CSNbbs
College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) (/thread-870525.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - mptnstr@44 - 03-31-2019 10:03 AM

(03-31-2019 09:45 AM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  Question: Based on their college "personalities", did anyone think Gino or NVE would be successful coaches in their adult years?

Because of someone's personality at 20-22 years old that disqualifies them from certain positions for the rest of their lives? Most people grow and change from who they were 22 years old.

President Bush was an admitted drunk in his 20s yet he became president.
Barack Obama was an admitted drug user in his teens and 20s yet he became president. Shouldn't their behavior in their teens and 20s have disqualified them?

Not saying NVE should be UC's next coach but you are really reaching to disqualify NVE based on his "personality" in his 20s before he's even given consideration.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - dsquare - 03-31-2019 10:42 AM

I love this stuff. Let the games begin!

Tyler Fanning's picture Tyler Fanning | 13 hours 12 min #

The Tech Lunch Pail
@techlunchpaild
Tired: Flight from near College Station to Blacksburg sparks more rumors about Buzz to A&M

Wired: Flight from Waukesha, WI (25 min from Marquette, home of HC Steve Wojociehowski) to Roanoke this afternoon #FlightTrackerSeason #Hokies

10:25 PM - Mar 30, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See The Tech Lunch Pail's other Tweets
Steal another Marquette coach??

Lot of priceless comments on Mick. http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2019/march/30/hokies-basketball-coach-search

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - Romell Shorter - 03-31-2019 11:44 AM

(03-31-2019 10:03 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(03-31-2019 09:45 AM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  Question: Based on their college "personalities", did anyone think Gino or NVE would be successful coaches in their adult years?

Because of someone's personality at 20-22 years old that disqualifies them from certain positions for the rest of their lives? Most people grow and change from who they were 22 years old.

President Bush was an admitted drunk in his 20s yet he became president.
Barack Obama was an admitted drug user in his teens and 20s yet he became president. Shouldn't their behavior in their teens and 20s have disqualified them?

Not saying NVE should be UC's next coach but you are really reaching to disqualify NVE based on his "personality" in his 20s before he's even given consideration.
Been watching re-runs of FRASIER on netflix. Nice way to bring George Bush into your long post. Was simply looking for a yes, no or defitely surprised. Like I said "personalties", I didn't bring up the negative like you did. I met both a few times. Good guys but different types of cats - no pun intended - back in the day.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - @ES Trader - 03-31-2019 05:01 PM

(03-31-2019 10:42 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I love this stuff. Let the games begin!

The Tech Lunch Pail
@techlunchpaild
Tired: Flight from near College Station to Blacksburg sparks more rumors about Buzz to A&M

Wired: Flight from Waukesha, WI (25 min from Marquette, home of HC Steve Wojociehowski) to Roanoke this afternoon #FlightTrackerSeason #Hokies

Lot of priceless comments on Mick. http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2019/march/30/hokies-basketball-coach-search

Out of all those post seems only 2 people could put up with a Cronin hire. Youre up Mr Cinci.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - skyblade - 03-31-2019 05:55 PM

(03-31-2019 05:01 PM)@ES Trader Wrote:  
(03-31-2019 10:42 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I love this stuff. Let the games begin!

The Tech Lunch Pail
@techlunchpaild

Out of all those post seems only 2 people could put up with a Cronin hire. Youre up Mr Cinci.

Honestly, on that list Cronin is probably the 2nd best choice and they aren't getting the best (Marshall), they might not be getting Cronin either.

Mike Young as I said earlier has 16 years in a smaller conference with 5 NCAA tournament appearances and never made it past the 2nd round.

Kevin Willard's first nine years look like a slightly worse version of Cronin's first 9 years. He took one year longer to make it to the NCAA tournament, has a worse record and hasn't done as well in the NCAA tournament.

Mike Rhoades hasn't really done much of anything. In 16 years of coaching he's been to 5 NCAA tournaments. Two sweet 16's to show for it.

Ryan Odam, don't think they are actually serious with that one.

There are a couple of good names on other lists, Matt McMahon of Murray State or Johnny Dawkins (though like Greg Marshall I'm not sure they could get him either).

Just not that many good candidates out there this year. If Cronin does go I'm still liking staying local with Brannen of NKU.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - doss2 - 03-31-2019 06:04 PM

John Brannen next coach in.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - OKIcat - 04-01-2019 07:42 AM

(03-31-2019 06:04 PM)doss2 Wrote:  John Brannen next coach in.

I've been really impressed with Brannen too. He seems to get the players he needs to run their offensive schemes effectively and has found a way to win quickly in NKU's new conference and advance into March Madness. Their two appearances in the NCAA against elite talent opponents were competitive games in many ways.

My only concern would be his ability to recruit more elite talent. But the man can coach.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - dsquare - 04-01-2019 08:21 AM

The Ucla search is interesting. Very quiet for a long time. They definitely have money and alumni to pull off a big coup. I thought Alford would be a good fit, but i don't think he's a good coach in retrospect with one and done type guys and situations. Time will tell.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - BearcatMan - 04-01-2019 08:43 AM

(04-01-2019 08:21 AM)dsquare Wrote:  The Ucla search is interesting. Very quiet for a long time. They definitely have money and alumni to pull off a big coup. I thought Alford would be a good fit, but i don't think he's a good coach in retrospect with one and done type guys and situations. Time will tell.

