CSNbbs
Northview's 6-4 Alek West - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Northview's 6-4 Alek West (/thread-872181.html)

Pages: 1 2

Northview's 6-4 Alek West - Springboromark - 03-10-2019 02:19 AM

Why haven't this young man been offered yet to play basketball at the D1 level? I supposed UT would have but they have no scholarships to give right now. Got to keep local talent home.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - UTfanBGalum - 03-10-2019 02:53 AM

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6918582/Alek-West

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-10-2019 03:49 AM

This have something to do with the article published today or just coincidence? No one else has offerred him. So I don't think it's a matter of keeping local talent home.

Perhaps it's unrecognized talent. Perhaps the talent isn't there. There are many 20 pt averages in this state and others, not getting D1 offers. If his GPA brings with it a commensurate SAT, he'll be okay. If he wants to play D1 and he's motivated, he'll walk on. Plenty of big-time coaches that are known for developing less recognized players into P5 players.

I don't see this kid to be any less or any more than Ryan Smith and Dakota Mathius that both had great careers at Purdue but those two played in a time when talent around here was extremely deep. Mathius was well recognized out of a small but successful program but Smith? Just another good player barely recognized. This kid might just have to put himself on someone's radar. Smith's father coached Southview after Whitmer, so there's certainly a convenient source of advice.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - pono - 03-10-2019 05:50 AM

strikes me as a player that might do real well at a low major school. i think he will get some spring D1 offers. 6-3 or 6-4 guy who you can run offense through and has a nice shot. not running fast but basketball fast. outplaying average high school competition and not a big name on summer circuit. recruiting is finnicky. ja morant was too skinny looking and low profile. west has a sorta chubby look to him, so there may be a question with his speed on both ends against fast college guards. how did he do this year when matched up against another real good guard?

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-10-2019 07:02 AM

I don't think anyone questions his speed. He's one of the best soccer players in the state. And lets face it, Sanford isnt even basketball fast. Yet he's going to be recognized as one of the best players at that position in UT history.

Northview didn't play any top guards that I can see on their schedule. Guards around here usually mean 5'9" guys. Not a measure a college coach would use I don't imagine. What top guards we have are in lower divisions. I stick with what I wrote. He's in that Ryan Smith, Dakota Mathius category. Smith had a distinct role on Whitmer, which actually helped his recruiting. A very known quantity. West had to do a little bit of everything and maybe isn't seen as excelling at anything. He's a project but a project with very good grades earned in a system with a good educational reputation.

He will get D2. He needs to take a chance instead of waiting for someone to give him a chance if he wants P5. Or he hopes something opens up late mid-major, someone doesn't make grades and the scholly comes free. He's every bit as good as anyone Kampe brings in up in Oakland so anyone needing what this kid fits, will get someone who can give four years.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - DetroitRocket - 03-10-2019 07:51 AM

Don't think he's a DI point guard. DII for sure. 2G? Hundreds of coaches have seen him in the summer against top competition, but they do make mistakes. Surprised the Ivy League schools aren't offering.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-10-2019 08:34 AM

I put him in the Sanford category, who was only a point guard because we needed one and didn't have one but the opposite. West started out as a PG but his team needed a scorer so that became his role.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - rocketpaul - 03-10-2019 10:24 AM

Reading the Column I did not get the feeling from Briggs that he was chastising UT or BGSUCKS for not offering him. Sadly I did not see him play did not hear much about him and work a lot of Friday nights hope to take in more HS games next year.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-10-2019 10:45 AM

(03-10-2019 10:24 AM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Reading the Column I did not get the feeling from Briggs that he was chastising UT or BGSUCKS for not offering him. Sadly I did not see him play did not hear much about him and work a lot of Friday nights hope to take in more HS games next year.

BCSN believe it or not, is your friend. You can watch them on replay. Pick and choose but Northview-PBurg is available. I hope to watch the Notre Dame win over Canton McKinley. That wasn't supposed to happen. CM with 2, probably soon to be 3 time Ms. Basketball beaten by the team down the block. Start's wins over SFS and Whitmer are on there. Some VERY good basketball down that part of town. It's also where the Roger's coach came from I believe, Deveaux Jr High before getting the gig at Rogers.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - SylvaniaRocket - 03-10-2019 12:58 PM

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/high-school/2019/03/09/alek-west-top-northview-basketball-player-no-scholarship-offer-college/stories/20190309118

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - pono - 03-10-2019 08:48 PM

(03-10-2019 07:02 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  I don't think anyone questions his speed. He's one of the best soccer players in the state. And lets face it, Sanford isnt even basketball fast. Yet he's going to be recognized as one of the best players at that position in UT history.

