one think he will succeed.

RE: It’s feeling like Mike Martin Jr. - Hokie Mark - 06-21-2019 08:00 PM

(06-21-2019 04:48 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Jeff Bowden was nepotism. Jr. is actually qualified. Do you think big names are crawling over broken glass to be interviewed for the HC position? FSU can not afford a big name and their buyout. The current FSU prez and interim AD has only a few years left, the next guy will fire JR. if he does a bad job and possibly make that splash hire. Money is tight for FSU mainly because of season ticket sales is down after a bad 2018 season. A good football season along with a bigger check from the ACCN will afford FSU to hopefully invest more in the baseball program. I for one think he will succeed.

Well, then...

FAMILY APPRENTICES
Gotta love 'em!