CSNbbs
What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio (/thread-867105.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - HellBlazer - 12-26-2018 02:18 PM

Are we well positioned?
Positives- New Stadium , Winning Football, Great Coach, Academics

Negatives- Basketball, UATBOT

What do yall think?

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - GoBlazers468 - 12-26-2018 03:41 PM

So they have 12 teams currently (13 if you count Wichita State). Let's say they decided to expand to 16 (17) so that they could have two 8 team divisions, which would work, with having 7 divisional games, two cross divisional, and then 3 OOC games. Let's look at who they would consider from G5 conferences:

Sunbelt - closest they would have would be Troy and Appalachian State. I think those markets, and schools are both way too small for them to be seriously considered.
MAC - Maybe Northern Illinois? Again, I feel like they are too small market to draw much interest
Independents - If Army was interested, I'm sure AAC would jump all over that opportunity. I don't see that happening though. I don't think UMass would be interested but you never know. Why aren't they in a conference already anyway?
C-USA - I think Southern Miss, Marshall, and UAB would be the only ones they would seriously look at. Southern Miss because they have a good bit of history as a respected program, Marshall is a pretty well known name due to the movie about them, and is consistently competitive, and then us because of the recent success and tangible commitments to building world class facilities via the stadium, operations building, etc. La Tech, MTSU, N Texas, and that crowd are too recently removed from being in the Sunbelt to be considered. I think the AAC would be snobby about that.

So I would say it would be pretty slim pickings for the AAC, so we would have a chance. I don't think anyone in the AAC would be overly jazzed about us joining. Kind of like when CUSA had our most recent exodus and we got the F_U teams and other random directional schools.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - UABFRENCHY - 12-26-2018 03:54 PM

B-12 will be a lot better

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - WesternBlazer - 12-26-2018 04:31 PM

(12-26-2018 03:41 PM)GoBlazers468 Wrote:  So they have 12 teams currently (13 if you count Wichita State). Let's say they decided to expand to 16 (17) so that they could have two 8 team divisions, which would work, with having 7 divisional games, two cross divisional, and then 3 OOC games. Let's look at who they would consider from G5 conferences:

Sunbelt - closest they would have would be Troy and Appalachian State. I think those markets, and schools are both way too small for them to be seriously considered.
MAC - Maybe Northern Illinois? Again, I feel like they are too small market to draw much interest
Independents - If Army was interested, I'm sure AAC would jump all over that opportunity. I don't see that happening though. I don't think UMass would be interested but you never know. Why aren't they in a conference already anyway?
C-USA - I think Southern Miss, Marshall, and UAB would be the only ones they would seriously look at. Southern Miss because they have a good bit of history as a respected program, Marshall is a pretty well known name due to the movie about them, and is consistently competitive, and then us because of the recent success and tangible commitments to building world class facilities via the stadium, operations building, etc. La Tech, MTSU, N Texas, and that crowd are too recently removed from being in the Sunbelt to be considered. I think the AAC would be snobby about that.

So I would say it would be pretty slim pickings for the AAC, so we would have a chance. I don't think anyone in the AAC would be overly jazzed about us joining. Kind of like when CUSA had our most recent exodus and we got the F_U teams and other random directional schools.

The number 1 choice would be Ga State from the Sun Belt...

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - ATTALLABLAZE - 12-26-2018 04:50 PM

Keep an eye on U-Conn.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - GoBlazers468 - 12-26-2018 06:05 PM

(12-26-2018 04:50 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Keep an eye on U-Conn.

UConn is already in the AAC. Unless you are implying something else?

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - LairDweller - 12-26-2018 06:21 PM

(12-26-2018 06:05 PM)GoBlazers468 Wrote:  

https://www.journalinquirer.com/sports/uconn/uconn-big-east-chatter-starts-to-bubble-as-aac-asks/article_f35b0238-fd5c-11e8-8df8-8f037a981e10.html

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - Memphis Blazer - 12-26-2018 06:32 PM

UConn, Cincy and Memphis have wanted out of the AAC since they invited teams like Tulane, ECU and Tulsa. If we ever get to the AAC, I suspect those teams will be gone and it will be another version of CUSA

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - BlazerGreen - 12-26-2018 07:46 PM

(12-26-2018 04:31 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 03:41 PM)GoBlazers468 Wrote:  So they have 12 teams currently (13 if you count Wichita State). Let's say they decided to expand to 16 (17) so that they could have two 8 team divisions, which would work, with having 7 divisional games, two cross divisional, and then 3 OOC games. Let's look at who they would consider from G5 conferences:

Not sure how that is true if being competitive is relevant. Their football program is going backwards.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - WesternBlazer - 12-26-2018 08:40 PM

(12-26-2018 07:46 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

Not sure how that is true if being competitive is relevant. Their football program is going backwards.

