CSNbbs
Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points (/thread-867971.html)

Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - hooverblazer - 01-08-2019 10:44 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2019/01/08/construction-to-start-on-17-story-five-points.html

Big news for Southside and another example of how UAB is driving Birmingham's growth.

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - UABFRENCHY - 01-08-2019 11:23 AM

which street exactly

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - hooverblazer - 01-08-2019 12:30 PM

(01-08-2019 11:23 AM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  which street exactly

The corner of 10th Ave S and 20th St S which is currently the site of The Break billiards hall.

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - UABFRENCHY - 01-08-2019 12:53 PM

tks

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - BatesUAB - 01-08-2019 01:31 PM

I was not able to read the article, but are we sure this is student housing? Or is it just an apartment building?

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - blazerjay - 01-08-2019 01:42 PM

(01-08-2019 01:31 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I was not able to read the article, but are we sure this is student housing? Or is it just an apartment building?

Quote:The new building will include 199 units to accommodate 522 residents.

“We are excited to bring a new living experience to students at UAB and the city of Birmingham,” said Angelo. “This project allows us to showcase our dedicated student housing expertise while fulfilling the evolving demand for student living in a growing community.”

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 01-08-2019 01:51 PM

Since I am not a subscriber, I can't access the article. Does UAB now own that site? If so, UAB may build there as an investment property renting to the public - and those students who can afford it, or it may be entirely student housing. Doesn't UAB own the Town House apartments on University Ave? This site may be set up similarly.

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - hooverblazer - 01-08-2019 01:57 PM

(01-08-2019 01:51 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Since I am not a subscriber, I can't access the article. Does UAB now own that site? If so, UAB may build there as an investment property renting to the public - and those students who can afford it, or it may be entirely student housing. Doesn't UAB own the Town House apartments on University Ave? This site may be set up similarly.

UAB doesn't own the site. It's owned by a developer in Minnesota. Also, the UAB Townhouse building on University Blvd is getting demolished soon.

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 01-08-2019 02:30 PM

(01-08-2019 01:57 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(01-08-2019 01:51 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Since I am not a subscriber, I can't access the article. Does UAB now own that site? If so, UAB may build there as an investment property renting to the public - and those students who can afford it, or it may be entirely student housing. Doesn't UAB own the Town House apartments on University Ave? This site may be set up similarly.

UAB doesn't own the site. It's owned by a developer in Minnesota. Also, the UAB Townhouse building on University Blvd is getting demolished soon.

When that demolition happens, it will be another part of my past going away. While my brother was in the medical school, then internship and then residency, our family dined regularly with he and his wife at Mrs Todd's Cafeteria, I briefly dated Deidra (Dee Dee) Rush (At 14, I was her date for her 8th grade prom at South Highland Elementary School) whose mother was the mgr. and shopped at Tubb's Drugs on the corner. I occasionally used their parking lot while studying for my MA in 1970-72.

RE: Construction Starting Soon on 17 Story Student Housing Development in 5 Points - WesternBlazer - 01-08-2019 05:14 PM

al.com
https://www.al.com/business/2019/01/construction-starts-on-uab-high-rise-housing.html