CSNbbs
CAA and other mid major conferences - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: CAA and other mid major conferences (/thread-875199.html)

CAA and other mid major conferences - Old tribe - 04-24-2019 09:24 AM

I came across this interesting article about the mandates introduced by the Big South to emphasize basketball as the conference's featured sport. The CAA needs similar mandates. The conference is getting passed by other conferences with more progressive leadership.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/big-south-commissioner-lauds-basketball-success-expresses-concern-over-player/article_85bb33fe-61ea-11e9-b912-235cfcd1b370.html

RE: CAA and other mid major conferences - Zorch - 04-24-2019 12:28 PM

Good article with interesting points that the CAA would do well to emulate. The only thing that slightly surprised me was that the Big South emphasized basketball as the marquee sport and not football. It wasn't so long ago that Coastal Carolina (before they went to FBS) was really good (FCS playoff semifinal good, IIRC) in football, and Liberty was also good (and also now gone to FBS). Charleston Southern was good for a couple of years. So, while not great, their football was better than their basketball. The Big South has won only 4 NCAA tournament games (4-28) and I'd bet that all four of those wins came in "First Four" games against other seed 16 teams. So, I'm simply saying that their basketball had a lot further to go to "get good" than their football.

As I write this, I guess the difference is that even if the Big South got super good at football they would still only be in the FCS (so who cares, anyway), so they might as well try to be super good in basketball.

RE: CAA and other mid major conferences - Tribe2011 - 04-24-2019 04:34 PM

(04-24-2019 12:28 PM)Zorch Wrote:  As I write this, I guess the difference is that even if the Big South got super good at football they would still only be in the FCS (so who cares, anyway), so they might as well try to be super good in basketball.

They have their priorities straight.

RE: CAA and other mid major conferences - Old tribe - 04-25-2019 12:14 AM

(04-24-2019 04:34 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(04-24-2019 12:28 PM)Zorch Wrote:  As I write this, I guess the difference is that even if the Big South got super good at football they would still only be in the FCS (so who cares, anyway), so they might as well try to be super good in basketball.

They have their priorities straight.

Exactly. The vast majority of people don’t care about FCS football.

RE: CAA and other mid major conferences - SoCal Frank - 04-27-2019 09:20 AM

The Los Angeles Chargers do. They found their first draft choice there. A free safety named Adderley from UD; from the Herb Adderley family.