CSNbbs
Member perception by the fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Member perception by the fans (/thread-872039.html)

Pages: 1 2

Member perception by the fans - Lopes87 - 03-08-2019 11:32 AM

NMSU is good b/c they are a well established program that has FBS football body bag games

GCU is good only b/c of money

SU who has a similar budget gets a pass b/c of their academics

UVU plays the we don't have much support and we use what we have

Bake is the poorest of the Cal State schools

UMKC isn't committed but look how good this year in and year out losing program does

UTRGV is ok but now that they have improved they are a dirty team

Chicago St, lets give CSU a pass b/c of how poorly ran their school is and how very little they invest in anything but they have a nice arena they cant afford

CBU is a spitting image of GCU but we love them b/c they came to us as a non profit

Dixie St is cool b/c they have football and are going to give the WAC FCS level football and their other teams aren't bad.

RE: Member perception by the fans - ProfScott - 03-08-2019 01:31 PM

(03-08-2019 11:32 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  NMSU is good b/c they are a well established program that has FBS football body bag games

UMKC isn't committed but look how good this year in and year out losing program does

Chicago St, lets give CSU a pass b/c of how poorly ran their school is and how very little they invest in anything but they have a nice arena they cant afford

CBU is a spitting image of GCU but we love them b/c they came to us as a non profit

Dixie St is cool b/c they have football and are going to give the WAC FCS level football and their other teams aren't bad.
Sounds about right to me. However, not yet willing to place GCU in the "good" category yet until they actually win something.

RE: Member perception by the fans - Trod0 - 03-08-2019 01:40 PM

NMSU Established, tradition with continued success.

GCU Money and hype, with some success. Kinda like the rich kid trying to buy their way to the top.

SU Old tradition, trying to get back to their glory days.

UVU Up and coming, solid program, doing it the right way.

Bake Almost gone.

UMKC Confused.

UTRGV Gotten better but will never be at the top.

Chicago St Huge mess.

CBU GCU 2.0

Dixie St Never heard of her.

RE: Member perception by the fans - SoCalBobcat78 - 03-08-2019 02:51 PM

Another way to look at it is through the 2017-2018 basketball revenue numbers provided to the Department of Education:

Grand Canyon - $5,337,280
Seattle - $2,993,341
NMSU - $2,485,019
CSUB - $2,172,991
UVU - $1,861,238
UMKC - $1,859,426
CBU - $1,768,970
UTRGV - $1,589,120
Chicago State - $1,192,542
Dixie State - $890,080

GCU - Has a lot of money. They should have a better record.

Seattle - With their market and talent, they will be good someday.

NMSU - Is a basketball school that does well with what they have.

CSUB - Has a larger basketball budget than Cal State Fullerton.

UVU - Does well with the amount of money they get.

UMKC - They need to learn from UVU.

CBU - Their numbers are D2 numbers.

UTRGV - They struggle with basketball and they want to take on football?

CSU - Small budget, but their arena is paid for.

Dixie State - D2 numbers that will go up by 2020-2021.

RE: Member perception by the fans - TardisCaptain - 03-08-2019 03:04 PM

NMSU: Really wishes they could be in a conference with New Mexico or UTEP or both. Ok basketball. Football is body-bag games with only one good year. Will leave for the first FBS conference invite.

GCU: Lots of commercials on TV for their correspondence programs. OK with basketball because of money. Still trying to wash off the gunk from the for-profit status.

SU: Probably wishes they had never dropped down when they were still in the WCC. Wishes they could get back in (won't happen while Gonzaga runs the show). Needs a better basketball arena setup.

UVU: Keeps wondering why they don't get any recognition in Utah when the football playing schools get all the press. Lives in a very dark shadow. Just jazzed about finally being in an auto-bid conference.

Bake: Is heading to their dream conference. Doesn't care what happens in the WAC now. Is VERY thankful for UCSD.

UMKC: Is wondering if the WAC move was the right one. Eyeing any move to a more regional conference. Can they correct the ship?

UTRGV: Is doing what exactly? Is needing what exactly? Who are you again? Could be on an isolated island soon.

Chicago St: Still on shaky ground. Not in the WAC's long term plans. Hope this school can get things turned around and get an invite to a regional conference.

CBU: Another school that is jazzed about being on the show. Will stay for a while, but wouldn't turn down an invite to the Big West should that ever happen.

Dixie St: Has already scored a publicity touchdown in Utah with the announcement of the WAC invite. Getting ready to surpass standing still UVU in recognition. Is on future football schedules for BYU, Colorado State and Big Sky schools.

RE: Member perception by the fans - edinburger - 03-08-2019 03:48 PM

NMSU The whale badly in need of a harpoon.

GCU Kind of like an Italian sports car. Expensive, very impressive when it's working, sometimes won't start in the morning.

SU Bandages and braces, reminds me of a pharmacy.

UVU A tough team.

Bake Deserters. Pretty good team but still deserters.

