CSNbbs
Anybody surprised??? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Anybody surprised??? (/thread-872605.html)

Anybody surprised??? - Eagleholic - 03-14-2019 11:20 PM

Is anybody surprised that only Pod 1 teams are remaining for the semifinals?

Anybody surprised??? - Old Dirty Monarchs - 03-14-2019 11:24 PM

It’s not a surprise. There was a noticeable difference between Pod 1 and 2/3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Anybody surprised??? - deb025 - 03-14-2019 11:29 PM

(03-14-2019 11:24 PM)Old Dirty Monarchs Wrote:  It’s not a surprise. There was a noticeable difference between Pod 1 and 2/3.

I wouldn't say there was a noticeable difference. I felt confident that Tech could beat ODU tonight. Unfortunately we choked but I felt we could beat anyone in Pod 1. We did beat all the teams in Pod 1 during the season except ODU, only lost by one at their place and in the tournament.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - stinkfist - 03-14-2019 11:31 PM

obviously, the byes worked this time...

it could just have easily worked out the other way....

hell, the largest favorite was -3 today....

what does that tell ya?

RE: Anybody surprised??? - rileylives - 03-14-2019 11:37 PM

This is so dumb.

ODU needed a last second trey to beat La Tech.

Marshall vs Southern Miss was a back and forth Rocky movie played out on a basketball court.

Get the fudge out of here with this Pod 1 superiority complex.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Shadow_Son - 03-14-2019 11:45 PM

Not one bit. It was clear that the pod 1 teams had seperated themselves from the pack. Semis and finals should be fantastic with the best teams remaining.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Eagleholic - 03-14-2019 11:55 PM

I guess I'm not surprised that their are only Pod 1 teams left, but I would not have been shocked if Marshall or La Tech had won today.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - nastybunch - 03-15-2019 12:03 AM

(03-14-2019 11:55 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  I guess I'm not surprised that their are only Pod 1 teams left, but I would not have been shocked if Marshall or La Tech had won today.

Bingo

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Noodles - 03-15-2019 12:17 AM

Tired legs vs. fresh legs may have been a factor.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - WKUFan518 - 03-15-2019 06:58 AM

This tournament has always benefitted teams with byes, to me this tournament would be impossible to win 4 games in 4 days....WKU did it back to back in the Sun Belt, win 4 games in 4 days, but the talent level is much higher in CUSA. I don't see it happening anytime soon...

Anybody surprised??? - Old Dirty Monarchs - 03-15-2019 07:41 AM

(03-14-2019 11:29 PM)deb025 Wrote:  
(03-14-2019 11:24 PM)Old Dirty Monarchs Wrote:  It’s not a surprise. There was a noticeable difference between Pod 1 and 2/3.

I wouldn't say there was a noticeable difference. I felt confident that Tech could beat ODU tonight. Unfortunately we choked but I felt we could beat anyone in Pod 1. We did beat all the teams in Pod 1 during the season except ODU, only lost by one at their place and in the tournament.

Coulda wooda shoulda

RE: Anybody surprised??? - mturn017 - 03-15-2019 08:04 AM

(03-14-2019 11:31 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  obviously, the byes worked this time...

what does that tell ya?

I think the byes come into play more in the semis and finals. Fatigue probably not as noticeable in game two as it is in 3 and 4. If UAB had been the 4 seed I think they have as good as chance as anyone as it is I think that extra game will catch up to them. They could very well beat us today but I think they'd be handicapped tomorrow. I think I heard an announcer say no has ever won the tourney that didn't one have a bye. Plenty have won their second game.

To the OP's point, no doubt there was parity pretty deep in CUSA this year but I'm not surprised with the results I don't think I'd have been surprised to see a pod 2 team or even 2 in the semis either.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - ODU BBALL - 03-15-2019 09:21 AM

(03-15-2019 08:04 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

what does that tell ya?

I think the byes come into play more in the semis and finals. Fatigue probably not as noticeable in game two as it is in 3 and 4. If UAB had been the 4 seed I think they have as good as chance as anyone as it is I think that extra game will catch up to them. They could very well beat us today but I think they'd be handicapped tomorrow. I think I heard an announcer say no has ever won the tourney that didn't one have a bye. Plenty have won their second game.

To the OP's point, no doubt there was parity pretty deep in CUSA this year but I'm not surprised with the results I don't think I'd have been surprised to see a pod 2 team or even 2 in the semis either.

Connecticut won the Big East Tournament several years ago by winning 4 games. Don't remember anyone else doing it, but it may have happened.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - mturn017 - 03-15-2019 09:25 AM

(03-15-2019 09:21 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 08:04 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

what does that tell ya?

Connecticut won the Big East Tournament several years ago by winning 4 games. Don't remember anyone else doing it, but it may have happened.

I'm pretty sure they were referring to CUSA history.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Goherd73 - 03-15-2019 09:36 AM

I read somewhere that Houston won it in 4 games when we played in Tulsa.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Hilltopper2K - 03-15-2019 09:39 AM

Can a non bye team win the tournament? Yeah. Play the tournament out enough times and it will probably happen every once in a while. But it just isn't likely in any given year.

Now it's a different thing to say that a non bye team can get an upset in the quarterfinals or that a non bye team can make a run pretty deep. Of course that can happen. There is a lot more randomness in basketball than there is in football. A quarter of an inch can make the difference in hitting a shot or missing a shot that shifts momentum.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - Eagleholic - 03-15-2019 09:45 AM

(03-15-2019 09:36 AM)Goherd73 Wrote:  I read somewhere that Houston won it in 4 games when we played in Tulsa.

Yes, the Cougars won it one year with great 3 point shooting over 4 games. It seems like they had a couple of guards that carried them.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - va-eagle - 03-15-2019 09:56 AM

(03-15-2019 06:58 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  This tournament has always benefitted teams with byes, to me this tournament would be impossible to win 4 games in 4 days....WKU did it back to back in the Sun Belt, win 4 games in 4 days, but the talent level is much higher in CUSA. I don't see it happening anytime soon...

Bye didn't help MTSU last year.

RE: Anybody surprised??? - WKUFan518 - 03-15-2019 09:59 AM

(03-15-2019 09:56 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 06:58 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  This tournament has always benefitted teams with byes, to me this tournament would be impossible to win 4 games in 4 days....WKU did it back to back in the Sun Belt, win 4 games in 4 days, but the talent level is much higher in CUSA. I don't see it happening anytime soon...

Bye didn't help MTSU last year.

I didn't say a team cannot be beaten 2nd game of tournament. Point was champion in recent memory or at least time frame WKU has been in conference has always been a team with a bye into quarterfinals....This season no different...Houston apparently did it, so what 1 team in last 20 CUSA tournaments?