CSNbbs
Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! (/thread-877475.html)

Pages: 1 2

Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 02:42 PM

Vote for your favorite! Commissioners, feel free to campaign for your league.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 02:46 PM

Atlantic League:

North: BC, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, UCF
South: UVA, Duke, Clemson, South Carolina, GT, Indiana

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 02:48 PM

Big Southwest Conference:

Big 6 Div: Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, Kansas St
SWC Div: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 02:50 PM

Cyniconference:

North: Iowa St, Mich, Mich St, Minn, Ohio St, Wisconsin
South: Cincy, M'land, Notre Dame, Penn St, Purdue, WVU

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 03:22 PM

Southern Collegiate Conference:

West: Auburn, Florida St, Vandy, Miss St, Tulane, Baylor
East: Georgia, Florida, WF, VT, NC St, UNC

This conference has protected crossovers and schools are listed in the same order of their crossovers.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 03:25 PM

South West East Conference:

West: Kansas, OK St, TCU, Houston, LSU, Ole Miss
East: Kentucky, Louisville, Tenn, Alabama, Miami, USF

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-07-2019 03:35 PM

Pacific 12 Conference:

North: Wash, Wash St, Ore, Ore St, Stan, Cal
South: USC, UCLA, Ariz, Ariz St, Utah, Colorado

What can I say? Our west coast guy missed the draft so we auto drafted.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Kruciff - 06-10-2019 08:34 AM

(06-07-2019 02:46 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Atlantic League:

Why is UCF in the north here? Why not Indiana or UVA? Makes absolutely no sense.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-10-2019 07:25 PM

(06-07-2019 02:46 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Atlantic League:

This was the conference that the original GM bailed on after making some questionable picks and I tried my best to salvage. It's got some good markets but isn't really built for football dominance. It's more or less built to get Clemson into the playoffs unless someone else (UCF) emerges as the dominant force. In the basketball arena it has some pretty good brands in Duke, UVA, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse, and Pitt. In terms of academics, 6 of the 12 are AAU.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-10-2019 07:45 PM

(06-07-2019 02:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Big Southwest Conference:

Big 6 Div: Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, Kansas St
SWC Div: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis

I actually like this one a lot. As the division names suggest, it's very reminiscent of the SWC-Big 8 (formerly the Big 6) marriage. In the north I think Iowa over Iowa St is an upgrade over the Cyclones and ditching Colorado and a double dip in the Sunflower State for the state of Illinois and that big Chicago market is nice. In the South Arkansas is a HUGE upgrade and I don't think the Memphis pick up is bad either. 6 AAU members give the conference some academic credibility. The basketball isn't bad either. The footprint is very logical too with two distinct spheres anchoring the divisions. I think there is a lot of really attractive content here for the media partners to faun over.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-10-2019 08:01 PM

(06-07-2019 02:50 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Cyniconference:

Alas! In this fantasy draft ND stands side by side with Ohio St, Mich, Penn St, and several of the other supporting cast we know as the Big Ten. 9 AAU members makes this the most academic of the drafted leagues. In football the divisions are a little uneven, with the East being stronger than the West. This might have been a conference where a zipper could have made sense. There's quite a few programs and match ups in this conference that the networks are going to be eager to have in their line ups. Penn St-ND will be nice as will be every other year meetings with Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St (I would have preferred Mich, Mich St, and ND together opposite Penn St and Ohio St)

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Fighting Muskie - 06-10-2019 08:18 PM

(06-07-2019 03:22 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Southern Collegiate Conference:

West: Auburn, Florida St, Vandy, Miss St, Tulane, Baylor
East: Georgia, Florida, WF, VT, NC St, UNC

This conference has protected crossovers and schools are listed in the same order of their crossovers.

