CSNbbs
Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Basketball (/forum-339.html)
+------ Thread: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin (/thread-865621.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - ETSUfan1 - 12-05-2018 09:59 PM

Date: December 8th, 2018

Time: 4:00 PM

Opponent: UT-Martin (3-3, 0-0 OVC)

Place: Freedom Hall (6,000)

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN+ ($4.99 per month)

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

UTM 2018-2019 Schedule

UTM 2018-2019 Roster

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Buc'ed_Up - 12-06-2018 11:01 AM

Would venture to guess we will be around a 10-12 pt. favorite

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - etsuandpurdue3 - 12-06-2018 12:20 PM

Hoping I can get out to this game. Glad we will be healthy with Bo Hodges and Patrick Good out there.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - BigIslandBuc - 12-07-2018 10:10 AM

Coach Forbes on the radio this morning.

-Before the game with UTM, Alvin West's family and some former teammates will be introduced in a ceremony honoring Alvin.

- When Forbes was asked about UTM, he said they have quick guards that drive well and shoot the 3, especially from long range. They aren't particularly big in the post. They force a number of turnovers.

-When asked, he said that playing Reinhardt was part and parcel with the scheduling dilemma that they have every year. They needed to have a home game on Monday and the NCAA allows them 2 non division 1 games. He didn't really want to play on a Monday directly after a Saturday game, but he didn't have much choice.

-Coach said that he was bothered by the turnovers in the Reinhardt game, especially by the 13 made by the 2 centers.

-When asked, obviously as a bit of friendly needling, Forbes explained that Monday's win went on his total, not Coach Shay's.

-UTM is part of a home and home, but ETSU had to pay them cash in addition in order to have the first home game.

-When asked about Patrick Good's status, Coach said he was questionable for Saturday. He has a hip injury. The doctor told him he could have surgery on it or he could play as long as he could bear the pain of it as it wouldn't worsen the condition. Good said that he would prefer to play. He plays until the pain prevents him from doing so. He has not practiced this week. He will probably have surgery after the season. Forbes is most concerned how this will affect Good during league play with a Thursday/Saturday schedule and the long bus rides.

-When asked if he was concerned by the small number of times his guards get to the foul line, Coach said that wasn't a big concern for him as he would rather that they play to their strength which is shooting from outside rather than driving to the basket where they would gather more fouls.

-Forbes said that they haven't been able to practice that much because of their schedule and school work. He was looking forward to the time after finals when they could get in the gym and practice more.

When asked about Williamson, he said that it appears that the game at this level is starting to slow down for him and he praised his 3 point shooting and ability to drive to the basket. He said that, although he still is somewhat thin, he had actually gained 15-16 pounds this summer

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 12-07-2018 10:52 AM

Thanks for the report. I guess nobody cares about asking about Corley.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - BucDoctor - 12-07-2018 10:59 AM

(12-07-2018 10:52 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Thanks for the report. I guess nobody cares about asking about Corley.

Buried in the news story today was information about Corley. ETSU has asked for a medical redshirt for him. Not much more in way of details.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Buc'ed_Up - 12-07-2018 11:01 AM

(12-07-2018 10:59 AM)BucDoctor Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 10:52 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Thanks for the report. I guess nobody cares about asking about Corley.

Buried in the news story today was information about Corley. ETSU has asked for a medical redshirt for him. Not much more in way of details.

It's at the bottom of this article.. https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Basketball/2018/12/06/Hodges.html

Hate that Pat will have a nagging hip injury all year.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 12-07-2018 11:25 AM

That's really, really too bad.
This team may end up struggling more than many on this board projected.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Running_Fool15 - 12-07-2018 02:05 PM

(12-07-2018 11:25 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  That's really, really too bad.

Based on what? The three losses this team has are to the 41st (Creighton), 64th (Wofford), and 112th (Georgia State) ranked teams in the country right now. Two of those losses were by 6 points or less. I see no reason to think this team won't be competing for the SoCon championship in 3 months.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - shampoo - 12-07-2018 02:28 PM

While I want Good healthy and safe on the court, I’m more concerned to see a renewed focus out of Hodges and our post players. We have plenty of shooters. It would be nice to see Bernard find his own. That guy is a tough matchup and long defender, if he can get it going on offense. Harrison could do more for us. Will be really interesting to see what this team looks like by February.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 12-07-2018 03:07 PM

(12-07-2018 02:05 PM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 11:25 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  That's really, really too bad.

Based on what? The three losses this team has are to the 41st (Creighton), 64th (Wofford), and 112th (Georgia State) ranked teams in the country right now. Two of those losses were by 6 points or less. I see no reason to think this team won't be competing for the SoCon championship in 3 months.

Well, just my overall 'sense' - which of course could be wrong. The injuries are part of it. I just am not confident Hodges, Good, etc. will be healthy for most of the season - on top of Corley.
But also all the stuff I wrote after the Wofford loss - about the (*possible*) mental aspects of that. I think the pundits were *possibly* more right about our predicted finish (3rd or 4th) in the conference than those hereon who said first or second. The collective wisdom of all together, tho, could be pretty powerful. The truth is almost certainly 'somewhere' in there.

I don't think this team has an 'identity' yet. Not surprising...……….but that needs to get filled out. Wofford exposed us more than I thought they would (even tho I predicted a Wofford win). We're relying a bit too much on the 3-ball. And yes, Forbes said he's comfortable with that, which is ok. But that's just going to fail us sometimes. We know that; he knows that. We've seen it already (see Georgia St.). And without a penetrating-capable guard (remains to be seen whether Williamson and/or Curtis can step up in that role), then a cold-shooting-from-outside night will hurt badly.
Add to that the failure of our inside guys on occasion (see Wofford) is a shortcoming that earlier appeared less likely to rear up.

