CSNbbs
UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back (/thread-865179.html)

UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - ODU True Blue - 12-01-2018 06:33 PM

Beats Middle Tenn by 2 points.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - monarx - 12-01-2018 09:03 PM

Shows a turnaround can happen quickly with support, the right coaches and good recruits.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Petey Hodge - 12-01-2018 09:20 PM

Yeah but,

I'd take a win over a ranked VT any day instead of a CUSA title...

I'm curious what bowl UAB will get? Billy Bob's Beef O'Brady Carquest Bowl?

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Justanodufan - 12-01-2018 09:58 PM

(12-01-2018 09:20 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  Yeah but,

The fact that “ranked” VT team had to pay marshall 1.3 million just to become bowl eligible, shows that they never should have been ranked.

That aside, it is possible to beat a “P5” at home AND win a conference title. It’s not as if it’s an either or kind of thing.

As far as what bowl game they’ll receive, whatever it is will be better then sitting at home after a 4-8 season.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - odusteeler - 12-01-2018 11:58 PM

A program that was non-existent 2 years ago can win our conference...what does that say?

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - ODUalum78 - 12-02-2018 12:06 AM

(12-01-2018 11:58 PM)odusteeler Wrote:  A program that was non-existent 2 years ago can win our conference...what does that say?

About us or about our conference....05-stirthepot

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Roy Munson - 12-02-2018 12:55 PM

(12-01-2018 09:58 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 09:20 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  Yeah but,

The fact that “ranked” VT team had to pay marshall 1.3 million just to become bowl eligible, shows that they never should have been ranked.

That aside, it is possible to beat a “P5” at home AND win a conference title. It’s not as if it’s an either or kind of thing.

As far as what bowl game they’ll receive, whatever it is will be better then sitting at home after a 4-8 season.

I think the final arrangement was $300K plus a home and home series in the future. Not a bad deal at all for Marshall.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Gilesfan - 12-02-2018 01:06 PM

(12-01-2018 11:58 PM)odusteeler Wrote:  A program that was non-existent 2 years ago can win our conference...what does that say?

I think people assume UAB started from scratch. They were able to keep some of the players plus they were given waivers so recruits could come and practice without losing a year of eligibility.

P.S. we won 10 games in our 3rd year as well

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - north beach monarch - 12-02-2018 02:40 PM

(12-02-2018 01:06 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I think people assume UAB started from scratch. They were able to keep some of the players plus they were given waivers so recruits could come and practice without losing a year of eligibility.

It’s was actually our 8th consecutive year not 3rd.

No, UAB did essential start from scratch. There were NO players still around.
Players that transferred in didn’t have to sit out a year , so 13 from their old team transferred back in from other schools. Only 13. They were also allowed to recruit 2 classes in the first year instead of 1 recruiting class. But they did essentially start from scratch.

We are going in the opposite direction, getting worse with every recruiting class. It does show that it’s easier to rebuild football compared to basketball. Our staff is definitely doing something wrong. 1 more year and it should be start over time.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - north beach monarch - 12-02-2018 02:56 PM

And this is UABs 2nd year back not 3rd. 1st team went 8-5 and went to a bowl, 2nd team went 10-3 and won a conference championship. We went backwards

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - Gilesfan - 12-02-2018 06:05 PM

(12-02-2018 02:40 PM)north beach monarch Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 01:06 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

It’s was actually our 8th consecutive year not 3rd.

No, UAB did essential start from scratch. There were NO players still around.
Players that transferred in didn’t have to sit out a year , so 13 from their old team transferred back in from other schools. Only 13. They were also allowed to recruit 2 classes in the first year instead of 1 recruiting class. But they did essentially start from scratch.

We are going in the opposite direction, getting worse with every recruiting class. It does show that it’s easier to rebuild football compared to basketball. Our staff is definitely doing something wrong. 1 more year and it should be start over time.

Our 3rd year of FBS we won 10 games.

You are right...2nd year. For some reason, i thought it was 3rd.

There are ebb and flows with most teams. They had left over players and a ton of JUCOs. They built to get back to success as quickly as possible (as opposed to building with freshman). They were a very experienced team.

Kudos to them, lets see if they can susstain that with consistency as they lose a lot this year.

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - MonGNARch - 12-03-2018 08:17 AM

(12-02-2018 12:06 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

About us or about our conference....05-stirthepot

There's a tweet from Bobby about ODU being one of 4 teams to win 10 games in a season in the last 5 years... That means the CUSA champ one year only won 9. I think that is more telling of where this conference is lol

RE: UAB wins CUSA football championship in 2nd yr back - LeftUprightAndIn - 12-04-2018 12:26 PM

It says that they got most of the players on a good 2015 team back with crazy NCAA waivers. They got to recruit 50+ players. This wasn't like a total shocker, they had a bunch of talent that were freshman and sophomores before they got kicked, then they stayed and got to play as rs Seniors in the class but considered juniors on the field.