Of the Southern conferences this one is probably my favorite. SC and AR are the only Confederate States not represented. 5 ACC schools, 5 SEC schools, a former SEC school and a private school in Texas. The private schools compliment the public ones well and Auburn, Florida St, Florida, Georgia, and VT give this league plenty of potential national title contenders. The footprint is great and the divisions are sensible and the crossover games ensure that the big rivalries are maintained. This conference owns the state of Florida and holds a strong presence in several other key southern states making it valuable to the networks.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - Cyniclone - 06-10-2019 09:31 PM

(06-10-2019 08:01 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(06-07-2019 02:50 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Cyniconference:

Alas! In this fantasy draft ND stands side by side with Ohio St, Mich, Penn St, and several of the other supporting cast we know as the Big Ten. 9 AAU members makes this the most academic of the drafted leagues. In football the divisions are a little uneven, with the East being stronger than the West. This might have been a conference where a zipper could have made sense. There's quite a few programs and match ups in this conference that the networks are going to be eager to have in their line ups. Penn St-ND will be nice as will be every other year meetings with Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St (I would have preferred Mich, Mich St, and ND together opposite Penn St and Ohio St)

I tried to anticipate how the member institutions would react and made my decisions accordingly. In this case, I imagined that the old-line Big 10 schools would want to stick together and be guaranteed yearly football games and basketball home-and-homes. I actually tried an old school/newcomers division split and it was almost identical to the final version, except it put Iowa State way out on an island, so I swapped them with Purdue.

That's also why I didn't do a zipper or any division setup that split Ohio State and Michigan, because I figure both schools would have exploded at being separated. Also that's why Ohio State and Cincinnati are in separate divisions, to placate OSU, since I'd guess they wouldn't be happy elevating Cincy to their level (I also figured Cincy would be happy enough trading Tulane and Tulsa for Notre Dame and Penn State every year). And I put Michigan and Michigan State in separate rotations so they everyone would play at least one Michigan school every year, a nod to Notre Dame.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - templefootballfan - 06-11-2019 08:23 AM

For 30 yrs B-10 been trying to get in NYC
Compensatory picks, Buffalo & Conn?

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - quo vadis - 06-11-2019 08:33 AM

The PAC 12 is the only one that makes any sense at all.

All the others are terrible, IMO.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - templefootballfan - 06-11-2019 10:21 AM

How terrible are they?

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - quo vadis - 06-11-2019 10:35 AM

(06-11-2019 10:21 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  How terrible are they?

Pretty awful. E.g., regarding the Atlantic League, we have UCF in the northern division, and Indiana in this league at all?

I could go on for each of them, LOL. I guess this means the conferences have evolved naturally in a far better way then they could be recreated today.

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - templefootballfan - 06-11-2019 10:50 AM

Keep going

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - MidWestMidMajor - 06-11-2019 01:15 PM

(06-11-2019 10:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I guess this means the conferences have evolved naturally in a far better way then they could be recreated today.

That's an interesting thought. In every conference there are a couple schools you could quibble with. But there is a core group that seems to make a lot of sense- probably going back to when conferences started out more regional.

I've often thought that in the perfect world (which doesn't exist) the majority of schools would recognize that realignment has created a monster (loss of traditional rivals, insane distances to travel for players and fans, etc.) and grant a "Do Over". Wise people would be empowered to gather around a table and achieve greater rationality to the conference structures.

But the exercise we did last summer where we each on our own tried to invent the perfect set of conferences showed me anyways how hard that is.
Maybe what we have is about as good as it gets??
(And yet I still want Nebraska to play Oklahoma and Kansas every year, and Creighton to play Wichita, Drake, and Northern Iowa.)

RE: Time to vote for your favorite mock P-league! - quo vadis - 06-11-2019 01:18 PM

(06-11-2019 01:15 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(06-11-2019 10:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I guess this means the conferences have evolved naturally in a far better way then they could be recreated today.

That's an interesting thought. In every conference there are a couple schools you could quibble with. But there is a core group that seems to make a lot of sense- probably going back to when conferences started out more regional.

I've often thought that in the perfect world (which doesn't exist) the majority of schools would recognize that realignment has created a monster (loss of traditional rivals, insane distances to travel for players and fans, etc.) and grant a "Do Over". Wise people would be empowered to gather around a table and achieve greater rationality to the conference structures.

But the exercise we did last summer where we each on our own tried to invent the perfect set of conferences showed me anyways how hard that is.
Maybe what we have is about as good as it gets??
(And yet I still want Nebraska to play Oklahoma and Kansas every year, and Creighton to play Wichita, Drake, and Northern Iowa.)

When I was growing up in the 70s, the Oklahoma-Nebraska game was as big as any in college football. I miss that too.