I think we lose more to the top other teams (UNCG, Wofford, Furman, maybe Mercer) than last year (especially if one omits the late-season swoon). Mostly due to those first three teams listed seeming to have upgraded to a considerable extent.
And I think we'll take a loss or two from mostly unexpected places - like Citadel, or WCU, for example.
I'm NOT saying this team WON'T be competing for the SoCon championship - only that the odds of that being successful are less likely than in the last two years - based on what I've seen so far.

Some of it just the "eye test" aspect; I've been watching ETSU teams for way more years than you've been alive, so I think I've got some degree of historical value of projections vs. reality over the decades.
And to be clear, I'm NOT saying ETSU will not finish 1st or 2nd - just that it's less likely than the last two years. IMO.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - James Wilson - 12-07-2018 03:39 PM

Ok, IMO our team who seem to hang out together and are not greedy players, really want the success that Forbes projects to them. They seem to buy into it and the grit and toughness will come while becoming more skilled game after game. And if they continually improve barring anymore injuries will be there at the end. Last year the conference caught up to us , this year we will catch up to them. IMO

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - swvabucsfan - 12-07-2018 03:42 PM

UT Martin is a different animal in December since former SoCon Freshman of the Year 6-2 190 Jr Preston Parks (Citadel transfer) became eligible. Since that time they are 2-1 with wins over Western Illinois and UNC-Asheville and a loss at Tulane. Parks is by far their best 3 point shooter averaging .467 with 2.0 makes, for 13.7 points per game. Second best is .333 ( 15.0 ppg 6-0 170 R-Sr Kevin Little). When they lost to Mercer, Parks was not yet eligible. Parks and Little are UT Martin’s 2 top scorers and they have only been on the floor together for 2 games (a win over UNC-Asheville and a loss at Tulane). They should both be playing tomorrow.

Overall 3-3 Tennessee Martin is rated #282 by Kenpom. Their wins are all at home: over non D1 Cumberland; by 2 points (92-90) at home over 4-5 Western Illinois (#218), and at home over 1-7 UNC-Asheville (#335). They’ve lost all 3 road games thus far: at #111 Western Kentucky (86-71), at #184 Mercer (77-60) and at #188 Tulane (86-74).

Kenpom has the #132 Bucs favored by 79-67. But I don’t know if they are really factoring in how the addition of Parks has improved them.

UT-Martin shoots .313 from 3, averaging 7.8 makes. Rebounding is -5.5. Turnovers are -4.3.

Guards:
#03 6-0 170 R-Sr Kevin Little, played in 4 of 6 games; 30.0 min., 15.0 ppg on .333 from 3 (2.8 makes), 4.0 assists, 2.8 t.o.’s, 1.5 steals
#00 6-2 190 Jr Preston Parks Former Citadel SoCon Freshman of the Year; played in3 of 6 games, 27.7 min., 13.7 ppg on .467 from 3, 1.7 t.o.’s, 1.7 steals
#05 6-3 210 Jr Derek Hawthorne; 28.5 min., 12.7 ppg on .320 from 3 (1.3 makes), 5.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.7 turnovers
#11 5-10 190 Sr Delfincko Bogan; 31,2 min., 11.7 ppg, .320 from 3 (1.3 makes), 2.7 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.7 steals
#04 6-3 185 So. Parrish Hewitt; 29.3 min., 8.8 ppg on .304 from 3 (1.1 makes), 4.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists

Front Court:
#12 6-8 230 R-Sr Fatodd Lewis; 26.0 min., 9.8 ppg,.211 from 3 (0.7 makes), 4.2 rebounds
#22 6-8 200 Jr Quintin Dove; 17.5 min., 9.2 ppg, .286 from 3 (0.3 makes), 3.7 rebounds
#30 6-8 235 Sr Jailen Gill; 17.5 min., 5.7 ppg with 0 3’s, 4.8 rebounds
#42 6-9 215 Jr. Jeremy Joyner: 5 games; 11.8 min., 4.2 ppg, 0 3’s, 2.6 rebounds

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Flippmb - 12-07-2018 05:07 PM

(12-07-2018 02:05 PM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  

I agree that, so far, this team doesn't pass the eye test. And, it's not just the losses, it's how they've played, at times, in games they've won. With this many new players, this shouldn't be surprising.

So, the question is, will they get better and better as the season progresses, or will they continue to be up and down? This team has shown plenty of skill, but certainly not on a consistent basis.

Developing that consistency will, in large part, depend on the coaches — which, I believe, bodes well for the Bucs. I don't think there are enough scribes or coaches in the SoCon to invoke the "wisdom of the crowd" rule. And, if you are tempted to do so, keep in mind that this staff has exceeded those expectations every year.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - BucDoctor - 12-07-2018 06:17 PM

Good, Hodges, AND Armus listed as day to day according to Press article.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - shampoo - 12-07-2018 06:45 PM

Did Armus pull a muscle heaving bricks? (Love you, Armus, but get well and make some freethrows!)

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Buc'ed_Up - 12-08-2018 04:04 PM

Have we won a tip all year?

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Bucs06 - 12-08-2018 04:44 PM

What an abomination of a half

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 12-08-2018 05:39 PM

(12-08-2018 04:44 PM)Bucs06 Wrote:  What an abomination of a half

Boy, you got that right. It was not obvious, but appared very likely, that ETSU's superior talent would eventually win out, but it was ugly, ugly basketball for a long time.

RE: Official Game Thread: UT-Martin - Bucs06 - 12-08-2018 05:44 PM

Great, great game for Jeromy. Hope he does this in league play. Watching him and Armus play through each other is beautiful basketball.