CSNbbs
WAC basketball week 16 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: WAC basketball week 16 (/thread-870788.html)

Pages: 1 2

WAC basketball week 16 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-18-2019 10:32 PM

Despite GCU going 1-1 last week, Michael Finke has been selected WAC POTW.

This weeks games...

Tuesday...
Wayland Baptist @ UT Rio Grande Valley
Texas A&M International @ New Mexico State

Thursday...
Cal Baptist @ Grand Canyon
Chicago State @ Utah Valley
UM Kansas City @ Seattle U

Saturday...
UT Rio Grande Valley @ New Mexico State
UM Kansas City @ Utah Valley
Cal Baptist @ Cal State Bakersfield
Chicago State @ Seattle U

At this point, in my opinion three seeds have already been established for the WAC Tournament... New Mexico State will be the #1 seed, Seattle U will be the #7 seed and Chicago State will be the #8 seed. The battle is for seeds #2 thru #6. Once healthy, I don't think anyone wants to meet Seattle U in the first round; so the #2 seed might be in a trap game.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-20-2019 02:44 AM

New Mexico State and UT Rio Grande Valley win easily against D2 opponents tonight.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Todor - 02-20-2019 03:51 AM

I hope the Aggies play better this Saturday or they won't beat RGV. Not sure how the Vaqs react to their recent loss. I'm sure they're anxious for another whack at NMSU after the last round!

But before we get to Saturdays games, I think GCU and Seattle both handle their respective visitors, but both seem like good games. Cal Baps first visit to Havocville lol.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - edinburger - 02-20-2019 09:14 AM

(02-20-2019 02:44 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  New Mexico State and UT Rio Grande Valley win easily against D2 opponents tonight.

Didn't watch the Wayland Baptist game, but the box score says we allowed 10 steals. Seems kind of high.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - SoCalBobcat78 - 02-21-2019 06:21 PM

The latest NCAA Tournament projections from Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has NMSU as a #13 seed playing #4 Texas Tech in Salt Lake City. Seems like a good matchup for NMSU. Some other interesting projections have my school, Texas State, playing Houston in the first round. I like that matchup. UCI is projected to play Iowa and Nevada to take on Yale.

CBU is 14-10 and needs two wins in the last six games to end up with a winning record. Hopefully, they get one tonight at GCU. Speaking of GCU, it is all about the WAC Tournament for them. I see no real advantage in being a #2 seed, especially since the #7 seed is likely to be Seattle. The #4 seed might be the best spot for them, because if they win their first round game, they would get NMSU in the 2nd round. This is the matchup that they need to get past and they just as well get it over with in the 2nd round.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-22-2019 02:06 AM

(02-21-2019 06:21 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The latest NCAA Tournament projections from Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has NMSU as a #13 seed playing #4 Texas Tech in Salt Lake City. Seems like a good matchup for NMSU. Some other interesting projections have my school, Texas State, playing Houston in the first round. I like that matchup. UCI is projected to play Iowa and Nevada to take on Yale.

CBU is 14-10 and needs two wins in the last six games to end up with a winning record. Hopefully, they get one tonight at GCU. Speaking of GCU, it is all about the WAC Tournament for them. I see no real advantage in being a #2 seed, especially since the #7 seed is likely to be Seattle. The #4 seed might be the best spot for them, because if they win their first round game, they would get NMSU in the 2nd round. This is the matchup that they need to get past and they just as well get it over with in the 2nd round.

The #3 seed is probably the best seed to not meet Seattle in the 1st round and not meet New Mexico State until possibly the Championship game. There is no need to meet NMSU prior to then. Right now Utah Valley hold the #3 seed however they still have a meeting with GCU in Orem which could move them up to the #2 seed.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - ProfScott - 02-22-2019 11:23 AM

(02-22-2019 02:06 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 06:21 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The latest NCAA Tournament projections from Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has NMSU as a #13 seed playing #4 Texas Tech in Salt Lake City. Seems like a good matchup for NMSU. Some other interesting projections have my school, Texas State, playing Houston in the first round. I like that matchup. UCI is projected to play Iowa and Nevada to take on Yale.

