CSNbbs
Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? (/thread-876681.html)

Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-22-2019 01:38 PM

I have been told the one we have on campus was intentionally built too small for such use.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - WhatIsThisFeeling - 05-22-2019 02:44 PM

I doubt it. If there was ever a need to use an Olympic pool they would just go to the Crossplex and use that one.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - C-Finder - 05-22-2019 03:21 PM

(05-22-2019 02:44 PM)WhatIsThisFeeling Wrote:  Just go to the Crossplex.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - BlazerMatt - 05-22-2019 04:14 PM

Attalla can chime in on this, but I seem to remember the BoT explicitly forebade us from having a pool in the fitness center big enough to be used for aquatic competitions.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - Ranger1386c - 05-22-2019 04:49 PM

That is correct. It was prohibited.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - the_blazerman - 05-23-2019 06:51 AM

I don't believe we have any aquatic team sports anymore so it may not matter now however the BOT intentionally forced us to build the pool smaller than olympic size so that no events could be held there.

Rot in hell Fess.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - BlazerFromMD - 05-23-2019 07:03 AM

(05-22-2019 04:14 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  Attalla can chime in on this, but I seem to remember the BoT explicitly forebade us from having a pool in the fitness center big enough to be used for aquatic competitions.

I believe they also forbade us from setting up gymnastics facilities.

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-23-2019 07:04 AM

Yep. The design team was told no. It’s time to change that though

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-23-2019 12:10 PM

(05-23-2019 07:04 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Yep. The design team was told no. It’s time to change that though

The olympic size pool was the "hostage" in negotiations with the BOT at that time to build the student fitness center. When the hostage was "killed", the funding for the center was approved. If the new Crossplex pool is adequate for UAB aquatic sports, then we can use it (like the BJCC stadium in place of the OCS).

RE: Are there any plans for building an olympic capable pool for aquatic team sports? - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-23-2019 02:26 PM

There were a few other "hostages" shot. :-/