CSNbbs
Bowen.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Bowen.... (/thread-876488.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bowen.... - Southernpride416 - 05-18-2019 01:00 PM

Im new to the board, but am a season ticket holder in Bball and football. Given the both sports are doing well and have been, Why was Bowen asked to resign? What am I missing?

RE: Bowen.... - EarthBoundMisfit - 05-18-2019 01:16 PM

(05-18-2019 01:00 PM)Southernpride416 Wrote:  Im new to the board, but am a season ticket holder in Bball and football. Given the both sports are doing well and have been, Why was Bowen asked to resign? What am I missing?

Just conjecture...but there were aspects of the job that Bowen wasn't good at.
Wasn't a people person...didn't do much to promote the sports entities of basketball, football...etc.
Add to that the fact that every time a AD or conference commissioner job opening opened up...it seemed like he was a finalist for the job.
To me it seemed like he had one foot out the door the entire time he was here.
He did some good things...cleaning up the mess that RC Johnson had left behind...but he never seemed to care about basketball...and let it flounder.
Basketball is in the Univerity's DNA...and Bowen was unwilling to fire Tubby...and not very enamored by the idea of hiring Penny Hardaway as basketball coach.
Attendance plummeted...basketball finances were starting to tank...and it was clear something had to be done.
I'm guessing Dr. Rudd wants a hands on guy who will trumpet and market our sports brands...be a people person etc etc.
In other words...be a fundraising dynamo...while being a A#1 azzkisser to athletic donors.

RE: Bowen.... - Southernpride416 - 05-18-2019 01:20 PM

(05-18-2019 01:16 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(05-18-2019 01:00 PM)Southernpride416 Wrote:  Im new to the board, but am a season ticket holder in Bball and football. Given the both sports are doing well and have been, Why was Bowen asked to resign? What am I missing?

Just conjecture...but there were aspects of the job that Bowen wasn't good at.
Wasn't a people person...didn't do much to promote the sports entities of basketball, football...etc.
Add to that the fact that every time a AD or conference commissioner job opening opened up...it seemed like he was a finalist for the job.
To me it seemed like he had one foot out the door the entire time he was here.
He did some good things...cleaning up the mess that RC Johnson had left behind...but he never seemed to care about basketball...and let it flounder.
Basketball is in the Univerity's DNA...and Bowen was unwilling to fire Tubby...and not very enamored by the idea of hiring Penny Hardaway as basketball coach.
Attendance plummeted...basketball finances were starting to tank...and it was clear something had to be done.
I'm guessing Dr. Rudd wants a hands on guy who will trumpet and market our sports brands...be a people person etc etc.
In other words...be a fundraising dynamo...while being a A#1 azzkisser to athletic donors.
Makes sense. Sounds like he JUST got the job done but wasn't spectacular and always had his eye on something different. Not 100% committed to Memphis athletics. That will get you canned in any Job.

RE: Bowen.... - Atlanta - 05-18-2019 02:40 PM

Bowen & Rudd didn't seem to gee-haw, probably as important as anything.

RE: Bowen.... - BandwagonJumper - 05-18-2019 03:17 PM

I heard he had a problem in social settings, if you know what I mean.

RE: Bowen.... - BigTigerMike - 05-18-2019 03:27 PM

Current success in basketball has nothing to do with Bowen as he was told basically told to go seat down somewhere as the major players in charge fired Tubby and hired Penny...something he probably wouldn’t have done.

RE: Bowen.... - memphisike - 05-18-2019 03:44 PM

Personally I didn't think he tried to upgrade our OOC FOOTBALL OPPONENTS
and the basketball schedule was loaded with OOC CUPCAKES

RE: Bowen.... - AlonsoWDC - 05-18-2019 04:02 PM

Per the respective HCs' requests.

RE: Bowen.... - BinghamptonNed - 05-18-2019 05:49 PM

(05-18-2019 03:44 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Personally I didn't think he tried to upgrade our OOC FOOTBALL OPPONENTS
and the basketball schedule was loaded with OOC CUPCAKES

the AD has very little to do with basketball scheduling , they have almost everything to do with football scheduling..... 4 or 6 years from now.....

