CSNbbs
Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? (/thread-873269.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - HERDDDDD - 03-21-2019 11:20 PM

I really believe our conference as a whole is the worst this year than maybe ever. Odu our best team looked horrible tonight against Purdue. Marshall won against IUPUI but it was a struggle, which is embarrassing. Uab lost to Brown and FAU lost to Charleston Southern. Southern Miss was pounded by Longwood. FIU still alive but judging by everyone else it don’t look good.

Anyway, Discuss

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - ODUBB35 - 03-21-2019 11:27 PM

(03-21-2019 11:20 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  I really believe our conference as a whole is the worst this year than maybe ever. Odu our best team looked horrible tonight against Purdue. Marshall won against IUPUI but it was a struggle, which is embarrassing. Uab lost to Brown and FAU lost to Charleston Southern. Southern Miss was pounded by Longwood. FIU still alive but judging by everyone else it don’t look good.

Anyway, Discuss

Bottom teams have improved. Top teams slipped a bit. Can't really judge a whole season based on postseason. I would have loved to play Purdue back with BJ was on his game and the young guys hadn't hit the wall.

There's alot of young talent in the league. Future looks bright.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - HERDDDDD - 03-21-2019 11:48 PM

(03-21-2019 11:27 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(03-21-2019 11:20 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  I really believe our conference as a whole is the worst this year than maybe ever. Odu our best team looked horrible tonight against Purdue. Marshall won against IUPUI but it was a struggle, which is embarrassing. Uab lost to Brown and FAU lost to Charleston Southern. Southern Miss was pounded by Longwood. FIU still alive but judging by everyone else it don’t look good.

Anyway, Discuss

Bottom teams have improved. Top teams slipped a bit. Can't really judge a whole season based on postseason. I would have loved to play Purdue back with BJ was on his game and the young guys hadn't hit the wall.

I don’t know about the rest of the conference but I feel like Marshall is gonna struggle the next few seasons, mid to bottom of the conference. Who would you say is bringing the most talent back next year?

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - Shrack - 03-22-2019 12:01 AM

Anyway, Discuss
Longwood is #291 in the NET

Brown is #145 and would basically have been competing for a Pod 1 spot in CUSA. I don't know what is up with people acting like the Ivy League doesn't have decent basketball programs. Its still bad but there is a big difference there. Obviously neither schools should have paid money to enter if they didn't want to be there though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - CoachMaclid - 03-22-2019 12:08 AM

(03-21-2019 11:48 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Who would you say is bringing the most talent back next year?

If I were a UTSA fan, I’d be looking forward to next year. They return pretty much everyone from a pod 1 team.

I know they declined a small tourney invite because they were banged up, but they return the house next year.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - BlazintheATL - 03-22-2019 12:12 AM

I cant speak for the other teams but UAB has some good pieces coming back next year (Bryant, Scott-Grayson, Gueye, Lovan, Butler) but we will also be losing our best big man (Sullivan) and our best 3 point shooters from a team that did not shoot the 3 ball well (Perry and Bell). We willl also (likely) be bringing back Ehsan, whose performance to this point has seriously divided the fanbase. We will either be one of the top teams in the league or medicore to bad like we've been every other year during Ehsan's time here. UTSA or WKU are my early favorites for next season.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - ODU BBALL - 03-22-2019 12:36 AM

ODU returns (on paper at least) -

7'-0" - Dickins
6'-8" - Reese
6'-7" - Ezikpe
6'-7" - Carver
6'-6" - Green
6'-5" - Godwin
6'-5" - Wade
6'-5" - Oliver (transfer from Clemson - eligible next season)
6'-1" - Kithcart

Everyone but Reese and Oliver played significant minutes this season although Godwin got injured (foot) around the start of the conference season and had surgery.

Coach Jones is expected to be recruiting -

Center
Point Guard
and hopefully a shooter

Assuming Jones is coaching the team again, I would expect them to be another defensive minded team with the offense lagging behind, and finish somewhere among the first 4 or 5 teams in the conference.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - ODUBB35 - 03-22-2019 05:03 AM

(03-21-2019 11:48 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  

Anyway, Discuss

I don’t know about the rest of the conference but I feel like Marshall is gonna struggle the next few seasons, mid to bottom of the conference. Who would you say is bringing the most talent back next year?

I would say WKU (even if Bassey moves on), Louisiana Tech, and UAB would be my top 3, in no particular order. UTSA returns their two gunners so they will be in the hunt. ODU needs to replace Caver and Stith (although we did manage to win the tournament this year with Stith AWOL 03-wink). Getting Godwin back znd adding Oliver will help.

Not sure what everyone else brings back. Here's hoping that our top teams are ready to perform in November 2019 instead of waiting until January 2020.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - Fort Bend Owl - 03-22-2019 05:22 AM

I don't want to discuss what Rice is bringing back until I know for sure they're back :)

But if we do return everyone, I can see us being in the mix for one of the 3-letter alphabet tournaments again.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - Monarchist13 - 03-22-2019 05:40 AM

(03-22-2019 05:03 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

Anyway, Discuss

I would say WKU (even if Bassey moves on), Louisiana Tech, and UAB would be my top 3, in no particular order. UTSA returns their two gunners so they will be in the hunt. ODU needs to replace Caver and Stith (although we did manage to win the tournament this year with Stith AWOL 03-wink). Getting Godwin back znd adding Oliver will help.