UMKC Seem snakebit, about like UTRGV was a couple years ago.

UTRGV Hey Trod0, we don't need to be at the top. We just need to beat you.

Chicago St Not good, but better than their record. As we found out last week.

CBU Honestly I'm straight up impressed. Thought there'd be a longer learning curve.

Dixie St Who knows.

RE: Member perception by the fans - PojoaquePosse - 03-08-2019 07:05 PM

NMSU Storied basketball tradition. Sustained success.

GCU Lots of money and tons of potential.

SU Basketball tradition. I hope Hayford is able to keep the upward trajectory.

UVU Solid coach and solid team.

Bako Made some noise in the WAC during their brief membership. I hate to lose any members.

UMKC Cannot seem to get the ship pointed in the right direction. Very up and down season, but glad they had some ups.

UTRGV Was really happy that they were having a good season until they decided to become goons.

Chicago St I agree that they are not good, but better than their record. They break my heart and I want nothing more than for them to get better.

CBU Impressive start to D1 although they are right about where I expected them to be this year. I did not expect they would beat NMSU.

Dixie St I know nothing about them. I have learned much about our WAC brethren from this very site. Hope to learn more about Dixie State from this very site.

RE: Member perception by the fans - HawaiiMongoose - 03-09-2019 10:44 AM

LOL. Great thread. It's obviously a tiny sample but just the fact that the WAC is drawing enough interest for a group of fans to post smart funny stuff on a message board is good news for the health of the conference. And the trend is definitely in the right direction.

Carry on folks!

RE: Member perception by the fans - PojoaquePosse - 03-09-2019 11:00 AM

(03-08-2019 03:04 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  NMSU: Really wishes they could be in a conference with New Mexico or UTEP or both. Ok basketball. Football is body-bag games with only one good year. Will leave for the first FBS conference invite.

I know this is a thread on people’s perceptions, so it’s just opinions. But I can tell you NMSU does not “wish” to be in a conference with NuM or the Minors. We want to be in an FBS conference. Our preference, in order is:

1) MWC
2) Conference USA
3) Sunbelt

The fact that NUM and the Minors are in those conferences is a coincidence. Because of their proximity to us, they will always be our rivals. In fact, I don’t think we have ever been in a conference with either of them.

“Ok basketball”?

RE: Member perception by the fans - NMSUPistolPete - 03-09-2019 11:46 AM

(03-09-2019 11:00 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 03:04 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  NMSU: Really wishes they could be in a conference with New Mexico or UTEP or both. Ok basketball. Football is body-bag games with only one good year. Will leave for the first FBS conference invite.

I know this is a thread on people’s perceptions, so it’s just opinions. But I can tell you NMSU does not “wish” to be in a conference with NuM or the Minors. We want to be in an FBS conference. Our preference, in order is:

1) MWC
2) Conference USA
3) Sunbelt

The fact that NUM and the Minors are in those conferences is a coincidence. Because of their proximity to us, they will always be our rivals. In fact, I don’t think we have ever been in a conference with either of them.

“Ok basketball”?

New Mexico State (then New Mexico A&M) was in the Border Conference with both the University of New Mexico and UT El Paso (then Texas Mines) from 1935 to 1951.
The founding members of the Border Conference were Arizona State, University of Arizona, Northern Arizona, New Mexico, and New Mexico State. They later added Texas Tech, UTEP, Hardin Simmons, and West Texas A&M before the Conference completely disbanded in 1961.

Border Conference

RE: Member perception by the fans - dancingNMSUaggie - 03-12-2019 09:13 AM

(03-08-2019 01:31 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 11:32 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  NMSU is good b/c they are a well established program that has FBS football body bag games

Sounds about right to me. However, not yet willing to place GCU in the "good" category yet until they actually win something.

ProfScot. You beat me to it. I guess for some GCU fans "good" is two 3rd place finishes in a row in a 9 team conference.

RE: Member perception by the fans - dancingNMSUaggie - 03-12-2019 09:40 AM

(03-08-2019 11:32 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  NMSU Have been good for a long long time. Tradition. Dominates WAC but NMSU fans want NCAA tournament wins now

GCU Lots of hype, lots of money, underachievers, have a famous ex-NBA orange thin skinned coach that blames the players for all losses

SU Was very good about the time the Pharaohs were ruling in Egypt. Now they play in a middle school gym and soon in an empty giant NBA arena

UVU plays in the shadow of BYU and Utah State, solid program, solid coach, need fans that are true Utah Valley fans, not BYU or Utah State. A Utah Valley grad is the adminstrator of the Utah State message board BTW

Bake The self proclaimed "hottest coach in basketball" can't win any more games, ugly gym with the ugliest floor in college basketball. Don't let the door hit you when you leave.

UMKC Went from playing in a historical basketball arena to a junior high school gym. Have 5 drunk paid fans that make the one Seattle fan very very angry

UTRGV Awful university name that is too long, play in an empty high school gym, thug coach, thug players, Utep hand me downs

Chicago St, Nice arena but should be playing d2 basketball

CBU Really christian, really affordable and really non profit

Dixie St Lost to NM Highlands in their conference post season tournament. Yikes.

RE: Member perception by the fans - TardisCaptain - 03-12-2019 02:28 PM

(03-09-2019 11:00 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

1) MWC
2) Conference USA
3) Sunbelt

“Ok basketball”?

Ok as in I know NMSU isn't going to be a push over when I see them on the basketball schedule.

RE: Member perception by the fans - SeattleVandals - 03-14-2019 02:06 AM

To posts above, weren't UNM and UTEP both in the WAC just a clue years before NMSU joined? No idea before then, but Aggies, Utah State, and Idaho all were "replacements" for their regional rivals leaving the WAC (sort of for Idaho/BSU)

RE: Member perception by the fans - AuzGrams - 03-14-2019 04:20 AM

(03-08-2019 01:40 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  NMSU Established, tradition with continued success.

GCU Money and hype, with some success. Kinda like the rich kid trying to buy their way to the top.

Bake Almost gone.

UMKC Confused.

Chicago St Huge mess.

CBU GCU 2.0

Agree with everything besides CBU & Dixie State. Dixie State has potential I think with the St. George area & not being too far from Vegas, I think they'll outperform & outrecruit Southern Utah pretty quickly.

RE: Member perception by the fans - PojoaquePosse - 03-14-2019 09:07 AM

(03-14-2019 02:06 AM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  To posts above, weren't UNM and UTEP both in the WAC just a clue years before NMSU joined? No idea before then, but Aggies, Utah State, and Idaho all were "replacements" for their regional rivals leaving the WAC (sort of for Idaho/BSU)

Yes they were. My "rebuttal" was that NMSU is not seeking to be in a conference with our rivals. We are seeking to be in a stable FBS conference, period. If a rival happens to be in that conference as well, that is just fine.

RE: Member perception by the fans - Trod0 - 03-15-2019 02:19 PM

(03-14-2019 04:20 AM)AuzGrams Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 01:40 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  NMSU Established, tradition with continued success.

Bake Almost gone.

UMKC Confused.

Chicago St Huge mess.

CBU GCU 2.0

Agree with everything besides CBU & Dixie State. Dixie State has potential I think with the St. George area & not being too far from Vegas, I think they'll outperform & outrecruit Southern Utah pretty quickly.

Honestly by their name I thought Dixie st was from the south. Well let’s hope they outperform and out recruit southern Utah because I’ve never heard of them either.

RE: Member perception by the fans - ProfScott - 03-15-2019 05:52 PM

(03-12-2019 09:40 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 11:32 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  NMSU Have been good for a long long time. Tradition. Dominates WAC but NMSU fans want NCAA tournament wins now

GCU Lots of hype, lots of money, underachievers, have a famous ex-NBA orange thin skinned coach that blames the players for all losses

SU Was very good about the time the Pharaohs were ruling in Egypt. Now they play in a middle school gym and soon in an empty giant NBA arena

UVU plays in the shadow of BYU and Utah State, solid program, solid coach, need fans that are true Utah Valley fans, not BYU or Utah State. A Utah Valley grad is the adminstrator of the Utah State message board BTW

Bake The self proclaimed "hottest coach in basketball" can't win any more games, ugly gym with the ugliest floor in college basketball. Don't let the door hit you when you leave.

UMKC Went from playing in a historical basketball arena to a junior high school gym. Have 5 drunk paid fans that make the one Seattle fan very very angry

UTRGV Awful university name that is too long, play in an empty high school gym, thug coach, thug players, Utep hand me downs

Dixie St Lost to NM Highlands in their conference post season tournament. Yikes.
Funny comments on each school here Dancing. However, CBU's tuition ($33,000/year) is more than double that of GCU ($16,500/year) so the affordable comment is not accurate. As for the "really Christian" comment, it depends on how you interpret the purpose of each university. GCU welcomes non-Christians as students so not all students are Christians. I am not sure whether or not CBU requires all students to be Christian. Does anyone know?

RE: Member perception by the fans - Art Vandaley - 03-15-2019 08:08 PM

I looked into applying for a faculty job there about ten years ago and quit half way through the application process as the declarations I had to make about Jesus were very very over the top. So, my guess is there are very few non Christians going there.

RE: Member perception by the fans - RunnerBall - 03-19-2019 02:03 PM

(03-15-2019 05:52 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 09:40 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  

Funny comments on each school here Dancing. However, CBU's tuition ($33,000/year) is more than double that of GCU ($16,500/year) so the affordable comment is not accurate. As for the "really Christian" comment, it depends on how you interpret the purpose of each university. GCU welcomes non-Christians as students so not all students are Christians. I am not sure whether or not CBU requires all students to be Christian. Does anyone know?

Don't know about CBU, but my sister went to Fresno Pacific in the early 80s. There were non-Christians there.