CSNbbs
Matt Matheny - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Matt Matheny (/thread-872956.html)

Matt Matheny - Gary Miller - 03-18-2019 01:55 PM

Matt Matheny has been fired after 10 seasons at Elon, not a real surprise here... I wonder if former Seahawk Joel Justus will be candidate, he was an assistant at Elon from 2004-2008 and is now the lead recruiter at Kentucky. It would probably be a pay cut for him, but I'm sure he wants to be an HC one day.

Matt Matheny - Proff - 03-18-2019 02:43 PM

I am sure Joel, if considered, will get sound advice from Calipari. Joel's father, John, and Calipari are good friends (part of the reason Joel is at uk). Joel's father was SID here when Calipari played at the Dub.
Any other names being bantered about for the elon job?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Matt Matheny - geezerhawkdad - 03-18-2019 03:26 PM

Elon is a much better job now than when Matheny arrived. Their previous arena was a small high school gym. Matheny only coached one year in the new building.

Elon has little basketball tradition. It has won multiple NAIA football titles and has beautiful football stadium. Elon has no rival in the CAA.

The move from the SoCon to the CAA was bad for basketball because the competition was tougher and it emphasized their inadequate basketball facility compared to Charleston, Wilmington, and Williamsburg.

RE: Matt Matheny - 82hawk - 03-18-2019 06:00 PM

(03-18-2019 03:26 PM)geezerhawkdad Wrote:  Elon is a much better job now than when Matheny arrived. Their previous arena was a small high school gym. Matheny only coached one year in the new building.

Elon has little basketball tradition. It has won multiple NAIA football titles and has beautiful football stadium. Elon has no rival in the CAA.

The move from the SoCon to the CAA was bad for basketball because the competition was tougher and it emphasized their inadequate basketball facility compared to Charleston, Wilmington, and Williamsburg.

But it forced them to step up their game. Elon is a huge draw in the Greensboro area for athletes. A whole lot of baseball players go there and a lot of basketball players did back in the day. IMO, they are going to rise pretty quickly with a new coach.

Matt Matheny - B_Hawk06 - 03-18-2019 06:05 PM

(03-18-2019 06:00 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 03:26 PM)geezerhawkdad Wrote:  Elon is a much better job now than when Matheny arrived. Their previous arena was a small high school gym. Matheny only coached one year in the new building.

But it forced them to step up their game.

Have they? They haven’t won a single CAA tournament game since making the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Matt Matheny - Seahawk2010 - 03-18-2019 06:31 PM

Bad week for former Davidson assistant coaches, with App State firing Jim Fox.

RE: Matt Matheny - 82hawk - 03-18-2019 06:40 PM

(03-18-2019 06:05 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Their coliseum is probably the best in the CAA now. Stepped up big time. Now for a new coach.

Matt Matheny - B_Hawk06 - 03-18-2019 06:42 PM

(03-18-2019 06:40 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Their coliseum is probably the best in the CAA now. Stepped up big time. Now for a new coach.

I agree there. That place looks nice. I’m just glad that Santa Ana kid is gone. Felt like he was there for 8 years.

RE: Matt Matheny - 82hawk - 03-18-2019 07:00 PM

(03-18-2019 06:42 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 06:40 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

I agree there. That place looks nice. I’m just glad that Santa Ana kid is gone. Felt like he was there for 8 years.

You ain't kidding.

I'd really like to see Elon move to the top of the CAA. They're a potentially good NC rival. I honestly think they'll get there. Like William and Mary, they're a pretty high level academic school as well.

Not sure why, but I have a weird feeling they'll go after a Keatts type coach who runs the press. UNCG and UNCW have shown the way and they've played both.