Not sure what everyone else brings back. Here's hoping that our top teams are ready to perform in November 2019 instead of waiting until January 2020.

It's very hard for me to envision without Caver running the show but I've heard some in the program say we will be better next year.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - EverRespect - 03-22-2019 06:03 AM

(03-22-2019 12:08 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  
(03-21-2019 11:48 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Who would you say is bringing the most talent back next year?

If I were a UTSA fan, I’d be looking forward to next year. They return pretty much everyone from a pod 1 team.

I know they declined a small tourney invite because they were banged up, but they return the house next year.
Agree, but the problem with UTSA is they will always be banged up as the season grinds on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - ODUBB35 - 03-22-2019 06:21 AM

(03-22-2019 05:40 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Anyway, Discuss

It's very hard for me to envision without Caver running the show but I've heard some in the program say we will be better next year.

Kithcart is capable. Just one of the young guys who needs to take the next step. We'll see.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - WKUFan518 - 03-22-2019 06:40 AM

(03-22-2019 12:36 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  ODU returns (on paper at least) -

7'-0" - Dickins
6'-8" - Reese
6'-7" - Ezikpe
6'-7" - Carver
6'-6" - Green
6'-5" - Godwin
6'-5" - Wade
6'-5" - Oliver (transfer from Clemson - eligible next season)
6'-1" - Kithcart

Everyone but Reese and Oliver played significant minutes this season although Godwin got injured (foot) around the start of the conference season and had surgery.

Coach Jones is expected to be recruiting -

Center
Point Guard
and hopefully a shooter

Assuming Jones is coaching the team again, I would expect them to be another defensive minded team with the offense lagging behind, and finish somewhere among the first 4 or 5 teams in the conference.

I would say next season would be a rebuilding year for ODU now that the Stith bloodline is over, but with your style I am sure you still win 20 games and finish top 5 in conference....

And yes this is the worst season in CUSA history, which is strange considering the season began with a lot of promise for our teams....At least most of the middle and bottom improved, but the top teams were garbage compared to our teams in the past...

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - odu09 - 03-22-2019 06:40 AM

Anyway, Discuss

"We" say that every year. Unfortunately BJ kind of disappeared but he still drew a lot of attention, and I think some of our own posters don't give Caver enough credit. Even if we sign Jucos at every position of need I'm not sure how we can say we will be better. Who knows though

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - Monarchist13 - 03-22-2019 06:47 AM

(03-22-2019 06:40 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(03-21-2019 11:27 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Bottom teams have improved. Top teams slipped a bit. Can't really judge a whole season based on postseason. I would have loved to play Purdue back with BJ was on his game and the young guys hadn't hit the wall.

"We" say that every year. Unfortunately BJ kind of disappeared but he still drew a lot of attention, and I think some of our own posters don't give Caver enough credit. Even if we sign Jucos at every position of need I'm not sure how we can say we will be better. Who knows though

Yes, fans say next year a lot. But this is the first time I've heard it from my contacts inside the program.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - WKUFan518 - 03-22-2019 07:03 AM

(03-22-2019 12:12 AM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  I cant speak for the other teams but UAB has some good pieces coming back next year (Bryant, Scott-Grayson, Gueye, Lovan, Butler) but we will also be losing our best big man (Sullivan) and our best 3 point shooters from a team that did not shoot the 3 ball well (Perry and Bell). We willl also (likely) be bringing back Ehsan, whose performance to this point has seriously divided the fanbase. We will either be one of the top teams in the league or medicore to bad like we've been every other year during Ehsan's time here. UTSA or WKU are my early favorites for next season.

We will be the same unless Stansbury finds us a PG and some more shooters, we have some serious flaws even if we guys improve this off season....

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - TTT - 03-22-2019 07:33 AM

The fact that USM basketball finished 3rd is all the indication one needs to realize just how poor the REST of CUSA has fallen. Yes, this is the worst CUSA has ever been. In fact...'18-'19 was by far the worst CUSA has ever been in both football and basketball since it's inception.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - ODUBB35 - 03-22-2019 07:42 AM

We have some much needed shooting coming back with Godwin and the addition of Oliver. As far as others:

Green: Broke out towards the end of the season, especially when BJ lost his stroke. He'll need to be ready to be the main man next year as he will be the focus of the other teams defensive schemes.
Kithcart: Showed flashes of brilliance but also a lot of boneheaded plays. He'll be running the show next year so needs some consistency.
Dickens: Huge upside, showed flashes of brilliance, but seemed to hit a wall towards the end of the season. Needs to make the next step in the offseason (and eat some biscuits.)
Wade: Does everything well, except shoot. Needs to work on his J.
Ezikpe: Best looking freshman. Needs to take the next step.
Carver: Hopefully, he can pull a Brandon Johnson and develop some sort of offensive game for his senior season to accompany his fine D and rebounding. We just can't afford to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end. For the last month, no one even bothered to guard him.

Hope to see Joe Reece bring something to the table as well. Could use a backup PG and another shooter before the season begins.

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - UTSAMarineVet09 - 03-22-2019 08:47 AM

We only had two seniors on the roster this year. One of them, Nick Allen, saw significant playing time

RE: Is this the worst season in CUSA history? - usm99 - 03-22-2019 09:01 AM

Anyway, Discuss

But in football season many (not all) CUSA fans use that as justification as to why we are better than other conferences when we win OR do well in the Bowl Cup Challenge.