I'm not calling him slow. I'm saying he looks a little chubby and slow and basketball recruiting tends to overlook those body types. the fact that he doesn't have an elite skill and "looks" on the surface like he might struggle with the high level athleticism is my guess to why schools are not offering. the comparison of sanford is a little off. sanford looks like a basketball player and has good athleticism. he does have a tendency to play controlled and not be instinctive and maximize his quickness. west looks just as fast in terms of on court change of direction speed.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - BearcatMan - 03-11-2019 01:13 PM

Northview's schedule was downright awful this year, and they had no real "showcase" environments, so his recruitment would be tied to AAU/off-season camps as that would be the only measure of his ability against worthwhile competition. Judging by his siblings, I'm guessing that some of that time was eaten up with soccer (rightfully so, the kid is incredibly gifted on the pitch)...so the lack of Division 1 interest is totally reasonable, especially considering his lack of high end athleticism or a consistent shot from deep (need one of those in today's game as a guard).

Many people see his points per game and wonder how he couldn't be recruited, but don't mention the likes of Colbert at Whitmer, Williams at Start, Wells at SFS, etc. etc. who are in the exact same situation, and doing it against stronger competition. Having watched those three quite a bit this year, it's laughable that they all don't have multiple Division 1 offers based on their abilities, size/speed combination, and potential. Any of them likely would've done as well, if not better, than West in the NLL this year (and don't even get me started on what Jackie Harris probably would've done to the NLL)...the opposite likely would not be true. Solid player, but not D1 material IMO.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-11-2019 03:18 PM

(03-10-2019 08:48 PM)pono Wrote:  
(03-10-2019 07:02 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  I don't think anyone questions his speed. He's one of the best soccer players in the state. And lets face it, Sanford isnt even basketball fast. Yet he's going to be recognized as one of the best players at that position in UT history.

I'm not calling him slow. I'm saying he looks a little chubby and slow

I don't know what the semantical difference is between "not calling him slow" and "looks ...slow" but a D1 recruit in soccer is probably neither and I've not seen either on the basketball court. Sanford as a high school senior did not look anymore a basketball player than West does now.

His recruitment is off because he did not display complete committment to b-ball. He hedged his bets and now he is where he is.

You need neither high end athletism nor a consistent deep shot to get recruited DI. As I wrote, West developed as a PG and he did what his team demanded of him. He is every bit as capable as several of the players on UT's team and others less capable. Surely Oakland. His boat got paddled by his hedging, that's it. Not his skills or any appearance of lack of skills.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - rkt - 03-12-2019 01:56 PM

Although I never say never, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that every D-1 coach around has made a mistake on this young man. Certainly his highlight videos are no help, showing only that he’s better than a bunch of small, slow suburban kids. Maybe he’ll light it up this summer and get a late offer. If not, with his apparent dedication, he could walk on somewhere and make all the other coaches regret they didn’t recruit him. It happens now and then, so it’s not impossible, just unlikely.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-12-2019 05:34 PM

(03-12-2019 01:56 PM)rkt Wrote:  Although I never say never, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that every D-1 coach around has made a mistake on this young man. Certainly his highlight videos are no help, showing only that he’s better than a bunch of small, slow suburban kids.

The slow suburban kids beat the Toledo area TRAC teams in almost every post season meeting. And they tend to have taller line-ups.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - rkt - 03-12-2019 08:10 PM

(03-12-2019 05:34 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 01:56 PM)rkt Wrote:  Although I never say never, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that every D-1 coach around has made a mistake on this young man. Certainly his highlight videos are no help, showing only that he’s better than a bunch of small, slow suburban kids.

The slow suburban kids beat the Toledo area TRAC teams in almost every post season meeting. And they tend to have taller line-ups.

