CSNbbs
Starting lineup - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Starting lineup (/thread-867877.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Starting lineup - JJMonarch - 01-06-2019 09:11 PM

I am no coach but it's apparent we need a different starting lineup. I don't know the answer but these slow starts are killing me. We have been fortunate that we have depth and have shown a lot of toughness in comebacks but something needs to change for the first 5-8 minutes of the game. Since I started the thread I will make a suggestion but in the end I just hope coach Jones is considering something different. Personally I like Kithcart starting with Dickens in the middle. We can still bring in Wade, ,Ezikpe, Carver, Robinson, whatever the nature of the game is dictating. Carver and one other big in the starting lineup basically gives us two players that are not going to score. That's allowing a fresh defense to swarm on BJ and Caver. The first 5 minutes is not going to win the game for you but it sure would be nice to not have to dig out of a hole, especially a conference game on the road.

RE: Starting lineup - LetsGoODU - 01-06-2019 09:22 PM

I agree. Was saying last night that there’s no reason Robinson should be starting anymore. He gets yanked for Dickens within 2 minutes every game it seems like.

I wouldn’t mind Dickens starting but I think Carver needs to come in off the bench as well. Between Carver and Ronbinson, you have zero scoring threats with those two.

RE: Starting lineup - Justanodufan - 01-06-2019 10:26 PM

Dickins can’t rebound for ****. And he has had a chance to show what he can do as a starter and it wasn’t overly impressive.

If JJ goes with a small lineup (Stith at the 4), I would start KE.

RE: Starting lineup - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 10:27 PM

We just had a good start vs Marshall and lost. This was just an insane start to the game.

I like that Dickens and Kalu are getting more mins though; however that is laid out is fine with me.

RE: Starting lineup - bit_9 - 01-07-2019 08:28 AM

I agree. I think Kalu is going to steady eat into Robinsons minutes. He's big but super timid and it shows in his decision making and assertiveness. Bobbling the ball and kicking it. When he turned to Jones running up the court and Bassey just had his way with him he goes "he was pushing me!" and Jones fired back "Quit making excuses!" I smiled and was like yes!!!

RE: Starting lineup - Monarchblue - 01-07-2019 10:30 AM

(01-06-2019 09:11 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  I am no coach but it's apparent we need a different starting lineup. I don't know the answer but these slow starts are killing me. We have been fortunate that we have depth and have shown a lot of toughness in comebacks but something needs to change for the first 5-8 minutes of the game. Since I started the thread I will make a suggestion but in the end I just hope coach Jones is considering something different. Personally I like Kithcart starting with Dickens in the middle. We can still bring in Wade, ,Ezikpe, Carver, Robinson, whatever the nature of the game is dictating. Carver and one other big in the starting lineup basically gives us two players that are not going to score. That's allowing a fresh defense to swarm on BJ and Caver. The first 5 minutes is not going to win the game for you but it sure would be nice to not have to dig out of a hole, especially a conference game on the road.

I agree, but I am not sure who I would put in that open slot. I guess it is between Wade and Kithcart. I really like Kithcart coming off the bench, though.

RE: Starting lineup - Nukesquad - 01-07-2019 01:13 PM

(01-07-2019 08:28 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I agree. I think Kalu is going to steady eat into Robinsons minutes. He's big but super timid and it shows in his decision making and assertiveness. Bobbling the ball and kicking it. When he turned to Jones running up the court and Bassey just had his way with him he goes "he was pushing me!" and Jones fired back "Quit making excuses!" I smiled and was like yes!!!

Yes. Kalu has been given the opportunity to get a start, if he takes advantage of it. Dickens (outside of the 2nd Half vs. WKU) has been prone to foul trouble, so trying to keep him available without having an early exit has shown to be a challenge. I see Robinson only being used for limited minutes, as his build is lending him to quick fatigue. It that's indeed true, I can see an argument in starting him to get the most you can out of him (after just going through team warmups) and then when he's done he's done.

