CSNbbs
ODU vs WKU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: ODU vs WKU (/thread-867701.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: ODU vs WKU - Monarchblue - 01-06-2019 11:14 AM

(01-06-2019 11:07 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(01-06-2019 11:01 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Why on Earth does Robinson still start both halves. Dickens and Kalu are clearly the better players, and JJ obviously knows it, since Robinson doesn't really play much after his initial stint. His minutes are a detriment to the team at this point. He seems like a good enough guy, but we need to get off to better starts and he is part of the problem.

My brother-in-law and I were discussing this last night. I think that he may be the out there at the start of our games to get a sense of how foul-happy the refs are going to be.

As good as they are, both Dickens and Ezipke are foul prone. We don't need one or the other of them getting nicked with two fouls in the first four minutes.

I believe I recall Blaine Taylor doing the same with Valdas Vasilius -- keeping the more talented player on the bench for the start of games in order to get a read on how the game is going to be called.

I have a simpler theory. Over the years it has seemed JJ just really dislikes changing the starting lineup. Whether its superstition, not upsetting the apple cart, or just not taking that away from someone if they continue to do what they are supposed to, who knows, but I think it is hurting us right now. We are not very good when we have 2 bigs in the game to begin with, and Robinson magnifies that. We at least need to start with the 4 perimeter players on the court. It is our default lineup, and really is pour best lineup. Whether that includes Robinson at the 5 for a couple minutes isn't as big of a deal, I guess, but we are starting games playing 5 on 3 at the offensive end.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 11:30 AM

The only problem I see with Dickens is we have to pair him with good rebounders because he's still not rebounding for some reason. Maybe you can get away with BJ at the 4, but you almost have to play Kalu beside him to avoid getting abused on the boards. Either way, I don't know that Robinson deserves minutes at this point, but I pay no attention to who starts.

The energy Wade and Kithcart brought was a big help. Im not sure we can play both of them together for more than a couple minutes due to their lack of shooting (thought Kithcart has shot better than I expected) and erratic play (mainly Kithcart vs. Marshall). Both are still learning the system and get erratic at times.

Carver has really stepped up his game over the past couple weeks. Its a real shame he went down.

I like that Wade and Ezikpe have clearly earned minutes despite the notion that Jones refuses to play freshman.

RE: ODU vs WKU - odu09 - 01-06-2019 11:32 AM

(01-06-2019 09:56 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-05-2019 07:25 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Easy f’ing money.

Im sorry you lost money. Go get em next time!

So do you unblock him during wins or what

RE: ODU vs WKU - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 11:38 AM

(01-06-2019 11:32 AM)odu09 Wrote:  

I went through the game thread and unlocked all the blocked posts (not just his). It was a lot of fun to read last night.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Roy Munson - 01-06-2019 11:49 AM

I was impressed with Bassey but still, did it seem to everyone here that it was the quietest 19/12 ever?

RE: ODU vs WKU - odu09 - 01-06-2019 11:50 AM

I can see why it's easy to pick on Robinson, he plays limited minutes and doesn't add a lot to the stat sheet, and is so slow that he is usually a defensive liability. Having said all that, I think he did a fantastic job in playing part of wearing Bassey down. Bassey was gassed halfway through the first half, and it's due in part to Robinson, AC, and Dickens giving a lot of contact and wearing him down. Robinson is a huge man, and a solid brick wall when he's playing in his spot. So, just wanted to give some props to the guy.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Mr.BigBlue - 01-06-2019 11:59 AM

Kalu's comment regarding his job was to move Bassey away from the basket to get touches spoke volumes to me about his role and his desire to compete. Kalu for a Freshman is a beast and will be solid player for us.

RE: ODU vs WKU - 757ODU - 01-06-2019 12:20 PM

Hopefully Kithcart can continue to get the minutes that he did last night.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 12:20 PM

(01-06-2019 12:20 PM)757ODU Wrote:  Hopefully Kithcart can continue to get the minutes that he did last night.

He may have to without Godwin.

RE: ODU vs WKU - 757ODU - 01-06-2019 12:24 PM

(01-06-2019 12:20 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-06-2019 12:20 PM)757ODU Wrote:  Hopefully Kithcart can continue to get the minutes that he did last night.

He may have to without Godwin.

The energy he brings is incredible. I wouldn't start him because he is the definition of a spark. I am really excited to see what he can be in the future, if he does all of the right things on and off the court. We have some serious toughness on the perimeter. Justice and Jason are so tough. I really hope that we continue to see a high usage of 4 guard lineups. BJ is such a good rebounder, that I think we can make it work.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 12:28 PM

He brings a toughness off the bench that I think energizes the rest of the team. Hopefully Green expands his shots and is willing to take more 3 pointers, which I think could allow Caver, Wade or Kithcart, Green, Stith, Dickens or Kalu to work.