The #3 seed is probably the best seed to not meet Seattle in the 1st round and not meet New Mexico State until possibly the Championship game. There is no need to meet NMSU prior to then. Right now Utah Valley hold the #3 seed however they still have a meeting with GCU in Orem which could move them up to the #2 seed.
In terms of GCU, I believe we would rather meet a fully healthy Seattle team in the first round. GCU does not do as well against teams that play in your face defense (UTRGV, UMKC) and have a scrappy under 6 foot point guard (Levi, Bishop). In my opinion, GCU matches up best against Seattle's and Utah Valley's style of play. Thus my ideal would be Seattle in the first round, Utah Valley in the second, and then pray we have a great game against an obviously better NMSU team to take home the tournament championship. If we play UMKC or UTRGV, I can see us flaming out way ahead of the tournament final.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - SoCalBobcat78 - 02-22-2019 11:59 AM

(02-22-2019 02:06 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

I agree about the seeding. But for GCU, the WAC Tournament is about beating New Mexico State. GCU is 2-11 versus NMSU, with five straight losses. They know they have to beat the Aggies to win a WAC Championship and get to the NCAA Tournament. GCU has the talent to win, but NMSU looks like the tougher team mentally and physically. At some point, GCU has to match their toughness. The sooner, the better. If they are going to lose to NMSU, it doesn't really matter in which round. There is no award for second best.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - SeattleVandals - 02-22-2019 05:24 PM

Morgan Means crippling slump ended (for a night) against UMKC. Interesting to see how Matej Kavas and Delante Jones came off the bench in limited minutes in their return from injury. The win was led by true freshman Riley Grigsby (it's insane how good he is getting, watch out) and other guys who had been playing during this injury stretch.

Man, it felt good to win again. I know it's UMKC but they are off of two straight wins vs GCU and CSUB. Probably too big of a hole to climb out of for SU to get the 6-seed and likely will play the #2.

I think they go 3-2 or 4-1 the rest of the way (14-12, 2-9 right now). Huge test vs UVU on Tuesday, who they almost beat even when injured on the road

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - gleadley - 02-22-2019 06:19 PM

(02-22-2019 05:24 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Morgan Means crippling slump ended (for a night) against UMKC. Interesting to see how Matej Kavas and Delante Jones came off the bench in limited minutes in their return from injury. The win was led by true freshman Riley Grigsby (it's insane how good he is getting, watch out) and other guys who had been playing during this injury stretch.

Man, it felt good to win again. I know it's UMKC but they are off of two straight wins vs GCU and CSUB. Probably too big of a hole to climb out of for SU to get the 6-seed and likely will play the #2.

I think they go 3-2 or 4-1 the rest of the way (14-12, 2-9 right now). Huge test vs UVU on Tuesday, who they almost beat even when injured on the road

Have you typed a sentence without the word "injured" or "injury" in the last two months? Not trying to be a jerk, but we get it... 03-banghead

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - NotANewbie - 02-22-2019 08:38 PM

(02-22-2019 06:19 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 05:24 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Morgan Means crippling slump ended (for a night) against UMKC. Interesting to see how Matej Kavas and Delante Jones came off the bench in limited minutes in their return from injury. The win was led by true freshman Riley Grigsby (it's insane how good he is getting, watch out) and other guys who had been playing during this injury stretch.

Have you typed a sentence without the word "injured" or "injury" in the last two months? Not trying to be a jerk, but we get it... 03-banghead

In other words, are you saying it's time for some new vocabulary?COGS

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Todor - 02-23-2019 09:31 PM

(02-22-2019 06:19 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Well, to be fair, everything about their season hinges on those injuries. They started out 12-3 with wins over 2 Pac 12 teams and realistic hopes of being at the top of the conference at one point, because of said injuries, their season did a 180 and they dropped about 9 out of 10 games. But since many, if not all of the injuries are not season ending, when certain players can return is very relevant. I don't think he's merely lamenting the fact that someone got hurt a ling time ago. It's more than that because a lot of these players are returning.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Trod0 - 02-23-2019 09:59 PM

Rio Grande valley is a dirty ass team.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - edinburger - 02-23-2019 11:11 PM

(02-23-2019 09:59 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  Rio Grande valley is a dirty ass team.