RE: Starting lineup - Blue Moon Rising - 01-07-2019 02:38 PM

My staring line-up right now is:
1. Kithcart or Caver
2. Kithcart or Caver
3. Stith
4. Green
5. Ezipke

First off the bench:
1. Wade
2. Dickens or Carver
3. Dickens or Carver

Note: Robinson rides the bench until he proves he is man enough to play inside!

RE: Starting lineup - ODU True Blue - 01-10-2019 03:33 PM

We are all lamenting the slow starts. We are lamenting that Robinson adds nothing to our offense. We are also lamenting that Reece's redshirt year has been blown.

Why not give Reece those minutes that Robinson gets to start the game? I seriously doubt it would hurt. It could also go a long way in helping Reece for next season.

RE: Starting lineup - Gilesfan - 01-10-2019 03:43 PM

Robinson hasn't been good, but he hasn't been *that bad either. He is pretty solid defensively. He's just too uncoordinated on offense do a whole lot unless he gets it deep on the block (and he doesn't travel in process). Reece just does not look to be ready.

RE: Starting lineup - cmett003 - 01-10-2019 03:57 PM

Reese will get time if the score dictates. Need to be up by a least 20 to start getting him practice minutes.

RE: Starting lineup - ODU804 - 01-10-2019 04:09 PM

(01-10-2019 03:57 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Reese will get time if the score dictates. Need to be up by a least 20 to start getting him practice minutes.

I've been questioning in my head why this wasn't a redshirt opportunity. I hope this doesn't turn into another Hewitt situation.

RE: Starting lineup - Gilesfan - 01-10-2019 04:14 PM

(01-10-2019 04:09 PM)ODU804 Wrote:  
(01-10-2019 03:57 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Reese will get time if the score dictates. Need to be up by a least 20 to start getting him practice minutes.

I've been questioning in my head why this wasn't a redshirt opportunity. I hope this doesn't turn into another Hewitt situation.

If the player does not want to redshirt, you cannot force them to.

RE: Starting lineup - 757ODU - 01-11-2019 08:42 AM

(01-10-2019 03:43 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Robinson hasn't been good, but he hasn't been *that bad either. He is pretty solid defensively. He's just too uncoordinated on offense do a whole lot unless he gets it deep on the block (and he doesn't travel in process). Reece just does not look to be ready.

Robinson has been worse than that bad.

RE: Starting lineup - ODUgrad81+82 - 01-17-2019 11:13 PM

I have an unsolicited theory on Robinson starting. Maybe JJ starts him at each half to see what he has for the game. He seems to play long enough to see if he is on. Once he travels, fouls, and/or gets beat for score, Jeff moves on.

RE: Starting lineup - Blue Moon Rising - 01-17-2019 11:27 PM

My take on Robinson is he really doesn't want to play basketball! But at 7'1" he has to. He is soft gets pushed around and doesn't make any attempt to intimidate his opponents! He needs to decide if this is really for him and if not, stop wasting a scholarship and get on with your life. Until then, he doesn't need to play. much less start. I think Dickins and Ezipke are working out just fine in the frontcourt.

RE: Starting lineup - LetsGoODU - 01-17-2019 11:45 PM

My favorite lineup right now is Caver, BJ, Kithcart, Wade, Ezikpe.

RE: Starting lineup - Obiwan - 01-18-2019 01:46 AM

Carver provides too much basic needs and needs to be on court - it’s obvious he’s not an offensive threat but the other intangibles are pretty solid.

RE: Starting lineup - Blue Moon Rising - 01-18-2019 10:31 AM

Kithcart, Caver and Stith have got to start! The flexibility comes with Dickins, Ezipke, Wade, Carver and Green. Who's hot, who matches up, etc. determines who starts.

RE: Starting lineup - cmett003 - 01-18-2019 10:47 AM

I'm fine with Robinson starting, saves Dickens from possibly picking up early fouls and if Robinson can get us a few early buckets its a bonus. Do you remember the Syracuse game although I know that has not happened consistently. We need Dickens when it counts, not in the first 4 min.