CSNbbs
Monday Musings - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Monday Musings (/thread-874385.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Monday Musings - fanfrompowellspub - 04-08-2019 07:02 AM

All four final four teams are over 90% man 2 man defense. While we are in a zone........

Heard from some HS football coaches friends who attended practice Saturday that Grissom and Jackson looked good at qb and it looks like a 3 man race. Team looks good but is lacking depth on the O-Line.

Disappointed that big bad blue UOFM had to have their open practice day the same as emu, probably reduced coach attendance at emu. Too bad they couldn't coordinate times to allow high school coaches to see both teams practice in the same day although after Michigan practice I imagine many people needed to grab some food after getting the munchies from hash bash.
Also I have notice since our victory over them in mens basketball in 2014 we have not played them in football or men's basketball. Basesball is a no brainer as both teams need mid week games.
Glad baseball was able to stop the bleeding with a conference series win over BGSU.
Hopefully no injuries in spring game and first one to 40 wins tonights game.

RE: Monday Musings - KPJ - 04-08-2019 08:21 AM

EMU Spring Game - Saturday at 3pm
U-M Spring Game - Saturday at 5pm

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-08-2019 08:29 AM

(04-08-2019 07:02 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  All four final four teams are over 90% man 2 man defense. While we are in a zone........

Heard from some HS football coaches friends who attended practice Saturday that Grissom and Jackson looked good at qb and it looks like a 3 man race. Team looks good but is lacking depth on the O-Line.

Disappointed that big bad blue UOFM had to have their open practice day the same as emu, probably reduced coach attendance at emu. Too bad they couldn't coordinate times to allow high school coaches to see both teams practice in the same day although after Michigan practice I imagine many people needed to grab some food after getting the munchies from hash bash.
Also I have notice since our victory over them in mens basketball in 2014 we have not played them in football or men's basketball. Basesball is a no brainer as both teams need mid week games.
Glad baseball was able to stop the bleeding with a conference series win over BGSU.

Nice to have depth at QB. 04-cheers

RE: Monday Musings - FrankAnderson - 04-08-2019 09:03 AM

I have a hard time believing Jackson or Grissom will beat out Glass for the QB1 spot this year, but am REALLY looking forward to the battle next year. Two great options. And if Glass gets dinged up at all this year, I'm sure they'll both get an opportunity to show what they've got.

RE: Monday Musings - TheWoodenNickle - 04-08-2019 09:17 AM

(04-08-2019 07:02 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  All four final four teams are over 90% man 2 man defense. While we are in a zone........

I've heard that it's common knowledge amongst our BB team that Beilein won't schedule them anymore. He can't risk a "bad loss". Probably doesn't want to waste time preparing for a zone that he wont see for the remainder of the season. Maybe he'll change his tune against a depleted EMU team this winter.

Beilein is a great coach but doesn't do any favors for the school next door. For this reason I smile when they lose.

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-08-2019 12:07 PM

Few have made mention that UVa went from one and done vs. #16 UMBC last year to the championship game this year.

UVa went from outhouse to the penthouse.

RE: Monday Musings - cidbearit - 04-08-2019 12:45 PM

I don't know if it's an issue of depth at O-line (and I'm not saying it isn't...tough to lose so many guys at once). Patton is apparently still in assessment mode and is shifting guys up and down the line to see who is the best fit where and which combinations work. You can only tell so much during weekday practice drills. Scrimmages like this past Saturday give a chance to really see how guys will respond in real-time action.

Alex said a few guys (him included) saw considerably more field time during Saturday's scrimmage than they are getting in reps in practice. Patton rightfully respects the upperclassmen who have put in their time, but no position seems guaranteed. It will be interesting to see how things shape up along the front five at Saturday's spring game, although my guess is even there Patton will be tweaking the line and rotating guys a lot. We'll probably not have much more indication after Saturday about the O-line than we do now.

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-08-2019 09:08 PM

How can we have a Monday Musings thread w/out tonight's NCAAs finals?

