CSNbbs
Bham Legion/UAB soccer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Bham Legion/UAB soccer (/thread-874712.html)

Bham Legion/UAB soccer - BlazerGreen - 04-13-2019 09:41 PM

Big win tonight for the Legion at 1st place St. Louis FC, 3-2.

Couple of UAB related notes:

*The Legion took a 1-0 lead off a header from former Blazer Mathieu Laurent, his first professional goal.

*The 2nd and 3rd goals were scored by JJ Williams, on loan from the Columbus Crew. JJ played high school soccer in Montgomery, club soccer at Vestavia Hills Soccer Club, and college ball at Kentucky. When our state produces that level of player, we have to figure out a way to reel them in. Hopefully a finished BBVA will help.

RE: Bham Legion/UAB soccer - WhatIsThisFeeling - 04-15-2019 09:02 AM

JJ also played semi pro soccer with the Birmingham Hammers. He is good. Nice to see local talent getting some good minutes and results.

RE: Bham Legion/UAB soccer - BlazerGreen - 04-15-2019 11:06 AM

(04-15-2019 09:02 AM)WhatIsThisFeeling Wrote:  JJ also played semi pro soccer with the Birmingham Hammers. He is good. Nice to see local talent getting some good minutes and results.

I've been watching JJ play since he was in middle school. Always a tall, fast kid but now he's filled out. He's a force. Enjoy him while we can because I have a feeling he'll be called up sooner or later.

RE: Bham Legion/UAB soccer - the_blazerman - 04-15-2019 02:12 PM

What exactly does "on loan from the Columbus Crew" mean?

I understand the concept of loaning, just from where, why, & how?

RE: Bham Legion/UAB soccer - BlazerGreen - 04-15-2019 02:35 PM

(04-15-2019 02:12 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  What exactly does "on loan from the Columbus Crew" mean?

I understand the concept of loaning, just from where, why, & how?

JJ is under contract with the MLS Columbus Crew. He has seen the field a bit with them but probably wasn't ready to break into the lineup. So the Legion pay the Crew for JJ to play for Bham. JJ gets more minutes against good competition, instead of riding the bench for the Crew, and the Legion get a very good player for a while. It's common in professional soccer.