1. Atlanta
2. Competive sports, including top BB program. Compared to where they were 5 years ago, FB program is light years better.
3. New/renovated stadium.
4. DEEP POCKETS and BIG plans for the university; willing to let everyone know it

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - biglizard - 12-26-2018 08:58 PM

Man how would you like to be UConn's football coach trying to recruit in that environment ??

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - BlazerGreen - 12-26-2018 09:01 PM

(12-26-2018 08:40 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 07:46 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

1. Atlanta
2. Competive sports, including top BB program. Compared to where they were 5 years ago, FB program is light years better.
3. New/renovated stadium.
4. DEEP POCKETS and BIG plans for the university; willing to let everyone know it

Winning one game in the Belt and barely beating Kennesaw for their other win doesn't seem light years better than much.

We have a great chance to be the top candidate depending on what we do with basketball in the next 15 months or so.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - MAN4UAB - 12-26-2018 09:04 PM

(12-26-2018 06:32 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  UConn, Cincy and Memphis have wanted out of the AAC since they invited teams like Tulane, ECU and Tulsa. If we ever get to the AAC, I suspect those teams will be gone and it will be another version of CUSA

I agree. They feel about us the same way some of us feel about a few of our conference members.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - BatesUAB - 12-27-2018 10:08 AM

(12-26-2018 06:21 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 06:05 PM)GoBlazers468 Wrote:  

https://www.journalinquirer.com/sports/uconn/uconn-big-east-chatter-starts-to-bubble-as-aac-asks/article_f35b0238-fd5c-11e8-8df8-8f037a981e10.html

That's interesting. I had forgotten that we went DI before they did. You know they would love to get their basketball team back into the Big East, and while I don't think they would drop football outright, I could envision them going back to D-IAA. Idaho recently did just that.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - the_blazerman - 12-27-2018 10:14 AM

We are not totally SOL unless we hire Sir Andy Kennedy as our head basketball coach.

Like mentioned before, teams with crappy basketball programs and history have been snatched up.

What it will take is a president, board, AD, etc. with ducks in a row lobbying for it.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-27-2018 10:53 AM

(12-27-2018 10:14 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  We are not totally SOL unless we hire Sir Andy Kennedy as our head basketball coach.

Like mentioned before, teams with crappy basketball programs and history have been snatched up.

What it will take is a president, board, AD, etc. with ducks in a row lobbying for it.

What this points up is the question, if any conference should be interested in approaching UAB, who exactly would they talk to? The UAB President? The UABOT? As long as the power / authority to make major decisions lies 60 miles to the west, will such a conference bother with our internal struggles?

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - the_blazerman - 12-27-2018 11:04 AM

Yep, the problem is there & I'm not sure the BOT would be overly interested in UAB moving up.

With that said, Mackin didn't pick up the phone when the AAC previously called. Watts instructed him to ignore it.

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - Memphis Blazer - 12-27-2018 12:31 PM

Is there any proof other than Blazertalk propaganda that the AAC ever called?

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-27-2018 12:56 PM

(12-27-2018 12:31 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Is there any proof other than Blazertalk propaganda that the AAC ever called?

If so, it was never reported to any of our usual "inside the loop" BT posters. It is just like the period after 12/02/14 when no basketball conferences were reported to be courting UAB to join them after football was terminated, and C-USA notified Dr Watts that the school would be expelled within a year. (Watts quickly backed down and reinstated the football program by June,2015)

RE: What are the chances we will be invited to the AAC if there is another rd of expansio - ATTALLABLAZE - 12-27-2018 12:57 PM

The BOT will not stop us from moving up. Let’s put that to bed now.

No proof that they called.