You obviously think quite highly of him and I truly hope you’re right.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-12-2019 08:55 PM

(03-12-2019 08:10 PM)rkt Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 05:34 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

You obviously think quite highly of him and I truly hope you’re right.

I'm simply stating facts and things stated by the young man himself regarding his recruiting. I'm not providing an evaluation.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - pono - 03-12-2019 10:59 PM

(03-11-2019 03:18 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

I don't know what the semantical difference is between "not calling him slow" and "looks ...slow" but a D1 recruit in soccer is probably neither and I've not seen either on the basketball court. Sanford as a high school senior did not look anymore a basketball player than West does now.

His recruitment is off because he did not display complete committment to b-ball. He hedged his bets and now he is where he is.

You need neither high end athletism nor a consistent deep shot to get recruited DI. As I wrote, West developed as a PG and he did what his team demanded of him. He is every bit as capable as several of the players on UT's team and others less capable. Surely Oakland. His boat got paddled by his hedging, that's it. Not his skills or any appearance of lack of skills.
You may know more about west. My point is that looks play a role in recruiting. Maybe part of it is the perception he was equally interested in soccer, but the fact is the 6-4 kid with the basketball build who played at a high level of high school competition got a ton of offers. The 6-4 kid who looks kinda chubby and played at a mediocre level of high school competition got zero offers.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - eastisbest - 03-13-2019 03:36 AM

(03-12-2019 10:59 PM)pono Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 03:18 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

You may know more about west. My point is that looks play a role in recruiting. Maybe part of it is the perception he was equally interested in soccer, but the fact is the 6-4 kid with the basketball build who played at a high level of high school competition got a ton of offers. The 6-4 kid who looks kinda chubby and played at a mediocre level of high school competition got zero offers.

and my point is that no one would reasonably think the kid looks or is "chubby." He's a 6'4", 205lb college D1 soccer player. I simply google his name and looked at the images. I'm not seeing the fat flow. Do you have access to a particular video that gave you the impression that he is "chubby?" Be interesting to look at.

He played at the same level of competition and beat on the floor many others playing at the same level, same or similar schedules who are now playing on D1 college teams.

I think it unlikely a trail of D1 coaches went through his profile or watched his games and came away with that impression. I don't think yours is the reason he has no D1 b-ball offers. I see no reason to not trust the reasons stated in the various readings.

But we agree, the ball is in his court so to speak. If he wants to play D1 basketball he's probably long past the point anyone is coming to his door. He has to do something, take some chance to get noticed. Otherwise, he takes his D2 offer and gets on with life. I personally do not think he's a good fit for UT but not because of any skills evaluation. Our coach doesn't strike me a diamond in the rough guy, someone that will turn an unknown into a contributor. He disposes with the next recruit or transfer.

After watching many "Senior Day" games at both HS and College level, the emotion as the Seniors come off the floor, the lack of display as Sanford and Navigato came off seemed extremely cold. Maybe that's their collective personalities but at the time, he wasn't looking to me like someone that would be a good match for a kid with no offers, even if the skill is there.

RE: Northview's 6-4 Alek West - pono - 03-13-2019 04:58 AM

i admit to a slight anti-soccer bias, and maybe i saw some less flattering photos than you, will leave it up in the air on my end

your last point is interesting. coach k hasn't exactly molded guys from nobodies to stars, but he did take boothe and pearson from borderline mid major prospects with glaring deficiencies (boothe was fat-beyond chubby-and pearson couldn't shoot a lick) and helped them transform those weaknesses and grow into pros. not sure about how closeness or relationships fits into it. i don't see coach k as being either extreme - the heartless selfish coach who will throw a player under the bus or the father figure type players stay in touch with for the rest of their lives. he tends to gravitate toward recruits who are pretty mature, focused kids with academic interests and we've had a few teams that lacked enough passionate type guys. sanford has always been kinda aloof in his demeanor on the court, although he's said to be a likeable teammate off of it. i also think both of those kids are from pretty comfortable backgrounds so making it to college and graduating might not be as emotional of a thing as it is for a person who faced a lot more odds to get to that point.

if west is good enough and he commits himself to those unsigned showcase circuit over the next few months he will get offers. he can play a couple of positions, is a good student and has the size. Schools with a lot of player turnover post season reach deeper for recruits over the spring and early summer.