CSNbbs
Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now (/thread-876451.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - ohio1317 - 05-18-2019 09:02 AM

Would still lean Boise State first but closer. The test to me is always imagining that the school sucks for a few years and then starts playing well again. How quick do they gain attention and how much. To me Boise State still wins that battle but it is closer than in the past.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - esayem - 05-18-2019 09:27 AM

(05-18-2019 08:57 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  
(05-18-2019 07:07 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Just a wild thought:

What do you think the networks would value the rights to a conference of the top 10 G5s? How much more than the new AAC deal?

Who are those 10?

BYU
Army
Navy
Air Force
UCF
Boise St
USF
Cincy
Memphis
Houston

This is real close to what I have been able to track down for top apparel deals ($)...which speaks directly to branding. I haven’t found $ value for UCF so not sure there. Houston is surprisingly low while Temple surprised to the upside.

Temple hoops has been a model of consistency, they just haven't made a splash in the tournament in many years.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - TexanMark - 05-18-2019 09:56 AM

Okay let's rank your top G5 brands then (include BYU and the academies). List as many as you like

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - loki_the_bubba - 05-18-2019 10:29 AM

(05-18-2019 09:56 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Okay let's rank your top G5 brands then (include BYU and the academies). List as many as you like
In order

Army
Navy
BYU
Air Force
Houston
Boise
UConn
Cincy

The rest hardly matter as brands.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - TexanMark - 05-18-2019 11:08 AM

(05-18-2019 10:29 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(05-18-2019 09:56 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Okay let's rank your top G5 brands then (include BYU and the academies). List as many as you like
In order

Army
Navy
BYU
Air Force
Houston
Boise
UConn
Cincy

No love for nouveau CF?

I'd move USAFA down a couple

Probably put Memphis in there somewhere

UConn is fading

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - loki_the_bubba - 05-18-2019 11:24 AM

(05-18-2019 11:08 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
In order

Army
Navy
BYU
Air Force
Houston
Boise
UConn
Cincy

No love for nouveau CF?

I'd move USAFA down a couple

Probably put Memphis in there somewhere

UConn is fading
Nouveau is the correct term for UXF. We'll see where they stand in a few decades. Memphis is probably next based on basketball alone.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - ArQ - 05-18-2019 11:42 AM

(05-17-2019 09:37 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  In my opinion it is BYU.

But, if we are talking about who has been growing their brand in recent years, my answer would be different.

Notre Dame and BYU are P5 independent.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - ArQ - 05-18-2019 11:46 AM

In order

Army
Navy
BYU
Air Force
Houston
Boise
UConn
Cincy

BYU is already P5. Service academies doesn't count due to special circumstances. The top 5 G5 are

1. Boise State
2. UCF
3. Houston
4. Cincinnati
5. UConn

Special consideration: Memphis, ECU, SDSU, Fresno State, USF

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - Magic95Fan - 05-18-2019 12:06 PM

The best way to determine this is probably liscensed sales, but as far as name recognition, that probably depends on the age of who you are asking. As someone born in the early 80's and becoming a fan in the 90's, I knew of BYU probably the best. As I got older, Fresno State, Southern Miss, TCU and Marshall were the "G5ish" names I knew. As the years have moved on and it has become easier to see everyone I would say Boise and UCF are the biggest brands right now.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - loki_the_bubba - 05-18-2019 12:14 PM

(05-18-2019 11:46 AM)ArQ Wrote:  
In order

Army
Navy
BYU
Air Force
Houston
Boise
UConn
Cincy

BYU is already P5. Service academies doesn't count due to special circumstances. The top 5 G5 are

1. Boise State
2. UCF
3. Houston
4. Cincinnati
5. UConn

Special consideration: Memphis, ECU, SDSU, Fresno State, USF

BYU is not P5.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - UTEPDallas - 05-18-2019 12:23 PM

Boise State is still the biggest G5 brand in football IMO. They’ve been consistent for the last 20 years and haven’t had a losing season since they moved up to FBS in 1996. If I’m not mistaken, they’re the only G5 other than BYU and the academies that get neutral games against P5 schools (e.g. Boise State vs Virginia Tech in DC). UCF has made huge strides in a short time but they’ve been inconsistent like winning a Fiesta Bowl and going winless shortly after. For basketball it’s UConn followed by Gonzaga.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - Hokie Mark - 05-18-2019 12:34 PM

(05-17-2019 06:05 PM)esayem Wrote:  Brand? We’re talking national names not in the P5 here. Hmm, probably Gonzaga and UConn basketball. I think Boise still has some cache to their name.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone ever wear Boise or UCF apparel though.

Lately I have seen some UCF apparel walking around in Charlotte

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - UTEPDallas - 05-18-2019 12:38 PM

(05-17-2019 05:43 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Point taken...they just seem like a decent brand with not a ton of top flight performance if that makes sense?

I think Colorado State is usually mentioned because of its location, academics and potential. Back in the WAC days and in the beginning of the MWC, they were the football school after BYU. Tom Jurich was their AD before he left for the Louisville job. CSU was the original Utah until they crashed and Utah hired Urban Meyer. I wonder had Jurich stayed in Fort Collins, if CSU would be in the Pac-12 today instead of Utah. The “Conference of Champions” has two schools in each state they’re in, CSU would’ve been a good partner with CU. If I was a Colorado State fan I would wonder what could’ve been if Jurich had stayed as the AD.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - slhNavy91 - 05-18-2019 12:38 PM

(05-18-2019 11:42 AM)ArQ Wrote:  
(05-17-2019 09:37 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  In my opinion it is BYU.

But, if we are talking about who has been growing their brand in recent years, my answer would be different.

