CSNbbs
A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: A10 Extends Conference Tournament (/thread-869874.html)

A10 Extends Conference Tournament - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-05-2019 12:40 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25929580/atlantic-10-men-tournament-confirms-sites-2022-24

A10 will have its conference tournament in D.C. in 2022, followed by returning to Barclays in 2023 and 2024. This year's A10 Tournament is at Barclays, as well as next year's and 2021's. It was in D.C. last year, and Pittsburgh the year prior.

Last year's championship in D.C. had 7,600 attendance. 2017 (Pittsburgh) had just over 7k. When at Barclays, the 2016 semifinals had over 10k, with the championship game getting 8,400.

I think Barclays for the A10 Tournament is the best location for them long-term, IMO.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Attackcoog - 02-05-2019 01:46 PM

Agree. Its a good venue and it seems to be working well for them.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - The Cutter of Bish - 02-05-2019 01:52 PM

I miss the days when this played in AC. Maybe the city recovers enough that it can be relevant again to host such events, but, then again, the A10 of that era isn't the one we have now.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - TheBasketBallOpinion - 02-05-2019 01:55 PM

We went to last years tournament in DC and got on the court for the halftime show! Pumped it will be coming back.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - MidWestMidMajor - 02-05-2019 02:24 PM

For such a good league as the A10, those aren't very good numbers. The Summit League tournament in Sioux Falls SD last year pulled in:
Men's tournament alone: 36,412. Men's championship game: 11,114. Men's & Women's tournaments combined: 63,446

I think the A10 just gets overshadowed in NYC. How many New Yorkers are diehard Fordham fans?
It seems that Philly is a little more centrally located (even though they're only about 100 miles apart).
They played at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City from 2007-2012: Atlantic 10 in Atlantic City
[Image: Atlantic-10-Boardwalk-Hall-300x195.jpg?w...p;amp;q=75]

I guess they just like Barclay's. Maybe Barclay's gives them a good deal on the rent? (Or maybe ESPN really like Barclay's?)

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - IWokeUpLikeThis - 02-05-2019 02:26 PM

Barclay's has A+ sightlines if you aren't the Islanders.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - CenterSquarEd - 02-05-2019 02:39 PM

(02-05-2019 01:52 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I miss the days when this played in AC. Maybe the city recovers enough that it can be relevant again to host such events, but, then again, the A10 of that era isn't the one we have now.
For what it’s worth, the MAAC Tournament will be leaving Albany after this season and heading to Boardwalk Hall for 2020. And it will be played the Thursday to Saturday right before Selection Sunday. The MAAC is down right now in its rankings, but that should bounce back when a few of its bigger programs get back on track.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - TexanMark - 02-05-2019 02:52 PM

(02-05-2019 02:39 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 01:52 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I miss the days when this played in AC. Maybe the city recovers enough that it can be relevant again to host such events, but, then again, the A10 of that era isn't the one we have now.
For what it’s worth, the MAAC Tournament will be leaving Albany after this season and heading to Boardwalk Hall for 2020. And it will be played the Thursday to Saturday right before Selection Sunday. The MAAC is down right now in its rankings, but that should bounce back when a few of its bigger programs get back on track.

Can't get too much more old school than that place. It has actually hosted football games in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Hall#College_football

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Scoochpooch1 - 02-05-2019 03:57 PM

NJ has legalized gambling in upstate New Jersey; AC is finished.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Scoochpooch1 - 02-05-2019 03:59 PM

(02-05-2019 02:24 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  For such a good league as the A10, those aren't very good numbers. The Summit League tournament in Sioux Falls SD last year pulled in:
Men's tournament alone: 36,412. Men's championship game: 11,114. Men's & Women's tournaments combined: 63,446

I think the A10 just gets overshadowed in NYC. How many New Yorkers are diehard Fordham fans?
It seems that Philly is a little more centrally located (even though they're only about 100 miles apart).
They played at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City from 2007-2012: Atlantic 10 in Atlantic City
[Image: Atlantic-10-Boardwalk-Hall-300x195.jpg?w...p;amp;q=75]

I guess they just like Barclay's. Maybe Barclay's gives them a good deal on the rent? (Or maybe ESPN really like Barclay's?)

There's really no other game in town in South Dakota, hence the numbers.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Captain Bearcat - 02-05-2019 04:23 PM

I went to the A-10 tourney in Dayton in 2004, the year the A-10 got both Xavier and St. Joseph's in the Elite Eight. It was packed.

