CSNbbs
US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As A ‘F-You’ To Trump - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As A ‘F-You’ To Trump (/thread-877665.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - ECUGrad07 - 06-28-2019 08:55 AM

I for one don't care whatsoever what an angry, commie lesbian has to say about the United States or our President.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - fsquid - 06-28-2019 08:56 AM

After learning that she said this in January during a photo shoot, it doesn't bother me as much. Interesting timing by the magazine to release it this week though.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - Hambone10 - 06-28-2019 01:30 PM

(06-27-2019 04:34 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 04:05 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 03:52 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I won't play the same game.

They are the national team. I support them as our national team. Those who choose this venue where they represent ALL OF US to decide to protest a duly elected President are incredibly misguided. They don't represent Trump, they represent ME.

If they want to bypass a WH visit after they win it all in protest, fine by me. That's them sacrificing something for their cause. This isn't them sacrificing anything, except perhaps to divide our country when the whole reason we HAVE a national team is to unite us.

Stupid

How 'bout she declines to play and lets someone else take her place or have us play down a man or gives up a paycheck or whatever in protest? Something where she doesn't gain public (especially her preferred public) attention for the gesture that is supposedly 'for others'.

It's really pretty simple on a few fronts:
1. You play for a team. Anything you do that reflects only upon yourself, besides good play, should merit dismissal from the team.

2. The team represents the nation. Anything you do that reflects poorly upon the nation should merit dismissal from the team.

3. If you feel a stronger allegiance to a cause than you do to the nation then organize and play on a team that celebrates that cause.

What about this makes you think she’s giving up her allegiance to the nation?

JR has made a clear but broad description of 'allegiance'. That doesn't make it incorrect because it isn't 'perfect', nor does it say she has given up some other allegiance as you say.

What she has done is taken a platform for uniting a nation and turned it into one for dividing it. She's not protesting the nation, she's protesting Trump... whom best I know, didn't say anything derogatory about the team (including lgbtq persons on the team) to spark such a reaction.

In the opinions of many, including me, she made representing her cause and standing against Trump more important than representing her country and standing for women's soccer. This is now about Trump, not about women's soccer. This is now about protesting Trump rather than supporting other LGBTQ persons.

I'm still waiting for some clear indications of how Trump has harmed this community any more than Obama did... how he has turned back some laws or whatever else... but I'll admit that since this isn't my issue, I don't pay attention to every detail.

It's true that democrats have pandered more to this community than Republicans have, but what has been reversed?

US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - JMUDunk - 06-28-2019 01:35 PM

Chechen concentration camps the drumpf is responsible for...

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - VA49er - 06-28-2019 01:37 PM

IMO, Rapinoe is free to call Trump any name in the book she feels like calling him. Just do it at home, not overseas. Hell even Pelosi sees that as a bad thing given her past comments. Be in France, win the friggin' WC, come back home and THEN unleash verbal hell on the POTUS if she wants to. At least then others can agree/disagree but at least it's between us and at home.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - fsquid - 06-28-2019 02:03 PM

(06-28-2019 01:37 PM)VA49er Wrote:  IMO, Rapinoe is free to call Trump any name in the book she feels like calling him. Just do it at home, not overseas. Hell even Pelosi sees that as a bad thing given her past comments. Be in France, win the friggin' WC, come back home and THEN unleash verbal hell on the POTUS if she wants to. At least then others can agree/disagree but at least it's between us and at home.

she did do it at home in January during a photo shoot. The magazine sat on it until Tuesday.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - VA49er - 06-28-2019 03:01 PM

(06-28-2019 02:03 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 01:37 PM)VA49er Wrote:  IMO, Rapinoe is free to call Trump any name in the book she feels like calling him. Just do it at home, not overseas. Hell even Pelosi sees that as a bad thing given her past comments. Be in France, win the friggin' WC, come back home and THEN unleash verbal hell on the POTUS if she wants to. At least then others can agree/disagree but at least it's between us and at home.

she did do it at home in January during a photo shoot. The magazine sat on it until Tuesday.

Ah, ok, then it is what it is unless she adds to it. Oh well....

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - Hambone10 - 06-28-2019 03:17 PM

Wait... 'what she said' isn't as important as 'what she does'. If she sits out the anthem, she is drawing attention to her comments and they will be repeated.... so she would be 'saying it' via the protest.

As for clutching pearls, this is a relatively insignificant message board. On my list of issues this is about #999,999,999, but its one of the things I choose to discuss here.

If I were say a professional athlete and I chose to 'speak' during the national anthem, especially in front of thousands and perhaps millions who offered their life to protect that flag and my freedoms... THEN I would be clutching pearls.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - JDTulane - 06-28-2019 03:20 PM

61' in and Rapinoe with the only goal for US as we cling to a 1-0 lead vs Fra

-edit- then she scores a 2nd 03-wink

2-0

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-28-2019 03:25 PM

So far it is going about as badly for the Rapinoe haters as possible. Now 2-0 and Rapinoe has both goals.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-28-2019 03:27 PM

French are bigger and stronger but have no answer for US speed.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - JRsec - 06-28-2019 03:32 PM

(06-28-2019 03:25 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  So far it is going about as badly for the Rapinoe haters as possible. Now 2-0 and Rapinoe has both goals.
What an absurd statement. Her performance on the field has nothing to do with her statements off the field or the inappropriateness of them.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-28-2019 03:38 PM

(06-28-2019 03:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 03:25 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  So far it is going about as badly for the Rapinoe haters as possible. Now 2-0 and Rapinoe has both goals.
What an absurd statement. Her performance on the field has nothing to do with her statements off the field or the inappropriateness of them.

Didn’t say it did. I’m just saying it’s not going well for the Rapinoe haters. And I’m probably one of the principal ones of those who like her play but dislike her statements.

She's a hell of a player. I thought for a long time that she was the glue that held the team together, and I thought taking her off against Japan in 2011 cost us a World Cup. Japan scored the equalizer 3 minutes after she left, and won in PKs. I don't think she got her proper due until she became so vocal politically. That says something about our sporting press--and not a good thing.

US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - fsquid - 06-28-2019 04:00 PM

Trump should congratulate her and offer a 20 minute meeting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - EverRespect - 06-28-2019 04:37 PM

(06-28-2019 02:03 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

Ok, I feel better about it. Still think she should have waited until winning before talking about not visiting the White House, but it isn't as bad as I thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - EverRespect - 06-28-2019 04:38 PM

Yep, but she got them both because of Morgan ;-)

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - EverRespect - 06-28-2019 04:40 PM

(06-28-2019 04:00 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Trump should congratulate her and offer a 20 minute meeting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Need 2 more wins first.

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - CrimsonPhantom - 06-28-2019 05:16 PM

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - 450bench - 06-28-2019 06:10 PM

(06-28-2019 05:16 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

What a joke...

Hell, most Americans have no idea who that is

RE: US Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To Trump - TigerBlue4Ever - 06-28-2019 07:02 PM

(06-28-2019 03:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  French are bigger and stronger but have no answer for US speed.

They kept up the attack throughout. I'm not much into soccer but from what I've seen these women are technically much better than many men's teams. They may lack some speed and strength but they are technically superior IMO. It was a fun watch.