CSNbbs
OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising (/thread-867167.html)

OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - FrankAnderson - 12-27-2018 07:57 PM

Football is in the off-season and EMU basketball hurts to think about at the moment, so I'm gonna share this data-driven look at why tuition at public universities keep rising: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fancy-dorms-arent-the-main-reason-tuition-is-skyrocketing/?ex_cid=538twitter

Cuts in state funds are overwhelmingly responsible for increases in tuition at public schools. Not rising administrative salaries or sports. In Michigan, more than 85% of tuition increases since 2000 are due to cuts in state funding. 85%!

I understand that this isn't going to change anytime soon, so we can argue how universities allocate their budgets going in light of that. And this isn't intended to be a political argument. But next time someone complains about football or salaries making their tuition cost skyrocket, remind them that 85% of increases in Michigan come from state budget cuts.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - TheWoodenNickle - 12-27-2018 08:34 PM

Frank, thanks for sharing this. I've been complaining about state cuts for years, usually in regard to K-12 education. To say I know a few teachers and school administrators is an understatement. Not to be political, but a lot of this is driven by the GOP. Engler did a lot of damage to schools.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Ken Barna - 12-28-2018 07:35 PM

Dear Friends,
Let's not forget that the charter schools are sucking much money from both the public schools and the universities.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - holybovine - 12-29-2018 03:32 PM

You mean it’s not faculty salaries bankrupting the system? I thought they were the enemy of the people?

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - TheWoodenNickle - 12-29-2018 04:31 PM

(12-28-2018 07:35 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
Let's not forget that the charter schools are sucking much money from both the public schools and the universities.
I'll never forget that Ken. Charters are the product of corruption and have done great harm to public schools. All for profit.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Boca Rocket - 12-29-2018 05:52 PM

(12-29-2018 04:31 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(12-28-2018 07:35 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
I'll never forget that Ken. Charters are the product of corruption and have done great harm to public schools. All for profit.

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/new-report-card-out-for-charter-schools

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Ken Barna - 12-29-2018 06:18 PM

Dear Boca Rocket,
So what. The number of schools they studied is insignificant to the overall number of charters overall. In Michigan, the charters are under no significant control of the State Board of Education, do not have to accept special education students, about one third are for profit, and with the testing done in Michigan, most of the charters are no better then the public schools. As WoodenNickle said they are nothing, but a boondoggle to the opponents of public education.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Boca Rocket - 12-30-2018 07:50 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/02/08/geographic-disparity-states-best-and-worst-schools/1079181001/

Look at the rankings and what Michigan spends per pupil compared to its neighbors. Ohio, Indiana, etc. Even Florida, which spends about $3,000 less per pupil is ranked higher.

RE: OT: Data-driven look at why public university tuition is rising - Ken Barna - 12-30-2018 10:31 AM

Dear Boca Rocket,
Again, so what. The argument as I understood it, is the fact that charter schools are no more effective than the public schools in Michigan. If, you want to color the argument with information from a study done, fine. It does not change what is going on in Michigan with charters.