Only got to see the first 15 minutes. What did we do that was "dirty ass"?

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Trod0 - 02-23-2019 11:37 PM

They did a few plays like this, hacking our players Unnecessarily when they got beat down low. It’s one thing to play hard and give a good foul but another doing intentional stuff. They had multiple technicals in the game and this kid got kicked out. Even the coach trying to fight Jans. I get the point to where you guys want to beat us but this is uncalled for.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyMorganTV/status/1099474844578648064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1099475776070656000&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fnew-mexico-state%2FBoard%2F103615%2FContents%2FRio-Game-Thread-129421360%2F%3FPage%3D2

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - MidWestMidMajor - 02-24-2019 12:25 AM

CBU defeats CSU-B 72 to 58 in Bakersfield on Senior night. And it wasn't that close. CBU was up by 23 points with 5 minutes to go, then just ran out the clock. CBU had a guy hit 6 three-pointers and score 28 overall. CBU held the lead for 96% of the game. CSU-B never had a lead. CBU out rebounded and scored more in the paint.

For a 1st year d1 school, CBU impresses me.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Vaqueronation - 02-24-2019 01:13 AM

(02-23-2019 11:37 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  They did a few plays like this, hacking our players Unnecessarily when they got beat down low. It’s one thing to play hard and give a good foul but another doing intentional stuff. They had multiple technicals in the game and this kid got kicked out. Even the coach trying to fight Jans. I get the point to where you guys want to beat us but this is uncalled for.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyMorganTV/status/1099474844578648064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1099475776070656000&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fnew-mexico-state%2FBoard%2F103615%2FContents%2FRio-Game-Thread-129421360%2F%3FPage%3D2

It did look bad from that angle. Either way I say Hack Away!

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - RunnerBall - 02-24-2019 01:32 AM

(02-24-2019 12:25 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  CBU defeats CSU-B 72 to 58 in Bakersfield on Senior night. And it wasn't that close. CBU was up by 23 points with 5 minutes to go, then just ran out the clock. CBU had a guy hit 6 three-pointers and score 28 overall. CBU held the lead for 96% of the game. CSU-B never had a lead. CBU out rebounded and scored more in the paint.

You mean CSUB? (Nobody uses the hyphen.)
Yah, the 'Runners are circling the drain. Inconsistent play seems to be a hallmark of the Barnes era. It amazes me sometimes how, earlier in the year we found grit to grind out some good wins early, and even had NMSU on the ropes with what, 40 seconds to go? Then other games, seem to play lost and uninspired.

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - Todor - 02-24-2019 03:45 AM

(02-24-2019 01:32 AM)RunnerBall Wrote:  
(02-24-2019 12:25 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  CBU defeats CSU-B 72 to 58 in Bakersfield on Senior night. And it wasn't that close. CBU was up by 23 points with 5 minutes to go, then just ran out the clock. CBU had a guy hit 6 three-pointers and score 28 overall. CBU held the lead for 96% of the game. CSU-B never had a lead. CBU out rebounded and scored more in the paint.

You mean CSUB? (Nobody uses the hyphen.)
Yah, the 'Runners are circling the drain. Inconsistent play seems to be a hallmark of the Barnes era. It amazes me sometimes how, earlier in the year we found grit to grind out some good wins early, and even had NMSU on the ropes with what, 40 seconds to go? Then other games, seem to play lost and uninspired.

Cal Bap is having a very nice first year, I must say. They were successful in recent D 2 history, but some move ups take many seasons to even approach .500. Good add for the WAC!

RE: WAC basketball week 16 - MidWestMidMajor - 02-24-2019 08:25 AM

(02-24-2019 01:32 AM)RunnerBall Wrote:  Yah, the 'Runners are circling the drain. Inconsistent play seems to be a hallmark of the Barnes era. It amazes me sometimes how, earlier in the year we found grit to grind out some good wins early, and even had NMSU on the ropes with what, 40 seconds to go? Then other games, seem to play lost and uninspired.

One stat that stood out is CBU has 13 assists and CSUB only had 5. It suggests that CBU was sharing the ball well and CSUB tended to try and create on their own. Those 8 extra assists x 2 points each = 16 points and that's pretty much the difference in the game.