I think they're clearly waiting for the Lakers' season to end, then the coaching search will be done rather quickly.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - Former Lurker - 04-01-2019 08:46 AM

(04-01-2019 08:21 AM)dsquare Wrote:  The Ucla search is interesting. Very quiet for a long time. They definitely have money and alumni to pull off a big coup. I thought Alford would be a good fit, but i don't think he's a good coach in retrospect with one and done type guys and situations. Time will tell.

Alford definitely does better in mid-major situations, where he is not operating under the necessity of recruiting one-and-dones and five-stars to compete. As for how he would fit in here, I'm not sure. He is a much better floor coach than Mick, and would recruit at least as well, but I still have doubts about regular second weekend appearances. I would support hiring him if Mick leaves, but with some reservations abou the ultimate outcome.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - CliftonAve - 04-01-2019 08:47 AM

(04-01-2019 08:43 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I think they're clearly waiting for the Lakers' season to end, then the coaching search will be done rather quickly.

That and I think there is real interest in Tony Bennett (Virginia) and Chris Beard (Texas Tech).

Mick is not going anywhere.

Re: Alford, I think he would make a good assistant- especially for recruiting and x's and o's.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - bearcatmark - 04-01-2019 08:48 AM

(04-01-2019 08:46 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  

Alford definitely does better in mid-major situations, where he is not operating under the necessity of recruiting one-and-dones and five-stars to compete. As for how he would fit in here, I'm not sure. He is a much better floor coach than Mick, and would recruit at least as well, but I still have doubts about regular second weekend appearances. I would support hiring him if Mick leaves, but with some reservations abou the ultimate outcome.

Is he a much better floor coach than Mick? I would dispute this. Watched plenty of Alford coached teams going back to Southwest Missouri State and have never thought he was some big time Xs and Os coach.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - eroc - 04-01-2019 08:49 AM

FWIW, i remember reading an article a while back about UCLA (maybe after Howland's firing?) where Doug Gottlieb, who was being recruited by UCLA as a player, talked about the experience and basically said that UCLA was recruiting off of it's legacy but didn't do anything to upgrade its facilities. indicated that Pauley was somewhat dated as facilities go. Perhaps that has changed since that article but it's possible the UCLA name is depreciating in the cbb landscape.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - Former Lurker - 04-01-2019 08:50 AM

(04-01-2019 07:42 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(03-31-2019 06:04 PM)doss2 Wrote:  John Brannen next coach in.

I've been really impressed with Brannen too. He seems to get the players he needs to run their offensive schemes effectively and has found a way to win quickly in NKU's new conference and advance into March Madness. Their two appearances in the NCAA against elite talent opponents were competitive games in many ways.

My only concern would be his ability to recruit more elite talent. But the man can coach.

If we need to make a hire, I like the approach of landing an up-and-coming mid-major guy, and offering raises/extensions based on success achieved, as we did with Huggins. The big name guys only work out maybe half the time at best, and are expensive busts when they fail.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - Lush - 04-01-2019 08:58 AM

wojo to ucla

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - levydl - 04-01-2019 09:01 AM

(04-01-2019 08:49 AM)eroc Wrote:  

FWIW, i remember reading an article a while back about UCLA (maybe after Howland's firing?) where Doug Gottlieb, who was being recruited by UCLA as a player, talked about the experience and basically said that UCLA was recruiting off of it's legacy but didn't do anything to upgrade its facilities. indicated that Pauley was somewhat dated as facilities go. Perhaps that has changed since that article but it's possible the UCLA name is depreciating in the cbb landscape.

They spent over $100 mil. renovating Pauley Pavilion about 5 years ago.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - dsquare - 04-01-2019 09:27 AM

(04-01-2019 09:01 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 08:49 AM)eroc Wrote:  

They spent over $100 mil. renovating Pauley Pavilion about 5 years ago.

Yep, i think they took care of that. Drawing talent hasn't been an issue. They get and can get top notch guys.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - dsquare - 04-01-2019 09:32 AM

I like the enquirer again pushing the story that Cronin may be Va Tech's choice if Williams bolts. Salary negotiations via the Enquirer.

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - CliftonAve - 04-01-2019 09:41 AM

(04-01-2019 09:32 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I like the enquirer again pushing the story that Cronin may be Va Tech's choice if Williams bolts. Salary negotiations via the Enquirer.

Right now they are just picking up stuff that is floating around the interwebs. They currently do not have a UC beat writer (they let Scott Springer go).

RE: College Hoops Coaching Carousel (2019) - OKIcat - 04-01-2019 09:56 AM

(04-01-2019 09:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 09:32 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I like the enquirer again pushing the story that Cronin may be Va Tech's choice if Williams bolts. Salary negotiations via the Enquirer.

Right now they are just picking up stuff that is floating around the interwebs. They currently do not have a UC beat writer (they let Scott Springer go).

Bolded, didn't know that about Springer and I'm disappointed to read it. Probably another cost reduction in the Enquirer's race to the bottom.

I'll be surprised if VT thinks Cronin an acceptable replacement for Buzz. Mick's publicity machine will keep cranking but I don't see P5 schools lining up for any coach who's been to one sweet sixteen during a 13 year tenure.