RE: Bowen.... - DallasTiger - 05-18-2019 08:52 PM

All I know is I sent Bowen a great proven idea to increase football attendance and he did not even bother to respond.

RE: Bowen.... - uskjtc02 - 05-18-2019 10:06 PM

(05-18-2019 02:40 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  Bowen & Rudd didn't seem to gee-haw, probably as important as anything.

This^^^^

RE: Bowen.... - I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS - 05-18-2019 10:45 PM

He was instrumental in resurrecting a football program from the dead for 30 years to where it is today. Guiding us from 1-11 to now an undefeated projection for Tiger Football. He was just awful.

He's had higher paying options ever since.

RE: Bowen.... - snowtiger - 05-18-2019 10:55 PM

He should be scoring a job any minute now.

RE: Bowen.... - WiseMan - 05-18-2019 11:48 PM

(05-18-2019 10:45 PM)I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS Wrote:  He was instrumental in resurrecting a football program from the dead for 30 years to where it is today. Guiding us from 1-11 to now an undefeated projection for Tiger Football. He was just awful.

Our best and most talented team ever may have been in the 90s and went 6-5 playing about 5 SEC schools and lost 5 games by 1 point. Can’t get to my media guide. Remember 1st game of year at S Miss-damn true freshman kicker hit 49 yard or so FG with time running out to beat us. It was that kind of year. Seems we were driving with a minute to go and at Ole Miss goal line for winning score and RB fumbled the ball-lost by a couple.

RE: Bowen.... - WiseMan - 05-18-2019 11:51 PM

(05-18-2019 03:44 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Personally I didn't think he tried to upgrade our OOC FOOTBALL OPPONENTS
and the bask etball schedule was loaded with OOC CUPCAKES

Basketball cupcakes due to so called REQUIRED 6-7 home games to generate enough money to fund all athletics including FB shortfall. That should go now.

RE: Bowen.... - k2tigers - 05-19-2019 02:51 AM

(05-18-2019 03:27 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Current success in basketball has nothing to do with Bowen as he was told basically told to go seat down somewhere as the major players in charge fired Tubby and hired Penny...something he probably wouldn’t have done.

might want to forward this to pork chops

good at walking back when things seem rosy

RE: Bowen.... - EarthBoundMisfit - 05-19-2019 06:32 AM

(05-18-2019 10:45 PM)I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS Wrote:  He was instrumental in resurrecting a football program from the dead for 30 years to where it is today. Guiding us from 1-11 to now an undefeated projection for Tiger Football. He was just awful.

uh Fuente did that.
ADs are trained to manage finances. Almost any half trained AD reject could have done the job Bowen did.

RE: Bowen.... - Atlanta - 05-19-2019 06:37 AM

(05-18-2019 03:27 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Current success in basketball has nothing to do with Bowen as he was told basically told to go seat down somewhere as the major players in charge fired Tubby and hired Penny...something he probably wouldn’t have done.

In fairness, Bowen had little to do with Tubby's hiring either. Easy fall guy though, especially since he's now gone. But why don't we as a fan base show some class, thank him for his efforts while here & let it go. And in fairness, Bowen is likely the best AD we've had in the last 40-50 yrs. And that consideration not a gushing approval of all things Bowen so much as acknowledgement of the low bar set by previous ADs' cumulative performance.

RE: Bowen.... - 3601 - 05-19-2019 08:25 AM

(05-18-2019 11:48 PM)WiseMan Wrote:  

Our best and most talented team ever may have been in the 90s and went 6-5 playing about 5 SEC schools and lost 5 games by 1 point. Can’t get to my media guide. Remember 1st game of year at S Miss-damn true freshman kicker hit 49 yard or so FG with time running out to beat us. It was that kind of year. Seems we were driving with a minute to go and at Ole Miss goal line for winning score and RB fumbled the ball-lost by a couple.

It was 92. They weren’t all 1 point games, but we did lose 5 games by a total of 17 points. Had a chance to win them all.

RE: Bowen.... - fsquid - 05-19-2019 08:31 AM

(05-19-2019 06:32 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

uh Fuente did that.
ADs are trained to manage finances. Almost any half trained AD reject could have done the job Bowen did.
Yet we didn't find one for 30 something years

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk