CSNbbs
Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year (/thread-871099.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - billybobby777 - 02-22-2019 07:36 PM

Does any FBS school play 8 home games other than Hawaii in 2019? I see Arkansas with all home games OOC but I think they have a neutral thrown in giving them 7 true home games..same with Bamer.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Attackcoog - 02-22-2019 07:37 PM

(02-22-2019 07:36 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Does any FBS school play 8 home games other than Hawaii in 2019? I see Arkansas with all home games OOC but I think they have a neutral thrown in giving them 7 true home games..same with Bamer.

Maybe someone like Bama. It would have to be someone who can afford 4 buy games.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - IWokeUpLikeThis - 02-22-2019 07:40 PM

Hosting Arizona will add some cache to Week 0.

Remember when Hawai’i used to host B1G teams like Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc?

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - ken d - 02-22-2019 08:56 PM

Hawaii plays 8 home games and 5 away games.

Kentucky and Tennessee both play 8 home games and 4 away games.

No other FBS teams have 8 home games.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - RutgersGuy - 02-22-2019 10:47 PM

(02-22-2019 07:36 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Does any FBS school play 8 home games other than Hawaii in 2019? I see Arkansas with all home games OOC but I think they have a neutral thrown in giving them 7 true home games..same with Bamer.

Teams who travel to Hawaii get a extra game in the season as an incentive to schedule Hawaii. Sooooo lots of schools see an upside in going to play the Rainbow Warriors especially in the early part of the season.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - HawaiiMongoose - 02-23-2019 03:12 AM

(02-22-2019 10:47 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

Teams who travel to Hawaii get a extra game in the season as an incentive to schedule Hawaii. Sooooo lots of schools see an upside in going to play the Rainbow Warriors especially in the early part of the season.

The Hawaii exemption isn't nearly as much of an inducement as it seems. Next season's schedule is just a fluke. Those home games have to be returned and in 2021 UH will play only 6 home games and 7 road games. I believe it will be the first time in program history that UH will make 7 road trips in a season and it will be a killer. If the Hawaii exemption were so popular that would never happen.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Stugray2 - 02-23-2019 04:09 AM

There is a really good chance this advantage will be squandered. Unless they pull an upset they might be 1-5 when Air Force flies into the Islands.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - templefootballfan - 02-23-2019 06:21 AM

this is why Hawaii & Hous work for Pac12
with extra games,
Pac could sell 3rd 22 game TV package

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - ken d - 02-23-2019 08:48 AM

(02-22-2019 10:47 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

But of the 8 teams traveling to Hawaii this year, only Army will use the exemption to play a 13th game. They will do so because they get an additional bye week before the season ending Navy game.

Because Labor Day falls on 9/2 this year, Saturday of Week 1 is August 31st. The other 7 eligible for the Hawaii exemption have opted to have a second bye week instead of a 13th game.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - DoubleRSU - 02-23-2019 10:38 AM

(02-23-2019 06:21 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  this is why Hawaii & Hous work for Pac12
with extra games,
Pac could sell 3rd 22 game TV package

The Pac12 can’t even sell its own network and you think adding Hawaii and Houston will help that? The Pac12 is the worst P5 conference by most metrics. Adding teams like Hawaii and Houston won’t fix that.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - BePcr07 - 02-23-2019 12:34 PM

I've wondered why, since the Hawaii rule came into play, that Hawaii doesn't feel compelled to play as an independent and schedule 12 home games? They wouldn't need a 13th since they wouldn't leave the islands and travelling to Hawaii would be a fun trip (though far) for any school but would allow for a 13th game.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - ken d - 02-23-2019 12:56 PM

(02-23-2019 12:34 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I've wondered why, since the Hawaii rule came into play, that Hawaii doesn't feel compelled to play as an independent and schedule 12 home games? They wouldn't need a 13th since they wouldn't leave the islands and travelling to Hawaii would be a fun trip (though far) for any school but would allow for a 13th game.

Apparently, it isn't as easy to convince schools to travel to Hawaii without a return game as one might think. I've suggested that the MWC strike a deal with Hawaii to do essentially what you said. Have every member play OOC @Hawaii each year, and virtually own Week Zero and the exposure that could provide the league.

With no competitition from either the NFL or the rest of the FBS for the attention of football starved fans , the MWC could showcase every team in the league in attractive viewing windows on Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Week Zero.

Make it so!

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - DoubleRSU - 02-23-2019 02:11 PM

(02-23-2019 12:34 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I've wondered why, since the Hawaii rule came into play, that Hawaii doesn't feel compelled to play as an independent and schedule 12 home games? They wouldn't need a 13th since they wouldn't leave the islands and travelling to Hawaii would be a fun trip (though far) for any school but would allow for a 13th game.

Look at how BYU independence has worked out for them. Lucky to get to 6-6, crappy bowls, no conference championships to compete for. How would it be any better for Hawaii? There’s no way Hawaii would get 12 home games in a season anyway.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Kit-Cat - 02-23-2019 02:20 PM

(02-23-2019 02:11 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Look at how BYU independence has worked out for them. Lucky to get to 6-6, crappy bowls, no conference championships to compete for. How would it be any better for Hawaii? There’s no way Hawaii would get 12 home games in a season anyway.

