CSNbbs
Big News Channel 5 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Big News Channel 5 (/thread-875619.html)

Pages: 1 2

Big News Channel 5 - jarr - 05-02-2019 04:44 PM

Coming up!

RE: Big News Channel 5 - jarr - 05-02-2019 04:46 PM

Evan Prater decision coming?!?!?!

RE: Big News Channel 5 - jarr - 05-02-2019 04:47 PM

Boom! Commits... hopefully thisnis another 2018 summer with a couple more local guys to follow

RE: Big News Channel 5 - jarr - 05-02-2019 04:56 PM

And brother Garyn to follow. Big day for UC football

RE: Big News Channel 5 - dsquare - 05-02-2019 05:00 PM

Wyoming's Prater brothers, one transferring from Ohio State, will play for Cincinnati football
Scott Springer, Cincinnati Enquirer Published 5:31 p.m. ET May 2, 2019 | Updated 5:51 p.m. ET May 2, 2019
\
WYOMING – The University of Cincinnati scored a major football recruiting coup Thursday hauling in the Prater brothers of Wyoming High School.

For the 2020 freshman class, the Bearcats have lassoed Evan Prater, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound multi-sport athlete for the Cowboys who led them to their first state championship in 41 years as a junior quarterback. He was named the cincinnati.com small division football player of the year at the April 18 Greater Cincinnati Sports Awards.

The dual-threat dasher ran for 242 yards and three touchdowns and threw for 149 and a couple more in Wyoming's 42-14 of Girard in the Division IV title game in Canton last December.
\

Garyn Prater went to Ohio State University in 2017 as a preferred walk-on rather than take a scholarship offer from Fordham. As a sophomore, he appeared in three early-season games last fall for the Buckeyes, catching a 13-yard pass against Tulane.

Also at 6-foot-5, but a little thicker at 210 pounds, Garyn Prater by all accounts had an impressive spring, but came away without a scholarship offer and remained in walk-on status. Shortly thereafter his name appeared in the NCAA transfer portal. Because he did not play as a freshman at OSU, he could have three years of eligibility.

Now, parents Gary and Lori Prater have the opportunity to watch both sons suit up in the red and black of the local Bearcats. Gary Prater played college football at Tennessee and South Carolina.

"It was a big factor for me being 15 minutes away from home," Evan Prater said. "Having my family come support me and the whole Wyoming community and community of Cincinnati to be by my side, that was a big factor."

\\

University of Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell was at Wyoming’s state championship game last December. As such, Evan Prater has held a UC offer and has made several notable visits to campus, often sitting with the football team at UC basketball games.

"Just the atmosphere he's built there with that whole great staff and the relationship me and him have built, with him coming out to the state championship and some basketball games," Evan Prater cited as reasons for committing to UC and Fickell. "The relationship I've built with Gino (quarterbacks coach Guidugli) as well. The relationship we built was something special to me and I could see it being successful in the future."

With Garyn’s transfer and Evan’s commitment, the Praters now avoid the logistical difficulties of watching two sons in different places.

"We also talked about it, playing in college," Garyn Prater said of coming to UC with Evan. "At Ohio State, things we're going well, but me and my family wanted to explore the opportunities that presented themselves. It was always in the back of our minds, but until this summer and spring, that's when we started to go, 'We can really do this!'"

According to 247sports.com, Evan Prater is a three-star recruit with more than 30 schools showing interest. Tops among those:
\

Evan and Garyn also are talented basketball players. Evan received a basketball offer from Wright State and led the Cowboys in scoring last season at 17.3 points per game with 7.5 rebounds per contest. In 2016, Garyn played football and basketball with Evan (then a freshman) with Garyn scoring 16.8 points per game with 6.2 rebounds. That squad also featured the Edmonds brothers, Jake and Joey as sibling starters.

In Garyn Prater's senior season of football for coach Aaron Hancock at Wyoming, he had 54 catches for 1,093 yards and 16 touchdowns, averaging 20,2 yards per catch on a 12-1 team. Evan was Wyoming’s backup quarterback that season and ran for several touchdowns late in games, but never had the opportunity to pass to his older brother. That appears to be changing rapidly.
\

RE: Big News Channel 5 - jarr - 05-02-2019 06:30 PM

Recruiting class is now up to #34!

