CSNbbs
Next to last place - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Next to last place (/thread-869571.html)

Next to last place - 82hawk - 01-31-2019 09:29 PM

Well, we're one game ahead of JMU for last place in the CAA and have them at home this Saturday. Anyone willing to lay money on the line that we win?

Glad to see we've improved from last year. Yeah, I know we have a dedicated complaint thread, but that just doesn't get it. The players, the fans and those who support UNCW basketball deserve better. I'm sick of the excuses and hearing McGrath say game after game "they hit tough shots". Just don't say anything, i'm sick of hearing it.

We were shutting this crappy team down by pressing and playing zone. Period. We abandon it and lose AGAIN. Unbelieveable.

RE: Next to last place - 82hawk - 02-03-2019 05:44 AM

And now we finish the season with 5 of 7 on the road and face every team ahead of us in the standings. I thought we were, at best, a 6th place team. Turns out that was probably too optimistic. Unless there is a drastic change to our defensive scheme, we could possibly ride a 10 game losing streak to end CAA play and end up in dead last.

IMO, our only realistic chance to win from here on out is against Drexel. If we lose that game, I don't see us winning another one, including our CAA tournament opener.

Sad.

RE: Next to last place - HAWKING - 02-03-2019 07:17 AM

(02-03-2019 05:44 AM)82hawk Wrote:  And now we finish the season with 5 of 7 on the road and face every team ahead of us in the standings. I thought we were, at best, a 6th place team. Turns out that was probably too optimistic. Unless there is a drastic change to our defensive scheme, we could possibly ride a 10 game losing streak to end CAA play and end up in dead last.

IMO, our only realistic chance to win from here on out is against Drexel. If we lose that game, I don't see us winning another one, including our CAA tournament opener.

Sad.
This gets my vote for the most depressing comment of the season on this discussion board. Albeit, true to life. If you feel bad as a fan with nothing substantially invested, imagine what the players/staff feel like at this point. It doesn't get much darker than this my friends.

RE: Next to last place - solohawks - 02-03-2019 09:26 AM

(02-03-2019 07:17 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  
(02-03-2019 05:44 AM)82hawk Wrote:  And now we finish the season with 5 of 7 on the road and face every team ahead of us in the standings. I thought we were, at best, a 6th place team. Turns out that was probably too optimistic. Unless there is a drastic change to our defensive scheme, we could possibly ride a 10 game losing streak to end CAA play and end up in dead last.

Sad.
This gets my vote for the most depressing comment of the season on this discussion board. Albeit, true to life. If you feel bad as a fan with nothing substantially invested, imagine what the players/staff feel like at this point. It doesn't get much darker than this my friends.

We have a chancellor that supports the program and an AD that is pretty solid.

It has been much worse.

RE: Next to last place - 82hawk - 02-03-2019 10:20 AM

(02-03-2019 09:26 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Sad.

We have a chancellor that supports the program and an AD that is pretty solid.

It has been much worse.

This is true.

RE: Next to last place - EvanJ - 02-03-2019 09:28 PM

Sad.
The HBCUs in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) and Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) sometimes do not pay any out of conference home games or only host non-Division I teams. The MEAC played 17 percent of their out of conference games at home and the SWAC played 7 percent at home. I calculated that months ago, and I don't remember if I included neutral sites in the denominator. MEAC and SWAC teams can have lots of travel and not much chance to win out of conference. Delaware State, who is in the MEAC and is 1-18 vs. Division I, played 4 out of conference games at home (2 vs. Division I) and 9 away, of which only 2 were within 4 hours by bus. 5 (a majority) were in western New York, Indiana, Utah, Washington, or Arizona, and none of those five games were on one trip. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3221302 is about Alcorn State. It's 11 years old but still true. This season, Alcorn State's 79-54 loss at Vanderbilt had 61 percent higher attendance than Alcorn State's 8 home games (5 vs. Division I) combined.

RE: Next to last place - TribePride91 - 02-04-2019 09:46 AM

Based on the schedule alone, it is hard to imagine the Seahawks or the Tribe finishing in the top 6 right now. Both have 5 of 7 to finish on the road. Unless both can win some road games, it is hard to imagine either will get to 9 wins total which is likely the number necessary to get to #6 or above. But, the offense you guys have might allow you to win a few games by simply outscoring people. It worked against us last week and it worked for W&M last season until we ran into Charleston in the tourney. Still today think Charleston is the tourney favorite due to the big HC advantage and some friendly calls in Charleston. They would be the favorite anywhere over everyone but Hofstra and Northeastern.

RE: Next to last place - EvanJ - 02-06-2019 12:29 PM

8-10 could be enough for the 6 seed, and I think it's possible to have something like a 3-way tie for 6th at 7-11. Other than the top three:

Fourth place Delaware (6-5) hosts all of their remaining games against the top three. Eric Carter missed the last game, and I don't know when he will return. If they lose hosting Charleston and UNCW, they could have a battle to remain the top six. Even with the games being at home, Northeastern and Hofstra is a hard final week.

Drexel (5-6) is tied for fifth and 1 game behind Delaware. Their schedule is the same as Delaware's, and Drexel hosts the head-to-head game.

William & Mary (5-6) is tied with Drexel. Their next four are at Northeastern, at Hofstra, at Elon, and hosting Charleston. If they win at Elon and lose the other three, they will be 6-9 with 3 games left and probably needing help to finish in the top six.

Towson (4-7) has an easy remaining schedule. Other than going to Hofstra and Northeastern, they have 5 home games, and they're done playing Charleston.

Elon (4-7) has 4 away games and hosts Charleston. They host William & Mary and UNCW, who both lost host hosting Elon. They end at James Madison and Towson, and winning both might be enough for the top six.

UNCW (4-7) has all their games away or hosting Northeastern or Hofstra. They could use to win at Drexel and Delaware. If they split and lose hosting Northeastern and Hofstra, they will be 5-10 with 3 away games left. Even 6-9 with 3 away games left will make it hard to finish in the top six.

James Madison (3-8) has the same schedule as Towson, and Towson hosts the head-to-head game. They will need to gain at least 2 games on a team above them to finish in the top six.