CSNbbs
The Elephant in room....... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: The Elephant in room....... (/thread-869708.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:03 PM

You lose to Elon, Towson and JMU at home it’s time to go. One time in my life I really wish I was wrong but I called this train wreck day one. UnC guys are NOT the answer here this is two train wrecks in a row

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:29 PM

A few people had asked for the contract details here it is:
https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/04/03/uncw-cb-mcgrath-contract/

RE: The Elephant in room....... - 82hawk - 02-02-2019 09:33 PM

The buyout is only if HE leaves and has to buyout of his contract. If he is fired, we would owe him the remainder of his contract. So, to fire him, it would be $900,000 after this season.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:35 PM

(02-02-2019 09:33 PM)82hawk Wrote:  The buyout is only if HE leaves and has to buyout of his contract. If he is fired, we would owe him the remainder of his contract. So, to fire him, it would be $900,000 after this season.

Yup that’s what I get for not reading the whole thing and that is a travesty. We need better lawyers that contract is a joke for someone with no HC experience

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:37 PM

Although “without cause” is highly debatable in the court of law. I bet both sides could agree to a figure we all know Roy would hire him. Back anyways

RE: The Elephant in room....... - billthebighawksfan - 02-02-2019 09:38 PM

I know it's bad right now, but you have to give him and staff at least another year so that he gets all his players in here. Right now, only Gadsden plays good defense on the ball and Fornes has worked hard lately and Sims has been pretty good. Other than that, nobody plays defense well. We have zero shot blocking right now as well which is bad. If the program doesn't start turning around next year, it may be time. Now is too early.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:40 PM

(02-02-2019 09:38 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I know it's bad right now, but you have to give him and staff at least another year so that he gets all his players in here. Right now, only Gadsden plays good defense on the ball and Fornes has worked hard lately and Sims has been pretty good. Other than that, nobody plays defense well. We have zero shot blocking right now as well which is bad. If the program doesn't start turning around next year, it may be time. Now is too early.

He’s had time, I don’t think anyone expected us to win it this year just improve. He’s playing mostly his guys now and we have regressed. He has shown zero signs he can do anything that resembles coaching besides recruit

RE: The Elephant in room....... - 82hawk - 02-02-2019 09:44 PM

(02-02-2019 09:38 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I know it's bad right now, but you have to give him and staff at least another year so that he gets all his players in here. Right now, only Gadsden plays good defense on the ball and Fornes has worked hard lately and Sims has been pretty good. Other than that, nobody plays defense well. We have zero shot blocking right now as well which is bad. If the program doesn't start turning around next year, it may be time. Now is too early.

That's ridiculous Bill. We are likely LAST IN THE COUNTRY in defense now. We do not have a team of players that are the worst individual defenders in the country. Sorry. And if they are they bad, whose job is it to fix that?

RE: The Elephant in room....... - solohawks - 02-02-2019 09:51 PM

UNC is coming to town next year so season ticket sales should be solid. McGrath will get at least two more years

RE: The Elephant in room....... - 82hawk - 02-02-2019 09:55 PM

(02-02-2019 09:51 PM)solohawks Wrote:  UNC is coming to town next year so season ticket sales should be solid. McGrath will get at least two more years

We hold 5200 and sold 4800 tonight. Ya' think selling 400 more tickets is going to make that big of a difference?

RE: The Elephant in room....... - billthebighawksfan - 02-02-2019 09:55 PM

Recruiting is a big factor hoops. Many of "his" guys are underclassmen and 2 are freshmen. They aren't there defensively yet, but hopefully will get better. I know that Sims will get it because he looks like he is getting it, Estime needs to keep working, Toews definitely needs work and Gadsden is pretty decent. These problems wouldn't be as bad if you had an eraser on the back end or somebody that could defend in the post. Coaching is part of the problem (starts with athletic guarding posture first as we know), but the players have to guard their man too.

He said that he knows that there's an issue and they're going to work on it this week. That should make you sleep easier now that the "cat's out of the bag" that they know there's a problem and are now admitting it. I think that the 100 spot lit the bulb!

RE: The Elephant in room....... - 82hawk - 02-02-2019 09:58 PM

BT Toews commenting on Alex postgame talk on Facebook.

"It's Homecoming, where is the pride?"

