CSNbbs
Rendezvous - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: Rendezvous (/thread-868753.html)

Pages: 1 2

Rendezvous - uconnbaseball - 01-18-2019 10:01 PM

Hello Memphis Tigers fans.

I was in the area visitimg family recently and we ate at a joint known as the Rendezvous. It was located in a...peculiar location so my expectations were not that high.

Oh my God it is the best restaurant literally ever. If you have never been there, GO NOW. Their prices are not even expensive!

RE: Rendezvous - UofMark - 01-18-2019 10:22 PM

We’ve all been there and we all agree with you. We also have numerous other rib joints equally as good that don’t get the publicity the Rondezvous does. We’re spoiled and we know it. Glad you had a good time.

RE: Rendezvous - TigerBill - 01-18-2019 11:36 PM

(01-18-2019 10:01 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  Hello Memphis Tigers fans.

I was in the area visitimg family recently and we ate at a joint known as the Rendezvous. It was located in a...peculiar location so my expectations were not that high.

Oh my God it is the best restaurant literally ever. If you have never been there, GO NOW. Their prices are not even expensive!

I doubt there's a Memphian alive who hasn't eaten there, it is good. Glad you liked it!

RE: Rendezvous - uconnbaseball - 01-19-2019 09:42 AM

(01-18-2019 10:22 PM)UofMark Wrote:  We’ve all been there and we all agree with you. We also have numerous other rib joints equally as good that don’t get the publicity the Rondezvous does. We’re spoiled and we know it. Glad you had a good time.

Hehe you sure are. I got the chicken breast / rib mix and was in heaven and bought some seasoning to take home.

RE: Rendezvous - memtigbb - 01-19-2019 06:50 PM

If you decide to come down for the conf tournament, be sure and hit us up and we can give you recommendations for just about anything and everything to do in Memphis. Believe it or not, there are a lot of great things about Memphis (like Rendezvous) that most outside of Memphis are not aware.

RE: Rendezvous - uconnbaseball - 01-19-2019 07:31 PM

(01-19-2019 06:50 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  If you decide to come down for the conf tournament, be sure and hit us up and we can give you recommendations for just about anything and everything to do in Memphis. Believe it or not, there are a lot of great things about Memphis (like Rendezvous) that most outside of Memphis are not aware.

Sounds like a plan. I enjoyed my brief visit, save for the cold weather of CT following me. At least it didn't snow!

RE: Rendezvous - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 01-20-2019 02:05 PM

hint: Next time, try the ham sandwich, too. We have beaucoups of rib joints. We also have interesting and important history, culture, music, museums, and tons of restaurants and bars to explore. St. Jude, FedEx, Holiday Inns, all founded here. We are the friendliest city in America, have more soul than anywhere, and we love to show folks around. Hit this board up next time and we will point you to all kinds of well-known and hidden gems here. Thanks for coming! Go Tigers!

RE: Rendezvous - EarthBoundMisfit - 01-20-2019 05:55 PM

(01-18-2019 11:36 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  

I doubt there's a Memphian alive who hasn't eaten there, it is good. Glad you liked it!

uh, I didn't care for it much.
I am partial to the Bar-B-Que Shop on Madison.
Fair disclosure..I once worked there as a waiter..and I'm friends with the owner's son Eric...a UofM grad.

RE: Rendezvous - Memphis Blazer - 01-20-2019 11:38 PM

Hard to believe there are people who have never heard of the Rendezvous

RE: Rendezvous - yakko - 01-21-2019 12:53 AM

It's at the bottom of my list of preferred Memphis BBQ places. Still better than anywhere else, but between Central, BBQ Shop, and a few others, Rendezvous seems more for tourists IMHO.

RE: Rendezvous - TigerBill - 01-21-2019 12:00 PM

(01-20-2019 05:55 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

Fair disclosure..I once worked there as a waiter..and I'm friends with the owner's son Eric...a UofM grad.

Good to me is 3 out of 5 stars. It IS good, but BBQ Shoppe is 5, Corky's 4 (5 for their catfish), Central 4.5, etc. The absolute best is a shack next to the Ace Hardware in Moscow, TN.

RE: Rendezvous - EarthBoundMisfit - 01-21-2019 12:16 PM

they have 2 bar-b-que places here in Madisonille, KY.
Brothers Bar-B-Que and Sticky Pig.
Brothers would be a 3 for me..their side orders are better than the meat...and Sticky Pig...the Bar-B-Que is great...but their side orders could use some work.
Sticky Pig would be a 3.5.

Only time I get to have real Bar-B-Que is when I come home to Memphis once a year for my family reunions (in July at Wall Doxie State Park).

RE: Rendezvous - memtigbb - 01-21-2019 01:51 PM

For about the last 20 years... Rendezvous has been very hit or miss. When it is good, it is great, but sometimes it is not good.

RE: Rendezvous - BandwagonJumper - 01-21-2019 02:22 PM

I love the Rendezvous, and take every opportunity to eat there (usually work related)

sue me.

RE: Rendezvous - Cletus - 01-23-2019 03:01 AM

[Image: 46792099842_36a9a7cc7d_o.jpg]

Charlie Vergos & his Father behind the bar, Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous, 52 S 2nd St. Rear Alley, Memphis TN - Circa 1959

RE: Rendezvous - MemDawg91 - 01-23-2019 11:06 PM

Rendezvous is good but not my favorite. I prefer Cozy Corner, Central and Commissary(nice alliteration).

RE: Rendezvous - ncrdbl1 - 01-23-2019 11:07 PM

That is usually our first stop during our Diablo bachelor party days. The ball team would all gather to buy dinner for the condemned man. Then after the weigh in on the scale. The still single ones would lead him off to a local adult entertainment establishment for one last night of fun before he is tied down.

RE: Rendezvous - covingtontiger - 01-28-2019 09:50 AM

I was eating at the Bar-B-Que Shop on Madison on Friday. I go there for their BBQ spaghetti. I started talking to the guy next to me at the bar. He was an Iowa State fan in town for the Auld Mess basketball game on Saturday. He asked where else he should try in town and I told him to go to the Rendezvous.

I love the Rendezvous. I know that some folks don't, but my family really loves their place.

RE: Rendezvous - Dak10 - 01-28-2019 11:47 AM

Best slaw in the city and the charcoal adds good flavor. The atmosphere completes it. Awesome place and I remember being mesmerized by the whole thing when I first visited before I lived in Memphis.

RE: Rendezvous - ddramone - 01-28-2019 01:49 PM

(01-21-2019 01:51 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

For about the last 20 years... Rendezvous has been very hit or miss. When it is good, it is great, but sometimes it is not good.

When it's on, Rendezvous cannot be beat. When it's off, Rendezvous is in the bottom 25% of Memphis BBQ.

Even when it's off, Rendezvous is probably better than all but 10% of BBQ restaurants north of the Mason-Dixon line.