Big News Channel 5 - crex043 - 05-02-2019 07:06 PM

Prater plays basketball, too, apparently.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - UCGrad1992 - 05-02-2019 09:02 PM

(05-02-2019 06:30 PM)jarr Wrote:  Recruiting class is now up to #34!

KA-FUGGIN' BOOM!!!

Dannyboy posting something about what he's willing to do to CLF in 3...2...1...

Quote:University of Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell was at Wyoming’s state championship game last December. As such, Evan Prater has held a UC offer and has made several notable visits to campus, often sitting with the football team at UC basketball games.

"Just the atmosphere he's built there with that whole great staff and the relationship me and him have built, with him coming out to the state championship and some basketball games," Evan Prater cited as reasons for committing to UC and Fickell. "The relationship I've built with Gino (quarterbacks coach Guidugli) as well. The relationship we built was something special to me and I could see it being successful in the future."

Remember the previous coach wouldn't even sniff local area high schools and ruined many relationships. Too lazy or too super-ego...man I'm so happy we've put all that in the rear view mirror.

Big News Channel 5 - crex043 - 05-02-2019 11:41 PM

Quite odd how the local media was falling all over themselves to report the commitments this afternoon. Usually the only time they've been involved is to ask whether someone is still committed.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - Bearcats#1 - 05-03-2019 07:55 AM

Dear Coach Fick,

PLEASE DON'T EVER LEAVE US...PLEASE.

Sincerely,
Bearcat Nation

RE: Big News Channel 5 - OKIcat - 05-03-2019 08:35 AM

(05-02-2019 11:41 PM)crex043 Wrote:  Quite odd how the local media was falling all over themselves to report the commitments this afternoon. Usually the only time they've been involved is to ask whether someone is still committed.

Great observation. I can't decide if it's the local media energized about UC's top 25 football program and conference leading recruiting class or just the endless obsession with local high school sports. But if I had to guess, I'd argue it's the latter.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - crex043 - 05-03-2019 08:56 AM

(05-03-2019 08:35 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 11:41 PM)crex043 Wrote:  Quite odd how the local media was falling all over themselves to report the commitments this afternoon. Usually the only time they've been involved is to ask whether someone is still committed.

Great observation. I can't decide if it's the local media energized about UC's top 25 football program and conference leading recruiting class or just the endless obsession with local high school sports. But if I had to guess, I'd argue it's the latter.
Probably a combination of both. There is some palpable energy around the program, but the local HS sports angle is big, though I've never seen them cover it live before.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - UCGrad1992 - 05-03-2019 09:42 AM

RE: Big News Channel 5 - UCGrad1992 - 05-03-2019 09:44 AM

RE: Big News Channel 5 - BearcatMan - 05-03-2019 10:53 AM

I love that some of our most notable recent albums are starting to get interested in the program/recruits. Seeing a guy like Trav single out a kid like this on Twitter is big time.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - bearcatmill - 05-03-2019 11:28 AM

Not surprised Channel 5 covered this one. George is a UC guy and it is a big time recruit.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - AZBCAT - 05-03-2019 11:55 AM

I like this recruiting thread way better than the other one today. Go Cats! Love that Kelce is paying attention as well.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - OKIcat - 05-03-2019 12:21 PM

A long way to signing day but this certainly appears to have the makings of UC's best ever football recruiting class.

RE: Big News Channel 5 - CliftonAve - 05-03-2019 12:29 PM

Really huge that Channel 5 covered the Prater commit last night. After Channel 5 covered it, Channel 12 jumped on it and did an interview and Lance McAlister took a 10 minute break from his 24/7/365 Reds&Bengals talk to interview Prater.

Have a feeling this is a sign of things to come... imagine how much coverage we'll get when we land a 4-star from a high school that has a large following like Moeller, St. X or Elder?

RE: Big News Channel 5 - Marcus - 05-03-2019 12:49 PM

Huge props to Vogel and Channel 5. They've consistently been the most pro-UC media outlet for many years now. They jumped on this while everyone else in the media had to coat tail and only after the fact did they all jump in like it was big news. Maybe this will cause the other networks to wake up and maybe try be more pro-active in their coverage and support of UC.