Notre Dame and BYU are P5 independent.

No.
The closest actual CFP documents come to using the media-made-up term "P5" is to refer to "conferences with contracts with the bowls" which make up CFP/NY6. ND is part of the Orange Bowl contract.
ND has a seat at the CFP governance table, while BYU does not.
ND gets around $3M from the CFP, even if they were to go 0-12. BYU gets $300k

BYU is just like UMass, Army, NMSU...

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - UTEPDallas - 05-18-2019 12:41 PM

(05-18-2019 12:34 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-17-2019 06:05 PM)esayem Wrote:  Brand? We’re talking national names not in the P5 here. Hmm, probably Gonzaga and UConn basketball. I think Boise still has some cache to their name.

I’ve seen plenty of people wearing Boise gear here in Dallas.

I’ve seen a lot of them in Las Vegas, L.A., Denver, Salt Lake and Phoenix. They’re there. As for UCF, I’ve seen a few here in Dallas but I’ve never seen a USF one.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - bullet - 05-18-2019 01:10 PM

(05-18-2019 08:39 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  In terms of dollars and cents, look at what apparel companies are willing to pay. Most are valued as in kind product, but several G5 also have cash guarantees (mostly bball brands). UCONN, UC, Temple and USF have good contracts. Memphis’ new deal is similar to BSU, but with more guaranteed cash ($660k per year vs. $750k one time payment). The article I read said BSU’s contract was the best in the MWC. The academies have to be some of the highest based on sheer numbers of outfitted sports alone. I would also think BYU would be up there. Not sure about UCF but would think they and UH would be able to negotiate better terms when their contracts are up. As far as G5 goes, it’s probably pretty safe to say the academies, BYU, top half of AAC and BSU rounds out the top ten as far as licensed athletic revenue goes.

In the AAC TV contract, they had UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and Houston as Tier "A."

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - esayem - 05-18-2019 01:20 PM

The WAC actually had a tie-in with the Cotton Bowl for a few years. Let that sink in. The MWC was so successful because its teams were located in states where no BCS conference existed (except for CSU and SDSU, and later TCU).

I truly believe BYU could form another “airport” conference that could kick down the door as a P6 conference, they just need to take a similar approach:

BYU
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV
SDSU
Hawai’i
SMU
Houston

That’s where I’d start. Texas and California (even Colorado) are large enough where it wouldn’t matter as far as saturating the market. I have read there are issues with adding Wyoming, but surely they’d jump if CSU was included. Air Force, being a national brand, would probably be considered as well.

The AAC is currently the closest to P6, but the problem remains they are secondary in most to all of their markets compared to the P5. The MWC is bloated with excessive market doubling.

This is where the Big XII is asleep at the wheel. Big Sky country is still being overlooked.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - esayem - 05-18-2019 01:23 PM

(05-18-2019 12:41 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(05-18-2019 12:34 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I’ve seen plenty of people wearing Boise gear here in Dallas.

I’ve seen a lot of them in Las Vegas, L.A., Denver, Salt Lake and Phoenix. They’re there. As for UCF, I’ve seen a few here in Dallas but I’ve never seen a USF one.

No doubt Boise has expanded beyond their state into their time zone. See my post above. There is a huge ceiling to these Big Sky states currently being overlooked by the Big XII, the conference that could use them most. For some reason they have the idea that middling metro teams in the eastern time zone could be the answer.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - UTEPDallas - 05-18-2019 01:48 PM

(05-18-2019 01:20 PM)esayem Wrote:  The WAC actually had a tie-in with the Cotton Bowl for a few years. Let that sink in. The MWC was so successful because its teams were located in states where no BCS conference existed (except for CSU and SDSU, and later TCU).

I truly believe BYU could form another “airport” conference that could kick down the door as a P6 conference, they just need to take a similar approach:

BYU
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
UNLV
SDSU
Hawai’i
SMU
Houston

That’s where I’d start. Texas and California (even Colorado) are large enough where it wouldn’t matter as far as saturating the market. I have read there are issues with adding Wyoming, but surely they’d jump if CSU was included. Air Force, being a national brand, would probably be considered as well.

The AAC is currently the closest to P6, but the problem remains they are secondary in most to all of their markets compared to the P5. The MWC is bloated with excessive market doubling.

This is where the Big XII is asleep at the wheel. Big Sky country is still being overlooked.

BYU tried that in 2010 or 2011 and it failed big time. It was called “The Project” and it consisted in raiding the MWC with the help of Utah State. At that time the WAC minus Boise was still intact and UNLV and SDSU were the main targets. The rumor is (although it was never confirmed) that it was UTEP (who got a call if it was interested) the one that called the MWC to let them know about BYU’s plan. Others said it was TCU and Fresno. The MWC invited Nevada and Fresno State immediately and we know the rest.

As for Wyoming, people underestimate them. They might not be much to most people but they have one powerful tool that no other G5 (other than Hawaii) have: two US Senators at its disposal who can complicate things if Wyoming is in danger to be left behind or face an scenario where they’d have to drop down to FCS like Idaho because of lack of conference options. They know they’ll never be in a P5 league due to their small population but they’ll fight to stay in a G5 conference.

RE: Who Is The Biggest Brand in the G5 Right Now - Bobcat2013 - 05-18-2019 02:21 PM

(05-17-2019 07:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  UCF is certainly the flavor of the moment but there are certainly brands with staying power--the service academies and BYU that continue to hold a lot of cache.

I see some programs that could really build themselves up with a solid win streak. If schools like Memphis, SDSU and UTSA could capture the hearts of their NFL-less markets they could really be something.

San Antonio mighf be NFLless but don't underestimate the Cowboys following in SA. They are huge there