Looking ahead, the addition of Oliver is a perfect compliment to Wade/Kithcart. We are going to need that knock down shooting.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Monarchblue - 01-06-2019 01:25 PM

(01-06-2019 11:30 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The only problem I see with Dickens is we have to pair him with good rebounders because he's still not rebounding for some reason. Maybe you can get away with BJ at the 4, but you almost have to play Kalu beside him to avoid getting abused on the boards. Either way, I don't know that Robinson deserves minutes at this point, but I pay no attention to who starts.

The energy Wade and Kithcart brought was a big help. Im not sure we can play both of them together for more than a couple minutes due to their lack of shooting (thought Kithcart has shot better than I expected) and erratic play (mainly Kithcart vs. Marshall). Both are still learning the system and get erratic at times.

Carver has really stepped up his game over the past couple weeks. Its a real shame he went down.

I like that Wade and Ezikpe have clearly earned minutes despite the notion that Jones refuses to play freshman.

You should, because we started down 21-0 or something yesterday.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Gilesfan - 01-06-2019 01:33 PM

(01-06-2019 01:25 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(01-06-2019 11:30 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The only problem I see with Dickens is we have to pair him with good rebounders because he's still not rebounding for some reason. Maybe you can get away with BJ at the 4, but you almost have to play Kalu beside him to avoid getting abused on the boards. Either way, I don't know that Robinson deserves minutes at this point, but I pay no attention to who starts.

You should, because we started down 21-0 or something yesterday.

And won the game.

The reason we were down 21-0 wasnt because Robinson was starting. It was also like 2-0 when he was subbed out.

RE: ODU vs WKU - ODU Hoops - 01-06-2019 02:07 PM

(01-06-2019 11:32 AM)odu09 Wrote:  

No, some people would just rather we lose so they can complain. It is so predictable now that it is funny. What a great win, and a great atmosphere at the Ted!

RE: ODU vs WKU - CalODUFan - 01-06-2019 02:19 PM

(01-06-2019 10:32 AM)JJMonarch Wrote:  [quote='monarchfan4life' pid='15813721' dateline='1546784419']
Amazing comeback!!! The team really showed us how tough they can be when the game is on the line. Loved watching Wade, Kithcart and Ezipke show us what we have in store for the next few years. And Dickens - he was on fire!

We're looking forward to following the Monarchs to Florida - glad to hear northbeachmonarch is planning to go as well. I hope to see some other Monarch fans down there as well.
[/quote

Wishing you and Northbeach safe and fun travels. Help bring home a couple wins for our Monarchs!

I will be in Miami on business so going to FIU game.

RE: ODU vs WKU - Blue_Trombone - 01-06-2019 03:38 PM

I wonder if one of the reason's why we play Robinson in the beginning is to see if we can't get the opponents starting center/forward to foul him, especially against a team like WKU who has a talented center. We went straight to Robinson for the first possession of the two halves. He can go up strong to the basket. If he can limit turnovers at that position and learn how to handle the ball better in the paint I could see him working in that capacity.

As many have stated before, this game was won by the role players. Caver and Stith had great games for sure, but WOW! Wade, Kithcart, Ezikpe, and to a lesser extent Green and Dickens, went off. Those five, along with Godwin and Carver, are the future of ODU basketball and it's great being able to watch them grow. This feels so much more like a complete team compared to previous Jones years. This squad has so much potential that I hope can be realized come March time.

RE: ODU vs WKU - N2theBlue - 01-06-2019 03:50 PM

If Robinson would work on his footwork, he could be a force. Seems like he gets called for traveling at least once a game.

RE: ODU vs WKU - ODU AGGIE - 01-06-2019 04:28 PM

I just watched the replay. What a heck of a game. We just have to find a way to get away from these slow starts. Lord knows we cannot overcome every large deficit we let build up, especially the 21-point ones.

RE: ODU vs WKU - JJMonarch - 01-06-2019 05:32 PM

A funny moment. Did anyone notice about the 11:30 mark of the second half Bassey went down on the floor trying to save a ball going out of bounds. Kalu went over and extended a hand to help him up and Stith pulled him away, like " we don't need to help him". My buddy and I were laughing hard at that moment. A learning experience for the freshman.

RE: ODU vs WKU - cmett003 - 01-06-2019 05:41 PM

(01-06-2019 05:32 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  A funny moment. Did anyone notice about the 11:30 mark of the second half Bassey went down on the floor trying to save a ball going out of bounds. Kalu went over and extended a hand to help him up and Stith pulled him away, like " we don't need to help him". My buddy and I were laughing hard at that moment. A learning experience for the freshman.

I noticed that but I though kalu was saying something and BJ pulled him away to not get in trouble with the ref