CSNbbs
Should W&M Field a Men's Lacrosse Team? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Should W&M Field a Men's Lacrosse Team? (/thread-876931.html)

Should W&M Field a Men's Lacrosse Team? - WMSportsBlog - 05-27-2019 08:59 PM

With UVA winning their SIXTH National Championship in Men's Lacrosse today -- congrats...(..booo..), we did some serious thinking: should W&M field a Men's Lacrosse team?

I know this topic has been brought up on these boards before, but it seems even more relevant now with the flourishing of UVA's program (6 National Championships), as well as Richmond's recent success/NCAAT appearances (after just starting its men's team in 2014).

Check out both sides of the argument below, and let us know what you think.

LET'S GO TRIBE.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2019/05/28/the-argument-for-against-wm-mens-lacrosse/

Should W&M Field a Men's Lacrosse Team? - zablenoise - 05-27-2019 09:01 PM

Put me down for a resounding yes! Don't know how but I'd be for it!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RE: Should W&M Field a Men's Lacrosse Team? - hktribefan - 05-27-2019 10:51 PM

A big caveat to a yes is at the expense of what? I see two different scenarios:

1. Funds are identified to add a men's and women's sport, and then the question is which sport do you pick. At that juncture I think lacrosse is a no brainer.

2. You want to add lacrosse so have to cut another program, if that's the case it becomes hard to identify which other program you get rid of.

I know lacrosse has great interest and could generate some money, but I don't know if it's a revenue neutral (if that's even the right term) sport. In which case to add it you almost certainly have to eliminate one to add it. I think adding men's lacrosse and women's softball would be good moves for exposure of the school (assuming you have to add two). If you have to eliminate a sport, I don't think there's one I would say to get rid of in favor of men's lacrosse.