Hawaii would be I think very happy with 6-6 and a crappy bowl.

Better than now which is nothing.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Stugray2 - 02-23-2019 03:46 PM

DoubleRSU,

BYU lacks the right coaching staff. If they get it in place by 2021 look at the potential for a New Years Bowl.

They have 7 Power schools, plus USF and Boise State, and even Utah State. BTW, show me a G5 conference that can give them a schedule like that with neutral site Las Vegas with Uof A, home games of Utah, ASU, UVa, Boise State and USF. That has serious value for ESPN. Road games at Utah State and Washington State they will bring a lot of fans.

09/02 - vs Arizona (in Las Vegas, NV)
09/11 - Utah
09/18 - Arizona State
09/24 - USF
10/01 - at Utah State
10/09 - Boise State
10/16 - at Baylor
10/23 - at Washington State
10/30 - Virginia
11/20 - at Georgia Southern
11/27 - at USC

I don't think from a management perspective it has been a problem. The problem has been a failure to execute. You could say the same thing of Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, Minnesota and host of other schools who have similar chances via good schedule but bring home 6-6 type records. The problem BYU has is not schedule, now that enough years have passed that Holmoe can set up some years like this, rather the execution of the team and coaching staff. I think they have to seriously look at hiring a non-LDS HC and recruiter.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - HawaiiMongoose - 02-23-2019 03:46 PM

After conference play begins it's unlikely an independent UH would get any home games except against other independents. Coaches hate the long trip because it usually detracts from their team's play the following week. They don't want to deal with that disadvantage when competing for a conference title.

Moreover the emergence of conference championship games, the establishment of the CFP and the disproportionate impact of late season performance on CFP rankings have given opponents more reasons to shun traveling to the Islands after early October. It's fortunate for UH that coaches in the MWC don't have a choice.

Although the benefits of the Hawaii exemption still convince non-independent opponents to make the long trek to Aloha Stadium, in recent years that has only been true for early season games. The days of a Michigan State, Alabama or Wisconsin finishing up the regular season with a "bonus game" in sunny Honolulu are long over.

That's why I'm convinced that whatever short-term monetary benefits UH might garner from playing as an independent would be more than outweighed by the negative impact on game scheduling. Lacking a conference affiliation to ensure a reasonable balance of home and away contests and a consistent slate of quality opponents, I think UH's fan support and recruiting would both suffer, ultimately putting the survival of the program at risk. And there's no hint the UH administration thinks otherwise.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - Stugray2 - 02-23-2019 04:03 PM

UH lacks the resources of BYU and Liberty to sustain Independence at any quality level. They play too late for any TV value, so revenue will be minimal.

UH needs to stay in the Mountain West. They get opponents of similar level, and from the West, builds in the last 8 games of the season. Why anyone thinks Independence would be better I have no clue.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - ken d - 02-23-2019 04:29 PM

BYU's recent problems aren't the result of being independent. In their first six years of independence they never won fewer than 8 games. It could just be that their most recent coaching hire is the cause of their decline in the last two seasons.

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - billybobby777 - 02-23-2019 09:17 PM

(02-23-2019 03:46 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

After conference play begins it's unlikely an independent UH would get any home games except against other independents. Coaches hate the long trip because it usually detracts from their team's play the following week. They don't want to deal with that disadvantage when competing for a conference title.

Moreover the emergence of conference championship games, the establishment of the CFP and the disproportionate impact of late season performance on CFP rankings have given opponents more reasons to shun traveling to the Islands after early October. It's fortunate for UH that coaches in the MWC don't have a choice.

Although the benefits of the Hawaii exemption still convince non-independent opponents to make the long trek to Aloha Stadium, in recent years that has only been true for early season games. The days of a Michigan State, Alabama or Wisconsin finishing up the regular season with a "bonus game" in sunny Honolulu are long over.

That's why I'm convinced that whatever short-term monetary benefits UH might garner from playing as an independent would be more than outweighed by the negative impact on game scheduling. Lacking a conference affiliation to ensure a reasonable balance of home and away contests and a consistent slate of quality opponents, I think UH's fan support and recruiting would both suffer, ultimately putting the survival of the program at risk. And there's no hint the UH administration thinks otherwise.

I remember Iowa getting that bonus game in Hawaii during the awesome Hayden Fry era....and losing to Hawaii lol. It’s not an automatic win at all

RE: Hawaii plays 8 home games this year - billybobby777 - 02-23-2019 09:24 PM

(02-23-2019 04:03 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UH lacks the resources of BYU and Liberty to sustain Independence at any quality level. They play too late for any TV value, so revenue will be minimal.

UH needs to stay in the Mountain West. They get opponents of similar level, and from the West, builds in the last 8 games of the season. Why anyone thinks Independence would be better I have no clue.

Plus they have long term rivals with their MWC Pacific opponents going back from the WAC and before that the Big West days. I’ve always thought if they’d get hot for a few years that the PAC 12 would consider them for the 13th game and recruiting purposes. They are a flagship and a tier 1 research school