UVa just took the lead at the half...

http://money.com/money/5641063/texas-tech-march-madness-odds/

EDIT: Did we make a mistake scheduling TCU instead of Texas Tech? Just asking? Lol.

Duke, Kansas, and Texas Tech sounds more impressive than Duke, Kansas, and TCU.

What the hell, if you're going to lose...

RE: Monday Musings - EagleTough - 04-08-2019 11:28 PM

(04-08-2019 09:03 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  I have a hard time believing Jackson or Grissom will beat out Glass for the QB1 spot this year, but am REALLY looking forward to the battle next year. Two great options. And if Glass gets dinged up at all this year, I'm sure they'll both get an opportunity to show what they've got.

Glass is the starting QB.......end of story. Neither of those guys has half the arm Glass has. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson/Grissom as special situation/red zone/run based options.

With Glass' injury history you'd think those 2 would get some live game reps early in the season....'just in case.'

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-09-2019 12:00 AM

And remember about college sports:

UVa set history, the wrong kind, by being the first and only #1 to lose to a #16.

The next season they are like national champions...

That is why we play the game to see who wins and who loses them.

CONGRATS to UVa!!! "Outhouse to the Penthouse" in one season.

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-09-2019 09:36 AM

Tuesday Tidbit:

A NFL mock draft - I have been saying 3rd round.

89. Indianapolis Colts – Maxx Crosby, EDGE, Eastern Michigan

RE: Monday Musings - Bob Wickersham - 04-09-2019 10:19 AM

(04-09-2019 09:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Tuesday Tidbit:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nick-sabans-comments-about-players-leaving-early-reflect-alabamas-best-interests/

**Good advice from Nick Saban. Unless you are graded a First or Second Rounder, leaving school early is a mistake. The chance of a failed career is much higher as a 3-7 round draft pick and Third round money is not that great. He had kids graded as second and third round players who returned to school and became top 15 picks.

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-09-2019 11:00 AM

(04-09-2019 10:19 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nick-sabans-comments-about-players-leaving-early-reflect-alabamas-best-interests/

**Good advice from Nick Saban. Unless you are graded a First or Second Rounder, leaving school early is a mistake. The chance of a failed career is much higher as a 3-7 round draft pick and Third round money is not that great. He had kids graded as second and third round players who returned to school and became top 15 picks.

I wish Maxx had stayed, esp. if the NFL draft at DE/Rush is thinner next year, but he has 2nd round talent in most years so he should be fine.

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-09-2019 11:44 AM

Tim Bond's G League team plays tonight at 8 on ESPN-U. They are in the G League finals.

RE: Monday Musings - TheWoodenNickle - 04-09-2019 12:13 PM

He was in college for 4 years so it's not like he's truly leaving early. More like forgoing a final year of eligibility. And what if a kid gets injured in that final year and the NFL dream ends?

RE: Monday Musings - FrankAnderson - 04-09-2019 12:15 PM

Yep. A 3rd round salary beats $0.00 after a career ending injury suffered during a final year.

RE: Monday Musings - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 04-09-2019 12:44 PM

(04-09-2019 12:15 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Yep. A 3rd round salary beats $0.00 after a career ending injury suffered during a final year.

Frank, Also remember he's going to graduate next month! Maxx is living out his dream, he's going to most likely sign a pro contract, and have his diploma in hand! Congrats to him, and his entire family! Thanks for the great memories!

RE: Monday Musings - mpleafan - 04-09-2019 01:14 PM

Not that it means much but Joe Lunardi already released a way too early bracketology for next year. Has Toledo as the AQ as a 13 seed

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

RE: Monday Musings - emu steve - 04-09-2019 01:20 PM

(04-09-2019 12:13 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

He was in college for 4 years so it's not like he's truly leaving early. More like forgoing a final year of eligibility. And what if a kid gets injured in that final year and the NFL dream ends?

Excellent point. Four years - get the degree and go to the NFL. NFL prefers players who can play after 3 years (or 4 maxx).

RE: Monday Musings - masttg - 04-09-2019 01:37 PM

For Pete's Sake: nobody on this board (except ET) has a vote on what Maxx does or does not do with his eligibility.