Not good.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 09:58 PM

(02-02-2019 09:55 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Recruiting is a big factor hoops. Many of "his" guys are underclassmen and 2 are freshmen. They aren't there defensively yet, but hopefully will get better. I know that Sims will get it because he looks like he is getting it, Estime needs to keep working, Toews definitely needs work and Gadsden is pretty decent. These problems wouldn't be as bad if you had an eraser on the back end or somebody that could defend in the post. Coaching is part of the problem (starts with athletic guarding posture first as we know), but the players have to guard their man too.

He said that he knows that there's an issue and they're going to work on it this week. That should make you sleep easier now that the "cat's out of the bag" that they know there's a problem and are now admitting it. I think that the 100 spot lit the bulb!

Bill come on man. I really do respect your opinion on this board but I feel like you are letting him snow you in here. He’s been saying the same crap after every game and they have gotten worse not better. I actually think he can recruit IMo he’s gotten some solid guys. But he can’t coach a lick. It goes back to his tree. Roy is a hell of a recruiter but has always taken heat for his in game decisions. But, that’s masked by throwing out 7,8,9 5 star guys. But at this level, you can just roll the ball out there. You don’t have that kind of talent. He’s given me nothing to think we will improve, nothing

RE: The Elephant in room....... - surfsalot - 02-02-2019 09:59 PM

Players rely on coaches to coach them to a win. If that doesn't happen, then the players lose confidence in the system.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - solohawks - 02-02-2019 10:00 PM

(02-02-2019 09:55 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(02-02-2019 09:51 PM)solohawks Wrote:  UNC is coming to town next year so season ticket sales should be solid. McGrath will get at least two more years

We hold 5200 and sold 4800 tonight. Ya' think selling 400 more tickets is going to make that big of a difference?

Tonight was homecoming.

Even at our lowest homecoming drew.

When season ticket sales and Seahawk club memberships begin to trend downwards, the pressure will be on as it was with Moss and Peterson.

That wont happen next year as you are going to see a lot of people buy season tickets to get access to the UNC game.

Come year 4, I think he may be on the hot seat but I doubt they pull the trigger until year 5, barring an absolute catastrophe

RE: The Elephant in room....... - 82hawk - 02-02-2019 10:00 PM

(02-02-2019 09:55 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Recruiting is a big factor hoops. Many of "his" guys are underclassmen and 2 are freshmen. They aren't there defensively yet, but hopefully will get better. I know that Sims will get it because he looks like he is getting it, Estime needs to keep working, Toews definitely needs work and Gadsden is pretty decent. These problems wouldn't be as bad if you had an eraser on the back end or somebody that could defend in the post. Coaching is part of the problem (starts with athletic guarding posture first as we know), but the players have to guard their man too.

Well that's good to know. A good week of defensive focus should turn this around.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - billthebighawksfan - 02-02-2019 10:02 PM

No, it's ridiculous to get rid of the coach mid 2nd year. Sorry, I don't agree at all. Is there a problem? Yes, we can't stop someone and it makes me mad, but you have to see the bigger picture here. The school isn't going to fork out that kind of money for that, you will lose 2 very good recruits and his players may transfer if that were to happen. No good coach would come to a school that didn't give a coach at least a recruiting cycle to make it work.

They have a very good big man sitting out that will be good, they have 2 very good players coming that have nice size with 3 grants to give. The good thing is that they now know what kind of players they need to get so give them a chance.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - solohawks - 02-02-2019 10:02 PM

Better late than never I guess

At least I have a 4 year old son who is falling in love with the sport of basketball and really loves going to these games this year.

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 10:03 PM

(02-02-2019 10:00 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(02-02-2019 09:55 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Tonight was homecoming.

Even at our lowest homecoming drew.

When season ticket sales and Seahawk club memberships begin to trend downwards, the pressure will be on as it was with Moss and Peterson.

That wont happen next year as you are going to see a lot of people buy season tickets to get access to the UNC game.

Come year 4, I think he may be on the hot seat but I doubt they pull the trigger until year 5, barring an absolute catastrophe
What’s your definition of catastrophe? I’m there

RE: The Elephant in room....... - Seahawkhoops - 02-02-2019 10:04 PM

Bill I’m not sure anyone thinks he should get fired now last one mid season created serious issues. But certainly after the season. I’m mean let’s face it this year is toast