Philadelphia makes the most sense to me.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - The Cutter of Bish - 02-05-2019 07:15 PM

What made it so good for the A10 were the three Philly teams and relatively close NY and DC schools. With the MAAC, even with Jersey representation, I just wish they had a Philly school in the conference. I associate MAAC with NY/NJ metro...they should be in a venue in a place like Newark/Jersey City, Long Island, or Stamford. Same with the NEC.

At this point, parking CAA’s tournament there wouldn’t be terrible. Blasphemy, sure, from that VA “heart” that isn’t there anymore...

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - MidWestMidMajor - 02-05-2019 07:41 PM

(02-05-2019 03:59 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  There's really no other game in town in South Dakota, hence the numbers.

They support their junior hockey team well: avg. 6500 per night.
They have the NBA-G league "Skyforce": avg. 3000 per night.
But...yeah... I see what you're saying.

That's an interesting point: maybe it's better to go to a smaller city that really really wants the tournament, that will get behind it in a big way.
Do you think Mike Francesa will talk about the A10 tournament when it comes to Brooklyn? Too many other "big league" things to talk about in NYC.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - CenterSquarEd - 02-05-2019 08:39 PM

(02-05-2019 07:15 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  What made it so good for the A10 were the three Philly teams and relatively close NY and DC schools. With the MAAC, even with Jersey representation, I just wish they had a Philly school in the conference. I associate MAAC with NY/NJ metro...they should be in a venue in a place like Newark/Jersey City, Long Island, or Stamford. Same with the NEC.

At this point, parking CAA’s tournament there wouldn’t be terrible. Blasphemy, sure, from that VA “heart” that isn’t there anymore...

Oh, I hear you. I don't doubt that the MAAC will be looking for another venue change when that contract runs out after another 3 years. There isn't a right-sized venue in the NYC area. The Westchester County Center is not compelling. The Nassau Coliseum is too far away from all the members. The Meadowlands Arena isn't open anymore and hadn't shown any appetite for the MAAC when they were. I'm not sure if the new Belmont Park arena could be an option, or if the increased competition could make the Prudential Center interested for a change. I'm partial to the Times Union Center in Albany, but I can see why the other members want to get away from Siena's home court. It didn't help that Siena was going through a down period during this current 3-year contract.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Minutemen429 - 02-05-2019 09:14 PM

(02-05-2019 04:23 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I went to the A-10 tourney in Dayton in 2004, the year the A-10 got both Xavier and St. Joseph's in the Elite Eight. It was packed.

Philadelphia makes the most sense to me.

Dayton has great fans

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - MissouriStateBears - 02-05-2019 10:38 PM

MAAC tournament in Albany I always enjoyed watching it. It came on before the MVC finals for years. I always liked the look of Knickerbocker Arena.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - IWokeUpLikeThis - 02-05-2019 10:41 PM

(02-05-2019 07:41 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 03:59 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  There's really no other game in town in South Dakota, hence the numbers.

They support their junior hockey team well: avg. 6500 per night.
They have the NBA-G league "Skyforce": avg. 3000 per night.
But...yeah... I see what you're saying.

That's an interesting point: maybe it's better to go to a smaller city that really really wants the tournament, that will get behind it in a big way.
Do you think Mike Francesa will talk about the A10 tournament when it comes to Brooklyn? Too many other "big league" things to talk about in NYC.

The “it’s-our-claim-to-fame!” Sioux Falls-equivalent would probably be Dayton.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - Sultan of Euphonistan - 02-06-2019 03:12 AM

Having a neutral site can work but it has to be a place reasonable for most of the conference. Cleveland has worked well for the MAC for a while now with the final game having some nice attendance numbers especially for the MAC. Cleveland is a fair size city and is a reasonable drive for most of the conference. The only schools who really have to make a drive that is pretty far would be probably Central and Western Michigan (and for those schools they get the boost of being close to the football championship played in Detroit) and NIU which really would only be helped in a significant fashion if it was played in Chicago which would not please anybody else.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - AuzGrams - 02-07-2019 02:45 AM

Atlantic City seems cool.

RE: A10 Extends Conference Tournament - MissouriStateBears - 02-07-2019 09:31 PM

(02-06-2019 03:12 AM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Having a neutral site can work but it has to be a place reasonable for most of the conference. Cleveland has worked well for the MAC for a while now with the final game having some nice attendance numbers especially for the MAC. Cleveland is a fair size city and is a reasonable drive for most of the conference. The only schools who really have to make a drive that is pretty far would be probably Central and Western Michigan (and for those schools they get the boost of being close to the football championship played in Detroit) and NIU which really would only be helped in a significant fashion if it was played in Chicago which would not please anybody else.

You also have schools that the fan bases will travel. For example an America East tournament in Boston would be perfect but the schools don't travel.